BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography
 
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-12-2013, 12:03 AM   #1453
MaximusJ
Colonel
 
MaximusJ's Avatar
 
Drives: 325i 2006
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Quebec, Canada

Posts: 2,122
iTrader: (19)

Garage List
'06 E90  [3.72]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsed65 View Post
that was too many brain cells ago.
It gives me an idea still.
MaximusJ is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #1454
dcstep
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

Posts: 4,835
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
^^^Whoa, that's wild on the eyes.

Hey Dave, was that snowed-upon owl shot with your 500? How much crop?
Yes, that's the 500mm and around an 80% crop judging from the file size. A friend, standing next to me, took almost the same shot but showed the whole nest, with little crop. I preferred mine, showing snow detail and the eyes.

I should have thrown the 1.4X TC on the camera to achieve 700mm, given 20-20 hindsight.

Dave
__________________
dcstep is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2013, 12:17 PM   #1455
dcstep
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

Posts: 4,835
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]

Dedicated runner in snow storm by dcstep, on Flickr
__________________
dcstep is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #1456
M_Six
Free Thinker
 
M_Six's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

Posts: 4,897
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Yes, that's the 500mm and around an 80% crop judging from the file size. A friend, standing next to me, took almost the same shot but showed the whole nest, with little crop. I preferred mine, showing snow detail and the eyes.

I should have thrown the 1.4X TC on the camera to achieve 700mm, given 20-20 hindsight.

Dave
That's pretty nice looking for such a huge crop. Do you find the 1.4x TC still leaves acceptable IQ when cropping to that extent? If Canon does indeed give the 6D f8 AF, I'm thinking of getting a 1.4x TC III for the 400 5.6
__________________
Mark
Randomography
Flickr

"The $0.99 menu was put on this Earth for a good damn reason." -Weebl
M_Six is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2013, 01:55 PM   #1457
Rowdy
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2012 135i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hongcouver Canada

Posts: 236
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
Thanks mark. They are actually all stationary ships, they are from Asia and are there fishing. They will stay until they are full and then leave. They all "rent" a designated spot in the bay, and if they stray from the spot, they get some massive fines. (So I'm told)

p
They are not fishing. Those are Tankers and freighters awaiting entry to the port of vancouver! Once through the appropriate customs and inspections they will be loaded or offload in the inner harbour. You can see in my pic of the inner harbour that there is a sulphur pile, coal, oil, sugar, wheat and of course many container yards.

There is very little fishing going on in these waters. Most will happen Off the west coast of vancouver island (halibut) up up the straights quite a few miles and by much much smaller vessels. (prawns, salmon, cod and scallops) We frequently get chartered to pick up loads from the prawn boats!



Heres a shot up Toba inlet.. on my way to do a crew change for one of the hydroelectric projects
Rowdy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #1458
dcstep
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

Posts: 4,835
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
That's pretty nice looking for such a huge crop. Do you find the 1.4x TC still leaves acceptable IQ when cropping to that extent? If Canon does indeed give the 6D f8 AF, I'm thinking of getting a 1.4x TC III for the 400 5.6
I use the EF 1.4X TC-II and the reviews of the Series III show it to be even better. Keep in mind, if you crop, most of the problem areas with even the worst TC are going to be out in the corners, which you crop off.

I hope that the 6D gets f/8 AF, but I wouldn't hold my breath. The AF system is clearly different from the 5D3 and the 1DX. They've never provided f/8 AF for the 7D. I think that the 6D is one of their price-point cameras and firmware updates will likely only fix problems, if any.

Here's about a 50-60% crop with my 500mm on the 5D3 with the 1.4X TC, hand held:


American kestrel in flight. by dcstep, on Flickr

The wing blur is due to the high speed of kestrels, not OOF. This was shot at 1/1250-sec. so it would have taken around 1/2000-sec to freeze the wing tips.
__________________
dcstep is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #1459
MaximusJ
Colonel
 
MaximusJ's Avatar
 
Drives: 325i 2006
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Quebec, Canada

Posts: 2,122
iTrader: (19)

Garage List
'06 E90  [3.72]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
I hope that the 6D gets f/8 AF, but I wouldn't hold my breath. The AF system is clearly different from the 5D3 and the 1DX. They've never provided f/8 AF for the 7D. I think that the 6D is one of their price-point cameras and firmware updates will likely only fix problems, if any.
I dont know how a big company like Canon can get away with murder on this one.

