BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-09-2014, 03:07 PM   #1
gan1hck
0
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2012 M3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: huntsville, al

Posts: 220
iTrader: (0)

Wheel damage

Took my wheels into Firestone to get some new rubber mounted, and this is what they did to the wheel.

I'm annoyed about the cosmetics, but what I'm concerned about is....is the wheel still safe for track duty?

gan1hck is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2014, 03:55 PM   #2
Groundpilot
0
Major
 
Groundpilot's Avatar
 
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: long island,ny

Posts: 1,294
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via ICQ to Groundpilot
If its just a chipped paint, which what it looks like, then its ok, but i would take it to another shop for road force balance to see if the wheel is deformed.
__________________

David
Groundpilot is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2014, 04:00 PM   #3
gan1hck
0
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2012 M3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: huntsville, al

Posts: 220
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot View Post
If its just a chipped paint, which what it looks like, then its ok, but i would take it to another shop for road force balance to see if the wheel is deformed.
what does that mean??
gan1hck is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2014, 05:21 PM   #4
tinman831
0
Captain
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: DFW

Posts: 788
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gan1hck View Post
what does that mean??
http://www.motorweek.org/features/go...orce_balancing
tinman831 is online now  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2014, 05:28 PM   #5
gan1hck
0
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2012 M3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: huntsville, al

Posts: 220
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman831 View Post
but wouldn't that only be helpful if I had vibration issues?

Smooth at 80 mph...so there's really no need to do this right?
gan1hck is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2014, 06:03 PM   #6
Estoril Blue
0
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2006 M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Maryland

Posts: 228
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gan1hck View Post
but wouldn't that only be helpful if I had vibration issues?

Smooth at 80 mph...so there's really no need to do this right?

If they chipped it - get the paint fixed and they should pay for it.
__________________
Estoril Blue is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2014, 06:08 PM   #7
gan1hck
0
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2012 M3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: huntsville, al

Posts: 220
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoril Blue View Post
If they chipped it - get the paint fixed and they should pay for it.
I agree...that's the right thing for them to do....

but in reality, getting it painted so that it looks good, is not worth the hassle for me.

I just wanted to know if you guys thought that the wheel remains structurally sound......and if not...I would want them to replace the wheel...which I think is not going to happen.
gan1hck is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2014, 06:37 PM   #8
spdy330
0
Major General
 
spdy330's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Tundra, 11 M3, 08 Odyssey
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chino, CA

Posts: 6,048
iTrader: (160)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to spdy330 Send a message via Yahoo to spdy330
Looks fine to me. Sucks it happened though.
__________________
If you will be purchasing ANY AT&T services online or in store could you mention that you were referred by me? My Employee Referral ID is eo4489. This would be a great help, thank you!
spdy330 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2014, 06:48 PM   #9
Groundpilot
0
Major
 
Groundpilot's Avatar
 
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: long island,ny

Posts: 1,294
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via ICQ to Groundpilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by gan1hck View Post
but wouldn't that only be helpful if I had vibration issues?

Smooth at 80 mph...so there's really no need to do this right?
Road force balance will eliminate vibration from the tire but not if it comes from the deformed wheel.
__________________

David
Groundpilot is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2014, 06:50 PM   #10
Estoril Blue
0
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2006 M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Maryland

Posts: 228
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gan1hck View Post
I agree...that's the right thing for them to do....

but in reality, getting it painted so that it looks good, is not worth the hassle for me.

I just wanted to know if you guys thought that the wheel remains structurally sound......and if not...I would want them to replace the wheel...which I think is not going to happen.

Pull the wheel and inspect it with care inside and out. Based on the photo alone - it looks like the force that chipped the paint wasn't much at all.
__________________
Estoril Blue is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2014, 08:06 PM   #11
gan1hck
0
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2012 M3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: huntsville, al

Posts: 220
iTrader: (0)

thanks guys for the reply.

Because I don't trust anyone...I only took the wheels to the shop...didn't want to leave my car there.

God knows what would have happened if I had left the entire car for them to work on.

You would think with just the wheels...no dismounting and remounting, they would have no trouble at all.
gan1hck is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-10-2014, 02:33 PM   #12
s85e90
0
Colonel
 
Drives: black e90
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: everywhere

Posts: 2,239
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gan1hck View Post
thanks guys for the reply.

Because I don't trust anyone...I only took the wheels to the shop...didn't want to leave my car there.

God knows what would have happened if I had left the entire car for them to work on.

You would think with just the wheels...no dismounting and remounting, they would have no trouble at all.
you went to Firestone what did you expect? If you're racing the car you should also know what is safe/not safe. This is a cosmetic chip, nothing else.
s85e90 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST