BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

House Motorsports

09-06-2014, 10:39 AM   #1
KJ
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 - Alpine White

Hawk HPS vs Akebono Euro Ceramic

I'm looking for new brake pads and am debating between Hawk HPS vs Akebono Euro Ceramic.

My criteria in order of preference are:
1. Equal or better stopping power vs OEM
2. Low noise
3. Low Dust

I was hoping to get some input from people who have used either pad!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 12:57 PM   #2
SuckaGDog
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

Are you dead set on both those pads or are you willing to consider other pads?

I have the Hawk HPS pads on my daily and have had them on for about 40k miles. They bite super hard once you get on them and some heat is generated. A lot of people say they have poor brake modulation which is a characteristic of the pad I personally didn't mind it, but once it was mentioned I could understand why it bothered some people.

It does have much lower dust compared to the factory pads and barely squeals. It did a few times under brake in but has been silent since then.

I installed some Carbotech 1521 pads on my M5 and I like them much better than the HPS pads. They produce less brake dust and it is easier to clean off compared to the HPS pads and they are peep silent also. They have better brake modulation and seem to be easier on the rotors. Plus if I ever switch to any of their track pads I don't have to re-bed the pads since they are made out of the same material.

HPS is a good pad, but its old stuff I feel like there is better ones out there now. Also Hawk came out with a new street pad recently called the HIGH PERFORMANCE STREET 5.0, maybe check those out also?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 01:35 AM   #3
KJ
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the insight. I saw the HPS Street 5.0 on the website but wasn't sure what to make of it because I never heard about it before.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 12:27 PM   #4
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

HPS blow. Get StopTech StreetSport pads instead. You just have to bed them in properly.

And don't EVER TAKE HPS ON THE TRACK unless you want to die.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 02:55 PM   #5
pbonsalb
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

StopTech Street pads dust. Been running them for a couple of years. Not sure they are any better than stock.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 03:02 PM   #6
tdott
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
HPS blow. Get StopTech StreetSport pads instead. You just have to bed them in properly.

That's a bold statement to make, back in the day they were considered a great pad, but as mentioned above they are old tech now and there is better out there.

I tracked HPS pads on an e36 and never had issues. I didn't die.

Making bold claims without referencing why is childish.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 04:20 PM   #7
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
That's a bold statement to make, back in the day they were considered a great pad, but as mentioned above they are old tech now and there is better out there.

I tracked HPS pads on an e36 and never had issues. I didn't die.

Making bold claims without referencing why is childish.
Then you're SLOW.
They barely held up on aggressive street driving. Left pad deposits all the time on my E36 M3. Friends had NO BRAKES within one full lap at the track. I only talk shit about a product if I have PERSONAL experience with it.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."

Last edited by aus; 10-07-2014 at 08:16 PM.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 01:39 AM   #8
KJ
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

So are the Hawk HPS 5.0 the "new" version of the old HPS?

Anyone have experience with it?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 07:10 AM   #9
tdott
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Then your SLOW.
They barely held up on aggressive street driving. Left pad deposits all the time on my E36 M3. Friends had NO BRAKES within one full lap at the track. I only talk shit about a product if I have PERSONAL experience with it.
Hardly, Try again son...

That wasn't even a fast lap time, just shows me passing an Aston and E60 m5.

Something was either wrong with your friends driving or his car.
      09-08-2014, 09:04 AM   #10
Kwando
Major
Rep
Drives: Bianchi Super Pista

I have Hawk Pads on my daily..saved me.

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 08:13 PM   #11
Z K
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, MK6 GLI

HPS pads are ok on small/light cars back in the 90s when it was released. The E9x M3 is neither. It is ok for a street pad, but there's way better stuff out there now.

Akebono ceramic is good for no noise/no dust - it's not a performance oriented pad.
      10-04-2014, 02:16 AM   #12
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hardly, Try again son...

That wasn't even a fast lap time, just shows me passing an Aston and E60 m5.

Something was either wrong with your friends driving or his car.
Nice driving, but that track doesn't put any kind of stress on brakes. If you're happy with them, use them, but there's MUCH better pads out there. KNock youself out. I don't really give a rats ass what you use. The HPS pads I had on my E36 were only ok on the road and suck on a track that's hard on brakes.
I will say again, the Stoptech Sport pads are WAAAAY better than HPS for street and track and have similar dust levels, and they're pretty cheap too. Have you TRIED them yet?? I've tried both and there's NO COMPARISON. Cold bite is even much better with the ST pads. Not to mention the rear pads for the E36 M3 didn't fit perfectly and would knock when braking while backing up, and then know again when going forward again.

As for passing an Aston and M5... anyone who tracks know's a fast driver is much more important than the car they drive.

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 08:22 AM   #13
pbonsalb
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Pads can also vary depending on application, so I am not sure you can compare experiences in an E36M3 to experiences in an E90M3. I have StopTech Street pads in my E36M3 and do not like them. The chamfer takes up the majority of the pad surface area, leaving less pad touching the rotors. Bite and stopping power seem to me to be worse than stock or Axxis Ultimate pads and no better than the Centrix Posi Quiet pads that I have run before. I have been using them for a couple of years but plan to move on to something else -- maybe even stock pads. I have the StopTech Street pads on my E90M3 and like them. They seem to me to be at least as good as stock though I am honestly not sure they are much of an "upgrade" over stock.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 09:06 AM   #14
tdott
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
They barely held up on aggressive street driving. Left pad deposits all the time on my E36 M3. Friends had NO BRAKES within one full lap at the track.
Quote:
Quote:
Nice driving, but that track doesn't put any kind of stress on brakes. If you're happy with them, use them, but there's MUCH better pads out there. KNock youself out. I don't really give a rats ass what you use. The HPS pads I had on my E36 were only ok on the road and suck on a track that's hard on brakes.
I was just trying to prove that I used HPS pads on the track and I didn't die. Never said they were the best out there, obviously something is wrong with your logic.
      10-07-2014, 08:18 PM   #15
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was just trying to prove that I used HPS pads on the track and I didn't die. Never said they were the best out there, obviously something is wrong with your logic.
My logic is to NOT take HPS on the track. Your lock is to take them on a track where you barely use the brakes, and then say, they're a decent track pad.

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 05:33 PM   #16
tdott
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My logic is to NOT take HPS on the track. Your lock is to take them on a track where you barely use the brakes, and then say, they're a decent track pad.
Your logic is that if you get no brakes after 1 lap blame the pads, tell everyone they will kill you magically as soon as you touch the track?

Yes, I'm sure we all agree with you.
      10-09-2014, 12:42 AM   #17
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Your logic is that if you get no brakes after 1 lap blame the pads, tell everyone they will kill you magically as soon as you touch the track?

When you've gone around the same track in stock pads and been fine, and definitely did well with HP+ pads at the same track... then, yes, I do blame the pads.

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 05:07 PM   #18
KJ
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Anyone try the Hawk HPS 5.0 yet? How does it compare to the Akebono Euro Ceramic?

Hawk HPS 5.0 is only available for the front, if I decide to guinea pig it, I will have to use Akebono Euro Ceramic in the rear? Anyone else use different pads front to back?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 12:57 AM   #19
admranger
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3, 2005 X5, 2011 M3

PFC Z-rated are better pads than HPS (I've used them both). I haven't tried the 5.0 pad b/c once you go PFC you won't want to mess around with other brands anymore. I used to race w/Hawk pads and then switched to PFC and have never looked back.

Akebono Ceramics are on my X5. They have less initial bite than the Z-rated, which has slightly less than stock. Dust is non-existent with the Akes, though (virtually). If you just putter around in your M3 they'll be fine. If you drive the car, get the PFCs. The X is our grocery getter, heavy traffic vehicle, though it has done some high speed runs and long trips (Vegas to DC and back). Still don't need much more than the Akes for it.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 01:24 AM   #20
Sandye90m3
Captain
Canada
Rep

I've had the Akebono Euro Ceramics for the past 10k miles, and they are great break pads.

First off, I never need to clean my rims which is a huge plus.

Performance wise, I noticed that the pads have a little less initial bite than OEM, but once your start driving spiritually, the initial bite comes back, which I think really matters.
      03-21-2015, 12:54 AM   #21
dreamspeed
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus
Quote:

When you've gone around the same track in stock pads and been fine, and definitely did well with HP+ pads at the same track... then, yes, I do blame the pads.

Hawk HPS and HP+ pads are known to fade to pretty much zero without any notice. HOWEVER, I'm not sure how aggressive you are with your brakes but unless you are on R compounds you PROBABLY won't ever get to that point.

Akebono euro ceramics probably have slightly less performance than OEM pads but honestly you won't notice with regular street driving. They basically have zero dust and make no noise at all.

Both comments are made based on my personal experience.
      03-21-2015, 01:51 PM   #22
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Quote:

Agreed, don't use them for track use.

A lot of manufacturers claim low dust, but IMO, its really not noticeable. Brake pads dust, its an consumable portion of the braking system. Unless you go ceramics.
If you are just using them for street, any of these street pads will work.

Stoptechs should be fine, and reasonable priced. Or just go OEM and be done with it.

Mosport Grand Prix track is not very hard on brakes, its a very fast track, last place you want brake failure.

2013 991 C4S-SOLD
2012 Golf R
2010 GT3
Appreciate 0