BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

BPM Sport

01-21-2014, 02:04 AM   #1
tmntmn
///M

Drives: e92 M3/M-DCT

Clear lenses 3" ZKW-R OR 3" STI-R

Does any one know which clear lenses will work for our e9x headlights? trying to buy parts slow upgrade the headlamps
MODS: MODECARBON V2 GTS FRONT LIP & REAR DIFFUSER, AA GREEN FILTER, RPI SCOOPS, PSW, Verstraβe Extended DCT Shifter, ZCP WHEELS (SEMI-GLOSS), OHLINS R&T, Megan Exhaust, ACM TP, BMW LED INTERIOR, BLACKOUT W/ORION V4 LED AE, OSRAM CBI
tmntmn is offline   United_States
      01-21-2014, 09:12 AM   #2
LightWerkz
Banned

Drives: E90 M3

Ideally OEM ZKW lenses, but ZKW-R's will work just fine. STi-R is not proper focal point.
      01-21-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
tmntmn
///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWerkz View Post
Ideally OEM ZKW lenses, but ZKW-R's will work just fine. STi-R is not proper focal point.
is there a big difference or worth switching out our OEM lenses for ZKW lenses?
MODS: MODECARBON V2 GTS FRONT LIP & REAR DIFFUSER, AA GREEN FILTER, RPI SCOOPS, PSW, Verstraβe Extended DCT Shifter, ZCP WHEELS (SEMI-GLOSS), OHLINS R&T, Megan Exhaust, ACM TP, BMW LED INTERIOR, BLACKOUT W/ORION V4 LED AE, OSRAM CBI
      01-21-2014, 12:39 PM   #4
LightWerkz
Banned

Huge. Definitely brings the performance to the next level. Pair it up with some CBI bulbs and its excellent
      01-21-2014, 07:06 PM   #5
M3PO
Colonel

Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
Huge. Definitely brings the performance to the next level. Pair it up with some CBI bulbs and its excellent
+1

I put the ZKW-R lenses in my lights and the difference is very noticeable. While you are at it, remove the flap on the cut off shield that breaks up the cut off. I didn't do that and my cutoff isn't as clean as it could be.

01-22-2014, 06:28 PM   #6
tmntmn
///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
+1

I put the ZKW-R lenses in my lights and the difference is very noticeable. While you are at it, remove the flap on the cut off shield that breaks up the cut off. I didn't do that and my cutoff isn't as clean as it could be.

Thanks M3PO!

still debating if i should DIY or have someone local to do it
      01-23-2014, 09:07 PM   #7
M3PO
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntmn View Post
Thanks M3PO!

still debating if i should DIY or have someone local to do it
The lenses are a lot of work. You need to completely disassemble the "adaptive" part of the projector. Take a look at my DIY and you will see what I mean.
      01-23-2014, 11:23 PM   #8
Wei718
Captain

Drives: F80 M3

Not too bad! Just 2 torx screws and 3 mini harnesses plus 4 nuts to separate them all.
      01-24-2014, 10:13 AM   #9
Evolve-US
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: E92 M3

Very interesting information. Thanks guys! Might have to look into this when I send out my lights to lightwerks for some modifcations
      01-24-2014, 02:03 PM   #10
tmntmn
///M

Quote:
The lenses are a lot of work. You need to completely disassemble the "adaptive" part of the projector. Take a look at my DIY and you will see what I mean.
I notice you painted the flap Black, if i paint that section a certain color it will have that color effect on the projectors lenses right?

what do you mean remove the flap on the cut off shield that breaks up the cut off? sorry kinda lost at the moment

Oh yeah when you reseal your headlights did you use new seal or just the old one?
      01-27-2014, 09:29 PM   #11
M3PO
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntmn View Post
I notice you painted the flap Black, if i paint that section a certain color it will have that color effect on the projectors lenses right?

what do you mean remove the flap on the cut off shield that breaks up the cut off? sorry kinda lost at the moment

Oh yeah when you reseal your headlights did you use new seal or just the old one?
Yes. You can paint that flap pink and the projector lens will have a pink hue when the lights are not on.

This is the flap:

The lighter silver piece that is held on with two rivets.
      01-28-2014, 03:24 PM   #12
e92zero
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 E92 BW

Quote:
Yes. You can paint that flap pink and the projector lens will have a pink hue when the lights are not on.

This is the flap:

M3PO, is that the flap that you suggested to be taken out to have a cleaner cut off? Just drill out the 2 rivets? What about the holes after the rivets are drilled out?
      01-28-2014, 05:09 PM   #13
tmntmn
///M

Quote:

This is the flap:

I'll make sure to remove that silver piece on the flap, when i start on my light mod.

Thanks again for the DIY and info!
      01-31-2014, 08:58 PM   #14
M3PO
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92zero View Post
M3PO, is that the flap that you suggested to be taken out to have a cleaner cut off? Just drill out the 2 rivets? What about the holes after the rivets are drilled out?
One of the light modding companies (maybe lightwerkz?) suggested that in my thread. I have not done it. I believe you would need a way to plug the holes. Off the top of my head, I would use a small nut and bolt most likely.
      02-01-2014, 12:58 AM   #15
e92zero
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 E92 BW

Quote:
One of the light modding companies (maybe lightwerkz?) suggested that in my thread. I have not done it. I believe you would need a way to plug the holes. Off the top of my head, I would use a small nut and bolt most likely.
Thanks for the reply and sorry I got it mixed up with lightwerkz. Amazing work you did and sharing the details with picture with us nonetheless.
      02-01-2014, 07:39 AM   #16
LightWerkz
Banned

You just need to cut the flap off, no need to drill out the rivets and plug them up again.
      02-03-2014, 07:44 PM   #17
M3PO
Colonel

Quote:
You just need to cut the flap off, no need to drill out the rivets and plug them up again.
Thanks for the clarification. That is a good point. Leaving the "flange" behind is a good idea.
      04-01-2014, 07:23 AM   #18
Josh1a1h
Brigadier General

Drives: AzuriteBlack 335i E92

Could you just cut with a dremel and cutting blade along the line above the rivets but below the text and large circular hole?

Josh1a1h is offline   United Kingdom
      04-01-2014, 11:39 AM   #19
LightWerkz
Banned

correct