BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-08-2012, 08:28 AM   #23
MikeE92M3
Captain
MikeE92M3's Avatar
10
Rep
625
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E92 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Richmond, VA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
We need to find someone that just sells the trim rings now. I'd be all over this.
I agree. I would be happy to keep the stock ring/boot exactly the way it is, in case I ever sell the car down the road. Are there any vendors who can sell them?
__________________
2008 (07/08) E92 M3 BPM Stage II Tuned by Mike Benvo, 6MT, Turner Test Pipes, Magnaflow Custom Catback Exhaust (Magnaflow X Pipe, secondary cat delete, Aero Resonators and Helmholtz Chambers),Vorsteiner CF Lip, Hamann Style CF rear diffuser, CF Rear Decklid Spoiler, BMW Performance Kidney Grills, CF Side Grills, OEM GTS Wheels, K&N Drop-In Filter, GP Thunder 8k Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 08:31 AM   #24
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
THE TECH's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
13,121
Posts


 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeE92M3 View Post
I agree. I would be happy to keep the stock ring/boot exactly the way it is, in case I ever sell the car down the road. Are there any vendors who can sell them?
I haven't heard of one. I'd really hate to butcher it and not be able to reuse but I guess since I already removed the stock knob, the point is somewhat moot as long as the job is done well on getting a new boot to work on the oem ring.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 08:41 AM   #25
MikeE92M3
Captain
MikeE92M3's Avatar
10
Rep
625
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E92 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Richmond, VA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
I haven't heard of one. I'd really hate to butcher it and not be able to reuse but I guess since I already removed the stock knob, the point is somewhat moot as long as the job is done well on getting a new boot to work on the oem ring.
Yeah, makes sense. I figure with the X-Acto knife I can take my time just cutting away as much of the glue between the leather and the ring, and just hope that suffices. If there was a part number that I can find (haven't had any luck, unless I am not searching correctly), I would buy it!
__________________
2008 (07/08) E92 M3 BPM Stage II Tuned by Mike Benvo, 6MT, Turner Test Pipes, Magnaflow Custom Catback Exhaust (Magnaflow X Pipe, secondary cat delete, Aero Resonators and Helmholtz Chambers),Vorsteiner CF Lip, Hamann Style CF rear diffuser, CF Rear Decklid Spoiler, BMW Performance Kidney Grills, CF Side Grills, OEM GTS Wheels, K&N Drop-In Filter, GP Thunder 8k Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 08:44 AM   #26
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
THE TECH's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
13,121
Posts


 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeE92M3 View Post
Yeah, makes sense. I figure with the X-Acto knife I can take my time just cutting away as much of the glue between the leather and the ring, and just hope that suffices. If there was a part number that I can find (haven't had any luck, unless I am not searching correctly), I would buy it!
Since it's all one piece from the factory, there won't be a separate part number. This is something that I'm surprised that the aftermarket hasn't already tackled.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 08:49 AM   #27
MikeE92M3
Captain
MikeE92M3's Avatar
10
Rep
625
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E92 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Richmond, VA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Since it's all one piece from the factory, there won't be a separate part number. This is something that I'm surprised that the aftermarket hasn't already tackled.
Now that's just rude.
__________________
2008 (07/08) E92 M3 BPM Stage II Tuned by Mike Benvo, 6MT, Turner Test Pipes, Magnaflow Custom Catback Exhaust (Magnaflow X Pipe, secondary cat delete, Aero Resonators and Helmholtz Chambers),Vorsteiner CF Lip, Hamann Style CF rear diffuser, CF Rear Decklid Spoiler, BMW Performance Kidney Grills, CF Side Grills, OEM GTS Wheels, K&N Drop-In Filter, GP Thunder 8k Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 08:52 AM   #28
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
THE TECH's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
13,121
Posts


 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeE92M3 View Post
Now that's just rude.
Yup. Just looked it up. No option other than buying the whole thing.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #29
isugoo
Major General
isugoo's Avatar
United_States
69
Rep
5,730
Posts

 
Drives: 14 M5 CP
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (62)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeE92M3 View Post
I paid $117 out the door including shipping. The Napa leather adds about $15 or so dollars, and the M stitching adds the rest. Shipping was 9 dollars priority from Poland. For the price and the discount you get for buying both boots cannot be beat. My pictures speak for themselves and they feel AWESOME.
Thanks for all the detail info.
From your pictures, your nappa leather seems to have more "grain" than stock. how do you compare with stock? Looks pretty close?

Sorry for too many questions but I'm seriously considering as it's alot cheaper option that IND's full combo set.
__________________

PAST: 11 E70 X5M | 08 E90 M3 | 08 E92 335i | 03.5 E46 M3 | 99 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #30
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
THE TECH's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
13,121
Posts


 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by isugoo View Post
Thanks for all the detail info.
From your pictures, your nappa leather seems to have more "grain" than stock. how do you compare with stock? Looks pretty close?

Sorry for too many questions but I'm seriously considering as it's alot cheaper option that IND's full combo set.
+1
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #31
isugoo
Major General
isugoo's Avatar
United_States
69
Rep
5,730
Posts

 
Drives: 14 M5 CP
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (62)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Yup. Just looked it up. No option other than buying the whole thing.
As I cut my stock knob off already (for Leather Z ZHP knob), I don't mind taking my original ring out but I just want to make sure it's not complicated and looks good as new after reusing it.
__________________

PAST: 11 E70 X5M | 08 E90 M3 | 08 E92 335i | 03.5 E46 M3 | 99 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 11:04 AM   #32
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
THE TECH's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
13,121
Posts


 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by isugoo View Post
As I cut my stock knob off already (for Leather Z ZHP knob), I don't mind taking my original ring out but I just want to make sure it's not complicated and looks good as new after reusing it.
Agreed. I may just order this and go for it.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 11:09 AM   #33
MikeE92M3
Captain
MikeE92M3's Avatar
10
Rep
625
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E92 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Richmond, VA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by isugoo View Post
Thanks for all the detail info.
From your pictures, your nappa leather seems to have more "grain" than stock. how do you compare with stock? Looks pretty close?

Sorry for too many questions but I'm seriously considering as it's alot cheaper option that IND's full combo set.
Looks extremely close! I think once it is on the ring and "stretches" a bit, it'll look better. Overall, it feels the same as the stock leather and the color is basically a perfect match.
__________________
2008 (07/08) E92 M3 BPM Stage II Tuned by Mike Benvo, 6MT, Turner Test Pipes, Magnaflow Custom Catback Exhaust (Magnaflow X Pipe, secondary cat delete, Aero Resonators and Helmholtz Chambers),Vorsteiner CF Lip, Hamann Style CF rear diffuser, CF Rear Decklid Spoiler, BMW Performance Kidney Grills, CF Side Grills, OEM GTS Wheels, K&N Drop-In Filter, GP Thunder 8k Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #34
isugoo
Major General
isugoo's Avatar
United_States
69
Rep
5,730
Posts

 
Drives: 14 M5 CP
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (62)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeE92M3 View Post
Looks extremely close! I think once it is on the ring and "stretches" a bit, it'll look better. Overall, it feels the same as the stock leather and the color is basically a perfect match.
Thanks!
Can you post some installed pictures please?

BTW, I'm from VCU Art school and lived in downtown. =D
__________________

PAST: 11 E70 X5M | 08 E90 M3 | 08 E92 335i | 03.5 E46 M3 | 99 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #35
MikeE92M3
Captain
MikeE92M3's Avatar
10
Rep
625
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E92 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Richmond, VA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by isugoo View Post
Thanks!
Can you post some installed pictures please?

BTW, I'm from VCU Art school and lived in downtown. =D
I will post installed pics AS SOON as I have the time to do it one of these weekends. I work in NYC and my home is in Virginia along with my M3 so I need to find the time to get down there and get a couple things done. Rest assured I will keep this thread going and take high quality pics with my DSLR camera!

VCU? That's awesome, I used to hang out around Cary street and Monroe Park all the time during high school!
__________________
2008 (07/08) E92 M3 BPM Stage II Tuned by Mike Benvo, 6MT, Turner Test Pipes, Magnaflow Custom Catback Exhaust (Magnaflow X Pipe, secondary cat delete, Aero Resonators and Helmholtz Chambers),Vorsteiner CF Lip, Hamann Style CF rear diffuser, CF Rear Decklid Spoiler, BMW Performance Kidney Grills, CF Side Grills, OEM GTS Wheels, K&N Drop-In Filter, GP Thunder 8k Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 10:57 PM   #36
k3silk
Lieutenant
k3silk's Avatar
6
Rep
527
Posts

 
Drives: 08 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MD

iTrader: (3)

I might do this just have to see if I can get another ring because I dont want to butcher my stock one.
__________________
AW e92///M3
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 12:16 AM   #37
Longbow64
_______
Longbow64's Avatar
14
Rep
764
Posts

 
Drives: 09 E90 M3, 13 X3 35i MSport
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Orlando

iTrader: (4)

I did mine with LeatherZ's alcantara tri stitch. Removing the boot was fairly challenging. I used a combination of exacto knife and butter knife. Then I used goo-gone to get the adhesive and remnants of the leather off. I used rubber cement type adhesive to apply the new boots to the rings (can't think of the name of it now). Half way through the process, I started thinking it was worth it for the rings. I'm sure you could get rings from once of the OEM vendors.
__________________

