BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

GTB Performance

07-24-2007, 11:01 AM   #23
absoluteis350
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: audi RS4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keto View Post
I wouldn't choose an Audi if I were concerned about depreciation...
I wouldn't choose any European maker for that matter

But certainly if they really do make 100k M3's, that means these things will be like accords. 2k M3's per state (probably more since the central US wont see that many) and you are talking about a pretty common car, relatively speaking.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 11:04 AM   #24
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteis350 View Post

But certainly if they really do make 100k M3's, that means these things will be like accords. 2k M3's per state (probably more since the central US wont see that many) and you are talking about a pretty common car, relatively speaking.
They made 84k E46 M3's, and I'll take that depreciation, thanks.

EDIT: get the stats right!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 11:54 AM   #25
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leg View Post
Sorry guys, dont underestimate how much I want the new M3 to be great. I dont want an RS4 and at £55K there isnt another new 2+2 coupe I can think of so if I dont like the M3, Im stuffed. My order is in, depsoit down and it will remain so until I can judge the car for myself. However, you cant surely be taking the above write up as positive? The negative comments far outweigh the positives by a long way, it is there in black and white, not my opinion, it is there in the article for all to read.

My point is, instead of being sat here, smug, excitedly awaiting my new £55000 car Im sat here worrying it will be a let down. That just shouldnt be the case with a BMW M3 costing this much.
+1 on that. Sure, the fellow claiming that the article said or just that it "is" the case that the E46 M3 is a better or more capable car than the E92 M3 was just flat out wrong, duh. But there is no denying the amount of negative comments or comparisons where the Audi bested the M3 (steering wheel, interior, exterior looks, engine compartment looks, interior sound, etc.). Sure most of these are not so critical when you are shopping for a PERFORMANCE car, nonetheless the lost points of the competition and the narrow margin of overall victory is a bit disappointing.

I feel quite the same way about the other EVO article, the main review. Brake shudder and squeal criticised and this just should not be happening on this car. However, +1 on the steering comments, just what I wanted to hear. Hopefully the brake issues are simply isolated to the brake components themselves (i.e. nothing to do with the suspension or chassis), ones easily replaced with a sexy BBK.

All that being said, just like Leg said - there just is not much else in this exact category and you can't beat the price. Lastly and most importantly if you want the fastest, the most performance and most engaging drive there is only one choice here.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 12:38 PM   #26
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
+1 on that. Sure, the fellow claiming that the article said or just that it "is" the case that the E46 M3 is a better or more capable car than the E92 M3 was just flat out wrong, duh. But there is no denying the amount of negative comments or comparisons where the Audi bested the M3 (steering wheel, interior, exterior looks, engine compartment looks, interior sound, etc.). Sure most of these are not so critical when you are shopping for a PERFORMANCE car, nonetheless the lost points of the competition and the narrow margin of overall victory is a bit disappointing.

I feel quite the same way about the other EVO article, the main review. Brake shudder and squeal criticised and this just should not be happening on this car. However, +1 on the steering comments, just what I wanted to hear. Hopefully the brake issues are simply isolated to the brake components themselves (i.e. nothing to do with the suspension or chassis), ones easily replaced with a sexy BBK.

All that being said, just like Leg said - there just is not much else in this exact category and you can't beat the price. Lastly and most importantly if you want the fastest, the most performance and most engaging drive there is only one choice here.
+2 on Leg's original comments. One should really be free of question marks and be completely excited about what is to come if one is about to part with $70k in total out the door (much worse for the Europeans).

+1 on Swamp's comment on how there is no performance alternative that fits the bill--at least for the time being. (Swamp, do you think it would be a worthwhile effort to buy a late E46M3, tear it up, lighten it even further, upgrade it as much as one can as a performance alternative?)

That's why I am on the sidelines, still hoping for the best and considering, but no money down, waiting my turn to experience it in person...
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 12:42 PM   #27
carnuts3
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2008 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leg View Post
Sorry guys, dont underestimate how much I want the new M3 to be great. I dont want an RS4 and at £55K there isnt another new 2+2 coupe I can think of so if I dont like the M3, Im stuffed. My order is in, depsoit down and it will remain so until I can judge the car for myself. However, you cant surely be taking the above write up as positive? The negative comments far outweigh the positives by a long way, it is there in black and white, not my opinion, it is there in the article for all to read.

My point is, instead of being sat here, smug, excitedly awaiting my new £55000 car Im sat here worrying it will be a let down. That just shouldnt be the case with a BMW M3 costing this much.
I agree with you. And the only way to address the situation is to go see and test drive all 3. At the end of the day, if you decide to go with either the RS4 or C63, I would understand completely. In fact, just on the basis of style, I'm sorry to say that the M3 comes out last in this comparo - IMO.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 01:08 PM   #28
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

M3 still VERY likely in my future

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
+2 on Leg's original comments. One should really be free of question marks and be completely excited about what is to come if one is about to part with $70k in total out the door (much worse for the Europeans).

+1 on Swamp's comment on how there is no performance alternative that fits the bill--at least for the time being. (Swamp, do you think it would be a worthwhile effort to buy a late E46M3, tear it up, lighten it even further, upgrade it as much as one can as a performance alternative?)

