BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-18-2007, 10:35 AM   #23
Davo2003
Captain
Davo2003's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
652
Posts

Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe Jerez and loaded
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

I think the majority of reviews so far have been overwhelmingly positive for the M3. The jury is definitely still out on this and probably will continue deliberating for months. I am sure that if I saw an RS4 next to a new M3 I wouldn't hesitate to take the M3, just more sporting to me, but that's a personal opinion. For me the Audi badge represents a less sporting car but the S5 may change that... we will see. So, my deposit for my M3 stands and I will take delivery sometime in the Spring without hesitation.
__________________
Crying is for babies, little girls, men who have just had their ears ripped off, and men who have toasted MDCT's due to service errors.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 10:49 AM   #24
nechronics
Lieutenant
nechronics's Avatar
Syria
8
Rep
438
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: May 2007
Location: south tampa

iTrader: (0)

I wouldn't count on the S5 changing your opinion based on performance figures alone as it stands no where near the RS4 or M3. It has gotten no love from reviewers except for its appearance

RS5 on the other hand.....but that's what, 2 years away?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 10:58 AM   #25
JEllis
Major General
JEllis's Avatar
123
Rep
5,049
Posts

Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SD CA/Yuma

iTrader: (4)

Didnt the 335i beat the RS4 around a track in VA in a recent magazine road test?
__________________
http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic14547_7.gif
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 11:18 AM   #26
13eastie
Lieutenant
13eastie's Avatar
United Kingdom
21
Rep
563
Posts

Drives: 2007 E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
Didnt the 335i beat the RS4 around a track in VA in a recent magazine road test?
Yes, but this is easily explained by the fact that erm...
...let me think...ah yes...

...they are BOTH much better than the M3!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 11:22 AM   #27
JEllis
Major General
JEllis's Avatar
123
Rep
5,049
Posts

Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SD CA/Yuma

iTrader: (4)

hahahaha.....Yeah...ummm...well you see the RS4 is ahhh...and the 335i was in the hmm....

Is my M3 ready yet?

Jason
__________________
http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic14547_7.gif
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 11:59 AM   #28
ILC32
Lieutenant
ILC32's Avatar
20
Rep
580
Posts

Drives: 1993 Porsche RSA
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13eastie View Post
Yes, but this is easily explained by the fact that erm...
...let me think...ah yes...

...they are BOTH much better than the M3!!!!
That has to be it.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 12:05 PM   #29
ottomobeel
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: RS4
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
Didnt the 335i beat the RS4 around a track in VA in a recent magazine road test?
It also beat out the M6 in that very test did it not? How does that square with your propeller shaped badge?

The VA track is a short track which favors lighter cars apparently, unless you're ready to say the 335i is faster in most circumstances than an M6? Someone also called into question the method in which the heavier cars were warmed up due to the physics of weight, tires/air pressure and hot lapping, the rules of their tests favored lighter cars due to the way they warmed each car up. This likely affected the M6 in this test as well.

But let's get real here. The RS4 has bested BMW's best efforts., this new M3 And for those who don't realize this, the RS4 might only be a 2.5 year old car, but it sits on a 6+ year old chassis. Why not just give credit where it's due?

I am sure the BMW M3 is a great car, it's OK to be 2nd place, the RS4 has received almost unanimous praise over the last several years for a very good reason. There's nothing to be ashamed of.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 12:06 PM   #30
ILC32
Lieutenant
ILC32's Avatar
20
Rep
580
Posts

Drives: 1993 Porsche RSA
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeel View Post
I am sure the RS4 is a great car, it's OK to be 2nd place, the 335 has received almost unanimous praise over the last several years for a very good reason. There's nothing to be ashamed of.
I agree.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 12:08 PM   #31
ottomobeel
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: RS4
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILC32 View Post
I agree.
I guess it will be a long haul for you guys until the CSL comes out, I almost feel bad for you
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 12:11 PM   #32
ILC32
Lieutenant
ILC32's Avatar
20
Rep
580
Posts

Drives: 1993 Porsche RSA
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeel View Post
I guess it will be a long haul for you guys until the CSL comes out, I almost feel bad for you
Call us when the RS4 catches up to the 335.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 12:16 PM   #33
ottomobeel
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: RS4
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILC32 View Post
Call us when the RS4 catches up to the 335.
I guess that will be at or around the time the M6 catches up to the 335, right? LOL..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 12:23 PM   #34
Epacy
Reincarnated
Epacy's Avatar
94
Rep
4,227
Posts

Drives: 02 Maxima SE
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: IL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeel View Post
I guess that will be at or around the time the M6 catches up to the 335, right? LOL..
Like Southlight said. Where are all these RS4 owners coming from? Did all the Audi forums get shut down? Was there some pact made to go out and troll as much as possible?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 12:24 PM   #35
JEllis
Major General
JEllis's Avatar
123
Rep
5,049
Posts

Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SD CA/Yuma

iTrader: (4)

You make statements about the M6 yet it wasnt in that test so get your facts straight. It was the Z4M that it beat around the track as well as the RS4. The Z4M is not a heavy car which negates your statements as well. And finally, my point being that the new M3 is going to do everything the 335i can do but better and faster.

The RS4 has received so much praise in the last couple years for the simple fact that Audi finally did something right. Here was a car that most people expected to be about as good as all previous Audi sports sedans and yet it was refreshing and surprising to get something that was actually good. The M3 on the other hand has to live up with so much hype that is hard to please reviewers that get their expectations very high even before driving the car.

Jason
__________________
http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic14547_7.gif
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 12:24 PM   #36
13eastie
Lieutenant
13eastie's Avatar
United Kingdom
21
Rep
563
Posts

Drives: 2007 E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeel View Post
It also beat out the M6 in that very test did it not? How does that square with your propeller shaped badge?

The VA track is a short track which favors lighter cars apparently, unless you're ready to say the 335i is faster in most circumstances than an M6? Someone also called into question the method in which the heavier cars were warmed up due to the physics of weight, tires/air pressure and hot lapping, the rules of their tests favored lighter cars due to the way they warmed each car up. This likely affected the M6 in this test as well.

But let's get real here. The RS4 has bested BMW's best efforts., this new M3 And for those who don't realize this, the RS4 might only be a 2.5 year old car, but it sits on a 6+ year old chassis. Why not just give credit where it's due?

I am sure the BMW M3 is a great car, it's OK to be 2nd place, the RS4 has received almost unanimous praise over the last several years for a very good reason. There's nothing to be ashamed of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeel View Post
I guess it will be a long haul for you guys until the CSL comes out, I almost feel bad for you
For only your second post, you really have managed to lurch between an amazing number of topics without actually dealing with any of them. In conceding that the 335i beat the RS4 at VIR (and frankly I couldn't give a monkey's) you respond by dissing the M6

Most sensible members are pretty objective about the manifold merits of the RS4. The problem with people like you is that your mind has been made up before you have seen any good objective information on the M3 (and you are content to disregard what there has been so far).

Why don't you bide your time, bite your tongue for a bit and reduce your chances of making a fool of yourself...
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 12:27 PM   #37
ottomobeel
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: RS4
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

I have no idea, I found this site from a blog post. I don't visit forums and ironically I also own a 325xi, so I wouldn't consider myself an Audi troll. I wouldn't have posted had I not seen the citation of the 335 Virginia track result, I think that article was very misleading. Whenever you throw a dozen cars into the mix and run them all around a particular track and spit back numbers you're going to get weird results. The (corrected) Z4M behind the 335 is clearly an anomaly, as is the RS4.

The 335 is a great car btw, I drove it and liked it very much. Had to have the AWD so went with the 325xi for my wife.

Anyway, all these cars are different shades of excellent, so just enjoy what you want to enjoy, and for now the RS4 keeps top honors. I am sure this battle will rage on for a long time to come
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 12:30 PM   #38
MojorisinM3
Major
MojorisinM3's Avatar
62
Rep
1,096
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Nashville, TN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregA View Post
Please note BMW is going Audi way.