For Sale: '09 E90 M3 | VF620 SC tuned and coded by BPM | KW V3 | ARC Wheels w/AD08 | OnEighty Lights | AA Signature Exhaust | BMW Performance and IND trim |
'13 35i M-Sport X3 | JB4 Stage 1 | BMS Intake | H&R Springs | Gloss black grill | CF Wrap and Coded by me

Last edited by Longbow64; 08-09-2012 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Content
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 08:39 AM   #38
MikeE92M3
Captain
MikeE92M3's Avatar
10
Rep
625
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E92 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Richmond, VA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longbow64 View Post
I did mine with LeatherZ's alcantara tri stitch. Removing the boot was fairly challenging. I used a combination of exacto knife and butter knife. Then I used goo-gone to get the adhesive and remnants of the leather off. I used rubber cement type adhesive to apply the new boots to the rings (can't think of the name of it now). Half way through the process, I started thinking it was worth it for the rings. I'm sure you could get rings from once of the OEM vendors.
I wish I knew exactly what part the ring could be labeled as or identified as. As The Tech mentioned before, the whole shift knob/leather piece is sold as one unit with the ring. I got in touch with Leather Z and they said they can send me the ring for 190 bucks because they would have to go and buy a new unit and detach it from that. Defeats the purpose, anyways
__________________
2008 (07/08) E92 M3 BPM Stage II Tuned by Mike Benvo, 6MT, Turner Test Pipes, Magnaflow Custom Catback Exhaust (Magnaflow X Pipe, secondary cat delete, Aero Resonators and Helmholtz Chambers),Vorsteiner CF Lip, Hamann Style CF rear diffuser, CF Rear Decklid Spoiler, BMW Performance Kidney Grills, CF Side Grills, OEM GTS Wheels, K&N Drop-In Filter, GP Thunder 8k Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #39
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
THE TECH's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
13,121
Posts


 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longbow64 View Post
I did mine with LeatherZ's alcantara tri stitch. Removing the boot was fairly challenging. I used a combination of exacto knife and butter knife. Then I used goo-gone to get the adhesive and remnants of the leather off. I used rubber cement type adhesive to apply the new boots to the rings (can't think of the name of it now). Half way through the process, I started thinking it was worth it for the rings. I'm sure you could get rings from once of the OEM vendors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeE92M3 View Post
I wish I knew exactly what part the ring could be labeled as or identified as. As The Tech mentioned before, the whole shift knob/leather piece is sold as one unit with the ring. I got in touch with Leather Z and they said they can send me the ring for 190 bucks because they would have to go and buy a new unit and detach it from that. Defeats the purpose, anyways
Yeah, there is no ring to be purchased separately.

I did a search yesterday and couldn't find anyone selling an aftermarket piece either.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #40
jigzacura
New Member
0
Rep
9
Posts

 
Drives: 328i coupe
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

I wish i had a M!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 02:29 AM   #41
the_stranger
Captain
the_stranger's Avatar
India
14
Rep
927
Posts

 
Drives: e92 M3 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lafayette, IN

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Pics look great. Thanks for posting. Hoping to see the installed pics soon
__________________

2008 e92 M3 6MT AW/BLACK (SOLD)
2009 e92 M3 6MT AW/FR
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #42
MikeE92M3
Captain
MikeE92M3's Avatar
10
Rep
625
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E92 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Richmond, VA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_stranger View Post
Pics look great. Thanks for posting. Hoping to see the installed pics soon
No problem. Been very busy with work and family, didn't have time to install this past weekend. I am on vacation for a few days next week and will definitely do it then. Gonna post the new pictures on the first page/OP of this thread.
__________________
2008 (07/08) E92 M3 BPM Stage II Tuned by Mike Benvo, 6MT, Turner Test Pipes, Magnaflow Custom Catback Exhaust (Magnaflow X Pipe, secondary cat delete, Aero Resonators and Helmholtz Chambers),Vorsteiner CF Lip, Hamann Style CF rear diffuser, CF Rear Decklid Spoiler, BMW Performance Kidney Grills, CF Side Grills, OEM GTS Wheels, K&N Drop-In Filter, GP Thunder 8k Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 12:32 PM   #43
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
THE TECH's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
13,121
Posts


 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Ordered it this morning.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #44
MikeE92M3
Captain
MikeE92M3's Avatar
10
Rep
625
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E92 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Richmond, VA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Ordered it this morning.
Awesome! Stay tuned for pics this weekend Going to install it this Friday night or Saturday morning!
__________________
2008 (07/08) E92 M3 BPM Stage II Tuned by Mike Benvo, 6MT, Turner Test Pipes, Magnaflow Custom Catback Exhaust (Magnaflow X Pipe, secondary cat delete, Aero Resonators and Helmholtz Chambers),Vorsteiner CF Lip, Hamann Style CF rear diffuser, CF Rear Decklid Spoiler, BMW Performance Kidney Grills, CF Side Grills, OEM GTS Wheels, K&N Drop-In Filter, GP Thunder 8k Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST