BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography
 
BPM
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-07-2016, 11:02 PM   #1
BMW F22
Major General
BMW F22's Avatar
United_States
1032
Rep
9,364
Posts

Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (8)

Best mirrorless camera?

What's the best mirrorless camera with a nice lens for under $1,500?

This is maibly for travel, family trips, and landscapes. I'd like to be able to capture pictures of things like northern lights and such. Or would it be better to get a 6d and a 17-40mm or 24-70mm? Trying to stay away from DSLR because of bulk and weight.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 04:27 AM   #2
TokyoCarGuy
Captain
TokyoCarGuy's Avatar
Japan
209
Rep
649
Posts

Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Tokyo, Japan

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Sony A6500
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Alpha-Mi...rds=a6500&th=1
__________________
Please visit my automotive website based in Japan:
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 04:47 PM   #3
apexlocator
Lieutenant
United_States
87
Rep
471
Posts

Drives: 2014 M5
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: socal

iTrader: (1)

+1 to the A6500 with a kit lens, 16-50?? should be around $1500..
__________________
2014 "AW/SO"me M5
Mission Performance
RK Autowerks
Corsa Axle back
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 04:49 PM   #4
Z K
Brigadier General
Z K's Avatar
United_States
477
Rep
3,588
Posts

Drives: E90 M3, MK6 GLI
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (3)

I like to use micro 43 cameras from Olympus and Panasonic.

The sensors are a bit smaller than Sony's but the camera and lenses are smaller. It is the format that has the largest lens selection out of any mirrorless system. There's some great drool worthy Leica glass for the format as well.
__________________
Auto Detailing Enthusiast!
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2016, 10:29 AM   #5
GoHokiesGo
Enlisted Member
GoHokiesGo's Avatar
United_States
31
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i Coupe AT
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Loudoun, VA

iTrader: (0)

Mirrorless users- since he also asked about an SLR option, do you realistically notice a difference in size and weight with a mirrorless setup?

Typically for me it's the lenses that are the bulk of the weight. My SLR body is bigger than mirrorless, but I've always felt that it wouldn't be much of a noticeable difference once you have a decent lens attached.

I still travel with a 6D and contemplated for a long time about moving to Sony, but the price was tough to beat on the 6D for a travel SLR.
__________________
~Jason
2007 335i Space Gray AT -*- MHD Stg1

JP Photography - Travel/Landscape/Automotive Photography
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 11:53 AM   #6
omasou
Captain
omasou's Avatar
United_States
269
Rep
875
Posts

Drives: BMW F87 M2
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
http://sansmirror.com/
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 12:42 PM   #7
BMW F22
Major General
BMW F22's Avatar
United_States
1032
Rep
9,364
Posts

Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokiesGo View Post
Mirrorless users- since he also asked about an SLR option, do you realistically notice a difference in size and weight with a mirrorless setup?

Typically for me it's the lenses that are the bulk of the weight. My SLR body is bigger than mirrorless, but I've always felt that it wouldn't be much of a noticeable difference once you have a decent lens attached.

I still travel with a 6D and contemplated for a long time about moving to Sony, but the price was tough to beat on the 6D for a travel SLR.
Exactly my thought as well. Had a 6d with 17-40mm before and it's not that heavy or bulky. Wouldn't mind it actually. Took some fantastic pictures during a Europe trip.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 12:43 PM   #8
BMW F22
Major General
BMW F22's Avatar
United_States
1032
Rep
9,364
Posts

Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Too much info ans too many pages to comb through...
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 04:07 PM   #9
druu
Second Lieutenant
26
Rep
289
Posts

Drives: 2015 F30 335i
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

could probably get an xt-10 and good xf glass for 1500 if you look properly. prices have dropped dramatically. When not using a 5DIV i use an Xpro-2, but thats a bit higher than the range you've specified. I bring my X70 on vacation + the conversion lenses and call it a day. Barely any weight and fits in everything, while still maintaining an aps-c sized sensor.

Honestly, weight savings is nice, but actual physical size savings on a trip really depends on how much of your kit you bring with you. If you carry multiple lenses and flashes and have the intention of changing lenses etc, then just bring an SLR on vacation.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 04:58 PM   #10
allachie9
Grumpy Old Man
allachie9's Avatar
Scotland
430
Rep
882
Posts

Drives: 335i Luxury GT
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: North East Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokiesGo View Post
Mirrorless users- since he also asked about an SLR option, do you realistically notice a difference in size and weight with a mirrorless setup?

Typically for me it's the lenses that are the bulk of the weight. My SLR body is bigger than mirrorless, but I've always felt that it wouldn't be much of a noticeable difference once you have a decent lens attached.

I still travel with a 6D and contemplated for a long time about moving to Sony, but the price was tough to beat on the 6D for a travel SLR.
As a Canon user for many, many years, I love my 5D3 and backup 50D together with a bagful of lenses. But I never take them on my travels !
For years I used a Canon G11, then a G12 and most recently a Canon G1X as my 'travel' camera.

This year I moved up to a Fuji X-T1 as my travel camera. Together with the 18-55 kit lens, I take Fuji 10 - 24 and 55 - 200 lenses when I go away.
This covers everything I need at a fraction of the bulk and weight of my big Canons.
IQ from the Fuji is absolutely first class.
__________________
Alan

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o30/allachie9/Avatar_4528%20copy_zpslfjk1ev7.jpg
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 05:43 PM   #11
BMW F22
Major General
BMW F22's Avatar
United_States
1032
Rep
9,364
Posts

Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allachie9 View Post
As a Canon user for many, many years, I love my 5D3 and backup 50D together with a bagful of lenses. But I never take them on my travels !
For years I used a Canon G11, then a G12 and most recently a Canon G1X as my 'travel' camera.

This year I moved up to a Fuji X-T1 as my travel camera. Together with the 18-55 kit lens, I take Fuji 10 - 24 and 55 - 200 lenses when I go away.
This covers everything I need at a fraction of the bulk and weight of my big Canons.
IQ from the Fuji is absolutely first class.
Looks like an excellent camera. Buying used is even cheaper! What would be a good walk around lens if you could only bring one for travel?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 05:44 PM   #12
BMW F22
Major General
BMW F22's Avatar
United_States
1032
Rep
9,364
Posts

Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by druu View Post
could probably get an xt-10 and good xf glass for 1500 if you look properly. prices have dropped dramatically. When not using a 5DIV i use an Xpro-2, but thats a bit higher than the range you've specified. I bring my X70 on vacation + the conversion lenses and call it a day. Barely any weight and fits in everything, while still maintaining an aps-c sized sensor.

Honestly, weight savings is nice, but actual physical size savings on a trip really depends on how much of your kit you bring with you. If you carry multiple lenses and flashes and have the intention of changing lenses etc, then just bring an SLR on vacation.
Looking at the XT-1. Looks very good. Any recommendations on one walk around lens?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 06:52 AM   #13
allachie9
Grumpy Old Man
allachie9's Avatar
Scotland
430
Rep
882
Posts

Drives: 335i Luxury GT
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: North East Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Looks like an excellent camera. Buying used is even cheaper! What would be a good walk around lens if you could only bring one for travel?
Kit lenses often, and sometimes quite wrongly, get a bad press. However I find that the Fuji 'standard' 18-55 kit lens is very, very good, and with a max aperture of f/2.8 it is extremely versatile. Nice for portraits and low light.

Just as an example, the image below was taken on the Fuji X-T1 / 18-55 f/2.8 combo. On a walking trip and you don't hardly realise you're carrying it.

Loch Moidart by Alan Butterfield, on Flickr
__________________
Alan

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o30/allachie9/Avatar_4528%20copy_zpslfjk1ev7.jpg

Last edited by allachie9; 12-11-2016 at 06:55 AM. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 12:13 PM   #14
itrsteve
Second Lieutenant
85
Rep
269
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Raleigh

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allachie9 View Post
Kit lenses often, and sometimes quite wrongly, get a bad press. However I find that the Fuji 'standard' 18-55 kit lens is very, very good, and with a max aperture of f/2.8 it is extremely versatile. Nice for portraits and low light.

Just as an example, the image below was taken on the Fuji X-T1 / 18-55 f/2.8 combo. On a walking trip and you don't hardly realise you're carrying it.

Loch Moidart by Alan Butterfield, on Flickr
I second the Fuji x100/xt1/xt2/etc. The form factor alone had me sold, the images out of them are amazing too. I picked up an xt1 a few months ago with the 35mm prime and love it.
__________________
2017 M3
Past: 11 ZCP M3 | 05 M3 (x2) | ITR (x3) | 00 NSX
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2016, 09:12 PM   #15
Itsed65
Colonel
Itsed65's Avatar
312
Rep
2,595
Posts

Drives: 2014 X1 28i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SF East Bay

iTrader: (0)

Agree with the 18-55 being an excellent lens! It's the equivalent to the 24-80 on the full frame side, and I have tons of solid keepers that are printable very large from this lens. I also have a full lineup of canon dslr's, but for traveling, the XT-1 is my favorite (and I am trying VERY hard not to go look at an XT-2 in the store. I am weak!!!).
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 10:12 PM   #16
Nihilation
Lieutenant
United_States
72
Rep
412
Posts

Drives: Loaner Car
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bull Run, VA

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via Skype™ to Nihilation
I just sold my Nikon D7200 and lenses for the Sony a6500 with the 16-70mm f/4 lens and a Canon 85mm f/1.8. It's got 5-axis in body stabilization plus the in lens stabilization. It's a LOT more compact than the D7200 and since it's an APS-C sensor, ISO performance is about identical but focusing is lightning quick and video is extraordinary. Downside is E Mount lens selection so I run a Sigma MC-11 adapter to use Canon lenses. Also, Sony glass reviews look too soft for my taste.

