BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
BPM Sport
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-21-2007, 05:26 PM   #1
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

M3 Model Year Cycle in the US

A few questions:

1. Are the European September '07 deliveries '08 models or '07s?
2. Will the first US deliveries be '08 models?
3. When will the '09 models be sold in the US?

BMW normally releases next year's models in the September of that year. I am trying to figure out what this means for the '09 M3?

My dealer claims the spring '08s deliveries will be '08 models (naturally), and the '09 models will not be available until Spring '09. I think he was bs-ing me in an attempt to get me to put a deposit down (I told him I wanted an '09). Ideally, I would be buying an '09 in September/October '08.

What was the case with the E46 M3? Did it also arrive mid-year, and did they stick to that cycle for releasing new models? How about the M5?
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2007, 08:00 PM   #2
NavNurs
First Lieutenant
 
NavNurs's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 / S2000 beater
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Diego

Posts: 308
iTrader: (0)

I was wondering about this as well. Does it make sense to wait an additional 6 months for an 09? It seems the first year typically has more bugs than the subsequent models. In the long run it may make sense to wait a little longer for less depreciation? BUT, on the other hand it would be quite nice to have one of the first in San Diego. That way if it isnít truly an amazing car, I can dump it at a profit. Well, maybe at cost as I only get a 10% price reduction from the MSP.
NavNurs is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2007, 09:37 PM   #3
kishg
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2003 540i/6
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Northern NJ

Posts: 187
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavNurs View Post
I was wondering about this as well. Does it make sense to wait an additional 6 months for an 09? It seems the first year typically has more bugs than the subsequent models. In the long run it may make sense to wait a little longer for less depreciation? BUT, on the other hand it would be quite nice to have one of the first in San Diego. That way if it isnít truly an amazing car, I can dump it at a profit. Well, maybe at cost as I only get a 10% price reduction from the MSP.
your getting 10% off on the e92?
__________________
'05 X5/3.0 Sport (E53)
'03 540i/6 M-Sport (E39)
'91 325i/5 Sport Package (E30)
BMWCCA #360858 SCCA# 374179 NASA # 128290
kishg is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2007, 10:02 PM   #4
Robert
Major General
 
Drives: 135i, current is350
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Socal

Posts: 6,898
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishg View Post
your getting 10% off on the e92?
Must be military discount. NavNur = Navy Nurse?

I don't get why they get discounts, first they get to shoot at people all day and second they get to roll around in ballin Hummers.
Robert is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-22-2007, 02:17 AM   #5
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
 
southlight's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Germany

Posts: 6,748
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
A few questions:

1. Are the European September '07 deliveries '08 models or '07s?
All the customer cars which are built from September on are '08 models. I'm not sure about the HEA cars, but that should be still '07 models...

Best regards, south
southlight is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-22-2007, 10:48 AM   #6
NavNurs
First Lieutenant
 
NavNurs's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 / S2000 beater
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Diego

Posts: 308
iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the help. Here I was thinking the only cool benefit to service was the BMW MSP. Now I have two other things to enjoy!

Seriously though, don't be a hater!
NavNurs is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-22-2007, 03:31 PM   #7
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
All the customer cars which are built from September on are '08 models. I'm not sure about the HEA cars, but that should be still '07 models...

Best regards, south
I am wondering why the global BMW site is referring to it as the 2007 M3 then?
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2007, 03:58 AM   #8
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
 
southlight's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Germany

Posts: 6,748
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
I am wondering why the global BMW site is referring to it as the 2007 M3 then?
That's a good question! Either they refer to the Launch Year (just to differentiate it from the old model) or they change that with the model year change in September!? It's not so common in Europe to say the MY, in Germany nobody would say "I have the '08 M3"...

Furthermore - as I said - my guess is that the dealer cars being built now are still '07 models...

Best regards, south
southlight is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2007, 03:59 AM   #9
swiss_cornholio
First Lieutenant
 
swiss_cornholio's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 DTC M3 (AW/PS)
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich, Switzerland

Posts: 379
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
A few questions:

1. Are the European September '07 deliveries '08 models or '07s?
2. Will the first US deliveries be '08 models?
3. When will the '09 models be sold in the US?
1. The European September deliveries are '08 models. A 'BMW-year' is September to September.

2. Probably.

3. According to (1.) not before September '08.
swiss_cornholio is offline   Switzerland
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2007, 04:12 AM   #10
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
 
southlight's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Germany

Posts: 6,748
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss_cornholio View Post
1. The European September deliveries are '08 models. A 'BMW-year' is September to September.

2. Probably.

3. According to (1.) not before September '08.
Your point 3 is valid for Europe. But the U.S. could have a different "system". BMW already had new Model years for US starting in March. (if I remember correctly the 5series was an '07 model from march '06 on)

Best regards, south
southlight is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2007, 05:15 AM   #11
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
 
The CSL's Avatar
 
Drives: Peugeot 306 XSI 16v
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Plymouth, UK

Posts: 660
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
That's a good question! Either they refer to the Launch Year (just to differentiate it from the old model) or they change that with the model year change in September!? It's not so common in Europe to say the MY, in Germany nobody would say "I have the '08 M3"...

Furthermore - as I said - my guess is that the dealer cars being built now are still '07 models...

Best regards, south
They don't really have such a system in the UK either.
__________________
The CSL is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2007, 07:21 AM   #12
mkoesel
Moderator
 
Drives: 2015 Felt IA2
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

Posts: 13,694
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
BMW normally releases next year's models in the September of that year. I am trying to figure out what this means for the '09 M3?
The '09 M3 is nearly certain to have a September '08 release with the rest of the '08 BMWs - just as you suspect. The same thing will apply to the new 1 series as well. They will not continue with the March model-year changeover throughout the entire life of the car.

Now having said that there is a slight chance that _all cars_ released from the initial US March 2008 lauch will be labeled MY2009. But I doubt that will be the case. Unlike the refreshed 5 series (for example) which was called a MY2008 upon its release in March 2007, The M3 will be in production long before the March date (its just that none will be built for US delivery until early next year). The 5 series on the other hand did not go into production at all until shortly before its March release, sometime in January I believe.
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
mkoesel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2007, 08:11 AM   #13
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Now having said that there is a slight chance that _all cars_ released from the initial US March 2008 lauch will be labeled MY2009. But I doubt that will be the case. Unlike the refreshed 5 series (for example) which was called a MY2008 upon its release in March 2007, The M3 will be in production long before the March date (its just that none will be built for US delivery until early next year). The 5 series on the other hand did not go into production at all until shortly before its March release, sometime in January I believe.
I see what you mean. That's a good point.
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST