BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

BPM

01-22-2017, 10:42 PM   #1
Terry989
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Canon 300mm f/2.8 IS USM II

Since I'm considering this lens, just checking to see if anyone on this form has this and can comment on performance and handling?

I enjoy macro and nature photography. My longest lens is currently a Sony FE 70-200mm f/4, which is not quite the reach I need for birds or other shy animals.

I will be using this on a Sony A6300 and will move up the A7III or A7RIII when released. I usually do hiking and no blind work, so I want to keep the weight reasonable. I have also considered the Canon 400mm f/4 DO USM II, but after poring over the all of the Flickr images for these two lens' I find the bokeh of the 300mm more pleasing. The ultimate would be the 400mm f/2.8, but the size and weight would limit the hikes I can do.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:34 AM   #2
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

I am not familiar with that particular lens as I shoot Nikon. However, a fast 300 will work nicely with a 1.4 extender or even a 1.7.
      Yesterday, 05:55 PM   #3
Terry989
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Thanks for the response. Use of the 1.4X extender is another reason I'm considering this lens - - - added flexibility at incremental cost. While it won't have quite the Auto Focus speed and flexibility of a Canon body, it does work good enough on the Sony A7/A6 series until native longer lens's are available.
Appreciate 0