M vs S, and CSL / CS vs RS.

In fact the badges / cars are positioned (also price wise) like this: S < M < RS < CSL/CS.

M cars will be positioned & designed to attract more customers then ever. While CSL models will be pure aficionado cars. That's the fact. And such decision was necessary due the increased competition. If M cars were too hard core, only aficionados would buy them - not good for the business. So, M goes more mainstream, while CSL/CS will please aficionados, and preserve BMW image as "Ultimate Driving Machine".

Btw, every M / CSL model will also get unique personality & identity. Some will be more raw and hardcore than others (eg. Z4M & M1 vs M3 & M6).

Regarding E92 M3: the car is very capable, and be sure to test drive it. Then all your doubts will go away.

+1
I posted a similar conclusion a while back as well. BMW is making room for another line of cars on the "top end" - CSL, while also making room for the 135 on the "bottom end".

Face it, the M3 has evolved into a different type of car then the first gen. To be honest, I doubt many people on this board (including myself) would want to drive the first gen type as a DD.

When I'm driving around in my E46 M3 I think of it as a GT "tuned for the track". Not a track car tuned for the street. More of the same with the E92 M3.
__________________
2011 E92 M3 Comp / MPE / DCT
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 12:30 PM   #39
ottomobeel
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: RS4
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
You make statements about the M6 yet it wasnt in that test so get your facts straight. It was the Z4M that it beat around the track as well as the RS4. The Z4M is not a heavy car which negates your statements as well. And finally, my point being that the new M3 is going to do everything the 335i can do but better and faster.

Jason
You're right, it was the Z4M, my mistake.

In any case its still a pretty big slew of cars in that roundup. I think the Autocar Weekly review holds some weight though, you're right I've not driven the new M3, but I would trust the author as he's a professional racer and an M fan. And no, I'm not anti-M or anti-BMW. I own both brands and hold both in higher regards than MB.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 12:31 PM   #40
jworms
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
256
Posts

Drives: 99 E36 M3, 07 328i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Redondo Beach, CA

iTrader: (0)

let me guess, this review is just like the auto express one in that it doesn't provide anything but an opinion and no performance facts to back it. am i right?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 12:31 PM   #41
absoluteis350
Lieutenant
53
Rep
585
Posts

Drives: Subaru Imprezza Base model
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: boston

iTrader: (0)

Lets take this all into perspective people.

Arguing which is the better car (..RS4..-just joking to egg the fanboys on) is like arguing which of 2 hot supermodels you'd like to nail. In either case, you have an awesome piece of tail which is just as pleasurable as choosing the other. They are slightly different but both are amazing 'rides'

And enough with the VIR 335 v RS4 comparo already.. the problems with it have been pointed out all over the place and should be obvious to any impartial observer.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 12:34 PM   #42
ottomobeel
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: RS4
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteis350 View Post
Lets take this all into perspective people.

Arguing which is the better car (..RS4..-just joking to egg the fanboys on) is like arguing which of 2 hot supermodels you'd like to nail. In either case, you have an awesome piece of tail which is just as pleasurable as choosing the other. They are slightly different but both are amazing 'rides'

And enough with the VIR 335 v RS4 comparo already.. the problems with it have been pointed out all over the place and should be obvious to any impartial observer.
Well said, choosing between the two cars is an embarrassment of riches. And I'm glad there's someone else capable of seeing the problems of the VIR test.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 12:38 PM   #43
MojorisinM3
Major
MojorisinM3's Avatar
62
Rep
1,096
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Nashville, TN

iTrader: (0)

Oh, and dont forget, controversy sells magazines so keep that in mind with a cover like that
__________________
2011 E92 M3 Comp / MPE / DCT
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 01:15 PM   #44
kem
New Member
0
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: RS4, Former: 911C4S, M Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

You can't just follow the different companies naming schemes and equate RS4 to CSL, the CSL was a track focused machine much like a GT3. The car had no stereo, aircon and no power anything.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:17 AM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST