BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

07-31-2012, 06:49 PM   #45
tbonem3
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2012 M3

^totally agree
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 07:07 PM   #46
CrusherM3
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2012 M3 E92 Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIS View Post
Clearly two camps on this thread. Those that suggest a reasoned proportional response with the dealer, and then moving on. The other camp is suggesting a nuclear reaction, grabbing your beast in one hand and a Glock in the other and then going postal. I wonder if these two camps break down by age? I ask because when I was younger I was definitely in the latter camp, but with age and experience I have moved into the former camp, thankfully.
Riff Raff in the 2nd camp?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 07:55 PM   #47
GIdriver
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2014 E63 AMG-S

Even if it is a small scratch, I'd be pissed too. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 08:33 PM   #48
dagolfpro
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by X2Board View Post
I totally get why the OP is furious. If I do something that causes damage to my car, I'll be pissed at myself, but at least I'm the one making the payments. When you leave your car in the care of another person and they cause damage, that is not disclosed asap, that is a whole other matter.
It's one thing when you to do something like accidentally bump into something versus someone else accidentally bumping into you. Then act like nothing's happened and don't apologize or better yet, they blame you. Curb rash or an accidental bump, not the end of the world, people simply need to be accountable for their actions.

In OP's case. Dealer scratched it. They need to fix it or if it doesn't match original ZCP color AFTER the fix, then get it replaced.
Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Painted Reflectors | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | 18" Volks TE37SL Pressed Graphite | Yokohama AD08 | Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 09:50 PM   #49
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2009 M3 E93 SSII/Bamboo

I guess I fall into the second camp. Sure, I would be bummed about the rim, but going ballistic on the dealer with the expectation of a new rim just seems a bit extreme. They can make it right without replacing the entire rim

My car is stored winters and rarely sees rain, but it has the usual rock chips... sh!t happens and you drive on.

Heck with my recent overseas military move, my M3 showed up with almost $1,800 dollars in transport damage and my winter car may get totaled from the amount of damage it sustained.

Does it suck, yeah, but it I personally don't even consider rant-worthy. Sh!t happens, and you simply must set reasonable expectations for satisfaction.

I wasn't one of the 46 US service members to die in Afghanistan this month and I drive an M3.......those scratches that will eventually get fix really don't phase me in perspective.
      07-31-2012, 10:17 PM   #50
M3Now!
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 09 E93, Jerez Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
A bit of advice for everyone
Everytime you pick up the car from the dealer
Make sure to walk around it and check for any damage
I also check the steering wheel and driver side
The second you drive out of the dealer lot, there is a lot less pressure on them to replace any damage. They can always claim the damage happened outside the dealer

Last time I checked my steering wheel and they had damaged it
I got a free replacement performance (non-electronic) steering wheel
+1, and also let me turn this around. I picked up a BMW loaner today while they mount new tires on my car and fix the F*CKING RATTLE IN THE PASSENGER DOOR!!

Anyway, the woman handed me the clipboard and said "I checked everything." I walked around and said "Someone curbed three of the four wheels, really badly." "Really??" That's a fight I didn't need.

So check your car, and check the loaner!

Cheers

2009 E93 M3 - it's, um, pretty fun
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 10:59 PM   #51
m3an
Banned
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by osteome View Post
I guess I fall into the second camp. Sure, I would be bummed about the rim, but going ballistic on the dealer with the expectation of a new rim just seems a bit extreme. They can make it right without replacing the entire rim

My car is stored winters and rarely sees rain, but it has the usual rock chips... sh!t happens and you drive on.

Heck with my recent overseas military move, my M3 showed up with almost $1,800 dollars in transport damage and my winter car may get totaled from the amount of damage it sustained.

Does it suck, yeah, but it I personally don't even consider rant-worthy. Sh!t happens, and you simply must set reasonable expectations for satisfaction.

