BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

BPM Sport

08-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
Drop the hammer
Private

Drives: '11 E93 Aw,Armada,Titan,F350

Calgary is a bit over-the-top rich

Bad enough our BMW dealers are pumping out M's left right and center, plus new Lambo dealership opening soon. Bentley's top dealership is here already....now this. People are this town are in a spending bubble. Amazing.

Except from Calgary Herald today:
"Many people counted themselves lucky when they scored tickets to Elton Johnís whistle-stop tour of Alberta this spring, with concerts in Red Deer, Lethbridge and Grande Prairie. Imagine then, the surprise and delight when the 100 or so guests at a wedding in Calgary Saturday learned the entertainment was none other than the iconic British singer.

Johnís performance at the small, intimate affair in Springbank was confirmed to the Herald by multiple sources. The singerís appearance was arranged as a surprise by the groom.

While a $3-million payday to John was bandied about in one media report, a source tells the Herald that that figure is inflated. Much more likely, they said, was that John was a paid a ďstipendĒ and then a sizeable donation was made to the singerís AIDS foundation, which has raised more than $200 million to support HIV/AIDS programs since its inception in 1992.

John is set to resume his residency at Caesarís Palace in Las Vegas on Oct. 10. The album Elton John vs. Pnau, Good Morning to the Night, hit No. 1 on the U.K. charts when it was released last week.

The 65-year-old singer/songwriter, born Reginald Dwight, has sold more than 250 million records in his career, with hits such as Your Song, Saturday Nightís Alright for Fighting, Candle in the Wind and many more.

He entered into a civic partnership with Canadian David Furnish in 2005. The pair had a son, Zachary, via surrogate on Christmas Day, 2010. Lady Gaga is reported to be one of the childís godparents.

© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/health/Elton+John+makes+surprise+performance+Springbank+w edding/7026733/story.html#ixzz22QQSXXiq"
      08-02-2012, 10:11 PM   #2
Taunto
Car Enthusiast

Drives: 05 CB M3 SMG

Send a message via MSN to Taunto Send a message via Skype™ to Taunto
I would love to have that kind of money. one day i will win the lottery.
I remember reading somewhere a few months ago stateing that Calgary has more Millionaires per capital than any where else in Canada.
Taunto is offline   Canada
      08-03-2012, 08:21 AM   #3
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
What does this really have to do with Calgary specifically. This could happen or be happening anywhere.
      08-03-2012, 09:21 AM   #4
Drop the hammer
Private

Drives: '11 E93 Aw,Armada,Titan,F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
What does this really have to do with Calgary specifically. This could happen or be happening anywhere.
True and it does, just blows me away what people will spend their cash on when they swim in it, it is interesting. The only reason I mentioned this happening here is I'm looking out my office window at the city now, yet back in my home town people are just scraping by, blows me away the spending I see here infront of me. Good for the economy I guess, good for Elton Johns charities too.
      08-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #5
M Pulse
Private First Class

Drives: 2012 E92 M3

I still don't understand what point you're trying to make here by this thread? We have poverty in third world countries and rich oil countries including some who are direct neighbours to poor ones!!!

Are you saying that Calgerians are some sort of snobs because they spend their money on Lambo's, Bentley's and private concerts?
M Pulse is offline   Canada
      08-05-2012, 10:35 AM   #6
WRXXX
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E92 SG M3

What a dumb post.