BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

GT Haus
Closed Thread

02-18-2014, 11:49 PM   #1
Pertplus
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 991 Turbo S

Garage List
My review of the BMW Performance Seats

As many of you know I had IND customize some Performance Seats for my E92 and had HG Motorsports install them.

I just drove to LA and back today in the seats from San Diego (about 250 miles round trip) and I think I can give a good layman's review.

1) the seats are unbelievably comfortable. I have a broad back and shoulders and the seats felt amazing. I didn't feel squeezed in at all. The Acalantra suede is soooooooft!

2) I am about 6'1 and have the seats set at the lowest level. I have a decent amount of headroom but if I turn to the left and raise my head I could barely tap the "suit handle" (where you might hang dry cleaning) with the top of my head. Also, if you are anywhere near 6'3 or taller and are considering these seats, I would strongly suggest sitting in the seats prior to purchasing them.

3) You can code it so that the seatbelt butler works -- HG coded it for me. And they coded the Passenger Occupancy light as well. So far it's been great.

4) The lower part of the seat where your left leg is (assuming you are driving non-UK car) has a "bolster" that takes a little maneuvering around when you want to get out of the car. You can't just roll out against the seat because that part of the seat doesn't move and can be quite painful of you do that as if it were a normal stock seat.

I love these seats and since I had manual ones before, to me the creature comforts of power seats are not something I miss with these. I really am glad I went with IND to customize them and there's not one thing I regret. And HG did a fantastic job with the install.

So I would not hesitate to recommend these seats to anyone who wants to use them as a daily driver seat -- unless you are 6'3 and taller.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 03:01 AM   #2
emac08
got em' son
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i (sold) --> 08 E90 M3

Send a message via AIM to emac08
nice man. did you use the heater function on these? pictures of your set up!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 07:32 AM   #3
Pertplus
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by emac08
nice man. did you use the heater function on these? pictures of your set up!
Yes I have the heater function. Pics have been posted in other threads. Here's one.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 08:25 AM   #4
GOLFFRR
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Golf Cart

very nice! def makes a huge statement. Seats are stunning.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL US FIRST WE CAN HOOK YOU UP!
Need a quote or assistance from David? GO HERE-->bmwdavid@icloud.com or 202-262-2900
Having trouble getting a hold of David? PM me.Im available everyday till 645pm!!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 09:48 AM   #5
Pertplus
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR
very nice! def makes a huge statement. Seats are stunning.
Thanks Jimmy!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 01:35 PM   #6
Ervin87
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 | B5 S4 | E30

Very nice. Unfortunate that they don't work well with tall people.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 04:22 PM   #7
rantarM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Very nice! Now for some questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pertplus View Post
2) I am about 6'1 and have the seats set at the lowest level. I have a decent amount of headroom but if I turn to the left and raise my head I could barely tap the "suit handle" (where you might hang dry cleaning) with the top of my head. Also, if you are anywhere near 6'3 or taller and are considering these seats, I would strongly suggest sitting in the seats prior to purchasing them.
Do they sit higher than the stock seats at their lowest setting? It sounds like they might.

Quote:
I love these seats and since I had manual ones before, to me the creature comforts of power seats are not something I miss with these.
Since you had manual seats, do you know whether the wiring harness would be needed if one did not want to use the heating option? I was thinking that if you're replacing manual seats without heat you would not need to run the wiring harness and would just need the coding. But I could be wrong.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 04:45 PM   #8
Pertplus
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantarM3 View Post

Yes, I believe they do. For example, when I would put the stock seats at the lowest setting, they sat much lower than the Performance Seats at their lowest setting. No question.

Since you had manual seats, do you know whether the wiring harness would be needed if one did not want to use the heating option? I was thinking that if you're replacing manual seats without heat you would not need to run the wiring harness and would just need the coding. But I could be wrong.

I don't 100% know the answer to this question. IND would be the best source of info, but I believe the wiring harness is mainly to keep the heated seat option. But again, that is something I would ask IND about directly so that you have the most complete info.

Thanks!
Hope that helps!!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 12:23 AM   #9
Jbook
Major
Rep
Drives: '11 ESS E90 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [4.72]
Completely agree with your review. Very comfortable seats, a little bit more difficult to get in and out of, and not recommended for anyone on the tall side (I'm 6'1" as well).

Quote:

Do they sit higher than the stock seats at their lowest setting? It sounds like they might.

Thanks!
If you don't want heated seats, don't run the harness. Simple as that. Plenty of people with heated seats don't bother running the harness, but I did.
ESS VT2-625 w/ DCT Software | Alekshop Oil Cooler | Awron Gauge | 19" BBS FI | Ohlins R&T w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates | Alekshop Subframe Bushings | RD Sport Sway Bars F&R | Dinan Strut Braces & Pedals | Brembo GT 380 F&R w/ Endless Pads | Akrapovic GT4 | Vorsteiner GTS-V Lip | 3D Design Diffuser | Platte Forme CF Side Skirt Extensions | BMW Performance Seats, CF Spoiler, CF Mirror Covers & Steering Wheel
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 12:54 PM   #10
rantarM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Hope that helps!!
Yes, thanks. My concern is the height of the seats as I'm also 6'1". I too have manual seats set at their lowest setting and like to sit fairly upright. Do you think you'd be able to wear a helmet with these seats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbook View Post
Completely agree with your review. Very comfortable seats, a little bit more difficult to get in and out of, and not recommended for anyone on the tall side (I'm 6'1" as well).

If you don't want heated seats, don't run the harness. Simple as that. Plenty of people with heated seats don't bother running the harness, but I did.
Thanks for the info. I'm looking into sourcing the seats directly from Europe myself and wanted a simple bolt-in installation plus the requisite coding.

How do you find the headroom in the E90 (which is what I have)? Could you estimate whether they sit ~1, 2, or 3 inches higher than the stock seats at their lowest setting?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 02:37 PM   #11
Pertplus
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, thanks. My concern is the height of the seats as I'm also 6'1". I too have manual seats set at their lowest setting and like to sit fairly upright. Do you think you'd be able to wear a helmet with these seats?

Thanks for the info. I'm looking into sourcing the seats directly from Europe myself and wanted a simple bolt-in installation plus the requisite coding.

How do you find the headroom in the E90 (which is what I have)? Could you estimate whether they sit ~1, 2, or 3 inches higher than the stock seats at their lowest setting?
Honestly, assuming the helmet you are using is the size of most normal ones, you will almost certainly be hitting it on the top of the car's roof -- and possibly have issues fitting it at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 04:54 PM   #12
Jbook
Major
Rep
Drives: '11 ESS E90 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [4.72]
Quote:

Headroom is fine for me. I need to take a look to see exactly which seating position I'm in and I'll try sitting in with my helmet this weekend and get back to you.
ESS VT2-625 w/ DCT Software | Alekshop Oil Cooler | Awron Gauge | 19" BBS FI | Ohlins R&T w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates | Alekshop Subframe Bushings | RD Sport Sway Bars F&R | Dinan Strut Braces & Pedals | Brembo GT 380 F&R w/ Endless Pads | Akrapovic GT4 | Vorsteiner GTS-V Lip | 3D Design Diffuser | Platte Forme CF Side Skirt Extensions | BMW Performance Seats, CF Spoiler, CF Mirror Covers & Steering Wheel
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 11:35 AM   #13
Pertplus
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
This was the reason I really got the seats
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 11:37 AM   #14
Pertplus
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Didn't load
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 08:55 AM   #15
Detroit M3
Major
Rep
Drives: Murdered E92 M3

Post more pics
      02-25-2014, 10:03 AM   #16
Pertplus
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit M3
Post more pics
I promise just did a photoshoot Sunday
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 11:56 AM   #17
Lagunae92
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M3 Laguna Seca Blue

Have you actually felt heat coming through the seats? I have these seats and we tried the harness, but the heat did not work.
Mods: |Electronic Performance Steering Wheel|ZCP CF Spoiler|ZCP CF Spliters|ZCP CF Mirrors|Edition Front Grilles|Edition Side Grilles|BMW Performance Brake Handle|3D Design Pedals| Style Rumore Exhaust|H&R Springs|LCI Tails|Challenge CF Door Panels|
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 12:59 PM   #18
Pertplus
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunae92 View Post
Have you actually felt heat coming through the seats? I have these seats and we tried the harness, but the heat did not work.
I have not tried using the heated seats option since I live in SoCal and it has yet to be cold enough for me to need them.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 01:01 PM   #19
Lagunae92
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M3 Laguna Seca Blue

As do I. If you can, try to see if they work. I press my heater button and it turns off quickly.
Mods: |Electronic Performance Steering Wheel|ZCP CF Spoiler|ZCP CF Spliters|ZCP CF Mirrors|Edition Front Grilles|Edition Side Grilles|BMW Performance Brake Handle|3D Design Pedals| Style Rumore Exhaust|H&R Springs|LCI Tails|Challenge CF Door Panels|
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 04:47 PM   #20
Detroit M3
Major
Rep
Drives: Murdered E92 M3

Quote:
I promise just did a photoshoot Sunday