BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

rolloface

07-14-2007, 11:39 AM   #1
human
Private First Class

Drives: honda civic ex

M3 Steering: Can it be tweaked / rescued by BMW?

Some of the initial reviews hammer the steering (not enough feedback, etc.), which is unfortunate because BMW has been known over the years for great steering! Is it too late for BMW to fix / upgrade any steering issues for the initial production run? How long would it typically take to address such a problem?

I do happen to like that there is a setting that lightens the steering, at least when you want it to be light. In my previous 330, around town (I live in a city and I drive a lot), the heavy, somewhat long steering (for a sports sedan) became very cumbersome after a while. I didn't have active steering and I suspect that this would have made life easier.

One final question- does anyone know how many turns lock-to-lock for the new M3?
      07-14-2007, 12:03 PM   #2
lucid
Major General

Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by human View Post
Some of the initial reviews hammer the steering (not enough feedback, etc.), which is unfortunate because BMW has been known over the years for great steering! Is it too late for BMW to fix / upgrade any steering issues for the initial production run? How long would it typically take to address such a problem?

I do happen to like that there is a setting that lightens the steering, at least when you want it to be light. In my previous 330, around town (I live in a city and I drive a lot), the heavy, somewhat long steering (for a sports sedan) became very cumbersome after a while. I didn't have active steering and I suspect that this would have made life easier.

One final question- does anyone know how many turns lock-to-lock for the new M3?
There was a short discussion on this a while back. Some people thought it was too late. I think it is never too late for a car manufacturer to do small tweaks on the soft variables such as the level of steering assist and so on. That said, we don't know if BMW thinks there is a problem or not, and they are unlikely to respond unless they are convinced there is a major problem. The real problem is that we actually don't really know yet if there is a problem with the steering as we have seen mixed reviews.

Moreover, if there is a major issue with steering under aggressive driving, it is plausible that it will take more than a minor adjustment to tailor it to your preference--meaning you might need to modify some of the mechanics behind it.

Last edited by lucid; 07-14-2007 at 12:52 PM.
lucid is offline   United_States
      07-14-2007, 02:18 PM   #3
///MML
Private First Class

Drives: e92 M3

I do vaguely remember something about 3-4 years ago when the e46 330i steering was tweaked after complaints it was too soft. Anyone remember that?

As seen in some pics BMW has already made hundreds of M3's so those are done. If these complaints continue I'm sure BMW will look into it. If your in the US it might be changed by spring 2008 deliveries but if you getting delivery (europe) in a couple months your stuck with what it is....
///MML is offline   United_States
      07-14-2007, 03:55 PM   #4
The CSL
For the love of ///M3

Drives: Peugeot 306 XSI 16v

The coupe M3 was seen racing through the Nordschleife this week by a friend, still in light camo.
      07-14-2007, 05:06 PM   #5
JEllis
Brigadier General

Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

The E46 M3 also suffered from "light feeling" steering. This is nothing new....

Jason