BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

OneEighty

06-15-2013, 10:37 PM   #1
Sharkdriver
Boosted
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 BMW M3

AA Supercharger Methanol Injection Help

Well, it's taking me a very long time but I have finally finished the install of my Stage II Active Autowerke Supercharger!!! Finished just in time before my garage really started getting hot with the Houston summer heat coming on.

One problem though. I put the methanol injection pump through the test sequence with the prescribed 3 psi applied and couldn't get fluid to the front of the car. Tried it with it at atmospheric as well and no dice either.

I'm getting no errors from the Meth Injection controller and of course the tank is full of Methanol.

Took a quick 5 minute drive around the neighborhood with the rear seats down to see if I could hear the pump kick on.

Didn't get on it very much but I didn't hear the pump kick on......could have been because I couldn't hear it over the blowoff valves and me giggling like a schoolgirl.

Anybody with experience with an AA methanol injection system that could help?

Is the pump loud enough to hear kicking on with the rear seats down?
      06-15-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
VCMpower
Banned
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2010 Dakar, 2013 Fire Orange

Where did you install the green led? Was it lighting up? Pressure to activate the flow should be closer to 5 psi. Do you have gen 1 level 2 kit?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 10:56 PM   #3
THE-FN-MAN
Captain
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 x2

Is it basically an aem kit? I have two of em installed on desperate cars and one time it didn't flow because I had a wire reversed
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
VCMpower
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-FN-MAN
Is it basically an aem kit? I have two of em installed on desperate cars and one time it didn't flow because I had a wire reversed
Yes AEM with AA modified controller. Hobbs switch
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 11:09 PM   #5
Sharkdriver
Boosted
United_States
Rep

Yes, AA Modified AEM controller.

I installed the LED installed into my ashtray as I had already installed my radar detector controller there as well. There were no error codes displayed at all.

Does it light when the pump is actuated?

Thanks for the help
      06-15-2013, 11:19 PM   #6
VCMpower
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkdriver
Yes, AA Modified AEM controller.

I installed the LED installed into my ashtray as I had already installed my radar detector controller there as well. There were no error codes displayed at all.

Does it light when the pump is actuated?

Thanks for the help
Brightness intensifies as boost rises
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 11:34 PM   #7
VCP
Captain
Canada
Rep

Drives: F82 Sakhir / E92 Dakar

Check the fuse at the pump also check Hobbs switch wiring and the switch it's self as the controller will not draw a code for this is it has failed
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 11:41 PM   #8
Sharkdriver
Boosted
United_States
Rep

Ok, sounds good. Kids are asleep so will pull it out in the morning to check the LED intensity as I drive.

I know the fuse is good as I checked that so I will also check the wiring at the Hobbs Switch and the switch itself. Thanks guys.
      06-16-2013, 12:00 AM   #9
VCMpower
Banned
Canada
Rep

I've installed mine center covering front of steering wheel. Always in peripheral if need.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #10
MilehighM3
Colonel
Rep

Drives: E90 M3

Jump the 2 posts on the Hobbs switch together. That makes it activate and the pump runs. If it doesn't recheck your wiring. It's a lot easier than trying to apply pressure of 3-5 psi. You can do it with the engine off so you can hear the pump run.
Some times the pump needs priming with the check valve disconnected in the trunk initially. Take a spare section of hose and connect it to the pump directly, without the check valve they tend to prime easier/faster. Place the line into a jug or container of some sort. Once that's good to go, connect the normal line with it disconnected from the nozzle and prime the entire line. After you get meth out there, you're good to go.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 02:14 PM   #11
VCMpower
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw135er
Jump the 2 posts on the Hobbs switch together. That makes it activate and the pump runs. If it doesn't recheck your wiring. It's a lot easier than trying to apply pressure of 3-5 psi. You can do it with the engine off so you can hear the pump run.
Some times the pump needs priming with the check valve disconnected in the trunk initially. Take a spare section of hose and connect it to the pump directly, without the check valve they tend to prime easier/faster. Place the line into a jug or container of some sort. Once that's good to go, connect the normal line with it disconnected from the nozzle and prime the entire line. After you get meth out there, you're good to go.
Good call. I like using the mighty vac hand pump as there are settings on the controller. "Start psi" and "max psi" can be adjusted independently. It is good to verify both start and max points.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 03:00 PM   #12
MilehighM3
Colonel
Rep

Drives: E90 M3

That's helpful if you have one which I do, but not everyone does. Jumping the terminals is an easy function test that anyone can do. Hopefully the OP gets it primed and is ready to rock and roll!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 03:16 PM   #13
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Drives: M3

Is meth setup for cooling or as fuel In the aa kit ? What I mean is driving the car hard without meth flowing may lead to serious issues.
Vf supercharger + tune/H&R coils/ Akra evolution exhaust/Volk te37/ Rs-3 tires/ Brembos /TIal BOV/ OSS blacked out headlights/LUX v3/Led taillights/ Challenge Front lip/ P3 vent gauge/ F10 m5 shift mob/Matte black front grills/ And a funky air fresher
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #14
VCMpower
Banned
Canada
Rep

Requires 94 octane minimum on the Gen 1 lev 2 kit so water/meth is needed if 94 octane fuel is not available. Gen 2 lev 3 is for cooling and consistency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriskm3 View Post
Is meth setup for cooling or as fuel In the aa kit ? What I mean is driving the car hard without meth flowing may lead to serious issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 04:50 PM   #15
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCMpower View Post
Requires 94 octane minimum on the Gen 1 lev 2 kit so water/meth is needed if 94 octane fuel is not available. Gen 2 lev 3 is for cooling and consistency.
Fuel consistency ?
Vf supercharger + tune/H&R coils/ Akra evolution exhaust/Volk te37/ Rs-3 tires/ Brembos /TIal BOV/ OSS blacked out headlights/LUX v3/Led taillights/ Challenge Front lip/ P3 vent gauge/ F10 m5 shift mob/Matte black front grills/ And a funky air fresher
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #16
Sharkdriver
Boosted
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the help here.

So, went out and checked the switch and then jumpered the hobbs switch as well (thanks for that tip BMW135er). No luck in actuating the pump there.

Went to the rear and grounded out the pump which made it kick in and got good methanol to the front of the car so definitely primed up now.

Looks like it is a wiring issue at this point.

One quick question. At the pump I basically have the ground from the pump connected to the orange wire from the front and then the positive red wire to the battery.

The last two wires back there I understand to be the level sensor wires and which of the 2 wires they are connected to from the front doesn't matter? I disconnected one and it showed me low level error on the LED. Just wanted to be sure these last 2 wires don't matter and that is not what is causing my wiring problems. With them connected up I show no errors.
      06-16-2013, 05:21 PM   #17
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2014 435I M-sport

Quote:
Fuel consistency ?
Fuel consistency is always good regardless of setup.

Op, If you still need help give our tech department a call 305-233-9300.
      06-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #18
VCMpower
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke
Quote:
Fuel consistency ?
Fuel consistency is always good regardless of setup.

Op, If you still need help give our tech department a call 305-233-9300.
This.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #19
VCMpower
Banned
Canada
Rep

Consistency of IAT's.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #20
Sharkdriver
Boosted
United_States
Rep

Thanks Andrew

I may have to call in. I was hoping to get this done this weekend and needlessly waste some of the good rubber I have on my rear tires but I think I will need to call in tomorrow.

What I do know is that I have continuity front to back in the orange line as well as it seems that the hobbs switch as well as the relay are testing out ok. So I am a bit stumped at the moment.

Thanks everyone for your help.
      06-16-2013, 08:17 PM   #21
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCMpower View Post
Consistency of IAT's.
This is te Answer I was looking for. Right on I'm setting up meth in near future and just wanted to confirm that this is how it's done
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 12:53 AM   #22
SYZ
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: :O

Garage List
I'm interested in setting up my VF kit with methanol for the same reasons AA uses it on their kits. Can you guys set me up with the same system you use and provide support on it? I take it no special ECU tuning would be necessary since its only for IATs and consistency, correct?
Appreciate 0