BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

08-20-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
BeachM

Drives: 2008 M3. Space Gray. DCT.

Bad Day

Driving home on the interstate from a funeral, behind a Waste Management garbage truck. He hits a big bump and rocks fly up and spider my windshield. Pull up beside him and he pulls off at next exit. We call his supervisor and the police. 2 hours later I get a report filed and am on my way. Call insurance company, USAA. I get through to the Safelite glass representative. He files my claim and will get the windshield replaced Saturday. I explain I have a police report and he seems uninterested. I will have to pay $100 deductible. The money is no big deal, but the truck was the one that damaged my car. Why would I pay? Call USAA back and talk to another person. Explain what happened and she files with a senior insurance claim rep. I feel the outcome is going to be me paying the $100, but I wanted USAA to look into the matter and try to talk to the Waste Management insurance people. Am I stupid for trying to get them to pursue this? If this was just a stray rock I would not pursue this. But, I saw it fly off the truck and there was a cloud of rocks and dirt that peppered my car.
BeachM is offline   United_States
      08-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
Brucewonder
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 yea boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachM View Post
Driving home on the interstate from a funeral, behind a Waste Management garbage truck. He hits a big bump and rocks fly up and spider my windshield. Pull up beside him and he pulls off at next exit. We call his supervisor and the police. 2 hours later I get a report filed and am on my way. Call insurance company, USAA. I get through to the Safelite glass representative. He files my claim and will get the windshield replaced Saturday. I explain I have a police report and he seems uninterested. I will have to pay $100 deductible. The money is no big deal, but the truck was the one that damaged my car. Why would I pay? Call USAA back and talk to another person. Explain what happened and she files with a senior insurance claim rep. I feel the outcome is going to be me paying the $100, but I wanted USAA to look into the matter and try to talk to the Waste Management insurance people. Am I stupid for trying to get them to pursue this? If this was just a stray rock I would not pursue this. But, I saw it fly off the truck and there was a cloud of rocks and dirt that peppered my car.
you pay deductible regardless. you should have gotten his lic plate #
      08-20-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
BeachM

I have license plate number, pictures of truck with gravel and mud all over the under carriage, and a police report. Also have numbers to supervisors at Waste Management.
      08-20-2012, 08:22 PM   #4
dimabimmer
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

I've gone through several windshield replacements with my other cars. My advice to you,- make sure safelight installs ONLY OEM windshield!!! I am sure they would try to put in some cheap glass Made in China etc., those winshields are so bad!!! Don't let them pull that on you! ... make sure they know you only want OEM or else!
Best of luck!
      08-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
Giggs
Major

Drives: R8

Quote:
You will pay the $100 initially and as long as they find the other driver at fault your insurance company should refund you your $100. At least that's how it works with my insurance at State Farm.
Giggs is offline   United_States
      08-20-2012, 08:29 PM   #6
MineralWeiss
USAF Retired

Drives: 2011 BMW M3

You should file your claim with Waste Management's insurance. Anytime you use your insurance you normally pay the deductible.
MineralWeiss is offline   United_States
      08-20-2012, 08:30 PM   #7
BeachM

I figured if it is pursued I would get a refund. Familiar with Safelite. They did my Range Rover. Made sure it was OEM. Will do the same here. I get to sit around on my birthday waiting on a new windshield. Happy Birthday to me.
      08-20-2012, 08:31 PM   #8
mdosu
Banned

Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggs View Post
You will pay the $100 initially and as long as they find the other driver at fault your insurance company should refund you your $100. At least that's how it works with my insurance at State Farm.
+1. let the insurance companies handle it. If they're at fault, you'll get reimbursed. What did your insurance agent say?
mdosu is offline   No_Country
      08-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #9
dimabimmer
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColumbusC
I've gone through several winshield replacements with my other cars
haha nevermind!
... but I did have to replace 4 windshields...
      08-20-2012, 09:30 PM   #10
m3an
Banned

Drives: M3

Quote:
I figured if it is pursued I would get a refund. Familiar with Safelite. They did my Range Rover. Made sure it was OEM. Will do the same here. I get to sit around on my birthday waiting on a new windshield. Happy Birthday to me.
First world problems.
      08-21-2012, 07:58 AM   #11
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Keep bugging USAA. When I first got my car it was hit in the parking lot. Of course it was already insured (it was like 2 weeks old), but I didn't feel that I should have to pay a deductible for someone else's screw up. I had the police report done, I had the other drivers info and insurance and all... After a few phone calls and a little bit of bugging with USAA, they caved and paid everything for me for the repairs and went after the other guy's insurance. I didn't pay a dime (full bumper replacement and one ZCP wheel replacement).