BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 Marketplace > SPONSORS Classifieds/Groupbuys/Specials Area > Engine | Drivetrain | Exhaust

PYSPEED
Closed Thread

03-23-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
Pauldramos

Drives: Dinan '11 M3

Dinan Install on my ’11 e92 M3 DCT, ZCP

Dinan Install on my ’11 e92 M3 DCT, ZCP (16 points)

The following is my personal quest for PERFORMANCE:
I have had this M3 for a year now. I decided that now was the time to start doing a few modifications to the car. I began researching many different routes to go and I had three requirements:
1. Do not increase current pollution output.
2. A warranty.
3. High quality products.

I could easily find two of my three requirements but I only found one company that fit all three. Dinan, was the clear choice for me. I will add that it was an easy fit since BMW of Santa Maria is a Dinan Certified Shop and I do media/advertising consulting for them.

Warranty: (this is a direct quote from Dinan website)
“If your vehicle is currently covered by the vehicle manufacturer's new car limited warranty, Dinan products are warranted for the remaining term of the vehicle manufacturer's new car limited warranty. The manufacturer's new car warranty is limited to 4 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 kilometers in Canada), commencing on the date of first retail sale or the date the vehicle is first placed in-service as a demonstrator or company vehicle, whichever is earlier. Dinan's warranties are transferable when ownership of the vehicle into which the Dinan products were originally installed is sold.”

Quality/Philosophy: (again, a direct quote from Dinan website)
“To engineer the best handling, best performing cars on the market without sacrificing ride quality or reliability.”

Environment:
This is probably where I am the least flexible. I know that the M3 is not the greenest car on the road but I am personally not comfortable with removing the CATS just for performance on a car that will honestly never see a track, it's simply just a DD. Now, if you are tracking your car then you could justify a different view.

Down to business. What to order?
Speaking with a Service Advisor and a Dinan certified technician at BMW of Santa Maria and reading quite a few blogs, I was set. I ordered the following:

Part------------------------------------------Part#--------HP/TQ-----Labor Hours---Points
Underdrive Pulley Kit (6/08-2011 Only)----D560-0004----11/7-------2.4--------------1
Performance Engine Software --------------D900-40M-----9/8--------0.5--------------2
High Flow Carbon Fiber Intake--------------D760-0028----8/5---------1.0-------------3
Free Flow Exhaust (E92/3) M3 Coupe-------D660-0027----6/5---------1.6-------------3
Stage 3 Suspension System (EDC only)----D190-9033----n/a---------12.4------------5
Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces-----D180-0011----n/a---------0.5-------------2

I ordered all but the Stage 3 suspension on Feb-14 and they arrived at 9am on Feb-15. The install began at 10am on the 15th. (I ordered the s3 suspension on Feb-22 and it arrived Feb-27)

I pull into the service area at BMW of Santa Maria and they took my car into the shop.

I walked over to look inside of “Wichita”. Yep, that is the name of my Car. ☺

First Part to install was the High Flow Carbon Fiber Intake. It’s quite a beautiful piece.

From the Dinan website: “Dinan has developed the M3 Intake System to improve air-flow utilizing the stock ram-air ducting to maximize intake air-flow. The system replaces the restrictive, dull plastic intake tube with the look of a high performance race part made entirely of aircraft quality prepreg carbon fiber. Our free flowing carbon fiber tube has over a 30% larger cross-sectional area to increase air-flow. Additionally, inside the air box we’ve replaced the restrictive stock plastic air filter tube with Dinan's plastic free flowing air filter tube that is designed for direct fitment into the stock air box. Our plastic tube increases flow by more than 30% over stock. Also included in the kit is Dinan’s free flowing cotton gauze type air filter that is matched to fit our larger air tube along with rubber connecting hoses and clamps. The High Flow Intake produces a maximum gain of 8 horsepower and 5 lb-ft torque @ 8200 rpm.”

Next up… Underdrive Pulley Kit (6/08-2011 Only). Sadly, It is not easy to take a picture of that.

From the Dinan website: “Dinan's lightweight crankshaft pulley is constructed of Aircraft grade billet 6061 aluminum that is anodized black and engraved. It does not modify factory harmonics or dampening and safely underdrives the belt driven water pump, alternator, AC and power steering to reduce parasitic power loss on the M3 engine. It produces a peak gain of + 11 horsepower @ 8400 rpm and + 7 lb-ft torque @ 8400 rpm on a stock car. The kit includes lightweight pulley and shorter belts for bolt on installation.”

Next up… Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces.

Before

After

From the Dinan website: “The Dinan carbon fiber strut tower braces are built from aerospace quality aluminum and carbon fiber. The amazingly strong carbon fiber rods are held in place with black powdercoated forged aluminum ends connecting to the stock mounts. Replacing the bare aluminum tube with this beautiful piece will improve chassis rigidity while also cleaning up the look of the engine by framing it in carbon fiber. The beautiful carbon fiber braces may be installed in conjunction with any of the Dinan suspension systems or the stock components and features carbon fiber that matches the high flow carbon fiber intake in color and weave.”

Now it’s time for the exhaust install. I love the ceramic-plated tips.

From the CATS back. I won’t drive a DD any other way.

From the Dinan website: “If you've been searching for a truly high performance rear muffler for your M3 look no further. Dinan's unique muffler design effectively reduces back-pressure for improved flow, resulting in measurable power gains. Manufactured from 304 stainless steel inside and out for superior resistance to corrosion as well as a significant reduction of weight. And from those 3" inch aggressive looking ceramic-coated tips flows an exhaust note that will be music to the driving enthusiast.”

Now the Dinan Software… This is final touch tying it all this together.

From the Dinan website: “Dinan E9x M3 Engine Software raises the factory rev-limit from 8400 to 8600 RPM*, endowing the V8 with a broader power band and greater road speed potential in each gear. The software also removes the top speed governor, enabling the cars to attain their ''natural'' top speed; and the V8 will pull right to red-line in top gear! Changes to the throttle mapping help soften throttle tip-in for a sportier feel and improved modulation capabilities. The combination of Dinan's re-calibration of ignition timing, fuel delivery, and cam timing produce a maximum gain of 9 hp @ 6000 rpm and 8 lb-ft @ 6000 RPM. Peak horsepower is increased from 414 to 421 at 7900 RPM. Rev-limit raised from 8400 to 8600 rpm in manual mode only for cars equipped the M Double Clutch Transmission. The rev-limit is unchanged for the M-DCT in automatic mode.”

Next install (a few days later). Dinan Stage 3 Suspension.
I have read several blogs with people asking why put Dinan S3 on a ZCP, well “The drop is about 1/8”. The primary reason for the suspension is higher spring rates for even less body roll and improved balance, resulting in reduced under steer. You will find that the car also has greater suspension travel than in stock form, resulting in better dampening for improved ride quality and better handling in the real world, where the pavement is almost never smooth! The reduction in under steer will make the car corner as if it were on rails…..” --Dinan.

The box of my Stage 3 Suspension parts

Install pics.

The rear right spring.

Sway bar

Alignment time.

You can see the negative camber in this pic.

From the Dinan website: “Dinan's Stage 3 Suspension System provides greater control over body roll by virtue of carefully calibrated spring rates designed to work in conjunction with the original-equipment standard or EDC shocks and struts. Dinan lowers the M3 by 1/2"" front and rear for improved suspension geometry and an even more aggressive stance. Matching bump stops and replacement front guide supports are included that actually increase suspension travel by 0.6"" for improved handling capabilities along with surprisingly civilized ride quality. The higher spring rates, increased suspension travel and improved suspension geometry give the M3 even more grip for faster and more predictable cornering capabilities. All of the EDC system features are maintained for cars equipped with the option. To further reduce body roll and increase turn-in, the Stage 3 suspension system includes a 28.5mm front swaybar with urethane bushing and front camber plates.”

Ok, now my review on the differences that I have noticed. Upon firing the car up and sitting inside I noticed that the cabin noise, at idle, was quieter than stock. I like that. As I pulled out of the dealership the car was in the most comfort setting it has, this is how I drive while just cruising around town and especially when the car is cold. I noticed the shifting seemed to be at different rpm’s than before and it seemed to have more torque as I drove.

I now entered the freeway and dropped it into cruise control to watch the change in the mileage. I actually set the odometer from the Gas station. I averaged 23.7 from Gas Station home and I would usually only avg about 21.9 on that drive. Therefore, I can deduce that the new products most likely improved the gas mileage.

After I checked the mpg, I then decided to switch to M-Mode and feel what power improvements there was. I do not have any hard actual timings but I will say that I ABSOLUTELY felt a change. The acceleration and gear changes felt much more aggressive and smoother in DCT. When I was in manual and could have complete control I really felt this beast come to life… The sound and the power put a smile on my face.

The final hp/tq numbers are 448/325. Definitely an increase.

Stage 3 Suspension.
I will start by saying that I was a bit nervous about this install. I was not convinced that the handling could really get much better than it already was. Well, I have to admit that even just driving out of the install bay the car felt more responsive. The steering wheel felt tighter. The car seemed to turn as if it were on “rails”.

I am now out on the road and I am playing with the wheel, cranking it left to right and feeling the cars lateral move was smooth and very even. I felt no body roll. I started onto one of our twisty roads here and really felt the traction; springs & sway bar come to life. It was exhilarating and very rewarding to feel the difference in the drive.

Conclusion:
I am thoroughly impressed by the metamorphosis my M3 has gone through. The slightly lower stance, the more responsive throttle, more aggressive, shifting, higher redline, removal of the speed governor and the sound.

Thanks for reading. Enjoy your ride!

Pauldramos is offline   United_States
      03-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Lotta money spent. Looks good.
      03-23-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
Pauldramos

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH
I thinks it's pretty affordable.
Thanks, I agree I love the look.
      03-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man

Drives: 2011.5 Dinan ///M3

Good choice on the mods. With the EDC coilovers on the horizon, I would've waited on the suspension. Now get the X-Pipe and you'll be in love all over again............Phil
2011.5 E92 Dinan///M3: SSII DCT- Comp, Prem 2, and Conv Pkg, Heated Seats, Enhanced Prem Sound, Edition Grills/Gills, M Performance Steering Wheel, Carbon Fiber Performance Spoiler, BMW Pedals, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan X-Pipe, Dinan Carbon Fiber Intake, Dinan Software Tune, Dinan DCT Tune, Dinan Pulley Kit, Dinan CH-R Wheels, Dinan Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Arkym Lip, IND M5 Mirror Caps, Carbon Reflectors, Lux H8 V3, Brembo 365mm BBK
///M Ryder is offline   United_States
      03-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #5
isugoo
Major General

Drives: 11 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
Good choice on the mods. With the EDC coilovers on the horizon, I would've waited on the suspension. Now get the X-Pipe and you'll be in love all over again............Phil
He clearly mentioned he doesn't' feel comfortable removing cats.
And Dinan mid pipe is considered as a racing parts and has no matching warranty.

X5M: Dinan Exhaust | Dinan Suspension | Velos Tune | BMW Perfomance Splitter | Lux V4 | Euro Mirrors | H&R 12/25 mm Spacers | IND Cosmetic Package
PAST: 08 E90 M3 | 08 E92 335i | 03.5 E46 M3 | 99 E36 M3
isugoo is offline   United_States
      03-23-2012, 03:06 PM   #6
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man

Drives: 2011.5 Dinan ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by isugoo View Post
And Dinan mid pipe is considered as a racing parts and has no matching warranty.
I'm sure there are several X-Pipe owners who said, " I don't want to remove my cats"......including me. But hey Sh*t happens. He might change his mind after he hears one or drives a car with one. As far as warranty, ok but I haven't read a thread about a X-Pipe failure or a warranty claim denied because of a Dinan X-Pipe. I'm going to go out on a limb and say Dinan is a pretty safe bet. My E36 with almost all the bolt-ons they offered ran flawlessly until the day I sold it......Phil
2011.5 E92 Dinan///M3: SSII DCT- Comp, Prem 2, and Conv Pkg, Heated Seats, Enhanced Prem Sound, Edition Grills/Gills, M Performance Steering Wheel, Carbon Fiber Performance Spoiler, BMW Pedals, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan X-Pipe, Dinan Carbon Fiber Intake, Dinan Software Tune, Dinan DCT Tune, Dinan Pulley Kit, Dinan CH-R Wheels, Dinan Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Arkym Lip, IND M5 Mirror Caps, Carbon Reflectors, Lux H8 V3, Brembo 365mm BBK
///M Ryder is offline   United_States
      03-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
Pauldramos

Quote:
Originally Posted by isugoo View Post
Yeah, I'd prefer not to do that. Thanks for catching that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
I'm sure there are several X-Pipe owners who said, " I don't want to remove my cats"......including me. But hey Sh*t happens. He might change his mind after he hears one or drives a car with one. As far as warranty, ok but I haven't read a thread about a X-Pipe failure or a warranty claim denied because of a Dinan X-Pipe. I'm going to go out on a limb and say Dinan is a pretty safe bet. My E36 with almost all the bolt-ons they offered ran flawlessly until the day I sold it......Phil
You are absolutely right the power gain would be significant but with my own personal choice I have elected to not do that. I also agree that there probably has not been an x-pipe failure/warranty issue. I am also too lazy to have the mid-pipe replaced just for an emissions test. It is easier this way for me.
      03-28-2012, 09:33 AM   #8
Pauldramos

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH
You also have to take into consideration it comes with a warranty. Gotta love that!
      04-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #9
Pauldramos

As an FYI, I will be heading to Dinan on Monday to meet with the staff and get a tour. If anybody has any questions please post or PM them to me. Thanks.

Have a great weekend all...
      04-12-2012, 08:39 AM   #10
Pauldramos

Went to the Dinan hq on Monday. Very cool place. Some really nice people. There is extreme professionalism and very top notch engineering going on there. They really put quality, reliability and integrity into the products.
      04-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #11
Pauldramos

Newest addition to the ride.
Attached Images

04-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #12
Pauldramos

Well, I decided to add the "High Flow Throttle Bodies" and "Racing Rear Toe Links", I'll let you know how it drives after the install.
      04-24-2012, 01:52 PM   #13
sig5x
Private First Class

Drives: e92 ZCP

Do you have any additional updates on the exhaust and your impressions on it after more miles on it? I'm curious to hear your feedback on the exhaust note, "bassiness", especially upon start-up, etc.

Also, how does the ride height compare to the original stock ZCP height? Any lower or higher in the front/rear?

Great looking car and the enhancements make it an even sweeter ride!
      04-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #14
Pauldramos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sig5x
Do you have any additional updates on the exhaust and your impressions on it after more miles on it? I'm curious to hear your feedback on the exhaust note, "bassiness", especially upon start-up, etc.

Also, how does the ride height compare to the original stock ZCP height? Any lower or higher in the front/rear?

Great looking car and the enhancements make it an even sweeter ride!
I am thoroughly enjoying the exhaust note. It gets an enormous amount of looks as I drive through a parking lot or by any crowd. It makes a statement of being very aggressive waiting to unleash at any second. You know there is a very healthy engine there.

The ride height of the s3 vs zcp seems identical to me. The ride is a little smoother but the responsiveness and tight cornering is more supple. Defiantly the "on rails" feeling.

I'm adding the rear toe links and high flow throttle bodies on Monday and we will see what that does.
      05-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #15
Pauldramos

I have added the High flow throttle bodies and rear toe links to my car. The toe links really made a difference. The acceleration and the braking are definitely positively impacted. The breaking seems even quicker and the acceleration seems a bit more focused. The cornering also seems to be absent of any acceleration hesitation that I noticed on some corners previously. The throttle bodies have caused the exhaust note to be even a bit deeper which is great. I love the Dinan exhaust sound but now it goes to 11. Pictures forthcoming.
      06-24-2012, 08:58 AM   #16
Pauldramos

Bump
      06-25-2012, 07:27 PM   #17
chili cheese
Captain

Drives: '13 E92 M3, Santorini Blue

Time to take it to the track and give us your feedback?
      07-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #18
Pauldramos

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili cheese View Post
Time to take it to the track and give us your feedback?
Yes, you are absolutely right. I am planning on hitting the track this summer.
      07-13-2012, 04:05 AM   #19
FR01
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 E92

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
Are the high flow throttle bodies emissions legal? Thought it was only for "racing"?

2011 M3 Dakar Yellow-Black Leather-Comp Pkg-DCT-Akra Evo-AP BBK Front-VOLK RE30/BBS GT4 18x10" Square
1995 M3 Boston Green - Chipped - Ground Control Coilovers - APEX ARC8
Past: 2005 Porsche Boxster S-Silver-6spd-Fabspeed Exhaust
Closed Thread