BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source

04-06-2016, 12:57 AM   #1
cmo_93
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3

Got Test Pipes, Can't Decide on Rear....

I've searched and read every exhaust thread I could find and watched idk how many YT videos and I'm still stuck here.

I got myself a set of the MS Test Pipes and now I want to find a solid rear exhaust to go with them. (Afraid to go full catless for smell and they all seem to sound raspy)

Originally, I was pretty set on the Megan Exhaust, cheap and gets recommended a lot for pairing with test pipes.

But, now I'm considering spending a bit more to do it "right" the first time. However, still not wanting to spend more than 2k on the rear.

I'm looking for a deep sound down in the low rpms. But, I do NOT want it to disappear up top. I want to be able to hear the exhaust in the high rpms. Right now, all I hear is that (glorious) motor.

Been looking into Gintani Race but can only find one video of it with test pipes. One reviewer said it wasn't very noticeable up top, which scares me.

Looked at Remus Race but seems raspy per YT video, I could be wrong.

Looking at Evolve E-Tronic as well. Seems pretty good but I'm cautious about valved exhausts for some reason.

Any thoughts or recommendations from you guys?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 01:45 AM   #2
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3

Before S/C'ing - I had actually decided to install Megan with TP's. I heard this set-up in person, and it was very nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 02:20 AM   #3
ck-e92
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASBSECU E93 View Post
Before S/C'ing - I had actually decided to install Megan with TP's. I heard this set-up in person, and it was very nice.
I 2nd that, I just had my Megan installed today, also paired with MS test pipes. Got a nice growl down low, but really screams when you're on it. Can barely notice the exhaust is there when you're cruising.

.ck
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 04:33 AM   #4
American Dave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jerez Black E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
Borla Atak and don't look back
Jerez Black 2008 6MT with Borla Atak Exhaust/ M3 World X Pipe and Test Pipes/ aFe Pro Stage 2 Intake / 19" Advan DZ-DF Forged Wheels wrapped in ContiSport Contact 5P 245/35/19 Fronts & 285/30/19 Rears/ KW Var 3 Coilovers / BPM Sports Stage 2 Tuned/ VAC Rod Bearing & Bolt Replacement / Throttle Body Actuator Gear Set Replacement
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 05:09 AM   #5
2bits
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 e90

Megan/TP is about as good as you'll find at any price. If you feel $2k is needed to do it "right", spend $500 on the Megan, put the other $1500 in an envelope, and mail it to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 08:59 AM   #6
Kisenwether
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E92

I have a UUC Corsa rear. Pairs very nicely. Low end is deep and high still screams.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 08:59 AM   #7
Bucki14
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128 AW CR M-Sport | e92 DCT m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bits View Post
Megan/TP is about as good as you'll find at any price. If you feel $2k is needed to do it "right", spend $500 on the Megan, put the other $1500 in an envelope, and mail it to me.
+1 I want in on this too, so send 750 my way and 750 his way!

Megan/tp combo is one of the best dollar per sound you can buy. Unless your one of those guys raving about craftsmanship and beauty of the tips, yada, yada.

The sound is like nascar v8 and really screams up top with a nice rumble down low. I'm running a HFC xpipe with mine and my buddy has tp/megan combo sounds very similar. Slight drone around 2-2.5k rpm but depends on throttle input.

I was going to go IPE at first glad I saved the money sound is superb.

2009 e92 m3 | Jerez Black/Black | dct |

instagram: Ostate_M3
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 10:55 AM   #8
cmo_93
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Awesome! Thanks! Any exhaust plans with the S/C?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck-e92 View Post
I 2nd that, I just had my Megan installed today, also paired with MS test pipes. Got a nice growl down low, but really screams when you're on it. Can barely notice the exhaust is there when you're cruising.

.ck
Noticeably louder than OEM, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dave View Post
Borla Atak and don't look back
Before I even bought the car, this was the exhaust I had planned on when I was distracted by the Megan's pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bits View Post
LOL. Sounds like a deal to me! As long as you pay postage on the envelope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisenwether View Post
I have a UUC Corsa rear. Pairs very nicely. Low end is deep and high still screams.
Corsa was one I've heard tons of good things about but it looks so weird under there. I wonder if the work I would need to do to make it look nice to my eyes is worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucki14 View Post
+1 I want in on this too, so send 750 my way and 750 his way!

Megan/tp combo is one of the best dollar per sound you can buy. Unless your one of those guys raving about craftsmanship and beauty of the tips, yada, yada.

The sound is like nascar v8 and really screams up top with a nice rumble down low. I'm running a HFC xpipe with mine and my buddy has tp/megan combo sounds very similar. Slight drone around 2-2.5k rpm but depends on throttle input.

I was going to go IPE at first glad I saved the money sound is superb.
IPE was only considered if I had gotten a C63AMG lol

I'm not a big stickler for "craftsmanship" and all on the exhaust, bc I don't have to look at it. As long as there are no reported issues of it cracking or anything, I'm fine spending less for a nice sound.

How would you say it compares to OEM down low and up top....?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 12:14 PM   #9
ASBSECU E93
Rep

OP - I am very methodical with Modding. It took me a while to finally decide on the Megan exhaust with TP's, had to actually listen to the setups in person. Took me a while as you can imagine.

With the SC kit, I am back to evaluating a couple different options again....OCD is a terrible thing when car modding.
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 02:52 PM   #10
cmo_93
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
OP - I am very methodical with Modding. It took me a while to finally decide on the Megan exhaust with TP's, had to actually listen to the setups in person. Took me a while as you can imagine.

With the SC kit, I am back to evaluating a couple different options again....OCD is a terrible thing when car modding.
How would you compare the Megan/TP combo to OEM?

With the OEM, I like the sound down low and I actually like the bit of drone around 2k rpm. But, it just disappears up top. Ideally, I would like to increase the sound down low a little bit while maintaining tone and exponentially increase the sound up top to a freakish shrill scream that I can hear very well even over the intake sound.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 04:38 PM   #11
IIAp3x
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmo_93 View Post
I've searched and read every exhaust thread I could find and watched idk how many YT videos and I'm still stuck here.

I got myself a set of the MS Test Pipes and now I want to find a solid rear exhaust to go with them. (Afraid to go full catless for smell and they all seem to sound raspy)

Originally, I was pretty set on the Megan Exhaust, cheap and gets recommended a lot for pairing with test pipes.

But, now I'm considering spending a bit more to do it "right" the first time. However, still not wanting to spend more than 2k on the rear.

I'm looking for a deep sound down in the low rpms. But, I do NOT want it to disappear up top. I want to be able to hear the exhaust in the high rpms. Right now, all I hear is that (glorious) motor.

Been looking into Gintani Race but can only find one video of it with test pipes. One reviewer said it wasn't very noticeable up top, which scares me.

Looked at Remus Race but seems raspy per YT video, I could be wrong.

Looking at Evolve E-Tronic as well. Seems pretty good but I'm cautious about valved exhausts for some reason.

Any thoughts or recommendations from you guys?
Eisenmann Sport or Race... Nothing else sounds even close to it... Extremely unique exhaust tone that sounds like someone combined a Ferrari with a corvette... Its expensive, but you said "do it the right way the first time!"

I have the sport version and it sounds absolutely amazing, and I have a stock section 2/3 with cats! So I can't imagine how good it would sound with test pipes...

Last edited by IIAp3x; 04-06-2016 at 05:31 PM.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 10:40 AM   #12
JTO24
Got an 8:30 res at Dorsia
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 TZB F80 M3

I had ESS's rear paired with test pipes and I loved it.. I'd consider the same set-up again if I come back to the e9x.
      04-08-2016, 11:38 AM   #13
FRFNUGN
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I've got Gintani Race with test pipes. Everyone comments on how loud it is (not necessarily bad comments, that's just the first thing they say; or sometimes "that's not stock, is it?!"), but I've also gotten that it sounds like an F1 car. I try to redline it every opportunity I get, as the sound is amazing. Definitely drones a lot without any modifications. I added a couple Helmholtz chambers to reduce that, but it's still there and my wife sometimes complains on long trips (I stock the glove box with ear plugs now just in case).
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 11:57 AM   #14
p-lethal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 Le Mans Blue

i got turner test pipes paired with the borla atak. no regrets here.
      04-08-2016, 02:01 PM   #15
FMLYSDN
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Frozen Grey E90 M3

Garage List
I recently purchased a set of ESS TP and will be paring it with my Meistershcaft GT2 rear. I loved the GT2 since I first heard it. I wasn't sure about going to a full on x-pipe and so when I heard the test pipes combo I figured that's what I wanted.

Have a listen. Although this clip is ACM test pipes, I don't think it will differ from my ESS set.

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 02:50 PM   #16
ASBSECU E93
Rep

@[cmo_93](contact:299210) - For me, the Stock exhaust is far too tame. Initially, I sourced a donor rear exhaust canister and did the OEM Mod (Perforated method) and this really brought the sound to life while retaining the stock cats and look.

When I decided to add TP's, the OEM Mod is simply too loud when coupled with TP's - and I began to search for other viable options.

After much searching on YouTube and in person - I chose Megan, for cost and candidly the sound is on par with exhausts that are 3x the price.

Megan + TP's are almost OEM quiet under normal load (up to 80 mph). You do have a deeper and throaty tone than OEM at idle and normal acceleration, but it is not an unpleasant sound that screams or has rasp (on my 6MT anyway).

Under WOT - this set-up and sound becomes uncivilized and amazing, without the harsh or sharp tones that remind you of nails on a chalk board.

Remember - Everyone will have a different opinion on a perfect sound for the S65.

My opinions are mine and mine alone . IMO however; This set-up is about the biggest bang for your buck, and I would do again 10/10 times with just TP and the exhaust.

FTR - You can paint the chrome exhaust canister flat black to hide/camouflage it...
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 10:04 PM   #17
dpilat8588
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Check out my review of my setup (AE Performance Exhaust w/ MS catless x-pipe). There's a video as well.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1234697
Appreciate 0