BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

Mporium BMW

02-28-2009, 02:22 PM   #1
ucfsteven
Rep
Drives: 335i

SOS malfunction light no idrive features will work

I received the SOS malfuction light (SOS with a line through it) when this happened my Idrive would not work at all. There was no fuction of the radio CD player, Satelite radio climate control, naviagation or anything.

I pressed the SOS button and got an operator on the phone.

They told me that it means there is a POOR CELL SIGNAL in my area right now and it will correct itself. She also explaiend to me that the idrive functions work on this principle as well and if I have a poor cell area none of this will work because the SOS does not work.

This seems a bit insane to me. I walked back outside after parking my car and checked 15 minutes later everything works find now.

Has anyone else heard this as a reason for the SOS with the line through it? A poor cell signal?!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2009, 10:02 AM   #2
oilcrankinject
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfsteven View Post
I received the SOS malfuction light (SOS with a line through it) when this happened my Idrive would not work at all. There was no fuction of the radio CD player, Satelite radio climate control, naviagation or anything.

They told me that it means there is a POOR CELL SIGNAL in my area right now and it will correct itself. She also explaiend to me that the idrive functions work on this principle as well and if I have a poor cell area none of this will work because the SOS does not work.

This seems a bit insane to me. I walked back outside after parking my car and checked 15 minutes later everything works find now.

Has anyone else heard this as a reason for the SOS with the line through it? A poor cell signal?!

I have driven though areas in Louisana that have had no cell signal but I never had any problems.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 03:19 AM   #3
1Dinan135i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 Dinan modified 135i

SOS and Bluetooth are dead as the Bush Admin....

For a year I have been without my bluetooth and have the SOS warning indicator every time I start the vehicle. When it first happened BMW said it was a connection problem from satellite being unable to locate my car. It would connect after about 45 minutes of driving. Now it never connects and no bluetooth ability. The dealer told me they may have to take out the dash just to figure the problem and check 100 computer systems. It's the phone control module I think that is dead. Anyone have this issue? Resolution? Is it possible that I have to pay for the bmw assist for any of this to work. Any help would be great. Can't take the dash apart for that, or the airbag indent...too many squeaks now, it would be a nightmare I feel. In LA they treat 1 drivers at bmw like 2nd class. The rep was very cordial until he found out it was a 1. Then he became a bit hostile and that I would need to leave it for at least 2 days to diagnose, no loner, take it or leave it. I should have said I had a M6 and maybe he would have been polite.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2010, 04:57 PM   #4
catsim
Registered
Rep
Drives: 520d

idrive problems

I have just taken delivery of my new 520d and in less than 24hrs the idrive has failed. with the same symptoms you report. Is this a common problem and any known fixes?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 08:09 AM   #5
Sunay550i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 550i

i just got the sos malfunction and i have no audio Bluetooth,and my phone will not pair.its saying phone is not installed when i go to the menu!!!any advise on this its a 2008 550i its driving me crazy
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 08:37 AM   #6
Sunay550i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 550i

Sos Malfunction no audio,no bluetooth,sos malfunction on dash and cant pair my phone

SOS Malfunction no audio,no Bluetooth,SOS malfunction on dash and cant pair my phone.....phone is not installed call bmw for assistance and also assist is not working any ideas how to fix this????its a 2008 550i has logic 7
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 08:22 PM   #7
fitmaster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 Convert / 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfsteven

Had this happened several times on my 2006 650. Turned out that when the battery is discharge at a certain level the system shuts down non essential power hungry items. This according to the BMW tech. If you shut the car down and restart it will correct itself or if you drive it for a while. Try trickle charging the battery. Also had it happened to our 2009 3 series convertible. According to BMW it has nothing to do with Bluetooth or the phone signal. It's the battery. Traded both cars in for the 2013 M6 convertible. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0