BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

GT Haus

07-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
Im4citadel
Der Stalag EUA

Drives: 2013 Carbon Black 550I Xdrive

M3 may be gone....

Guys:

Some bad news.

I got into an accident this past weekend and the airbags deployed in the vehicle.

Doe this mean that the car is totaled?
      07-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
eisenb11
Major

Drives: 2012 E92 M3 SSII

Not necessarily, post some pics.
eisenb11 is offline   United_States
      07-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
SDPRT
Lieutenant

Drives: 08 M3 Space Gray/MT

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 e92  [0.00]
Awe man that sucks. Glad you're Ok. As for the car current value vs cost to repair. Need more details or yet call your agent.
      07-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #4
Legion5
Major

Drives: e92

Probably not

Clean cars are happy cars!
CANON PHOTOGRAPHER
      07-16-2012, 12:39 PM   #5
sello
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 BMW M3

def not totaled just for bags
      07-16-2012, 12:45 PM   #6
C|3R1C
So Kewl Guy

Drives: 2010 E93 M3 DCT

Depends why they deployed. Simple fender bender? Nah. For a huge head on collision, with serious frame deformation and half the car falling off? Most likely. But like mentioned above, current car value - repair costs. Only totalled if the result is negative. However, you will probably have an accident on the carfax now.
      07-16-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
m3an
Banned

Drives: M3

I don't know about VA state laws but it's most likely 75% of vehicle value. Your questions are very vague; what year car, miles? damages? I am an Automobile appraiser and could prob give you an idea based on pics; hope you're ok!
      07-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #8
smmmurf
Colonel

Drives: 2009 M3 Sedan 6MT

$30,000 of damage or more will likely be a total. lots of expensive components that can be salvaged from these cars
      07-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #9
swartzentruber
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by C|3R1C View Post
Depends why they deployed. Simple fender bender? Nah. For a huge head on collision, with serious frame deformation and half the car falling off? Most likely. But like mentioned above, current car value - repair costs. Only totalled if the result is negative. However, you will probably have an accident on the carfax now.
If insurers followed this rule exactly, they'd probably be out of business, as the repair shops would just all underestimate the repairs by a little bit to get the business. What I've seen is typically repairs >=75% of value, or >=51% if there's frame damage, gets totalled. Keep in mind the insurer keeps the salvage value of the car if they total it, so the break-even point for this equation is well above zero.

Additionally, air bags don't go off for minor fender benders (unless they go off in error). There was a recent thread about someone hitting a tree at a fairly good speed, and the airbags didn't deploy because it was on the side and not head on. Bottom line, an airbag deploying accident doesn't guarantee a total, but it means it's well on its way.
      07-16-2012, 01:28 PM   #10
C|3R1C
So Kewl Guy

Drives: 2010 E93 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzentruber View Post
If insurers followed this rule exactly, they'd probably be out of business, as the repair shops would just all underestimate the repairs by a little bit to get the business. What I've seen is typically repairs >=75% of value, or >=51% if there's frame damage, gets totalled. Keep in mind the insurer keeps the salvage value of the car if they total it, so the break-even point for this equation is well above zero.

Additionally, air bags don't go off for minor fender benders (unless they go off in error). There was a recent thread about someone hitting a tree at a fairly good speed, and the airbags didn't deploy because it was on the side and not head on. Bottom line, an airbag deploying accident doesn't guarantee a total, but it means it's well on its way.
Thank you for adding more knowledge to my statement and clearing it up!

To the OP: What he said lol.
      07-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #11
m3an
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzentruber View Post

you're right but "frame damage" is and old misconception. True there are still frame rails but the car is a unibody and they follow the 75% guidelines regardless. The insured always has the right to retain the salvage; however, teh paymen would then be ACV (actual cash value) less salvage less deductible= payment. No one really does this cause then they have a wrecked car w/ a salvaged title.

OP show us some pics
      07-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #12
Im4citadel
Der Stalag EUA

Drives: 2013 Carbon Black 550I Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenb11 View Post
Not necessarily, post some pics.
Please help....
Attached Images

07-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #13
IFX
Banned

Drives: AW e46M/N54

Not totaled. Nose will be painted.
      07-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #14
lorinzo
Captain

Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Bummer.

Good luck with rep
| 2011 M3 Sedan | Le Mans Blue | M-DCT | ZC2 | ZCP | ZP3 | Moonroof | Enhanced Premium Sound | Dinan free flow exhaust | Dinan performance engine software | Dinan pulley | Dinan intake | Dinan pedals | Bimmian LED interior | Lux H8 V3 | WeissLicht PY24W LED | 20% tint | IND reflectors | IND front grills | IND key hole cover | IND hood vents | IND M5 mirror covers | Reus Systems audio upgrade | Verstraβe shifter paddles | BBS LM 20x9 et 15 and 20x10 et 20 | Michelin PSS 245/30/20 and 275/30/20 | H&R Sport springs |
lorinzo is offline   United_States
      07-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #15
lorinzo
Captain

Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Bummer.

Good luck with repairs.
| 2011 M3 Sedan | Le Mans Blue | M-DCT | ZC2 | ZCP | ZP3 | Moonroof | Enhanced Premium Sound | Dinan free flow exhaust | Dinan performance engine software | Dinan pulley | Dinan intake | Dinan pedals | Bimmian LED interior | Lux H8 V3 | WeissLicht PY24W LED | 20% tint | IND reflectors | IND front grills | IND key hole cover | IND hood vents | IND M5 mirror covers | Reus Systems audio upgrade | Verstraβe shifter paddles | BBS LM 20x9 et 15 and 20x10 et 20 | Michelin PSS 245/30/20 and 275/30/20 | H&R Sport springs |
lorinzo is offline   United_States
      07-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #16
Ilia@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: F10 M5

That looks bad but does not have to be totalled. The E9x cars have a bolt on radiator support that is simply replaced without any straightening and welding. The fender support rail looks relatively straight also.

It's tough to tell the true extent of the damage without taking the car apart but I can tell you that we have repaired quite a few E9x M3s with very similar looking damage with excellent results. The cars had no long term negative effects to their structure of function.

I'd say keep your fingers crossed while the shop takes the car apart, and hope nothing serious is found below the relatively minor damage shown in the photos. With any luck it should look worse than it is.
      07-18-2012, 03:37 PM   #17
eisenb11
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im4citadel View Post
Please help....
Doesn't look totaled. I think they'll try to repair it.
      07-18-2012, 03:52 PM   #18
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General

Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)

Garage List
I don't know what the rules are in the USA, in Canada it is highly recommended to check with the dealership as to who they use for body work. In Canada the Body shop is certifyed by BMW. This basicley means that members of this establishment are trained by BMW (certificates from BMW and others like Mercedes, Volvo, Jaguar etc. hang on the wall with employees name certifying them to do work on those cars).

Now this does by no means mean that a body shop in the USA would be less qualifyed to do this work.

The insurance company (in my case at least) asks where the repair will take place. Once I mention the shop name (the one recommended by BMW) then the Insurance agent assures me that the work will be guaranteed as long as I have the car. Whatever that means.

Bottom line, I would think that if technicians working in the body shop are certified by the car manufacturer then they would know if a car can be repaired or not and certainley would recommend the car to be totalled if it is not reparable.

My naighbour drives (or did drive) a Honda and the car was damaged very severely, repair was simpley not possible (all airbags deployed) the car was damaged all around since it was hit by a truck and trailer that went thru a stop sign. The Honda span around and hit the trailer on the other side as well. So total all around damage. The car BTW went to the same body shop BMW work is done and was declared "totalled"

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Mr. ///M3 RD is offline   Canada
      07-18-2012, 08:04 PM   #19
eisenb11
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3RD View Post
...insurance stuff...
Generally, the insurance companies have a list of repair shops that they like to work with. If you take it to one of these shops, you don't have to worry about much paperwork and the repair costs are easily settles with your insurer. The shop may or may not be certified with BMW.

Most companies also allow you to take your car wherever you want. However, they want you to take your car to one of the pre-approved shops first to get an estimate. They'll pay the estimate, so if the shop of your choice costs more, you have to pay the difference.

Fortunately, my insurance company's preferred body shop also happens to be BMW certified and the one that the local BMW dealer outsources all of their major repairs to.
      07-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #20
m3an
Banned

Quote:
Generally, the insurance companies have a list of repair shops that they like to work with. If you take it to one of these shops, you don't have to worry about much paperwork and the repair costs are easily settles with your insurer. The shop may or may not be certified with BMW.

Most companies also allow you to take your car wherever you want. However, they want you to take your car to one of the pre-approved shops first to get an estimate. They'll pay the estimate, so if the shop of your choice costs more, you have to pay the difference.

Fortunately, my insurance company's preferred body shop also happens to be BMW certified and the one that the local BMW dealer outsources all of their major repairs to.

YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO HAVE YOUR CAR REPAIRED WHEREVER YOU DESIRE!!!! DON'T LET THE INS. COMPANY TELL YOU WHERE TO GO; IT'S ILLEGAL AND THEY WILL USE TACTICS TO MAKE YOU THINK OTHERWISE!!
      07-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #21
eisenb11
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontid View Post
YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO HAVE YOUR CAR REPAIRED WHEREVER YOU DESIRE!!!! DON'T LET THE INS. COMPANY TELL YOU WHERE TO GO; IT'S ILLEGAL AND THEY WILL USE TACTICS TO MAKE YOU THINK OTHERWISE!!
You didn't read my post I take it?

You're allowed to take it wherever you want... they'll just pay whatever estimate their certified place gives first usually (which may be a lot lower than the place of your choosing).
      07-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #22
m3an
Banned

Quote:

yes I read it; that's wrong, when more damages are discovered a supplemental payment is issued to the shop for repairs.

Just b/c a shop is certified doesn't mean it's a great shop; especially when related to an Insurance company

(prior employee of certified BMW shop and licensed collision expert/auto appraiser)