A problem with one body could be at best; tolerable. But still no updates for all of them except 1Dx right?
MaximusJ is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #1460
dcstep
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

Posts: 4,835
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusJ View Post
I dont know how a big company like Canon can get away with murder on this one.

A problem with one body could be at best; tolerable. But still no updates for all of them except 1Dx right?

Well, up until the 5D MkIII, only "pro" bodies would do f/8 AF. The hue and cry when the 1DX came out without it shook them up a little, I think.

Right now, the 1D MkIV and 1DX have f/8 AF and Canon has formally announced that a firmware update will be available for the 5D MkIII in April. I would think that Canon would realize that f/8 AF is good for TC sales, but maybe they prefer to sell more super-telephotos.

Dave
__________________
dcstep is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2013, 03:44 PM   #1461
Itsed65
Major
 
Itsed65's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 X1 28i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SF East Bay

Posts: 1,159
iTrader: (0)

Great Kestral shot Dave. They are SO hard to get a clean shot of, being both very skittish and very fast.
Itsed65 is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2013, 04:16 PM   #1462
M_Six
Free Thinker
 
M_Six's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

Posts: 4,897
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
I use the EF 1.4X TC-II and the reviews of the Series III show it to be even better. Keep in mind, if you crop, most of the problem areas with even the worst TC are going to be out in the corners, which you crop off.

I hope that the 6D gets f/8 AF, but I wouldn't hold my breath. The AF system is clearly different from the 5D3 and the 1DX. They've never provided f/8 AF for the 7D. I think that the 6D is one of their price-point cameras and firmware updates will likely only fix problems, if any.

Here's about a 50-60% crop with my 500mm on the 5D3 with the 1.4X TC, hand held:



The wing blur is due to the high speed of kestrels, not OOF. This was shot at 1/1250-sec. so it would have taken around 1/2000-sec to freeze the wing tips.
Nice shot. No easy task aiming that rig, I'd bet. And to catch a kestral while doing so is impressive.

I'm not betting on an f8 fix for the 6D. Canon Rumors is often out there with, well...rumors. That's why I won't invest in a Canon 1.4x TC until I see it happen.

That said, I was out today testing the 400 5.6 with the Kenko 2x TC. Pretty sharp images. Handheld manual focusing 800mm with no IS is a bear, though. The 400+2x TC combo will have to be for sitting birds only.
__________________
Mark
Randomography
Flickr

"The $0.99 menu was put on this Earth for a good damn reason." -Weebl
M_Six is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2013, 10:04 PM   #1463
triton3k
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 Acura TL Type-S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The Bronx NYC

Posts: 553
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to triton3k Send a message via Yahoo to triton3k
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusJ View Post
Nice Denn; I hope you will print a 365 pages book out of that project!

Lenny: Sick point of view. I'm curious... What were you shooting with in 1996?

Thanks so much and I definitely am. I'm actually gonna print up some small pictures from PostalPix until the year is up then i'll do the book.

Lenny thats a sick sick shot.


71/365 Throggs Neck Bridge

365 PROJECT DAY 71 by Denn-Ice, on Flickr
triton3k is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2013, 10:09 PM   #1464
Itsed65
Major
 
Itsed65's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 X1 28i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SF East Bay

Posts: 1,159
iTrader: (0)

^^^I love night time bridge shots! I have to get to the bay bridge while they have the light show up on it.

I was chasing birds around my local park last weekend, when I noticed this muskrat quietly making his way down the creek...

20130309-AQ4E2160 by lennycarl08, on Flickr
Itsed65 is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-13-2013, 02:39 AM   #1465
Weebl
Weebl wobbles but eats Pie
 
Drives: 2008 335i, 2000 740i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SF Bay Area

Posts: 1,513
iTrader: (0)

score with the giant rat. I didn't know that they were around.
__________________
Kevingoto.smugmug.com
2000 740i-Annalisa and 2008 335i-Weebl. Weebl may wobble but has DTC
Weebl is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #1466
dcstep
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

Posts: 4,835
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Nice shot. No easy task aiming that rig, I'd bet. And to catch a kestral while doing so is impressive.

I'm not betting on an f8 fix for the 6D. Canon Rumors is often out there with, well...rumors. That's why I won't invest in a Canon 1.4x TC until I see it happen.

That said, I was out today testing the 400 5.6 with the Kenko 2x TC. Pretty sharp images. Handheld manual focusing 800mm with no IS is a bear, though. The 400+2x TC combo will have to be for sitting birds only.
Yes, sitting birds only and maybe with a tripod. The tripod really helps you to manage the MF. Don't forget, a 2.0x TC and a 25mm ET make for a great macro rig, depending on the minimum focus distance of your super-tele. I seem to recall that the 400/5.6 had a bit of a long MFD, but it's worth a try.

Dave
__________________
dcstep is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #1467
M_Six
Free Thinker
 
M_Six's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

Posts: 4,897
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Yes, sitting birds only and maybe with a tripod. The tripod really helps you to manage the MF. Don't forget, a 2.0x TC and a 25mm ET make for a great macro rig, depending on the minimum focus distance of your super-tele. I seem to recall that the 400/5.6 had a bit of a long MFD, but it's worth a try.

Dave
I was thinking of that. The MFD on the 400 5.6 is 11.5 feet. With my 12mm ET attached, it's about 8 or 9ft. I just bought a 25mm ET to use with other lenses as a poor man's macro. I'll see what that does to the 400 5.6. Using both ETs should prove interesting.
__________________
Mark
Randomography
Flickr

"The $0.99 menu was put on this Earth for a good damn reason." -Weebl
M_Six is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #1468
dcstep
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

Posts: 4,835
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I was thinking of that. The MFD on the 400 5.6 is 11.5 feet. With my 12mm ET attached, it's about 8 or 9ft. I just bought a 25mm ET to use with other lenses as a poor man's macro. I'll see what that does to the 400 5.6. Using both ETs should prove interesting.
Yeah, stack the ETs and experiment with the TC between the ETs and the lens and between the ETs and the camera. If you start to get vignetting, then plan to crop that out.

I think of it as the "sophisticated man's macro" not "poor man's".

That MFD isn't particularly outstanding (my 500mm is about 12-ft) but with stacked ETs and a 2.0x TC, it might work pretty well. You'll need a well lit subject and pump the ISO to 800.

Dave
__________________
dcstep is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #1469
MaximusJ
Colonel
 
MaximusJ's Avatar
 
Drives: 325i 2006
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Quebec, Canada

Posts: 2,122
iTrader: (19)

Garage List
'06 E90  [3.72]
funny subject this morning. I tried that thing yesterday.

I tried 105mm macro + 2X TC + 36mm ET; I think that was extreme :P Will try that outside since the indoor light was limited. But interesting results
MaximusJ is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-13-2013, 09:55 PM   #1470
Itsed65
Major
 
Itsed65's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 X1 28i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SF East Bay

Posts: 1,159
iTrader: (0)

Great Egret

20130311-AQ4E2492 by lennycarl08, on Flickr
Itsed65 is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-13-2013, 10:48 PM   #1471
triton3k
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 Acura TL Type-S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The Bronx NYC

Posts: 553
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to triton3k Send a message via Yahoo to triton3k
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsed65 View Post
^^^I love night time bridge shots! I have to get to the bay bridge while they have the light show up on it.


Thanks

72/365 Late Night

365 PROJECT DAY 72 by Denn-Ice, on Flickr
triton3k is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-13-2013, 10:59 PM   #1472
dcstep
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

Posts: 4,835
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]

Bald eagle relaxing after a fish dinner by dcstep, on Flickr
__________________
dcstep is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-13-2013, 11:01 PM   #1473
dcstep
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

Posts: 4,835
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsed65 View Post
Great Egret
Nice flight shot with a classic pose.

Dave
__________________
dcstep is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-13-2013, 11:19 PM   #1474
Itsed65
Major
 
Itsed65's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 X1 28i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SF East Bay

Posts: 1,159
iTrader: (0)

Thanks! I'm so jealous of you guys that get to photograph eagles!
Itsed65 is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST