BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-18-2007, 01:27 PM   #1
superman
Private
6

 
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i silver
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New Hampshire


Posts: 88
iTrader: (0)

135i or 335i ?

I had my heart set on ordering an 08 335i coupe, and then bmw decides to send us the 135i coupe. Now I am not sure if I want to wait and see what the car is like or just order and 08 and get it by November. Plus side to 335i, is a little more room, but really nothing else I can see, other then the looks of the car. I think the 335i is better looking from what I have seen from pictures and I already love how the car drives. Plus side I see of 135i is probably a little quicker, maybe handle a little better, and be a little cheaper. What do you guys think? Any information on plus and minuses of either car would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 01:34 PM   #2
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
42

 
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO


Posts: 1,330
iTrader: (3)

I think if the track abilities are of primary concern, take the 135i.

If not, then the 335i offers more of almost everything, without being too big like imho the 5 series.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 01:38 PM   #3
tyrewt
Captain
Canada
43

 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Canada


Posts: 639
iTrader: (0)

I felt the same way... also ordering a 08 335i. The 135i is roughly the same size as a Mazda 3. Looks are important to me, 335i has the 135 beat hands down.

Maybe the 08 will have some new standard options... but all in all I think the 335i is a better choice even if the cost differs by $9000.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 01:50 PM   #4
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
394

 
BMW F22's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Around the Bay


Posts: 8,367
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiver68 View Post
I think if the track abilities are of primary concern, take the 135i.

If not, then the 335i offers more of almost everything, without being too big like imho the 5 series.
I think the 3 series is the perfect blend of sport and luxury. The 135 probably wont provide you with enough luxury and the 5 & 7 series are too much. I would go with the 335i (although the 135 might be a fun track car).
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 01:57 PM   #5
superman
Private
6

 
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i silver
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New Hampshire


Posts: 88
iTrader: (0)

Im not really thinking for track but everyday driving, but I do love quick cars. Do you guys really think the 135i will be that much less luxurious then the 335i?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 02:03 PM   #6
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
394

 
BMW F22's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Around the Bay


Posts: 8,367
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman View Post
Im not really thinking for track but everyday driving, but I do love quick cars. Do you guys really think the 135i will be that much less luxurious then the 335i?

I think of the 135 as being more of a fun car than a luxury car (or entry-luxury for that matter). Although the 135 will probably have all/most of the standard/optional equipments offered on the 3 series, I just cant get myself into thinking that it's a luxury car.

Remember that the 135 is supposed to be a rebirth of the 2002. That was pretty much the sport icon of its time. Thus the 135 has the fun factor rather than the sporty/luxury factor.


BTW, Im not implying that the 135 is only for the track. For an everyday drive it jwould definitely suit your needs just as a 335 would.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 02:25 PM   #7
tdc
always notorious
1

 
Drives: beater
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC


Posts: 98
iTrader: (0)

When did BMW become "luxury" cars?
__________________
stockwerks
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 03:02 PM   #8
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
394

 
BMW F22's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Around the Bay


Posts: 8,367
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc View Post
When did BMW become "luxury" cars?
what do you consider it then? Economy?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 03:27 PM   #9
tdc
always notorious
1

 
Drives: beater
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC


Posts: 98
iTrader: (0)

I consider BMW's driver-oriented cars that have some luxury items added if you want.

But I guess it all depends on what you define as a luxury car. For me a luxury car is one where the passenger/occupant is the focus. A BMW is nothing close to that. At least it used to not be anything close to that.
__________________
stockwerks
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 04:21 PM   #10
dr335is
Brigadier General
77

 
Drives: GTI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX


Posts: 4,973
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc View Post
I consider BMW's driver-oriented cars that have some luxury items added if you want.

But I guess it all depends on what you define as a luxury car. For me a luxury car is one where the passenger/occupant is the focus. A BMW is nothing close to that. At least it used to not be anything close to that.
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 09:34 PM   #11
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
394

 
BMW F22's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Around the Bay


Posts: 8,367
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc View Post
I consider BMW's driver-oriented cars that have some luxury items added if you want.

But I guess it all depends on what you define as a luxury car. For me a luxury car is one where the passenger/occupant is the focus. A BMW is nothing close to that. At least it used to not be anything close to that.

IMO BMW is one of the most driver-oriented auto maker in the world. Everything they do/make revolves around the driver. The way they make sure everything is ergonomic to the feel of the radio knob, everything was crafted to please the occupants.

Saying that BMW cars are not luxury is like say Lexus dont make sport cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 09:39 PM   #12
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
100

 
spacedogg's Avatar
 
Drives: Debadged
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC


Posts: 2,819
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE90 View Post
Saying that BMW cars are not luxury is like say Lexus dont make sport cars.
Lexus don't make sports cars silly! They make vague steering luxo-barges...

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 09:42 PM   #13
normtrum
Colonel
39

 
normtrum's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 335i, e46 330i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: PNW


Posts: 2,227
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE90 View Post
IMO BMW is one of the most driver-oriented auto maker in the world. Everything they do/make revolves around the driver. The way they make sure everything is ergonomic to the feel of the radio knob, everything was crafted to please the occupants.

Saying that BMW cars are not luxury is like say Lexus dont make sport cars.
I always thought the best (and shortest) way to describe a BMW is "luxury sport sedan" or "luxury sport coupe". Either way, your covered.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 09:04 AM   #14
superman
Private
6

 
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i silver
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New Hampshire


Posts: 88
iTrader: (0)

So other then price and wieght of the 135i, do you guys see any other advantages for that car over the 335i?

Chris
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 09:06 AM   #15
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
42

 
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO


Posts: 1,330
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman View Post
So other then price and wieght of the 135i, do you guys see any other advantages for that car over the 335i?

Chris
Hmmm, you can fit into smaller parking spaces?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 11:03 AM   #16
tdc
always notorious
1

 
Drives: beater
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC


Posts: 98
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE90 View Post
IMO BMW is one of the most driver-oriented auto maker in the world. Everything they do/make revolves around the driver. The way they make sure everything is ergonomic to the feel of the radio knob, everything was crafted to please the occupants.

Saying that BMW cars are not luxury is like say Lexus dont make sport cars.
Ok, then BMW are not luxury. (exactly like I've suggested)

Because Lexus sure as hell doesn't make sport cars.
__________________
stockwerks
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 11:11 AM   #17
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
394

 
BMW F22's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Around the Bay


Posts: 8,367
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacedogg View Post
Lexus don't make sports cars silly! They make vague steering luxo-barges...


What's about the IS250 and 350? Just because they dont handle as well as the 3 series doesnt mean they're not considered sport cars. right?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 11:59 AM   #18
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
38

 
joelk's Avatar
 
Drives: Space Gray E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Atlanta


Posts: 1,681
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrewt View Post
I felt the same way... also ordering a 08 335i. The 135i is roughly the same size as a Mazda 3. Looks are important to me, 335i has the 135 beat hands down.

Maybe the 08 will have some new standard options... but all in all I think the 335i is a better choice even if the cost differs by $9000.
another size comparison that might help:

the 135i is 1.5 cm longer than the E30.
the 135i is a little wider and taller than the E30.

it's small but not tiny and will be a little faster than the 335i ... probably not _that_ much faster given the small weight difference.

aesthetically I personally prefer the look of the 135i to the 335i but that is obviously a subjective personal decision. I strongly disagree that the 335i beats the 135i in looks "hands down" although like i said it is an individual decision.

I think it comes down to 1)use, 2) space needed, 3) aesthetic appeal to you personally.

I'm going with the 135i because it suits my needs better than the 335i and I like the look better. It isn't about money ... I could easily afford either. I miss my old E30 and can't wait to have another car that fits like a glove.

respect to both of course!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 04:08 PM   #19
tdc
always notorious
1

 
Drives: beater
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC


Posts: 98
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE90 View Post
What's about the IS250 and 350? Just because they dont handle as well as the 3 series doesnt mean they're not considered sport cars. right?
Lexus is considered a luxury vehicle. The IS models are simply luxury cars with some sport options on them.
__________________
stockwerks
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST