BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
BPM Sport
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
oaks88
Private First Class
 
oaks88's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 e90 335
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Glen Ellyn

Posts: 129
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Red light cam

How easy is it to fight a red light camera traffic ticket? My buddy thinks he just got another one and would like some advice.

Thanks for the help
oaks88 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
BKV122
Major
 
BKV122's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 1,088
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 330xi  [4.75]
Usually no luck. If the lights red and you went through it then your guilty. In my area red light tickets are $50 and isn't even worth the day off from work and the hassle to fight it
__________________

Monaco Blue 330xi - Terra Interior/6-MT/Sport/Premium/Cold/CSL's/M3 Spoiler Lip/Black Kidney's
BKV122 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #3
schoy
Private First Class
 
Drives: Melbourne Red E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SD

Posts: 125
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKV122 View Post
Usually no luck. If the lights red and you went through it then your guilty. In my area red light tickets are $50 and isn't even worth the day off from work and the hassle to fight it
Lucky you. Our tickets here are almost $500. Plus, you get to view your violation over the Internet.
schoy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-01-2012, 09:57 PM   #4
TeRRoRiFiC35
Private First Class
 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NJ

Posts: 110
iTrader: (0)

Check to see when the last time that camera was calibrated. NJ shut down theirs for awhile when they found more than 90% of the towns never had them calibrated in a specific time frame. These stupid camera's are a money grab by the states. It is run by a third party which I think is located in Arizona. My feeling is if a cop didn't see it, then you shouldn't be ticketed. It just begs the question why you need so many cops if they aren't going to do the simple parts of their job.
TeRRoRiFiC35 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2012, 03:28 AM   #5
karliejai
Da Kid
 
karliejai's Avatar
 
Drives: JetBlack e90 335i
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Livingston, NJ

Posts: 4,577
iTrader: (4)

Send a message via AIM to karliejai
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeRRoRiFiC35 View Post
Check to see when the last time that camera was calibrated. NJ shut down theirs for awhile when they found more than 90% of the towns never had them calibrated in a specific time frame. These stupid camera's are a money grab by the states. It is run by a third party which I think is located in Arizona. My feeling is if a cop didn't see it, then you shouldn't be ticketed. It just begs the question why you need so many cops if they aren't going to do the simple parts of their job.
lol wut
thats like saying. its okay to steal if no one catches you.

anyways, probably 0% chance of fighting it.
__________________


MODS: OEM Front Splitter | ACS Roof Spoiler | OEM Trunk Spoiler | Matt Black Front Grill | Black Shadowline Window Trim | Painted Front Lower Rod | Blacklines | JDM Yellow Fogs | Custom Silver CF Headlights with LUX 4.0 | Eisenhaus Sports Exhaust
karliejai is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2012, 08:59 AM   #6
boymonkey
Lieutenant
 
Drives: slow
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canada

Posts: 536
iTrader: (0)

If you're a good friend then tell him to stop running those lights. It's dangerous and delays everyone else.
boymonkey is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #7
Maestro
Captain
 
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Philadelphia

Posts: 868
iTrader: (0)

Depends on the state, if in Calif there are recent specific case law which makes winning them much easier.The basic defense is the ticket is hearsay, and your not afforded the right to confront your accuser. Other states made the ticket a civil offense which make it virtually impossible to win, since the only way to win is to prove it was not your car or not you in the car at the time. So they got the wrong car and person. Some state fine the car, not the driver they do not care who was driving the fact the car had its picture taken is enough to make the register owner pay.

Last edited by Maestro; 08-02-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Maestro is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2012, 09:41 AM   #8
CoconutPete
Coconut Pete's paella!
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North CT / Denmark

Posts: 111
iTrader: (0)

Pretty hard to fight .... they have a picture of him ... driving through a red light.....

Short of "ghosts made me do it" I cant think of anything.
CoconutPete is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #9
Sara504
Lieutenant General
 
Sara504's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 335is
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA

Posts: 17,671
iTrader: (6)

Id give you my advice but he doesnt have the right parts. :/
__________________

2013 335is-Current
2011 335i -Sold 4/13 2006 325i-Sold 7/11
Sara504 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #10
bumere90
Grozniy
 
Drives: Carless
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: FL

Posts: 2,588
iTrader: (12)

why would you break the law and try to prove that you're innocent? you're buddy needs to grow up and learn to pay for his mistakes
running a red light is extremely dangerous and could take someone's life
__________________
-fatman
bumere90 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #11
immiketoo
Colonel
 
immiketoo's Avatar
 
Drives: Smoothly
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago Burbs

Posts: 2,873
iTrader: (0)

Your buddy is screwed. Just tell him to pay up sucka
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
immiketoo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-03-2012, 08:11 AM   #12
TeRRoRiFiC35
Private First Class
 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NJ

Posts: 110
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karliejai View Post
lol wut
thats like saying. its okay to steal if no one catches you.

