BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

PYSPEED

08-30-2013, 10:00 AM   #1
g222leav
Private First Class

Drives: 2013 AW M3

...Driving a loaner 3.28i, why does BMW make you do somethings twice?

- I get in, turn on the power button, push the automatic start/stop button (2 button presses)
- When I get out, I have the pull the door handle twice (once to unlock, again to open the door)
- When I turn off the car, I have to press the power button twice.

...The F30 3-series are nice and all, I'm pretty tall so the extra headroom/leg room is welcomed, but I miss my M...boo!
g222leav is offline   United_States
      08-30-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
nullrouted
Studying...

Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by g222leav View Post
- I get in, turn on the power button, push the automatic start/stop button (2 button presses)
- When I get out, I have the pull the door handle twice (once to unlock, again to open the door)

...The F30 3-series are nice and all, I'm pretty tall so the extra headroom/leg room is welcomed, but I miss my M...boo!
#1 can be coded out of them so it works like our M3s, others don't necessarily want the auto s/s off by default.

#2 is the same in our M3s (I am not a fan). Though I hear Benvo can code it such that they unlock when you shut off the engine.

#3 also the same in our M3s, if you're talking about fully turning off the iDrive and all. I either have to push 2x or exit the car and touch the CA on the door.

I know what you mean though, they gave me a 528i for the 1200mi service, couldn't wait to get out of it...
nullrouted is offline   United_States
      08-30-2013, 10:18 AM   #3
e1000
that's what SHE said!

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

2 can be coded out or you can disable the auto lock and it will be a single pull

3 not necessary to do, Press once to shut off the engine, exit and lock and the car will figure it out.
      08-30-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
g222leav
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullrouted View Post
#2 is the same in our M3s (I am not a fan). Though I hear Benvo can code it such that they unlock when you shut off the engine.
yea, i'd love to have that coded, as well as having the side mirrors auto-close as well when I lock the doors. I'd contact Benvo, if only I could find him....hmmmm?
      08-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #5
nullrouted
Studying...

Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3

Quote:
yea, i'd love to have that coded, as well as having the side mirrors auto-close as well when I lock the doors. I'd contact Benvo, if only I could find him....hmmmm?
He'll be back on here in like 2.5 months -- but The Tech is still here, and their website/phone numbers still work
nullrouted is offline   United_States
      08-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #6
Carl L
Lieutenant

Drives: 09 E92 M3 Jerez/Beige DCT

Kinda related....

I had an F30 328i loaner a few months back and I must say I think, for us non-car nuts, it's one of the best cars in the world. Smooth, safe, spacious yet easy to park, good power, economy and quite fun to drive while still being fairly smooth riding.

It's always the first car I recommend to friends who have 35-40 grand to spend. When they want a bigger car, it's the 535i as that car needs the bigger engine with so much weight to haul around.
      08-30-2013, 10:39 AM   #7
g222leav
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl L View Post
I had an F30 328i loaner a few months back and I must say I think, for us non-car nuts, it's one of the best cars in the world. Smooth, safe, spacious yet easy to park, good power, economy and quite fun to drive while still being fairly smooth riding.

It's always the first car I recommend to friends who have 35-40 grand to spend. When they want a bigger car, it's the 535i as that car needs the bigger engine with so much weight to haul around.
yea, I agree. I was VERY close to sealing the deal on a 3.35 m-sport build. But it ended up being only about 10k off the price of an M3. Fortunately my wife was like "if you're gonna spend that much, might as well get your dream car." I would have been perfectly happy with a 3-series. It's a much more practical daily driver and makes more sense for the long run.

But once you have tasted the glory that is the M, there really is no turning back.
      08-30-2013, 03:49 PM   #8
Kong Sheng Han
Second Lieutenant

Drives: TiAg/Black E46 M3

My car doesn't have auto lock, so I get to pull the lever once to get out.
Kong Sheng Han is offline   United_States
      08-30-2013, 03:55 PM   #9
NoM3Yet
Private

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullrouted View Post
#3 also the same in our M3s, if you're talking about fully turning off the iDrive and all. I either have to push 2x or exit the car and touch the CA on the door.
You can just press and hold the start/stop button for a second or so and the car completely shuts down. No 2x pushing or locking required.
      08-30-2013, 04:10 PM   #10
lsal
We are all Longwong

Drives: E92 M3 Frozen Blue

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [5.00]
Germans, they're pedantic...
      08-30-2013, 04:19 PM   #11
Koldun
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Because they are dicks and like to laugh at your discomfort. Cackle maniacally, even.
      09-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #12
SlowSaloonM3
Major General

Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullrouted
Quote:

#1 can be coded out of them so it works like our M3s, others don't necessarily want the auto s/s off by default.

I know what you mean though, they gave me a 528i for the 1200mi service, couldn't wait to get out of it...
If you pressed it twice wasnt it off to begin with?

The door is normal.

When you turn the car off you push button once get out and walk away as you lock it. Done.

Monkey see monkey do...I drive a poseur modified sedan.
      09-08-2013, 10:42 AM   #13
X2Board
Late Apex

Drives: '11 X5 M

Quote:
You do know that Benvo is not the sole coder available right? Do you guys just enjoy beating a dead horse?

Better yet, buy a freaking cable and do it yourself, or go over to the coding forum, there is a lot of free help available on there. I've even coded for local people just for a thank you, after learning to do it myself.
X2Board is offline   United_States
      09-08-2013, 10:44 AM   #14
gblansten
Beandoc

Drives: 2011 BMW M3 SSII/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoM3Yet View Post
You can just press and hold the start/stop button for a second or so and the car completely shuts down. No 2x pushing or locking required.
this
gblansten is offline   United_States
      09-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #15
chris3g
Private First Class

Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by X2Board View Post
You do know that Benvo is not the sole coder available right? Do you guys just enjoy beating a dead horse?

Better yet, buy a freaking cable and do it yourself, or go over to the coding forum, there is a lot of free help available on there. I've even coded for local people just for a thank you, after learning to do it myself.
This. It took me about 3 hours on a saturday afternoon after receiving my cable to go from having 0 knowledge whatsoever about coding to having just about every option i wanted coded myself. It's really quite simple and there are numerous step-by-step guides available.