BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

06-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
Invadermoose
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: camaro

question regarding convertible and tracking

I look at the convertible vs coupe threads and I always see the same "sacrifices". Weight, appearance, speed, handling, and tracking.

Now, It's undeniable that all of those are worse than if it was a coupe, but I'm not sure about tracking. I know tracks disallow the use of softtop convertibles, but I thought hard tops were allowed at all tracks?

And with some mods I think a convertible could be even better than a coupe. I've never owned a car I havent supercharged, so I think I already see where my E93 is going. While I'm on the topic, are there any issues with supercharging a convertible?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #2
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT

Tracks and event organizers don't flat-out deny soft-tops. Some do, but others allow them as long as you have a roll bar or some pop-up roll bar mechanism, which BMWs do. But to use a convertible on a track, BOTH the track owners AND the event organizer hosting your particular track day need to approve.

As for hardtop convertibles, they're not viewed any differently because even with a hardtop, a vert's roof is not an integral part of its body structure, and as such doesn't have the same impact absorption capabilities if you roll or (worse) get hit by another car in the roof while your car is lying on its side. Scary as it sounds, the latter scenario is exactly why even coupes have roll cages at higher levels, because any well-designed roof can handle the impact of just about any roll on its own.
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Yoko AD08 R | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder

Last edited by jphughan; 06-18-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
M3Dreams
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 M3, E82 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invadermoose
I look at the convertible vs coupe threads and I always see the same "sacrifices". Weight, appearance, speed, handling, and tracking.

Now, It's undeniable that all of those are worse than if it was a coupe, but I'm not sure about tracking. I know tracks disallow the use of softtop convertibles, but I thought hard tops were allowed at all tracks?

And with some mods I think a convertible could be even better than a coupe. I've never owned a car I havent supercharged, so I think I already see where my E93 is going. While I'm on the topic, are there any issues with supercharging a convertible?
A convertible can not match the structure rigidity of a car with fixed a,b,c pillars.

That being said, lately I have been driving with my windows rolled down on my E90 to hear the beautiful soundtrack of the S65. I am sure, with the top down, that would be even more enjoyable and a very strong point when deciding to buy a vert.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
MiamiE93Vert
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: E93 M3 Convertible

Check with the track and the organizer of the event as they vary on their allowance of the E93; the convertible tracks very well, but for the added weight of course. Since you are in FL, both Homestead and Sebring allow for the E93, don't know about PBIR. Hooked on Driving and Chin Motorsports allow the E93 in the non-advanced groups. I don't think BMWCCA allows them.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 07:00 PM   #5
ThunderMoose
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2009 C2S and 2003 E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invadermoose View Post

you have a strange user name
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 11:15 PM   #6
VMcV3y
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2012 M3 Cabriolet

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Tracks and event organizers don't flat-out deny soft-tops. Some do, but others allow them as long as you have a roll bar or some pop-up roll bar mechanism, which BMWs do. But to use a convertible on a track, BOTH the track owners AND the event organizer hosting your particular track day need to approve.

As for hardtop convertibles, they're not viewed any differently because even with a hardtop, a vert's roof is not an integral part of its body structure, and as such doesn't have the same impact absorption capabilities if you roll or (worse) get hit by another car in the roof while your car is lying on its side. Scary as it sounds, the latter scenario is exactly why even coupes have roll cages at higher levels, because any well-designed roof can handle the impact of just about any roll on its own.
^ Agree.

One other comment: When I took the factory tour in Munich, the guide said that all of the steel in an M3 comes from Germany -- except on the E93 convertible, the steel around the front window (A pillar, I think), lower and upper frame, and extensions to the engine bay was a special steel imported from Japan to bolster the vehicle during roll-over. My thought is that having that super-metal in the front, plus the ROPS in the back, could make the E93 safe or as-safe as a full-fledged rooftop (without a containment area, I'll give on that.) But I have also seen more than a half-dozen roll-overs of normal vehicles, and the roofs of these cars weren't the best displays of structural integrity either.

OP: Now you have me thinking that I'm off to search for videos or statistics of rollovers in E93, E92, E90's to see what anecdotal info exists. (I need a hobby.)

. . . .Munich . . . >. . . .Houston

When one wants a cabriolet, is there really any other choice than an M3? No. No, there's not.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 08:26 AM   #7
ksoze
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMcV3y View Post
When I took the factory tour in Munich, the guide said that all of the steel in an M3 comes from Germany -- except on the E93 convertible, the steel around the front window (A pillar, I think), lower and upper frame, and extensions to the engine bay was a special steel imported from Japan to bolster the vehicle during roll-over.
Did not know that - thanks.
      06-19-2012, 08:58 AM   #8
VMcV3y
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2012 M3 Cabriolet

Garage List
I've been searching on-line this morning for details on the specific steel used, but have not found it yet. I have found a reference to boron steel...

However, quite interestingly, I have found the official BMW/MINI "Emergency Services Rescue Manual" (English) that advises Fire Departments, etc., on how to dissect the vehicle. It includes a few diagrams and information about the Roll-Over Protection System and then this phrase:
"Structural reinforcements in the A and B pillars are primarily installed in convertibles, Roadsters and Coupes. This is where there are particlar stability requirements on these cars." - Materials, Page 25
Other helpful things you can find here: See pages 119- 120, to view diagrams and learn specifically how to cut apart your convertible (i.e. "1. ... Cut along the upper lateral edge of the windscreen, as far outward as possible, parallel to the A pillar. Remove the roof outer skin on the C pillar with a spreader and cut the folding-top frame using an angle grinder.")

This manual is good for all BMW models, so in case an E90 or E88 user also wants to dismantle your car by cutting it, knock yourself out!

Site for PDF download:

https://oss.bmw.de/rettungsleitfaden...l_BMW_Mini.pdf

. . . .Munich . . . >. . . .Houston

When one wants a cabriolet, is there really any other choice than an M3? No. No, there's not.

Last edited by VMcV3y; 06-19-2012 at 09:01 AM. Reason: fixed a copy/paste error
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 11:30 AM   #9
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 M3

Verts are great. I had an E46 M3 vert for over 5 years and loved every second, the extra weight and less rigidity didn't really bother me. What did was the track thing, no way was I going to track it whether the organizers would allow it or not. Yes the windshield frame is reinforced and there is the roll over protection behind the seats, but that just is not enough if I was to roll it.

Everybody has their own level of risk tolerance and you will find track day organizers that allow verts. If you really want the fun of a convertible, don't let the weight issue keep you away from it. If you are serious about going to the track, I would highly recommend a coupe or sedan.
Appreciate 0