BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
BPM Sport
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-21-2007, 03:48 AM   #89
TheRealDC
Private
 
TheRealDC's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Scotland

Posts: 69
iTrader: (0)

First 600 miles

Hi folks

I got my car last Friday evening

So far, on my normal daily commute and driving the same style as before I'm averaging 23.2 mpg according to the trip computer. Now, the interesting bit is that, given that my last new M3 was way over 4 years ago, I can't honestly recall how the fuel consumption went during the run-in process. I'm pretty sure it was equally bad, but just can't remember. I'll keep you posted as the miles go on, but my last M3 didn't fully loosen up till around 10k miles ....




Cheers .. DC
TheRealDC is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2007, 03:52 AM   #90
Filthy Monkey
Private First Class
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 193
iTrader: (0)

I've been averaging around 15mpg or so driving round London, but managed 22 on a trip to Gatwick recently, mostly at triple figure speeds, so not really too bad! It's definitely a lot better than my M5 or M6. I struggled to get them into double figures around London...
Filthy Monkey is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2007, 10:11 AM   #91
mkoesel
Moderator
 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

Posts: 13,745
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Mkoesel - do you concede defeat? I think there is ample data that shows the new M3 is worse than the E46 M3 for fuel economy.

$100 or do you want to work out alternative payment?
I was going to say we should just wait for theRealDC, but he posted just after you. Seems you were a bit pre-cognitive there.

However, he did mention the break-in period. You want to wait 'til that's over? If not, PM your email, I will paypal you the money.

Like I said above, you will probably win the bet. The spirit of my post was that people are over-reacting about mileage. I am just happy to hear he is getting 23+ with the car. That should rightly silence all the folks who went on and on about poor gas mileage. And if not, well then they are just bitching for the sake of bitching. The best I have EVER gotten with my E46 was 24, and that was when I used to have a driving mix with 90% highway.

Keep us posted on your mileage RealDC.
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
mkoesel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2007, 10:13 AM   #92
mkoesel
Moderator
 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

Posts: 13,745
iTrader: (1)

And BTW, RealDC, post pics of your car!! Maybe start a new thread, give your opinions. I am interested to hear what options you have and how it compares to the E46.
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
mkoesel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2007, 10:26 AM   #93
T Bone
Brigadier General
 
T Bone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The land where we kill baby seals

Posts: 4,021
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I was going to say we should just wait for theRealDC, but he posted just after you. Seems you were a bit pre-cognitive there.

However, he did mention the break-in period. You want to wait 'til that's over? If not, PM your email, I will paypal you the money.

Like I said above, you will probably win the bet. The spirit of my post was that people are over-reacting about mileage. I am just happy to hear he is getting 23+ with the car. That should rightly silence all the folks who went on and on about poor gas mileage. And if not, well then they are just bitching for the sake of bitching. The best I have EVER gotten with my E46 was 24, and that was when I used to have a driving mix with 90% highway.

Keep us posted on your mileage RealDC.

The official BMW numbers also say the E92 M3 eats more fuel....

I don't want your money, I would like you to put on Type R stickers or RS4 stickers on your BMW and post the high-rez photos....
__________________
"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"......Enzo Ferrari
T Bone is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2007, 10:46 AM   #94
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
 
ruff's Avatar
 
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The mountains of Utah

Posts: 1,184
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
That should rightly silence all the folks who went on and on about poor gas mileage. And if not, well then they are just bitching for the sake of bitching.
Keep us posted on your mileage RealDC.
I definately fit this category, infact, I am the OP. Maybe I am too hopeful about newer generation DFI, we shall see when Porsche releases it in the 997, 987. I will continue to have high expectations with manufactures to get the best mileage out of their high performance powplants, especially since gas prices in the states are likely to reach +$4 a gallon for regular unleaded in the near future. I know we are lucky here in the States.
You have a 335, it gets amazing mileage vs it's competition thanks to DFI and biturbos. The M3 actually looks like it will also get good mileage compared to other V8's with the exception being the amazing 6.2 litre LS3 in the Vette. BMW better not be lying about the 8% increase in fuel efficiency of the M3 over the E46 or it might be enough to tip the scales for me in another direction. One must take into account the 08 EPA mileage ratings are more accurate and therefore mileage is rated lower than previous years. So when comparing the E92 to the E46 one must take this into account and make the necessary adustments. Kiplinger has a excellent website for this:

http://www.kiplinger.com/tools/gas_mileage/
ruff is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2007, 11:35 AM   #95
mkoesel
Moderator
 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

Posts: 13,745
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
I don't want your money, I would like you to put on Type R stickers or RS4 stickers on your BMW and post the high-rez photos....
Aha, well that wasn't the bet we agreed on though. The magic number, for non-monetary bets was 22.5mpg. I gave you the opportunity to take it, but you did not.

I have conceded the bet, and am fully prepared to honor it.
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
mkoesel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2007, 11:41 AM   #96
mkoesel
Moderator
 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

Posts: 13,745
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
I definately fit this category, infact, I am the OP.
Aha, so you are ruff, so you are. Nothing personal meant to you in particular. You are cool by me. I don't share your passion for fuel efficiency in performance cars, but I can respect your opinion. Even if its wrong.

Quote:
You have a 335, it gets amazing mileage vs it's competition thanks to DFI and biturbos.
Ah, but the rub there is that the mileage is no better than the M3. True story.

Quote:
BMW better not be lying about the 8% increase in fuel efficiency of the M3 over the E46 or it might be enough to tip the scales for me in another direction.
That may turn out to be just a bit of BMW's famous creative marketing. Remember, we have already seen how the weight reduction market-speak has played out in the real world. These BMW PR folks do talk a good talk!
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
mkoesel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2007, 03:05 PM   #97
T Bone
Brigadier General
 
T Bone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The land where we kill baby seals

Posts: 4,021
iTrader: (0)

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Aha, well that wasn't the bet we agreed on though. The magic number, for non-monetary bets was 22.5mpg. I gave you the opportunity to take it, but you did not.

I have conceded the bet, and am fully prepared to honor it.

I truly don't want your money.

To filful your end of the bargain, can you please donate the $100 to a registered charity of your choice with the donor as "M3Post.COM"?

If you post a pic / scan of the receipt, I would consider your end of the obligation fulfilled. You can then also write off against your income taxes.

Deal?
__________________
"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"......Enzo Ferrari
T Bone is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2007, 10:28 PM   #98
mkoesel
Moderator
 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

Posts: 13,745
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
I truly don't want your money.

To filful your end of the bargain, can you please donate the $100 to a registered charity of your choice with the donor as "M3Post.COM"?

If you post a pic / scan of the receipt, I would consider your end of the obligation fulfilled. You can then also write off against your income taxes.

Deal?
Hey, what a nice idea. Sure, absolutely. Give me a couple days to complete the transaction.
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
mkoesel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-25-2007, 09:19 AM   #99
mkoesel
Moderator
 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

Posts: 13,745
iTrader: (1)

Done. The receipt does not mention M3Post.com, but I left a note in the comment field to explain that.

Cheers
Attached Images
 
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
mkoesel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-25-2007, 10:30 AM   #100
T Bone
Brigadier General
 
T Bone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The land where we kill baby seals

Posts: 4,021
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Done. The receipt does not mention M3Post.com, but I left a note in the comment field to explain that.

Cheers

KUDOs and Cheers mate!!!
__________________
"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"......Enzo Ferrari
T Bone is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-25-2007, 12:01 PM   #101
swamp2
Lieutenant General
 
swamp2's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

Posts: 10,201
iTrader: (1)

Gentlemen

Wow, what true gentlemen we have here on m3post.com! Hat's off guys for the civility, honor and good sportsmanship!
swamp2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-25-2007, 12:18 PM   #102
T Bone
Brigadier General
 
T Bone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The land where we kill baby seals

Posts: 4,021
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Wow, what true gentlemen we have here on m3post.com! Hat's off guys for the civility, honor and good sportsmanship!



Cheers...

I don't think Schneid4323 thinks I am gentleman
__________________
"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"......Enzo Ferrari
T Bone is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:38 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST