BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

Lux Angel Eyes

08-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
Gamoto
Private First Class

Drives: 08 E93 M3 6MT/13 335ix/ 13 X3/

Obama Stupid PAC

Even CNN found this ad to be ridiculous, but given the intelect of most Obama supporters they figure they will believe this crap.

By: Ben Shapiro

The Obama political machine's race to the bottom has dived deep beneath the muck of Harry Reid's lies about Romney's taxes and finally hit bedrock. Today Priorities USA released a new ad that will surely rank among the ugliest and most dishonest in the history of political campaigns. Titled "Understands" the ad features Joe Soptic describing how Mitt Romney is responsible for his wife's death from lung cancer. It's Lyndon Johnson's Daisy ad made more personal and therefore even more vile.

When Mitt Romney and Bain closed the plant, I lost my healthcare, and my family lost their healthcare. And a short time after that my wife became ill.

I donít know how long she was sick and I think maybe she didnít say anything because she knew that we couldnít afford the insurance, and then one day she became ill and I took her up to the Jackson County Hospital and admitted her for pneumonia and thatís when they found the cancer and by then it was stage four. It was, there was nothing they could do for her.

And she passed away in 22 days.

I do not think Mitt Romney realizes what heís done to anyone, and furthermore I do not think Mitt Romney is concerned.

If Soptic looks familiar that's because he was one of the narrators of the ads the Obama campaign launched in May. You may remember it as the ad where one of Soptic's co-workers compares Bain Capital to a "vampire." The new ad is by Priorities USA, an Obama approved SuperPAC. Priorities USA is prevented by law from coordinating its activity with the Obama campaign, but this ad is clearly meant to look like a continuation of the previous Obama campaign ad. Soptic is even wearing the same grey shirt he wore in the previous ad. And the claim about the death of his wife has been part of an Obama for America slideshow for months.

The emotional thrust of the new ad is Soptic blaming Romney and Bain Capital for his wife's death. He says she became ill "a short time" after he lost his job and his health care. But the timeline being presented in this ad is extremely misleading. According to a notice in the Kansas City Star uncovered by Politico, Soptic's wife died in June 2006. That's five years after the GST Steel plant was closed in 2001 and more than seven years after Romney left management of Bain to work on the 2002 Olympics in February 1999.

Politico asked Priorities USA to explain what Mitt Romney had to do with the death of a woman years after he'd left the company. Priorities strategist Bill Burton responded "Weíre illustrating how long it took for communities and individuals to recover from the closing of these businesses." But length of impact is clearly not what the ad tries to depict. It says the illness happened "a short time after" and then emphasizes the wife's death just 22 days after being admitted to the hospital. In other words, the ad is intentionally misleading, suggesting to viewers that this happened shortly after the plant was closed, not years later.

President Obama has been personally involved in decisions which lead to layoffs. More people lost jobs at Solyndra than at GST Steel. How many people lost jobs at GM dealerships when the company went through downsizing and bankruptcy? Is President Obama personally responsible for the health of every spouse of those workers for the coming 5-7 years? If one of them dies of cancer in 2015, should Obama be blamed? It's an absurd standard and yet that's what Obama's SuperPAC is pushing with this ad. Forget hope and change. This election Obama is offering sleaze and viciousness.

Update: CNN reviewed the ad this afternoon and found it is ďnot accurate.Ē Turns out Sopticís wife still had her own insurance after he lost his job. She stopped working as a result of an accident:

In 2001, Joe Soptic loses his job when Bain closes the plant. His wife still has insurance, though, through her employer, Saverís thrift store. A year later, Romney formerly leaves Bain. And it's that year, 2002, or perhaps 2003, Soptic tells CNN, that his wife leaves her job because of an injury. That's when she became uninsured without fallback insurance from her husband. A few years later, in 2006, she goes to the hospital is diagnosed with cancer and dies just days later.

Bill Burton at Priorities USA is now claiming that he did not intend to connect Romney to the death of Sopticís wife. This is obviously a lie. Watch the video. Thereís no other conclusion you can draw from it. This ad is so dirty that even the people who made it donít want to take credit for it.
      08-08-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
ScotchAndCigar
Banned

Drives: 2011 128i space gray vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamoto View Post
given the intelect of most Obama supporters they figure they will believe this crap.
I know nothing of this ad, but what's for certain is that you're still saying stupid things.
ScotchAndCigar is offline   United_States
      08-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #3
M_Six
Free Thinker

Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic

Garage List
So how is this different that the Swift Boat ads? Lies are lies no matter who tells them. These types of PAC ads need to be eliminated. This isn't free speech, it's libel. Both sides are guilty to the same degree.

Your insult to anyone who doesn't share your opinions is equally ridiculous, btw. It's exactly that kind of nonsense that makes intelligent conversation about the issues virtually impossible.

"The $0.99 menu was put on this Earth for a good damn reason." -Weebl
M_Six is offline   United_States
      08-08-2012, 03:43 PM   #4
Fox128i
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2012 E82

Garage List
2012 128i  [4.75]
Politician's or their supporters running ads that are false or misleading? Never heard of such things.
      08-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #5
mspeasl
Sixties Drag Racer

Drives: 2011 Cashmere Silver 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
So how is this different that the Swift Boat ads? Lies are lies no matter who tells them.
You are so right. This is akin to Adlai Stevenson saying President Eisenhower was never a General. A politician or their mouth pieces will say whatever is needed to get elected or reelected. Listen to what they all say and then THINK for yourself and pick the fly-shit out of the pepper
1957 - Chevrolet Bel Air 2dr Coupe' Drag Car (2nd Owner since 1964)
1947 - Chevrolet Sport Master Coupe' Street Rod (2nd Owner since 1974)
mspeasl is offline   United_States
      08-08-2012, 05:33 PM   #6
OldArmy
Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si

We've come to accept the stretching, perhaps to the breaking point, of the truth as normal. This one is just plain outright lying and dems with half an ounce of integrity are running the other way. The other 90% just remain silent hoping it will somehow work to harm Romney. Count the number of dems that say anything about this low rent advertisement. This stuff is disgusting and represents a new low.
OldArmy is offline   United_States
      08-08-2012, 05:37 PM   #7
mspeasl
Sixties Drag Racer

Drives: 2011 Cashmere Silver 528i

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotchAndCigar View Post
Quote:
Even CNN found this ad to be ridiculous, but given the intelect of most Obama supporters they figure they will believe this crap.
I know nothing of this ad, but what's for certain is that you're still saying stupid things.
I believe that someone once said, "If you tell a lie loud enough and long enough, people will believe you." I think that is what OP is trying to say.
1957 - Chevrolet Bel Air 2dr Coupe' Drag Car (2nd Owner since 1964)
1947 - Chevrolet Sport Master Coupe' Street Rod (2nd Owner since 1974)
mspeasl is offline   United_States
      08-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #8
M_Six
Free Thinker

Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldArmy View Post
We've come to accept the stretching, perhaps to the breaking point, of the truth as normal. This one is just plain outright lying and dems with half an ounce of integrity are running the other way. The other 90% just remain silent hoping it will somehow work to harm Romney. Count the number of dems that say anything about this low rent advertisement. This stuff is disgusting and represents a new low.
No, it's sadly not a new low. Just a different one. The GOP PACs have been as bad or worse. Anytime you have groups with lots of money trying to buy an election, you'll get this sort of tripe. It really got bad with the Swift Boat nutcases. That's where the bar was set to near zero. This new BS about Romney is equally low, but it's hardly groundbreaking. It's just the left fighting fire with fire. If you weren't pissed off by the Swift Boat lies, you have no right to be pissed off about this. Frankly I'm disgusted with the whole system. This sort of democracy (and I use that term loosely) is not what I spent 11 years of service to defend. If the American voters would finally learn to read and think for themselves, this sort of despicable campaigning would quickly come to an end. But I see no signs at all that voters are ready to move beyond Huffington or Limbaugh.

"The $0.99 menu was put on this Earth for a good damn reason." -Weebl
M_Six is offline   United_States
      08-08-2012, 07:28 PM   #9
Gamoto
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six
So how is this different that the Swift Boat ads? Lies are lies no matter who tells them. These types of PAC ads need to be eliminated. This isn't free speech, it's libel. Both sides are guilty to the same degree.

