BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

ESS Tuning

07-31-2012, 12:53 PM   #23
SamS
Brigadier General

Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3

I'd be mad too. This will remind me to do a good walk around after any service trip.

I think you'll be doing OK to get the wheel repaired by the dealer. An entirely new wheel is very likely out of the question, and I don't see how that would be warranted given a repair will having it looking like 100% new.
      07-31-2012, 12:56 PM   #24
ChrisK
Brigadier General

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated ///M View Post
If you're furious over a small rash like that now, what are you going to do when stones from other cars tires start chipping your front end? Sue them? This car isn't an exotic by any means. Go drive it and I'm sure it'll make you forget all about that small blemish.
Really?! Have you not met any of us on this forum

I totally am behind the OP. Stones from other cars is not same as someones carelessness while handling your 75k car.

Get a new wheel from them! The ZCP wheels are dam near impossible to color match. Believe me, I just went through something similar to this a few months ago. My wheel that got scratched was brand new!

2011 E92 M3: AW/BLK • DCT
Europäische Lieferung am 6. August 2010
ChrisK is offline   United_States
      07-31-2012, 01:12 PM   #25
HotIce
Banned

Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Really?! Have you not met any of us on this forum

I totally am behind the OP. Stones from other cars is not same as someones carelessness while handling your 75k car.

Get a new wheel from them! The ZCP wheels are dam near impossible to color match. Believe me, I just went through something similar to this a few months ago. My wheel that got scratched was brand new!
I haven't met anyone on the forum, unfortunately. Look at it this way, the rims are going to get rashed one way or another. That's nothing compared to what will happen over the lifespan of the car. Is he going to replace a part after every ding or dent? I would notify the dealership and let them know what happened but I wouldn't be pressed over a new wheel. This car offers so much more. It's a car you drive, not let sit in the garage. Things are bound to happen sooner or later.
HotIce is offline   United_States
      07-31-2012, 01:33 PM   #26
ottoblotto
///M-Flight Bavaria

Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2010 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011.75 BMW M3 E90  [5.00]
Quote:
If you're furious over a small rash like that now, what are you going to do when stones from other cars tires start chipping your front end? Sue them? This car isn't an exotic by any means. Go drive it and I'm sure it'll make you forget all about that small blemish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
"Very furious"?? Over a pretty small rim scratch? You must have a pretty charmed life if that's enough to trigger a "very furious" reaction.

And why on earth wouldn't a new rim be enough for you?? It's not as if a scratched rim has compromised some other part of the car or caused you some huge inconvenience or hardship.

Chill out and accept that these things are bound to happen. Yes, it's unfortunate that it happened to you so soon, but consider it conditioning for your first ding/scratch experience. Then just get in the car, drive it like it's supposed to be driven, and soon enough you'll forget all about it -- especially since it's on the passenger's side where you're less likely to see it all the time. I have a minor ding on my right rear quarter panel and my wife scraped part of my passenger door edge when she opened the door and let it hit a concrete wall. They both sucked for a couple days after they happened, and now I never even think about them.

Bottom line: It's just a car, and a cosmetic blemish won't get in the way of the real way it's supposed to make you happy. If you MUST bring it up with the dealer, be calm and reasonable. That will likely go much farther and deliver much more of a long-term benefit than being a tool.
You guys are strange (and maybe very well off?). Id be pissed if I did this to my car, BMW or Ford or POSRUSTBUCKETCRAPROLLER. Id go BALLISTIC if someone else does it. Its MY car and I treat it accordingly. If someone else with whom I trust her with does damage, then they need to make it right and whole again. Period.

OP, ALWAYS inspect your car prior to leaving the lot. I learned that lesson a long time ago...
      07-31-2012, 01:36 PM   #27
nineonenine
Second Lieutenant

Drives: M3

That's a $50 fix from a mobile rim repair guy if dealer doesn't help.
      07-31-2012, 01:37 PM   #28
tbonem3
Private First Class

Drives: 2012 M3

^ totally agree.
      07-31-2012, 01:40 PM   #29
ChrisK
Brigadier General

Quote:
I haven't met anyone on the forum, unfortunately. Look at it this way, the rims are going to get rashed one way or another. That's nothing compared to what will happen over the lifespan of the car. Is he going to replace a part after every ding or dent? I would notify the dealership and let them know what happened but I wouldn't be pressed over a new wheel. This car offers so much more. It's a car you drive, not let sit in the garage. Things are bound to happen sooner or later.
When I asked if you met anyone on here it was sarcasm.

