BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
Evolve Automotive
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-10-2012, 09:51 PM   #1
Bubajay
Private First Class
3
Rep
163
Posts

 
Drives: Fiji Blue Honda Civic Si
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SoCal in spirit/OK for days

iTrader: (0)

M3 vs. TTRS

I know they aren't in the same segment, but let us see what y'all think.

GO!

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ad-test-review
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 11:57 PM   #2
positiveions
Lieutenant General
positiveions's Avatar
Lebanon
114
Rep
10,529
Posts

 
Drives: 09 MKV JETTA 2.5 & E90 M3 :)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Verne, CA

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via MSN to positiveions Send a message via Yahoo to positiveions
Tough, I was hoping the article would compare TTRS to an M3; they focused on the 911TT vs TTRS.
Needless to say, TTRS is a capable machine. With the right tuning, and lower ride, this thing will be truly pocket rocket.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 12:09 AM   #3
Bubajay
Private First Class
3
Rep
163
Posts

 
Drives: Fiji Blue Honda Civic Si
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SoCal in spirit/OK for days

iTrader: (0)

Ohhhhpppp....saw this is already being discussed about 10 threads down. Mah bad...
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 05:25 AM   #4
LarThaL
Colonel
LarThaL's Avatar
64
Rep
2,631
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West Springfield, MA

iTrader: (0)

The M3 loses to the TTRS in 3 areas:

1. Traction
2. Stock exhaust sound
3. 0-60 acceleration (due to traction)

In all other areas, the M3 is the superior car. There is going to be an inevitable trade-off, no matter what you do, between the steering responsiveness advantage of RWD vs. the traction advanatage of AWD. This is especially true in a front-engine vehicle. The dynamics are obviously different in a mid or rear engine vehicle. To be honest, I am really torn when it comes to this. My previous car was an RS4. While the M3 is clearly sharper and more precise in all its moves, the RS4 has such good grip that you could just slam it, even with all the traction stuff off, and the car would just hold its line. In the end, I am really not sure which is the better. The M3 is more agile and more entertaining. The RS4 has a greater safety margin when driven hard. It will be the same for the TTRS.
__________________
Precision tool: 2011 BMW ///M3
Sledgehammer: 2014 Audi S6

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 06:54 AM   #5
SROC5
Addicted to Track
SROC5's Avatar
United_States
29
Rep
1,646
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USCON

iTrader: (3)

I was recently at a track day with a TTRS @ NJMP, and it was quite fast.
__________________

| Akrapovic Evo | ESSi | Swift Spec-R | CF Spoiler | APEX ARC-8 | RS-3 | PFC-08 | DIF |
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 09:42 AM   #6
BMoney
Second Lieutenant
BMoney's Avatar
4
Rep
255
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 Mercedes CLA45 AMG
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Fairfax, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubajay View Post
I know they aren't in the same segment, but let us see what y'all think.

GO!

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ad-test-review
That test is a DSG car which isn't available in the US. It's a bummer because I want one! The manual doesn't do quite as well.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...trumented-test
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 04:23 PM   #7
attila
Lieutenant
attila's Avatar
17
Rep
559
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 GT3RS, 2010 MX-5, 2009 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Omaha, NE

iTrader: (0)

I have encountered a APR tuned TT-RS on track. Very fast. The driver said he had the APR stage 1 ECU tuning and some exhaust for about $4K. For me the backseats are the limitation. I could however put my younger one in the back of the new (991) C2S!!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 12:18 AM   #8
kotik
Captain
kotik's Avatar
19
Rep
624
Posts

 
Drives: F80 aw 6spd
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Monterey, CA

iTrader: (0)

When I was coming from the ring, one TTRS got on my tail on the ABahn, and I couldn't shake it off until 160mph. Not sure on the mods...
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 08:53 AM   #9
attila
Lieutenant
attila's Avatar
17
Rep
559
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 GT3RS, 2010 MX-5, 2009 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Omaha, NE

iTrader: (0)

The TT-RS is like a mini GT-R, with better interior. Especially with the EU DSG gearbox. The one I've seen at the track was US spec (of course) had some - I was told - APR tuning and was on Hoosier R6 255 at all corners. There was no M3 at the time if i recall correctly but it was clearly faster than the Boss 302 also on r-comp tires. (you have to give or take for the driver on a DE event a lot though)
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #10
Transfer
Lieutenant Colonel
Transfer's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
1,689
Posts

 
Drives: SQ5, X1
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

I was very interested in this car until I learned it is Haldex AWD which means it drives more like a FWD than a RWD, unlike the S4, RS4.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 09:44 AM   #11
Brosef
Colonel
Brosef's Avatar
United_States
31
Rep
2,261
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
The M3 loses to the TTRS in 3 areas:

1. Traction
2. Stock exhaust sound
3. 0-60 acceleration (due to traction)

In all other areas, the M3 is the superior car. There is going to be an inevitable trade-off, no matter what you do, between the steering responsiveness advantage of RWD vs. the traction advanatage of AWD. This is especially true in a front-engine vehicle. The dynamics are obviously different in a mid or rear engine vehicle. To be honest, I am really torn when it comes to this. My previous car was an RS4. While the M3 is clearly sharper and more precise in all its moves, the RS4 has such good grip that you could just slam it, even with all the traction stuff off, and the car would just hold its line. In the end, I am really not sure which is the better. The M3 is more agile and more entertaining. The RS4 has a greater safety margin when driven hard. It will be the same for the TTRS.
this is a joke, right?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 06:06 PM   #12
LarThaL
Colonel
LarThaL's Avatar
64
Rep
2,631
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West Springfield, MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
this is a joke, right?
Only going by what I have heard in videos. Stock exhaust sound on the TTRS is quite nice. Better IMO than the stock exhaust sound on an M3.

This is not ENGINE sound. The sound that the M3 motor makes is simply magnificent and blows most anything other than a Ferrari away.
__________________
Precision tool: 2011 BMW ///M3
Sledgehammer: 2014 Audi S6

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #13
Richbot
Colonel
30
Rep
2,118
Posts

 
Drives: Jerez Black E90
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: STL

iTrader: (2)

The 5-cylinder sounds freakin' awesome, but the M3 definitely sounds better. 6-speed (only trans available in the US) is a severe handicap on this car, edmunds.com recently tested one and couldn't get it out of the 13's.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #14
M3PO
Colonel
M3PO's Avatar
34
Rep
2,777
Posts

 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
Only going by what I have heard in videos. Stock exhaust sound on the TTRS is quite nice. Better IMO than the stock exhaust sound on an M3.

This is not ENGINE sound. The sound that the M3 motor makes is simply magnificent and blows most anything other than a Ferrari away.
I'm gonna have to disagree about #2 also. The V8 sound is superior, by far.
__________________
2008 IB E92 M3| BBS | KW | Arkym | Platte Forme A.G. | Active Autowerke | K&N | Fabspeed | Dinan | Evolve-R
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:34 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST