BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

PYSPEED

09-27-2014, 11:30 PM   #1
imserious
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2010 E90M LMB

Keeping the leather looking factory matte

Just finished cleaning my leather earlier today and think I found the answer.

Griots interior cleaner spray + brush + leather masters leather protection creme

I've tried the leather masters cleaner and conditioner and it was super matte but the cleaner did not work well.

I tried the griots cleaner and conditioner and it cleaned super well, but the conditioner was greasy. Not so bad, but not super matte like the leather masters.

So I combined the griots cleaner and the leather masters protection creme and can't be happier.

The griots cleaner works really well. You have to use a brush (horse or boars hair) and give it some muscle. Get it to "sud" and work it. Wipe down with a micro fiber cloth and it gets the stains and dirt out. Repeat if there are heavily soiled areas and use clean cloths to wipe up and pull dirt away. Leaves a super matte finish.

The leather masters protection creme is great. Apply a thin layer and let dry. There is minimal product to wipe up. The result is super matte once again.

I know everyone swears by leatherique and I don't doubt it, but I think this is a super 1-2 combo alternative.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 02:21 AM   #2
fastmike
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E93 M3

I've only tried Lexol on my leather, have you tried that? Wondering how the Griot's compares.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 04:39 AM   #3
///M Power-Belgium
Brigadier General
Belgium

Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II

Would love to see pics....
      09-28-2014, 10:39 AM   #4
imserious
First Lieutenant

A few crappy iphone pics in the garage. You can get a sense of the finish. Haven't tried lexol so can't compare.

with flash

without flash
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 11:10 AM   #5
rjd598
Brigadier General
United_States

Drives: 10' M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.50]
1999 BMW M3  [0.00]
Lexol is crap for slot detailers. Griots leather cleaner is great from what I hear and the protection cream works really well. Good choices
      09-28-2014, 03:36 PM   #6
///M Power-Belgium
Brigadier General
Belgium

Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II

Leatherique and my thread about it => http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=768340
Attached Images

09-29-2014, 12:55 PM   #7
s85e90
Colonel

Drives: black e90

Griot's interior cleaner has been the best thing I have found for removing the gloss from the leather and returning it to a matte appearance.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 04:58 PM   #8
VtecforV8
Private First Class

Drives: 2010 E92 M3 6MT

I've had some good luck with the AMMO leather cleaner / Swissvax brush as well. It does seem to want some conditioning afterwards, however, so I'll try the leather masters creme and report back on the combination.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 10:17 PM   #9
BigBoosting
First Lieutenant

Drives: 09' M3 6MT

Is this the correct cleaner spray?
http://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage-...eather+cleaner

And the creme?
http://www.amazon.com/Leather-Master...otection+cream

I've been looking for an alternative to Leatherique. Although it works great its a damn mess and takes quite awhile to go through the process.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 12:58 AM   #10
imserious
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoosting
Is this the correct cleaner spray?
http://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage-...eather+cleaner

And the creme?
http://www.amazon.com/Leather-Master...otection+cream

I've been looking for an alternative to Leatherique. Although it works great its a damn mess and takes quite awhile to go through the process.
Wrong griots spray. That will be the greasy conditioner. It really does smell amazing but not matte.

You need the interior cleaner.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00J5C...=SS115&simLd=1

The leather masters protection creme is correct.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 11:37 PM   #11
WWM3
Captain

Drives: 09 E90 M3 AW/FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by imserious View Post
Just finished cleaning my leather earlier today and think I found the answer.

Griots interior cleaner spray + brush + leather masters leather protection creme

I've tried the leather masters cleaner and conditioner and it was super matte but the cleaner did not work well.

I tried the griots cleaner and conditioner and it cleaned super well, but the conditioner was greasy. Not so bad, but not super matte like the leather masters.

So I combined the griots cleaner and the leather masters protection creme and can't be happier.

The griots cleaner works really well. You have to use a brush (horse or boars hair) and give it some muscle. Get it to "sud" and work it. Wipe down with a micro fiber cloth and it gets the stains and dirt out. Repeat if there are heavily soiled areas and use clean cloths to wipe up and pull dirt away. Leaves a super matte finish.

The leather masters protection creme is great. Apply a thin layer and let dry. There is minimal product to wipe up. The result is super matte once again.

I know everyone swears by leatherique and I don't doubt it, but I think this is a super 1-2 combo alternative.
Thanks for the post. I'm going to try this same combo. How did you apply the leather masters protection cream?

Coming Soon: BPM Stage II
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 07:43 PM   #12
imserious
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWM3 View Post
Thanks for the post. I'm going to try this same combo. How did you apply the leather masters protection cream?
microfiber or cotton application pad. squeeze a little on the pad. spread a thin layer on the leather. let dry and wipe up any excess.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 07:55 PM   #13
WWM3
Captain

Drives: 09 E90 M3 AW/FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by imserious
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWM3 View Post
microfiber or cotton application pad. squeeze a little on the pad. spread a thin layer on the leather. let dry and wipe up any excess.
Thank you!

Coming Soon: BPM Stage II
Appreciate 0