BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

GetBMWParts
View Poll Results: How likely would you be to buy one of these at the right price?
VERY likely to purchase 12 52.17%
SOMEWHAT likely to purchase 4 17.39%
POSSIBLE interest for purchase 5 21.74%
NO interest for purchase 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

12-07-2015, 01:00 PM   #1
bmwlover0725
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

Arrow Any interest in a working o2 simulator for test pipes?

I'm trying to gauge interest in this. I know there has been little to no success using the non-fouler trick on these cars and the "mini-cat" has failed in most cases and almost always on M5's. I've been working for a while now to create an O2 sensor adapter that would work on catless pipes to prevent the SES light from triggering.

While I'm still in the process of some finishing touches (the R&D is all me and I'm limited on time due to my normal job and having a family), I'm seeing results that are leading me to believe that this is going to work. In fact, it's 99% working as of now, but I have a few tests left to complete to ensure that it always sets the monitor.

For starters - I'll address a few points that I'm anticipating people will be asking about.

-You're probably wondering why would wouldn't just get a tune. Here are the reasons.

-It is significantly more expensive to purchase a tune
-This maintains the ability to set the factory monitor for cat efficiency
-It allows you to keep the vehicle "stock" in terms of warranty coverage. The only thing you would be required to do is reinstall your cats for work to be done which would mean removing your sensors from this device and leaving it installed to the test pipe.

-Most of these cars will be out of warranty soon anyway.

-Within a couple of years they will. However this is going to be targeted to and eventually tested on more than just a couple of M cars. Possibly other makes as well. This is aimed at being the most comprehensive solution to almost every vehicle that runs catless. It is far more advanced than a conventional non-fouler setup and should be able to trick the vast majority of newer, intelligent ECU's.

-Will they have a money-back guarantee?

-Most likely once I am finished testing. I believe that a product that truly works should be backed with this, but I'm currently in search of a company that would work on it with me. I don't have anything to machine parts with, so this has all been done by hand (painful, trust me). My determination and the progression of my results has kept me fighting to make it work and it's been paying off so far.

-Will you sell me one now? (I've been asked this)

-No, but depending on whether or not somebody does this with me or I get an operation going on my own, I'll most likely be looking for people to test them. I still have to put a process for that in place and create terms. That will come soon hopefully, but I want to finish this first and get it 100% working for myself before I spend money to send these out for free for testing.

-Is it patented?

-It is patentable. I wouldn't do anything with this until the final project is complete, but trust me - I'll be jumping right on it as soon as I finish my testing.

-Is it legal?

-It is a TEST simulator for TEST pipes, so yes.

Please vote to show your interest in a product like this. BE HONEST. I want serious answers here please. I'm 25 years old, I'm a finance manager at a dealership, and I have a family. This was supposed to be a side project for myself before I realized what the completed product could be. Keep in mind while voting that this is not just a small niche product for M cars. It is aimed at all vehicles and will be priced competitively to compete with the other potential CEL solutions on the market while knocking them out of the water. Also keep in mind that your vote should count for interest in a finished and working product, not one in testing.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 01:27 PM   #2
p-lethal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 Le Mans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwlover0725 View Post
I'm trying to gauge interest in this. I know there has been little to no success using the non-fouler trick on these cars and the "mini-cat" has failed in most cases and almost always on M5's. I've been working for a while now to create an O2 sensor adapter that would work on catless pipes to prevent the SES light from triggering.

While I'm still in the process of some finishing touches (the R&D is all me and I'm limited on time due to my normal job and having a family), I'm seeing results that are leading me to believe that this is going to work. In fact, it's 99% working as of now, but I have a few tests left to complete to ensure that it always sets the monitor.

For starters - I'll address a few points that I'm anticipating people will be asking about.

-You're probably wondering why would wouldn't just get a tune. Here are the reasons.

-It is significantly more expensive to purchase a tune
-This maintains the ability to set the factory monitor for cat efficiency
-It allows you to keep the vehicle "stock" in terms of warranty coverage. The only thing you would be required to do is reinstall your cats for work to be done which would mean removing your sensors from this device and leaving it installed to the test pipe.

-Most of these cars will be out of warranty soon anyway.

-Within a couple of years they will. However this is going to be targeted to and eventually tested on more than just a couple of M cars. Possibly other makes as well. This is aimed at being the most comprehensive solution to almost every vehicle that runs catless. It is far more advanced than a conventional non-fouler setup and should be able to trick the vast majority of newer, intelligent ECU's.

-Will they have a money-back guarantee?