That's why I am on the sidelines, still hoping for the best and considering, but no money down, waiting my turn to experience it in person...
Personally I am done on the heavy modding (painfully obvious from those who have read my posts...). Maybe wheels, tires, BBK, tint, etc. That about it for me. If you really want what a heavily modded E46 M3 will deliver, and the sacrifices you'll endure, it would be a great choice. The E92 M3 is still very likely to be in my garage when my spot in line comes up. Call me "soft" - I do care that the new M seems to be significantly more comfortable than the E46. Sure I rant on and on about performance, performance, performance but heck I simply want it all. M-DCT is also a big factor for me as well. I suspect it will be brilliant.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 01:29 PM   #29
M3onTwomps
First Lieutenant
Iraq
Rep

Drives: '02 E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy View Post
It's funny how for the last two weeks you have been trying to make nice and act unbiased. I guess everyone was right when you first came around trolling.
When did that clown act unbiased? Please.

Also, I get the feeling we won't be seeing him around much anymore. Along with a few others. LMMFAO!

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 02:00 PM   #30
M3onTwomps
First Lieutenant
Iraq
Rep

Why do they have the M3 listed heavier than the RS4?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 02:03 PM   #31
M3onTwomps
First Lieutenant
Iraq
Rep

Quote:

Relatively speaking?

1) There won't be 2000 cars per State. Some will have many more than others.

2) Do you realize how many cars there are on the streets? 100k is just a drop in the bucket. That's even if 100k is achieved. And if it is, that'll be a mix of coupes, verts, sedans, and possibly touring.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 02:27 PM   #32
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3onTwomps View Post
Relatively speaking?

1) There won't be 2000 cars per State. Some will have many more than others.

2) Do you realize how many cars there are on the streets? 100k is just a drop in the bucket. That's even if 100k is achieved. And if it is, that'll be a mix of coupes, verts, sedans, and possibly touring.
100k worldwide, 50% to the states, so average 1k cars per state.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 02:31 PM   #33
M3onTwomps
First Lieutenant
Iraq
Rep

Quote:
Even better. Thanks for pointing that out.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 02:32 PM   #34
schhay07
Rep

Drives: blue 3 coupe

oh plz don't let it be touring...can you imagine the M badge on them?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 02:35 PM   #35
M3onTwomps
First Lieutenant
Iraq
Rep

If 50k do sell in the US, yes, the average would be 1k per State, but some will have many more than others.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 03:23 PM   #36
SKBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Drives: Bicycle

Send a message via MSN to SKBMW
      07-24-2007, 03:51 PM   #37
13eastie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: 2007 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:

Relative to what? 100K is only a target anyway, but FWIW, that is only 19% more than the no. of E46 M3's sold. In the meantime there are another 13% more cars on the roads in the US in any case. This is a ridiculous reason to decide against the E92 M3 which just might become slightly more common than 1 in 5,000!

Quote:
I wouldn't choose an Audi if I were concerned about depreciation...
http://www.whatcar.co.uk/depreciatio...18&ED3=0&ED4=0

Nor would I... The M3 is traditionally one of the slowest depreciating cars. I would say anyone who has bought a new RS4 in the last couple of months may have more money than sense...
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 03:58 PM   #38
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If 50k do sell in the US, yes, the average would be 1k per State, but some will have many more than others.
100,000 M cars distribution:

70,000 California
20,000 Florida
9,064 New York, Texas, Michigan
34 shared among the remaining 45 states
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 04:19 PM   #39
m_bazeepaymon
Major
Rep

Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Send a message via AIM to m_bazeepaymon
Quote:
that wat I have been thinking....

ZzZzZ'er
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 04:23 PM   #40
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Still skewed

Quote:
That is the correct figure, but with a statistic so hugely uneven it does not help much in understanding. Between CA, NY, NJ and TX I bet you have 25k+ cars. Between AK, ND, SD, AL and ME I bet you have <2k cars. That is pretty rough but you get the point.

P.S. Consolidated: Sorry you missed my point - exactly!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 04:30 PM   #41
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
100,000 M cars distribution:

70,000 California
20,000 Florida
9,064 New York, Texas, Michigan
34 shared among the remaining 45 states
No, if this thing really doesn't deliver big time, and considering the price, it will mainly be owned by people who own toys and die hard fans, and the distribution will look more like:

90863 Gulf States (one for each extended royal family member for each state)
54 US (one for each US M3Post member who post actively on this forum with deposit down as those are the only ones on dealers lists who will actually buy)
27 UK (one for each UK M3Post member who post actively on this forum with deposit down as those are the only ones on dealers lists who will actually buy)
23 Rest of Europe (way too many Euros for this beast)
10 China (would have been more, but no oil available for V8s)
5 Russia (Senior Executives of GazProm)
4 Rest of Asia (too poor to afford it)
4 South America (too poor to afford it)
4 Africa (too poor to afford it)
1 Japan (Nissan GTR will be released early for the Japanese market)
1 Australia (communication breakdown due to geography: they didn't even know it was going to be released)
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 04:31 PM   #42
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Exactly

Quote:
Would like to know this as well. The official EU std. curb weight figures are 1655 and 1725 kg AFAIK.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 04:32 PM   #43
Steved
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: M3 CSL, AMG ML63, B7 RS4 Avant

Quote:
I keep trying to correct this in magazines but they prefer to stick by manufacturer quoted weights, partly for legal reasons and partly because its difficult to estimate actual weight without actally weighing the car. EVO now has its own scales and tries to weigh cars that it track tests, and we will use them when the full test of the M3 is performed later in August.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 04:37 PM   #44
m_bazeepaymon
Major
Rep

Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Send a message via AIM to m_bazeepaymon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved View Post
I keep trying to correct this in magazines but they prefer to stick by manufacturer quoted weights, partly for legal reasons and partly because its difficult to estimate actual weight without actally weighing the car. EVO now has its own scales and tries to weigh cars that it track tests, and we will use them when the full test of the M3 is performed later in August.
thank you for the clarification

ZzZzZ'er
Appreciate 0