The Fuji XT-2 was on my list but the Sony just seemed so much better at nearly everything. Those who say overheating on the a6500... no. I've recorded 4K for hours and have not had any issues. Only downside is battery life isn't great so I bought a spare, which I would have done anyway with any camera.

I can now take the camera and my GoPro's in a small camera bag everywhere and mount it on stabilizers that couldn't handle the D7200. Yes, good lenses can easily out-weigh the body but it's still a lot less weight than a DSLR. I wouldn't take my DSLR on vacationsdue to its size. The a6500, I wouldn't hesitate.

Last edited by Nihilation; 12-11-2016 at 10:20 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 10:32 PM   #17
BMW F22
Major General
BMW F22's Avatar
United_States
1032
Rep
9,364
Posts

Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilation View Post
I just sold my Nikon D7200 and lenses for the Sony a6500 with the 16-70mm f/4 lens and a Canon 85mm f/1.8. It's got 5-axis in body stabilization plus the in lens stabilization. It's a LOT more compact than the D7200 and since it's an APS-C sensor, ISO performance is about identical but focusing is lightning quick and video is extraordinary. Downside is E Mount lens selection so I run a Sigma MC-11 adapter to use Canon lenses. Also, Sony glass reviews look too soft for my taste.

The Fuji XT-2 was on my list but the Sony just seemed so much better at nearly everything. Those who say overheating on the a6500... no. I've recorded 4K for hours and have not had any issues. Only downside is battery life isn't great so I bought a spare, which I would have done anyway with any camera.

I can now take the camera and my GoPro's in a small camera bag everywhere and mount it on stabilizers that couldn't handle the D7200. Yes, good lenses can easily out-weigh the body but it's still a lot less weight than a DSLR. I wouldn't take my DSLR on vacationsdue to its size. The a6500, I wouldn't hesitate.
Pretty much between A6500 and XT-1/2 for me at this point. Probably get a 16-55mm lens which would be my one and only lens.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 01:55 PM   #18
apexlocator
Lieutenant
United_States
87
Rep
471
Posts

Drives: 2014 M5
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: socal

iTrader: (1)

The E mount 16-50, which may come with a kit configuration, is almost like a pancake lens and fairly inexpensive if bought separately. Very pocketable setup with the A6500 I believe (jacket pocketable, not tight jeans lol)
__________________
2014 "AW/SO"me M5
Mission Performance
RK Autowerks
Corsa Axle back
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 08:04 PM   #19
Gamb1t
Private First Class
Canada
23
Rep
164
Posts

Drives: 4 wheels, 2 headlights, engine
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Canukistan

iTrader: (0)

Sony A7 series.

I use this more than my 5D3 and 7d. Waiting for A7 mk3. What's taking you so long Sony!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 08:43 PM   #20
08njSTEP
Captain
08njSTEP's Avatar
658
Rep
730
Posts

Drives: '07 335i, '66 SS396 Chevelle
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Manchester, NH

iTrader: (0)

I got the Sony a6300 this spring with 16-50 and 55-210 with memory card and battery for $1499. Remarkable camera. Focus is incredibly fast. Great ISO. Lots of brains too. Nice size, like a film SLR(a big reason I bought it). EVF, tilt screen, built in flash, 10fps, and 4k video. The only short coming is large lens(400-600) availability. Sony has a 600 that works with this camera but it's $12,000. An adapter and non Sony lens is still an option.
I absolutely love this camera. The owners manual is a download must have and is around 300 pages.
Sony is also becoming one of the only manufacturers of sensors. They just bought another company. So a lot of Nikon use Sony sensors now.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by 08njSTEP; 12-26-2016 at 08:51 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 08:54 PM   #21
08njSTEP
Captain
08njSTEP's Avatar
658
Rep
730
Posts

Drives: '07 335i, '66 SS396 Chevelle
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Manchester, NH

iTrader: (0)

With zoom
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2017, 01:57 PM   #22
apexlocator
Lieutenant
United_States
87
Rep
471
Posts

Drives: 2014 M5
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: socal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
Sony A7 series.

I use this more than my 5D3 and 7d. Waiting for A7 mk3. What's taking you so long Sony!

The A7 mark 2 is a BIG step up from the A7. Have you tried one?
__________________
2014 "AW/SO"me M5
Mission Performance
RK Autowerks
Corsa Axle back
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:21 PM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST