BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Alpine HID

09-05-2012, 12:21 AM   #45
hk328
Private First Class

Drives: Z4, X3

For me the shifter feels fine. 1-2 can be a little smoother, but all in all great. However, I think the bigger problem is the clutch. I have had many manual cars, but this m3 seems the harderest to get used to...
hk328 is offline   United_States
      09-05-2012, 12:28 AM   #46
duk
///M

Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

2011 here with 16k miles... 6MT isn't greatest I've driven but far from worse. It's actually pretty decent. On spirited runs and smashing, never have missed a shift. Yes, it's a tad notchy and vague at times but it's very good imo.

duk is offline   United_States
      09-05-2012, 05:45 AM   #47
doc19
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 e90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crypty
My e92 M3 is my first manual experience. I've heard some gripes about the transmission in this car, but i've got nothing to compare to. That said, some shifts do NOT feel good.

1st to 2nd has a very notchy(I think that's the choice word) where I feel like I have to exert more pressure than is comfortable to get pop it into gear. This is VERY much the case under high RPMs and it will pretty much refuse until the RPMS fall into the right spot a few hundred lower.

Going from 2nd-3rd, I sometimes feel a slight grind. It doesn't pop into gear as smoothly as the rest. I think this is a result of every so often not clutching ALL the way in but I'm not sure.

My warranty expires in Feb so I want to get a jump on making sure everything is normal.
I have had the same exact experience. I am at 12k and the shifts have smoothed considerably - or it could be that I have adjusted to the car. Haven't hopped into another 6mt in awhile to see.

Last edited by doc19; 09-05-2012 at 07:35 AM.
doc19 is offline   United_States
      09-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #48
Bel-Tirid
Private First Class

Drives: M3 e92 Interlagos blue

but still bmw has the hardest trany. If i compare to my ex Sti 06, m3 is like bodybuilder vs Sti ninja.

so u have to own a jeep wrangler 5mt, where from first to second is like 1m, then your m3 feels like a mega quality space ship
      09-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #49
See5
Real Goon

Drives: Nothing

Drive a T-56 eqipped car with an aftermarket short shifter. Then jump back into your car. Be careful as you might rip the shifter out of place.

I've never driven a Japanese or German car that gets close in terms of effort. After driving modded Mustangs, 'Vettes, F-bodies, etc. BMW transmissions are pretty easy.
See5 is offline   United_States
      09-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #50
tibra1
Banned

Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3an View Post
half you guys here are comparing cable actuated Honda trannys to BMW 6 speeds.. Are you fuckin kidding me???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
Yes, because we are talking about the feel of it..
I like the feel of my cable actuated Mitisubishi tranny .. To be clear thats tranny as in transmission ... not transvestite
tibra1 is offline   No_Country
      09-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #51
mshab356
Go ///M or go home

Drives: a ///Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybam View Post
Honestly, the O2M transmission is the best transmission I have ever driven. I loved my 20AE GTi, but someone decided to total it for me by not stopping at a red light.
It definitely is a great transmission! Very nice, smooth shifts. But damn I am sorry to hear your 20AE got totaled I had my car crashed into by other drivers on two different occasions, once in the front and once in the back luckily never totaled. Sold that thing back in 2008 after putting 20k miles on it. Love that thing! One of the best exhaust notes I've heard

mshab356 is offline   United_States
      09-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #52
m3an
Banned

Drives: M3

Quote:
Yes, because we are talking about the feel of it...
yes that's what I'm getting at. The feel is direclty related to the shifter. On a FWD or AWD car, you are shifting cables that attach to arms off the trans.. The feeling would never be the same, it just doesn't make sense. FWIW the M 6 speed is a fantastic unit.
      09-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #53
davesaddiction
is fast cars

Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII/Silver

From Winding Road:

"...after taking care to drive both the six-speed manual car and the seven-speed DCT in equal measure over the course of our afternoon test, we can confidently report that the stick shift is the lesser transmission. Other than the oddly hidden “park” setting (see our M6 Convertible review for a similar complaint), the DCT is more perfectly matched and sweeter to operate than its traditional counterpart. Certainly the DCT is faster to use on the track, and as direct and engaging as any similar system we’ve used to date. But, to be fair, it’s the vast averageness of the 6MT that seals the deal. The stick shift feels balky to engage at any engine speed under, say, 6000 rpm. The throws are short enough, but the action between gates is strangely hesitant, with an odd bumpiness between first and second, especially."

http://www.windingroad.com/articles/...ource=email-10

Is the transmission in the new M5 a different piece, or the same that is in the E9x M3? I'm assuming it's not - I don't remember these kinds of complaints when reading articles about our car in the past.

Either way, not good to hear...
davesaddiction is offline   United_States
      09-05-2012, 06:57 PM   #54
m3an
Banned

Drives: M3

Quote:
What makes no sense to you? That I prefer the shifter of the rear-wheel drive Honda S2000?

Thanks for playing though.
well a s2k uses a conventional trans w/ shifter direclty to trans no cables so yeah... The posts were made to illustrate the differences between all the trans and the resultant transmitted feel through the shifter
      09-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #55
6spdg37s
Captain

Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
ive also had couple MT cars before this, ive had the g37s 6mt and s2000. the s2000 was the best in transmission, it had shorter throws, and the engagement point was spot on, i feel like the m3 has too soft of a clutch pedal that sometimes i cant feel the engagement at all... but the g37s had the worst tranny ive ever driven... worst then my friends civic si!
bro i had a g37s too ! it was definitely not a good trans... very odd clutch release point and it would buck alot especially in traffic in 1st
      09-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #56
serranot
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crypty View Post
My e92 M3 is my first manual experience. I've heard some gripes about the transmission in this car, but i've got nothing to compare to. That said, some shifts do NOT feel good.