Your insult to anyone who doesn't share your opinions is equally ridiculous, btw. It's exactly that kind of nonsense that makes intelligent conversation about the issues virtually impossible.
There was truth to the swift boat ads.
      08-08-2012, 07:40 PM   #10
Gamoto
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspeasl
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotchAndCigar View Post
Quote:
I believe that someone once said, "If you tell a lie loud enough and long enough, people will believe you." I think that is what OP is trying to say.
Exactly!!!! It's Chicago politics. Spread lies about your opponent then leave the burden on them to prove its a lie.
      08-08-2012, 07:45 PM   #11
ScotchAndCigar
Banned

Quote:
There was truth to the swift boat ads.
No.
      08-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #12
ScotchAndCigar
Banned

Quote:
Exactly!!!! It's Chicago politics. Spread lies about your opponent then leave the burden on them to prove its a lie.
Every repub group anti-obama ad is full of lies. Only difference is that I don't feel the need to whine about it and call all repubs stupid.
      08-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #13
Gamoto
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotchAndCigar
Quote:
Every repub group anti-obama ad is full of lies. Only difference is that I don't feel the need to whine about it and call all repubs stupid.
Not even close to this ad or Reid's outright lie saying Romney didn't pay taxes for 10 years! Just a bunch of no class liars.
      08-08-2012, 08:16 PM   #14
rgrovr
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 335xi E90

The moral equivocation in this thread is galling. Intimating that Romney killed his wife because the husband lost his job, thus his health insurance - is a low not seen before.

The key point isn't whether its factual or not (its not), the main issue is accusing a Presidential candidate of causing the death of another individual as an accessory after the fact.

Just denounce the Ad. Don't equivocate.
2008 335xi E90 Black Sapphire -||- PERFORMANCE: JB4 -DCI - AR Catless DPs - Helix FMIC - Forge DVs - KW V3 Suspension - BSH OCC -||- COSMETIC: 19" M3 Reps - OEM Perf. Front - MTech Sides - MTech Rear - OEM CF Spoiler - CF Kidney Grills - LUX H8 - LED Interior Kit - CF Wrap Trim - M3 iDrive Knob
      08-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #15
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
Quote:
Not even close to this ad or Reid's outright lie saying Romney didn't pay taxes for 10 years! Just a bunch of no class liars.
Rmoney should prove Harry Reid wrong and release those tax returns so we can all see that Harry Reid is lying.
      08-09-2012, 08:22 AM   #16
OldArmy
Lieutenant

It's ok nobama supporters. You've succeeded in turning the conversation, changing the subject once again.

Waiting for just one to come out and say "That advertisement is bad." Just one.....
      08-09-2012, 08:30 AM   #17
ScotchAndCigar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldArmy View Post
It's ok nobama supporters. You've succeeded in turning the conversation, changing the subject once again.

Waiting for just one to come out and say "That advertisement is bad." Just one.....
Haven't seen it. Anything like the Willie Horton ad?
      08-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #18
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
Well as the Rmoney campaign is quick to point out, if they had lived in Massachusetts they would have been covered by the "Romneycare" and this would not have been an issue. Sounds like the Rmoney campaign is siding with President Obama about the need for health care for everybody in this country.
      08-09-2012, 09:41 AM   #19
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
I think this ad by the Rmoney campaign, not a SuperPAC that is supporting Rmoney, is terribly dishonest. The President of our country has not declared war on religion in the USA.

08-09-2012, 09:49 AM   #20
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
Or we could talk about how the Romney campaign is trying to say that the Obama Administration is "gutting welfare", through waivers given to the states. Well as it turns out, Governor Romney had asked for this exact thing back in 2005. So here goes the GOP trying to pin their policies on President Obama again.

http://www.policyshop.net/home/2012/...f-waivers.html
      08-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #21
bolinp78
G35 convertee

Drives: 2008 335i (AW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbook View Post
I think this ad by the Rmoney campaign, not a SuperPAC that is supporting Rmoney, is terribly dishonest. The President of our country has not declared war on religion in the USA.

You're mixing up "fact" with "opinion". Saying that someone has "waged war" on anything is an opinion.
      08-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #22
OldArmy
Lieutenant

Ok, I get how this works. Anyone who lost their job in the last three years and whose spouse died of cancer can now blame nobama. Works great, same logic as the advert in question. I'm good.

Just one dem step up and condemn this ad.....just one. Unless of course you don't think there's a problem with it.

And the ones who "haven't seen it" are the same folks who spend endless interweb time researching the opposition in minute detail. But they can't seem to get informed about this turd which has been front and center in the MSM for days. "We won't learn and you can't make us!"