BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

ESS Tuning

07-16-2007, 08:51 AM   #1
chetsstm3

Drives: Audi S4

Decisions, Decisions

Greetings All,
I have been a long time fan of the M3 and this forum, having owned an E36 and an E46 with an M-Roadster between, all obviously amazing cars. I have had my name on the number one spot for the E92 since taking delivery of my E46 way back in November of 2001. My dilemma is that I have miraculously convinced my wife that I/We can afford something a step above and I'm not sure whether to take it. I have narrowed it down to a few options...#1 go with old faithful and get an M3 (no matter what these reviews are saying its going to be a great car) #2 a slightly used 997 turbo (how can you go wrong with a turbo) and last but not least #3 and the one I'm leaning towards the most an Aston Martin Vantage V8 (beautiful car but not a top notch performer). I realize that either way I'm going to have a great 2nd car...my daily driver is a Chevy Avalanche (I work in the construction business) but I just can't make a decision. I don't have very many "car minded" friends to discuss this with so I am turning to you guys for some thoughts...
      07-16-2007, 08:57 AM   #2
ILC32
Lieutenant

Drives: 1993 Porsche RSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetsstm3 View Post
Greetings All,
I have been a long time fan of the M3 and this forum, having owned an E36 and an E46 with an M-Roadster between, all obviously amazing cars. I have had my name on the number one spot for the E92 since taking delivery of my E46 way back in November of 2001. My dilemma is that I have miraculously convinced my wife that I/We can afford something a step above and I'm not sure whether to take it. I have narrowed it down to a few options...#1 go with old faithful and get an M3 (no matter what these reviews are saying its going to be a great car) #2 a slightly used 997 turbo (how can you go wrong with a turbo) and last but not least #3 and the one I'm leaning towards the most an Aston Martin Vantage V8 (beautiful car but not a top notch performer). I realize that either way I'm going to have a great 2nd car...my daily driver is a Chevy Avalanche (I work in the construction business) but I just can't make a decision. I don't have very many "car minded" friends to discuss this with so I am turning to you guys for some thoughts...
I cannot understand how you can reach the position to afford any of your fine choices and yet need help deciding from people you have never met on the internet based on NO information about your priorities with a car, etc. Come on man, just pick one and move on.
      07-16-2007, 09:19 AM   #3
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
Aston. I got a ride in a new Vantage and it was superb experience. Perhaps not the equal of the Porsche on the track but otherwise loads more desirable to this car guy. The English-styled interior was beautiful AND purposeful. Amazing small and low car in person, that was unexpected.
      07-16-2007, 09:25 AM   #4
MIC328i
Captain

I'll take the Aston Martin Vantage V8 anyday .. is just in a different class of exterior and interior styling. Unless you are really into tracking or pure handling performance, either way aston will be my vote.
MIC328i is offline   Canada
      07-16-2007, 09:33 AM   #5
Davo2003
Captain

Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe Jerez and loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILC32 View Post
I cannot understand how you can reach the position to afford any of your fine choices and yet need help deciding from people you have never met on the internet based on NO information about your priorities with a car, etc. Come on man, just pick one and move on.
Real nice. The guy asks for help and you just shit on him. Bravo.

To answer the OP's question. They are all fabulous fun to drive cars. Depends on what circles you travel in. The 997 and AM will "fit in" much better with certain types of people whereas the M3 is less costly and less classy. If I had unlimited funds I would go with the 997 or AM...as it is, I can afford the M3 easily because it comes with free maintenance and full warranty for 4yrs/50K miles plus great customer service. Second I love to drive and have nobody to impress above the level of the M3 so basically the purchase is for myself and my pleasure and in my budget. I'll never be able to "keep up with the Jones's" and it really doesn't bother me, its a rat race. There is always going to be a faster, hotter, more expensive car out there unless you are an oil tycoon with fifty cars in your garage. But like I said the AM and 997 will outclass the M3 if that is one of your reasons for the purchase. Different strokes for different folks, it's your call ultimately. My advice, just get the car you really like the best since they are all within reach.
      07-16-2007, 09:47 AM   #6
devo
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: .2GT3/335Cpe/991 GT3 coming
Location: thinking about cars, girls and money, not necessarily in that order.

Quote:
Greetings All,

I have no experience with the Aston, but I think they are beautiful cars. I prefer more of a driver's car. I can personally say that the 997 tt is a wonderful sports car. I am not so sure I'd go used though, as the prices have not dropped yet. Anyway, 997 turbo all the way. Make sure to get sport adaptive seats; you'll never go back.

PS The only thing that I will say against the turbo is that it is a turbo. I do prefer naturally aspirated engines. But the Porsche tt is too hard to ignore.
      07-16-2007, 09:57 AM   #7
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post

But the Porsche tt is too hard to ignore.
Not when they make something called a GT3!
RandyB is offline   United_States
      07-16-2007, 10:15 AM   #8
devo
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: .2GT3/335Cpe/991 GT3 coming
Location: thinking about cars, girls and money, not necessarily in that order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyB View Post
Not when they make something called a GT3!
Yeah, I love that car too. But for the street, I'd prefer the turbo.
      07-16-2007, 10:38 AM   #9
2002 Tii
Private

Drives: Cooper S JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILC32 View Post

There will be a substantial price gap between M3 and your other two choices. So if price is no issue, I would have to say Aston, which in my opinion is the best designed auto in the world today. What I would be concerned about is depreciation. Out of the three I guess the M3 will hold it's value the best. In any event you can't go wrong with any of those choices. GT3 is really the best choice, best of luck
      07-16-2007, 10:50 AM   #10
JEllis
Brigadier General

Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

-If you want something unique that will get "ooohs and yahs" from people then get the Vantage. You will probably have 1 of only handful in your city and its damn sexy. But like you said, its performance is really not that exciting for the price you pay.

-If you want a performance machine then go with the 997TT. Probably the best daily driveable performer of the three you mentioned.

-If you want to save money then compared with the other two, go with the M3. I have my M3 on order already through military sales but I have the money for a used 997TT or Vantage then I would probably look at other options.

Jason
      07-16-2007, 10:59 AM   #11
ILC32
Lieutenant

Drives: 1993 Porsche RSA

Sorry

To the original poster -- sorry for my response to your message.

I see now that it was shall we say a little harsh.

Good luck with your decision.
      07-16-2007, 11:13 AM   #12
Leg
Captain

Drives: E92 M3 V8 Alpine White

of course there is another option, the M3 AND something like an Atom?

If not, I vote Aston.
      07-16-2007, 11:16 AM   #13
moss
Private First Class

Drives: Audi RS4

The Aston is in a different league - That's the most simply question that has ever appeared on this forum
moss is offline   United Kingdom
      07-16-2007, 12:14 PM   #14
Hans Delbruck
BMW & MB - friends in my garage

Drives: C63, 135i, 1959 BUICK

If you are leaning toward the Aston Martin the most, you need to go with that. You don't want to be driving your M3 and look over and see your dream car go by and think "shoulda woulda coulda"

The AM is really beautiful. You can't go wrong to at least give it a try. And since it's your weekend toy, why not?

It's OK to move on from the M3... you can always get one later.
Hans Delbruck is offline   United_States
      07-16-2007, 12:22 PM   #15
M3onTwomps
First Lieutenant

Drives: '02 E46 M3

Aston Martin!!!
M3onTwomps is offline   Iraq
      07-16-2007, 01:37 PM   #16
carnuts3
Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 535i

I agree. Very few Astons on the road. Class and exclusivity. But I'm not sure I would buy one. I think I would lease it.
      07-16-2007, 01:53 PM   #17
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel

Garage List
saw this on a big banner last week "Free Walther PPK and Omega with every Aston Martin purchase over $90,000"
      07-16-2007, 02:04 PM   #18
Romo
Captain

Drives: 1M, HP4 Comp, Cayman GTS

The AM is not verry well build, it has a bigger engine ( 4,3 Liter) and less HP compared to the new M3. Yes the AM does look better, maybe more "exclusive" but that is all IMO. Also the AM is far more expensive in the Netherlands that is. AM is not realy a 4 seater, BMW is.
It is also verry verry loud; Quote JC from Top Gear; " you can hear it comming 2 miles out"............................

The new M3 will eat the AM for breakfast for sure.............................
Romo is offline   Netherlands
      07-16-2007, 02:12 PM   #19
Hans Delbruck
BMW & MB - friends in my garage

Drives: C63, 135i, 1959 BUICK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
The AM is not verry well build, it has a bigger engine ( 4,3 Liter) and less HP compared to the new M3. Yes the AM does look better, maybe more "exclusive" but that is all IMO. Also the AM is far more expensive in the Netherlands that is. AM is not realy a 4 seater, BMW is.
It is also verry verry loud; Quote JC from Top Gear; " you can hear it comming 2 miles out"............................

The new M3 will eat the AM for breakfast for sure.............................
Yea, but if his heart is saying "Aston Martin" none of that logic and performance figures on paper will matter.

Cars are like relationships sometimes..... You just do crazy things.
Hans Delbruck is offline   United_States
      07-16-2007, 02:20 PM   #20
2002 Tii
Private

Drives: Cooper S JCW

[quote=Romo;1182005]

QUOTE]

That would make for some very unhappy neighbors.
      07-16-2007, 02:26 PM   #21
Romo
Captain

Drives: 1M, HP4 Comp, Cayman GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck View Post
Yea, but if his heart is saying "Aston Martin" none of that logic and performance figures on paper will matter.

Cars are like relationships sometimes..... You just do crazy things.

So it is.....................
Romo is offline   Netherlands
      07-16-2007, 05:01 PM   #22
lucid
Major General

Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Greetings All,
Will you track the car? If not, I'd personally go with the Vantage if you can afford it. If you will track it, then I'd consider the GT3.
lucid is offline   United_States