1st to 2nd has a very notchy(I think that's the choice word) where I feel like I have to exert more pressure than is comfortable to get pop it into gear. This is VERY much the case under high RPMs and it will pretty much refuse until the RPMS fall into the right spot a few hundred lower.

Going from 2nd-3rd, I sometimes feel a slight grind. It doesn't pop into gear as smoothly as the rest. I think this is a result of every so often not clutching ALL the way in but I'm not sure.

My warranty expires in Feb so I want to get a jump on making sure everything is normal.
I would describe mine exactly like yours. My Boxster was a lot better. Corvette was marginally worse.
      09-05-2012, 08:22 PM   #57
LarThaL
Colonel

Drives: 2011 M3

I love and have always loved the clutch on the M3 from day one. I find it very light and easy to modulate. The shifter seemed a bit rubbery in its movements when new, but that has gotten a lot better over my 14 months of ownership. I have no complaints whatsoever at this point. The lightness of both the clutch and shifter make fast shifts very easy, and I have no trouble finding the gears.

09-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #58
PhillyNate
BMWCCA #405750

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2014 Scion FR-S  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
I find it very light and easy to modulate.
Light, YES. Easy to modulate would imply that you can actually feel what the clutch is doing. The fact I'm able to modulate with any skill at all has to do with the fact I've been rowing my own gears for years. I trust you have as well. It's not the car, it's us. Unless your clutch feels a helluva lot better than mine.

"what I'm driving here...is an ending." Jeremy Clarkson
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe (reluctantly sold 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe (retired 06/21/11
)

PhillyNate is offline   United_States
      09-05-2012, 09:51 PM   #59
rye m3
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011.75 E92 M3

Best tranny ever??? Not sure what kind of cars some of you have been driving. Some have touched on the points, too light a clutch that is hard to modulate and know where the engagement point is. And the tranny is way too stiff and rubbery. Hard to engage in 2nd, either coming up from 1st or down from 3rd. If you think this tranny is good, drive a Porsche 997. You'll never believe you survived with your M3. Even drive an E36 M3, the tranny is so much better. 400 hp or not, there are plenty of high HP cars with better trannies. This tranny has been a disappointment from day 1. I've learned to live with it and love so many other aspects of the car that I'm over it. But I can't help but laugh when people say this is the best tranny ever...

2007 997S - sold
2003 E46 M3 Steel Grey on Red- sold
1997 E36 M3 Arctic Silver on Black- sold
rye m3 is offline   Switzerland
      09-05-2012, 09:53 PM   #60
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 6|Ridge 1:54:61|Pacific 1:35:72

Drives: Race car->

for me its good enough not to be a problem but would like more feel and stiffer clutch action. its a weak point in an otherwise stellar car so not a deal breaker.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings & bearings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW race|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
1MOREMOD is offline   United_States
      09-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #61
the_road_less_traveled
Id rather be boating...

Drives: Baja 26 Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crypty View Post

I just took my car to the shop for this and the master tech rode with me to duplicate. When i shifted i was slightly pulling up. This is the cause for most.misses. Grip the shifter on top and pull back, not back and slightly up. The tranny has a delicate linkage.
the_road_less_traveled is offline   United_States
      09-06-2012, 01:13 AM   #62
CCLSVTM3
Lieutenant

Drives: Interlagos blue E90 M3

Mine isn't too bad.... Def knot hey from 1-2, about it...

CCLSVTM3 is offline   United_States
      09-06-2012, 09:18 AM   #63
robbiedawg
Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 ib e90 m3, 1995 acura nsx

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
1995 ACURA NSX-T  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfirer1guy View Post
I just took my car to the shop for this and the master tech rode with me to duplicate. When i shifted i was slightly pulling up. This is the cause for most.misses. Grip the shifter on top and pull back, not back and slightly up. The tranny has a delicate linkage.
interesting-by grip it on top do you mean palm on top of the shifter,knuckles forward?

~EVERYTHING IN MODERATION,INCLUDING MODERATION ~
robbiedawg is offline   United_States
      09-06-2012, 11:01 AM   #64
kchu221
JDM whore

Drives: 2009 Porsche 911 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdg37s View Post
bro i had a g37s too ! it was definitely not a good trans... very odd clutch release point and it would buck alot especially in traffic in 1st
yup! i mean overall, the car was nice, but the transmission was something i couldnt live with... especially after driving some other MT's..
      09-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #65
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '11 E90 M3, '12 958 S

Send a message via AIM to a burrito
Decent but probably not the easiest first car to learn on. I personally came from Porsches and Japanese transmissions so the M3 is just average to me

AD08. Akra. Huper Optik. KW V3. Macht Schnell. RE SSK. TMS.
a burrito is offline   United_States
      09-06-2012, 06:10 PM   #66
PhillyNate
BMWCCA #405750

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2014 Scion FR-S  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfirer1guy View Post
Grip the shifter on top and pull back, not back and slightly up. The tranny has a delicate linkage.
Interesting, this is the way I've always shifted and perhaps why I've had no issue... but I doubt it. Maybe I got one with great linkage and gates but we ALL got virtually no clutch feel.

"what I'm driving here...is an ending." Jeremy Clarkson
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe (reluctantly sold 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe (retired 06/21/11
)

Last edited by PhillyNate; 09-06-2012 at 06:52 PM.
PhillyNate is offline   United_States