I wasn't one of the 46 US service members to die in Afghanistan this month and I drive an M3.......those scratches that will eventually get fix really don't phase me in perspective.

well said.. Shit def sucks, and I use to be the one to go nuts, and am still pretty anal, but in the grand scheme of things we're doing better than a whole lot of others..
God Bless!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 12:37 AM   #52
mpower4life
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: E36 Avus Blue M3 / E39 M5

man some of you guys must really not be true car guys if you are harping on the OP for being upset. And I believe you all are going a little overboard in saying that he basically lost his shit over it. I would be pissed, and probably more if they tried to tell me I was SOL. Having a scratch on YOUR wheel when it was someone else's doing and then try get out of it.... that's not a reputable customer service that I would like my business to uphold. Pretty convinced those are the people who did not "earn" their cars. NUFF SAID.
      08-01-2012, 05:17 AM   #53
tbonem3
Private First Class
Rep

well took the car to dealer this morning and showed it to their service manager, and he said they can fix it "100%"...so I will be dropping it off this weekend and they will send the wheel to their body shop.

as far as who did it, no one knows. his argument is they have hundreds of cars move in and out each day of their already cramped facility, and they are looking to expand and build a bigger place, blah, blah..BS if you ask me.

it sounds like this stuff happens more often than not, and they don't do much to their employees who do this damage, which is ridiculous.

Now every time I go to the dealer, I have to cross my fingers and pray I don't get any damage.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 08:28 AM   #54
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonem3 View Post
well took the car to dealer this morning and showed it to their service manager, and he said they can fix it "100%"...so I will be dropping it off this weekend and they will send the wheel to their body shop.

as far as who did it, no one knows. his argument is they have hundreds of cars move in and out each day of their already cramped facility, and they are looking to expand and build a bigger place, blah, blah..BS if you ask me.

it sounds like this stuff happens more often than not, and they don't do much to their employees who do this damage, which is ridiculous.

Now every time I go to the dealer, I have to cross my fingers and pray I don't get any damage.
Or just actually inspect your car before you take it back to the house.
      08-01-2012, 08:36 AM   #55
SamS
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3

Quote:

Well there you go. Count yourself lucky that they didn't give you hassle for not reporting it when you picked it up.

Totally sucks on a new car, but it's probably gonna happen sooner or later. So better that the dealer will fix 100% for free.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 08:44 AM   #56
ottoblotto
///M-Flight Bavaria
Germany
Rep

Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2011.75 BMW M3 E90  [5.00]
2010 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Or just actually inspect your car before you take it back to the house.
100% this!
And OP, Im really glad it turned out well. Even though they damaged her, they're making good on it. I would stay a customer with them. Period.
      08-01-2012, 08:46 AM   #57
///M3AN
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 Jet Black E90 M3

Garage List
It doesn't surprise me that the dealer said he would take care of it. I had this same thing happen to my Acura TL and I didn't notice it until after the weekend. I just explained to the GM that if I had done it, I would have known it and my other 3 rims were a testimant to that. I just wanted it to be right.... Without any hassle they said, we'll get you a new wheel on there today.

The price of a wheel to a dealer is not worth losing a customer over (in most dealers’ minds)
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 09:02 AM   #58
lorinzo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Quote:

That's a good start.
Hope the repair turns out to your liking.
| 2011 M3 Sedan | Le Mans Blue | M-DCT | ZC2 | ZCP | ZP3 | Moonroof | Enhanced Premium Sound | Dinan free flow exhaust | Dinan performance engine software | Dinan pulley | Dinan intake | Dinan pedals | Bimmian LED interior | Lux H8 V3 | WeissLicht PY24W LED | 20% tint | IND reflectors | IND front grills | IND key hole cover | IND hood vents | IND M5 mirror covers | Reus Systems audio upgrade | Verstraβe shifter paddles | BBS LM 20x9 et 15 and 20x10 et 20 | Michelin PSS 245/30/20 and 275/30/20 | H&R Sport springs |
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 09:18 AM   #59
tbonem3
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks guys for all the support. you know many times when shit like this happens and you go ont he forums and post your issues and rants, and start getting feedback, even from both sides, it sure starts making you feeling a little easier and lowering your boiling point.

I just hope the fixing is to my liking, and put it behind me. and yes, scratches will happen.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #60
Powerbeast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 M3 Dakar Yellow

You gotta prove they did it, where could the tech have curbed it?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 10:14 AM   #61
chmura
Lieutenant
Rep

Glad they are fixing for you.

Next time you go to the dealer for service do a walk around with your SA and tell him there is not exterior or wheel damage, etc. So if you get the car back with damage, there is BS of who caused the damage.

2011 BMW M3 Sedan Alpine White
Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Leather Trim | 6 MT | Premium Package 3 | Competition Package | Fold Down Seats | Satellite Radio | iPod/USB | Anti-Theft Alarm
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #62
vzm3
United_States
Rep

Talking

Actually, I don't know why some people here are saying that they are sure the dealer won't get you a new one..

The same exact thing happened to my ZCP wheel when it was getting an oil change, as the tech was driving it over the lift rails, i complained about it, they tried fixing it, I HATE THE LOOK OF FIXED WHEELS.

I complained that I was not happy with a "repaired" wheel, 15 minutes later "We will order you a new wheel sir, on us"

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #63
TVMA Doc
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2011 E90 M3, Jerez Black

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbook View Post
I had my car at the dealer getting a new tire on one of my GTS wheels because I got a nail in it and have the wheel and tire warranty. I get a call over 2 hours later saying "I have some bad news... they scratched your wheel mounting the tire".

I went to the dealer and he told me he would have it repaired for me. I told him that I bought the wheel warranty in case I scratched my wheels, not if they did and that I wanted it replaced. He began to argue with me saying that I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I told him if I was ever to sell the wheels I would have to disclose that it was repaired to the buyer to which he responded "no, you legally don't have to. Would you tell a buyer about every little scratch and ding you ever had on your car if you sold it?". I told him I would hope someone would do the same for me regarding selling the wheel and that I wanted it replaced.

He told me that because of the style of the wheel and the fact that the M3 has RUN-FLAT tires... that every time you mount a tire, you are going to scratch the wheel. I told him when I bought the wheels that the guy never scratched one while mounting all four tires, so I would expect that a dealership would have the expertise as well. I also told him that the car didn't have run-flat tires and that dealerships always tell everyone that to get them to buy the tire and wheel warranty. He disagreed saying that is the reason there is no spare tire.

Annnnnyways.... he finally conceded and replaced my wheel (I asked for the purchase receipt and part #), so you should do the same.
WOW. There is so much wrong with this sentence. The M3 does not have run flats and there is no reason to scratch the wheel when mounting. I also had the finance lady tell me that the M3 had "run flats" to get me to buy the tire warranty-it actually worked out well in the end, though. My first non-repairable tire was within 3 weeks of purchase. (I will have to note that my sales adviser was pretty mad to hear that I was told this.)

I am having a new wheel (THANKS Tischer!) mounted at Wheel Works as we speak. It's funny, but they never gave a disclaimer that "uh, we're gonna have to scratch up that wheel when we mount it", so I don't suspect that I'm going to find any significant damage when I pick it up today/tomorrow.

To the OP: If your dealer doesn't make it right I'd definitely recommend using another dealer. Also you should be able to get that wheel touched up by a professional for about $150 (that's the going rate here in the SF Bay at least), or get a brand new wheel for $487 at Tischer if the sale is still on. (No tax, free shipping)

I hope that all turns out well for you OP.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #64
TVMA Doc
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2011 E90 M3, Jerez Black

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vzmartinii View Post
Actually, I don't know why some people here are saying that they are sure the dealer won't get you a new one..

The same exact thing happened to my ZCP wheel when it was getting an oil change, as the tech was driving it over the lift rails, i complained about it, they tried fixing it, I HATE THE LOOK OF FIXED WHEELS.

I complained that I was not happy with a "repaired" wheel, 15 minutes later "We will order you a new wheel sir, on us"

I think that people are confusing the issue. If you have wheel warranty it will not be replaced unless it is leaking air. If your dealer damaged your vehicle while servicing the vehicle, they are at least ethically obligated to return the vehicle to 100% condition-even if that means a new wheel.

If the dealership tries to weasel out of it, push the issue and make sure to NEVER use them again.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #65
///M3AN
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 Jet Black E90 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vzmartinii View Post

+1 a "fixed wheel" is not 100% in my mind... If the dealer is any good at all they will replace the wheel. Dealer cost on a zcp wheel can't be much more than $200, if that...
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 11:08 PM   #66
CrusherM3
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2012 M3 E92 Jet Black

tbonem3: Glad you are going to get the wheel fixed. Still don't understand all the replies of "Oh well, Shit happens". Yes it does sometimes, but when a dealer or his rep does the "shit" then they are responsible, period. I have spent a lot of hard earned money on my M3 and I don't like people tearing it up. I don't know why that is so hard to understand?
Appreciate 0