I have owned many cars which I have kept the wheels in pristine shape. I would say 98% of this forum keep their wheels looking perfect.

07-31-2012, 01:41 PM   #30
ChrisK
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineonenine View Post
That is a better option that sending the wheel off to be refinished.

07-31-2012, 01:48 PM   #31
rjd598
Brigadier General

Drives: 10' M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.50]
1999 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoblotto View Post
You guys are strange (and maybe very well off?). Id be pissed if I did this to my car, BMW or Ford or POSRUSTBUCKETCRAPROLLER. Id go BALLISTIC if someone else does it. Its MY car and I treat it accordingly. If someone else with whom I trust her with does damage, then they need to make it right and whole again. Period.

OP, ALWAYS inspect your car prior to leaving the lot. I learned that lesson a long time ago...
EXACTLY. the point is that if you do it to your own car it's your own fault or w/e you want to call it. when someone else does it then it happened because of someone else on YOUR car. i don't care if the scratch was a 1/4 of that size i would still raise hell because someone else messed up my car. i rather scratch it myself then have other people do it because if i ever to cause damage it will be alot less than a dealer or anyone else

rjd598 is offline   United_States
      07-31-2012, 02:03 PM   #32
Poofyo101
Major

Drives: e92 ///M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
1990 BMW M3  [0.00]
I would be super mad. Always tell my SA to not test drive the car, and have never had a problem.
      07-31-2012, 02:47 PM   #33
X2Board
Late Apex

Drives: '11 X5 M

I totally get why the OP is furious. If I do something that causes damage to my car, I'll be pissed at myself, but at least I'm the one making the payments. When you leave your car in the care of another person and they cause damage, that is not disclosed asap, that is a whole other matter.
X2Board is offline   United_States
      07-31-2012, 02:56 PM   #34
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
You can be pissed about it, but you left the lot with that rash on your wheel and didn't say anything... I wish you good luck getting them to admit they were at fault. They could be total dicks and just deny that they did that at all and you really have nothing to prove that they did it... Maybe that's just me being cynical, lol...

I'm pretty anal about my car. I even take pictures of the odometer reading before I drop it off, just in case I wind up picking it up from an oil change with like 50 more miles on it then I'll know some idiot went for a spin in it.

I'm hoping they will work with you, but I mean technically you did take the car back and didn't tell them about it right away. If they wanted to, they could essentially tell you "I didn't do that, prove it," and then you'll be even more pissed and still paying to get it fixed.
      07-31-2012, 03:05 PM   #35
gblansten
Beandoc

Drives: 2011 BMW M3 SSII/Black

If I curbed a friend or family member's wheel I would pay for a repair and apologize. I expect the dealer to not damage my car.
gblansten is offline   United_States
      07-31-2012, 03:14 PM   #36
bga23
Dirty old man

Drives: 2011.99 E90 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineonenine View Post
Yep, wheel does not need to be replaced. It can be repaired for a few bucks and you'll never know it was damaged.

I'd still try and get the dealer to pay for it though.
      07-31-2012, 03:26 PM   #37
toper
Second Lieutenant

Drives: Boxster Spyder

can't believe the replies backing up the dealer here, but w/e. (this assumes that the service department did create the damage and did not disclose this to the OP, OP isn't lying and did this while sleep-driving, gremlins weren't involved, etc.)

with that said, good luck getting resolution from them considering you didn't do a walkaround before leaving the dealership.

anyways thanks for sharing the name of this service department, i'll make sure my bimmer owning friends/family avoid this place (unless there is an update to this thread showing that this service dept made everything right).
      07-31-2012, 03:35 PM   #38
iamcpap
Captain

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

I bought my car brand new with a scratch on the wheel from being moved around the lot by porters, etc. I simply pointed it out and they refinished the wheel... Even if they don't refinish the wheel, it costs $125-$150. Never thought about it again.

I know it is frustrating, but just have it fixed and move on. Wait for the first time you get your front bumper stuck on a 5 inch curb that you have to back off of...
2011 E92 M3 ZCP | EVOLVE Tune | HRE R43 | B&G Sport Springs | Dinan Axle-Back & Intake | Challenge Street X-Pipe | 3D Design Pedals | IND Tri-Stitched Shift/Brake Boots | IND Cosmetics | GTS Door Sills | Euro Sunvisors
iamcpap is offline   United_States
      07-31-2012, 03:49 PM   #39
Peahi
Captain

Drives: 2012 M3 CPE

I've seen scratched zcp wheels on new cars at dealer. Sigh.
One of my wheels was rashed 2nd week owning it by my uncle who wanted to drive it. What are u gonna do? I knew they were gonna get rashed sooner or later especially driving in urban turf.

I feel for you man. They gotta fix at the very least. And they should throw in some extra good will.
      07-31-2012, 04:06 PM   #40
Longboarder
Brigadier General

Drives: 2013 e92 M3

Garage List
2013 e92 M3  [5.00]
2011 997.2 Turbo S  [4.75]
2013 WRX STi  [4.00]
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
Sorry to the OP and others where the dealer damages their car. I've heard too many stories like this and so although service is free at the dealer, they will not see my car for any service. Malek @ MFR Eng takes care of cars like it's his. Yes this will cost $ but the piece of mind (and convenience) is more than worth it.
      07-31-2012, 04:08 PM   #41
KIS
Lieutenant

Drives: 2014 C63 Coupe

Clearly two camps on this thread. Those that suggest a reasoned proportional response with the dealer, and then moving on. The other camp is suggesting a nuclear reaction, grabbing your beast in one hand and a Glock in the other and then going postal. I wonder if these two camps break down by age? I ask because when I was younger I was definitely in the latter camp, but with age and experience I have moved into the former camp, thankfully.

Last edited by KIS; 07-31-2012 at 04:22 PM.
KIS is offline   United_States
      07-31-2012, 04:40 PM   #42
IFX
Banned

Drives: AW e46M/N54

You have two small nicks man, a new rim is not necessary.

A good rim repair shop will make it look new, I promise.
      07-31-2012, 04:55 PM   #43
kwike92
Major

Drives: 2009 m3 coupe | 2011 STi

Bro, it isn't a perfect world. Just because we drive bmws doesn't mean everything get handed to us on a silver platter. This time unfortunately you got the shorter end of the stick... I understand your upset as would anyone else.. Just take it to the dealer and have them sort it out.. You'll be fine. No need to be furious.... Shit happens
      07-31-2012, 06:44 PM   #44
CrusherM3
Private First Class

Drives: 2012 M3 E92 Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
"Very furious"?? Over a pretty small rim scratch? You must have a pretty charmed life if that's enough to trigger a "very furious" reaction.

And why on earth wouldn't a new rim be enough for you?? It's not as if a scratched rim has compromised some other part of the car or caused you some huge inconvenience or hardship.

Chill out and accept that these things are bound to happen. Yes, it's unfortunate that it happened to you so soon, but consider it conditioning for your first ding/scratch experience. Then just get in the car, drive it like it's supposed to be driven, and soon enough you'll forget all about it -- especially since it's on the passenger's side where you're less likely to see it all the time. I have a minor ding on my right rear quarter panel and my wife scraped part of my passenger door edge when she opened the door and let it hit a concrete wall. They both sucked for a couple days after they happened, and now I never even think about them.

Bottom line: It's just a car, and a cosmetic blemish won't get in the way of the real way it's supposed to make you happy. If you MUST bring it up with the dealer, be calm and reasonable. That will likely go much farther and deliver much more of a long-term benefit than being a tool.
The difference is that the damage that happened to your car was caused by you (or your wife in this case).

The OP took in a car with no damage and got a damaged car back. Also, the dealer or his representative hid the fact that they caused the damage.

I would be "Very Furious " also. If the dealer had told me about the damage and offered to repair I would OK with that. Still mad, but OK with it.