anyways, probably 0% chance of fighting it.
You should know those tickets steal from people. I got one in my loaner car for putting the front bumper over the line in Edison. The camera flash on those things blinded me.
TeRRoRiFiC35 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #13
Rookie83
First Lieutenant
 
Rookie83's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 335i 6mt cpe
Join Date: May 2011
Location: DFW

Posts: 380
iTrader: (1)

Here in texas i think its just a good faith thing. If you pay it thank you, if not well there is not much we can do. I know they can not put a warrant out for your arrest. Ive heard they can put it on your credit report but its been 3 years so far and nothing has happened with mine
Rookie83 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-03-2012, 10:05 AM   #14
kyleb350
Brigadier General
 
kyleb350's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: LoMbard, IL

Posts: 4,170
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaks88 View Post
How easy is it to fight a red light camera traffic ticket? My buddy thinks he just got another one and would like some advice.

Thanks for the help
I got one rolling through a red turning right at the Finley and Roosevelt intersection. They sent me a link to the video, and yep, had no choice but to bust out the credit card. I don't agree with it as I was literally only going a couple miles an hour and could have stopped if there was oncoming traffic, but it was after midnight, and I was the only car at the intersection.

Last edited by kyleb350; 08-03-2012 at 10:26 AM.
kyleb350 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #15
Kensta335
Brigadier General
 
Kensta335's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: So Cal 626

Posts: 3,633
iTrader: (4)

Not sure about other states, but in California, you don't have to pay for them anymore.

Quote:
"The tickets are part of a "voluntary payment program" without sanctions for those who fail to submit fines, said Richard M. Tefank, executive director of the city's Board of Police Commissioners.

"The consequence is somebody calling you from one of these collection agencies and saying 'pay up.' And that's it," said committee member and Councilman Bill Rosendahl. "There's no real penalty in terms of your driver's license or any other consequences if you don't pay."
Kensta335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #16
Maestro
Captain
 
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Philadelphia

Posts: 868
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie83 View Post
Here in texas i think its just a good faith thing. If you pay it thank you, if not well there is not much we can do. I know they can not put a warrant out for your arrest. Ive heard they can put it on your credit report but its been 3 years so far and nothing has happened with mine

I would not bet it will not come back at you, it may take years but eventually the local town will report the failure to pay to the state and they will suspend your license and if you get stop it could cost you or at least when you go to renew they will not let you until you clear up the ticket and then possible pay a reinstatement fee for your license.

Yes, you legal my not have to pay and all your rights maybe voliated with automatic ticketing systems, but they government does not care since the burden falls on you and it will cost you more to prove your right so the government are blackmailing people into paying.

If you do not believe me there are plenty of example of what I described on the internet of people who ended up paying a lot more.
Maestro is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-03-2012, 02:07 PM   #17
immiketoo
Colonel
 
immiketoo's Avatar
 
Drives: Smoothly
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago Burbs

Posts: 2,873
iTrader: (0)

What would most likely happen is it would be filed against your credit rating for non payment.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
immiketoo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #18
BKV122
Major
 
BKV122's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 1,088
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 330xi  [4.75]
In in my county they're starting to impound cars that have outstanding red light tickets. As long as your parked in a public area they can tow it to the impound yard.
__________________

Monaco Blue 330xi - Terra Interior/6-MT/Sport/Premium/Cold/CSL's/M3 Spoiler Lip/Black Kidney's
BKV122 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-03-2012, 03:38 PM   #19
schoy
Private First Class
 
Drives: Melbourne Red E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SD

Posts: 125
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensta335 View Post
Not sure about other states, but in California, you don't have to pay for them anymore.
Wrong. Depends on each city's laws. I believe it is the case in Los Angeles (where your quote came from), but it's certainly not true for the entire state of CA.
schoy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #20
giants84
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 13 x6 5.0
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Brooklyn,New York

Posts: 215
iTrader: (0)

Escort 9500.
giants84 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #21
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka
 
Drives: Exceptionally well :)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 1,173
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaks88 View Post
How easy is it to fight a red light camera traffic ticket? My buddy thinks he just got another one and would like some advice.

Thanks for the help
Jim Carry's advice....

"Stop breaking the law, asshole!!"
__________________
-Joe


"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Mr Tonka is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #22
txz4
Major
 
txz4's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 M coupe
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: san antonio, texas

Posts: 1,098
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
I would not bet it will not come back at you, it may take years but eventually the local town will report the failure to pay to the state and they will suspend your license and if you get stop it could cost you or at least when you go to renew they will not let you until you clear up the ticket and then possible pay a reinstatement fee for your license.

Yes, you legal my not have to pay and all your rights maybe voliated with automatic ticketing systems, but they government does not care since the burden falls on you and it will cost you more to prove your right so the government are blackmailing people into paying.

If you do not believe me there are plenty of example of what I described on the internet of people who ended up paying a lot more.
You must not be familiar with Texas. As said above, the cameras violate your right to confront your accuser, ive never heard of someone actually getting in trouble for not paying.
txz4 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:08 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST