BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

04-13-2017, 07:42 PM   #1
Cbozz
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
Anyone running 300cpi high flowing cats?

So currently I have a catless AA x pipe setup but I also have a baby on the way and decided to get rid of the smelly ride so I'm thinking about installing high flowing cats but I had AA 100 or maybe that was 200 CPI cats and it smelled pretty bad alsmot made no difference when going catless...
My question is if anyone that uses 300 CPI or 400CPI could chime in and let me know which ones don't smell. I hope 300 gets rid of the smell completely but I'm not sure and searching forums I found a lot of discussion about HFC but never an answer which one really gets rid of the smell! Thanks guys!
      04-13-2017, 10:19 PM   #2
Cbozz
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
No one!???
      04-13-2017, 10:35 PM   #3
Shredicus
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3

Well I'm curious too. The other thing I've seen is high load low cpi cats with extra rare earth minerals to aid in catalytic conversion of the exhaust. Also cat location is important I believe for heating up the elements
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 03:51 AM   #4
loveskiing
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E90

Good on you for wanting to breathe clean air and making changes for your new family addition. I can't speak about 300 or 400 cell cats, but like you I was VERY concerned about odors, did LOTS of research and decided to go with the ESS X-pipe with HFC...I believe they use 200 cell but I can tell you that it does the trick and I'm very satisfied. Hope that helps!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 07:38 AM   #5
TomHudson
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveskiing View Post
Good on you for wanting to breathe clean air and making changes for your new family addition. I can't speak about 300 or 400 cell cats, but like you I was VERY concerned about odors, did LOTS of research and decided to go with the ESS X-pipe with HFC...I believe they use 200 cell but I can tell you that it does the trick and I'm very satisfied. Hope that helps!
Curious; are the HFC from ESS?
What tune are you using?
Any issues with passing OBDII readiness/smog test?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 01:33 PM   #6
loveskiing
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHudson
Quote:
Curious; are the HFC from ESS?
What tune are you using?
Any issues with passing OBDII readiness/smog test?
Yes the HFC are from ESS but they came with the X-pipe, I didn't purchase them separately. The tune is also from ESS.
I just went thru Oregon's DEQ inspection, failed the first time and had to put back my original file, pass DEQ, and then reinstall the tune, et voila! Sure beats having to live with horrible odors all year, and/or needing to remove pipes and reinstall them each time I go thru state inspection.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 02:10 PM   #7
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90M,13 ZCP E92, 12 X5

Quote:
I also have the ESS HFC Xpipe and am very happy. I don't know how many cells they have but there is no longer the telltale smell of catless cars

These cats are in the OEM position so they receive hotter air than the rest of the xpipes that have them further downstream. This helps the cats do their job

I can pass emissions all over the place as they all require 7 out of 8 sensors, so your secondary sensors can be unhappy but the car still passes.
I'm unsure of whether any state requires 8/8 sensors to pass. In MA, NY and CT I can pass emissions with any tune

Chris, if you're ever in NY you're welcome to try mine out

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 04-14-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2017, 05:04 PM   #8
Cbozz
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I also have the ESS HFC Xpipe and am very happy. I don't know how many cells they have but there is no longer the telltale smell of catless cars

These cats are in the OEM position so they receive hotter air than the rest of the xpipes that have them further downstream. This helps the cats do their job

I can pass emissions all over the place as they all require 7 out of 8 sensors, so your secondary sensors can be unhappy but the car still passes.
I'm unsure of whether any state requires 8/8 sensors to pass. In MA, NY and CT I can pass emissions with any tune

Chris, if you're ever in NY you're welcome to try mine out
perfect, I think I got the answer I've been looking for! thanks guys!
      04-14-2017, 06:08 PM   #9
roastbeef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

the afe hfc uses 300 cel cats, just fyi. i don't have mine yet, but when it arrives i can let you know more about it.
      04-14-2017, 09:44 PM   #10
Cbozz
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
the afe hfc uses 300 cel cats, just fyi. i don't have mine yet, but when it arrives i can let you know more about it.
that'd be awesome! thanks