-Most likely once I am finished testing. I believe that a product that truly works should be backed with this, but I'm currently in search of a company that would work on it with me. I don't have anything to machine parts with, so this has all been done by hand (painful, trust me). My determination and the progression of my results has kept me fighting to make it work and it's been paying off so far.

-Will you sell me one now? (I've been asked this)

-No, but depending on whether or not somebody does this with me or I get an operation going on my own, I'll most likely be looking for people to test them. I still have to put a process for that in place and create terms. That will come soon hopefully, but I want to finish this first and get it 100% working for myself before I spend money to send these out for free for testing.

-Is it patented?

-It is patentable. I wouldn't do anything with this until the final project is complete, but trust me - I'll be jumping right on it as soon as I finish my testing.

-Is it legal?

-It is a TEST simulator for TEST pipes, so yes.

Please vote to show your interest in a product like this. BE HONEST. I want serious answers here please. I'm 25 years old, I'm a finance manager at a dealership, and I have a family. This was supposed to be a side project for myself before I realized what the completed product could be. Keep in mind while voting that this is not just a small niche product for M cars. It is aimed at all vehicles and will be priced competitively to compete with the other potential CEL solutions on the market while knocking them out of the water. Also keep in mind that your vote should count for interest in a finished and working product, not one in testing.
I can be one of the test mules if necessary!
      12-07-2015, 01:41 PM   #3
8600RPM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

I think based on questions that come up there is a good market
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 02:57 PM   #4
Hierlevelz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 AW E9X M

Yes absolutely
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 03:10 PM   #5
rcracin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Biggest thing to me is price. I'm very interested though.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 03:24 PM   #6
svinfinity
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 JEREZ M3

Very interested as well
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 11:11 AM   #7
bmwlover0725
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

Get ready for a long post...

I'm glad to see there is some good interest here. I've been busy at work, but I've been spending my spare time on the lift modifying and testing for the past few days since I posted this. Thank you for the votes. It's motivating to see that people are curious about this. Also for anyone who reads this thread. Vote even if you don't have interest before you leave. I want ANYONE looking to vote if they're willing.

Now with that out of the way, here is my update:

I'm having the best progress I've seen to date. My original issues have been that my bank 1 reading has been off on several occasions and my datalogging was showing that bank 1 didn't pass more than 5% of the time and the readings were very inconsistent until last night. This is after probably 100+ drives and 30+ times on the lift.

What I did to diagnose that issue was simply swap sensors. Bank 1 now passes perfectly the way that bank 2 used to and bank 2 fails the way bank 1 did and rarely passes. My conclusion - one of my sensors is lazy (extremely lazy based on my graph). This was also an issue before the test pipes.

My other problem is that I've been having to pop start my car recently and my battery is bad (especially in cold temperatures of course) so I should probably get a new battery as well. My TPMS is having a malfunction, my radio is turning on randomly, and last night my left headlight went out. I know these are all issues with a bad battery. My memory settings are also freaking out so I'm assuming the battery thing can screw up the FRM which I'm guessing is reset when you register a battery.

At this point I need to get a new battery and I'm going to replace BOTH sensors to ensure accuracy and because I know the new sensors will be much pickier than old ones which is what I want. Based on what I'm seeing so far, the new sensors should still pass with flying colors. As long as they do, I'll be moving onto the next step which is going to be figuring out how to go about designing them on CAD and finding somebody who will make one off of my design.

Assuming that goes alright, I'll be testing the final product which should operate identically to my prototype and I'll go forth with finding people to test them and patenting.

I'll cut myself off here for now, but one thing I forgot to mention in my Q&A was about why you'd do this over an electronic simulator. Electronic simulators seem to be inconsistent and difficult to make for these cars. Not to mention they aren't as simple to install. This is a 100% mechanical fix which at this point is reading almost identical to a catalytic converter. They're more advanced in design than what exists and they work in any driving condition/temperature the same way a cat would make a sensor read (whether you're driving like your mother or on a track... both of which may be the same thing depending on how your mother drives). I can do these on a lift in 15 minutes. It's the same as removing and installing O2 sensors. The reason these cars are so good at figuring out when you don't have cats is because from my understand and testing, the front sensors (unlike other vehicles) adapt to your rear sensors which is why people often don't just get a cat efficiency code when they try the non-fouler trick, rather a trim control adaptation one. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong there, but I'm quite certain that this is the main problem. Plus the sensors are EXTREMELY sensitive which is why the "mini-cat" fix rarely (if ever) works.

Thanks again for checking this out. I'll try to update more frequently. Feel free to ask something if you have any questions in the meantime.

Last edited by bmwlover0725; 12-10-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Appreciate 0