BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

GT Haus

06-08-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
SWEM3E90
Registered

Drives: Shopping for an E90 M3

M3 E90 - Service due. Date vs. mileage

Hi all,

Searched high and low but could not find an answer to my question (see below).

Iīm looking for a used M3 E90 and found a 2009 (at ~20.000 miles) that looks interesting. However, looking at the service indicators in iDrive I donīt know what to think.

The "date due" versus the mileage reading is way off (or is it?). The vehicle check status states a due date late this year but mileage tells me close to 30.000km (~18600 miles).

Engine oil matches up better with +1.5 years or 25.000km (~15500 miles).

Should I be worried or is this normal? I guess the variable service indicator works off both date (service within max months) or mileage, whatever comes first? Donīt have access to service records for the car...that would probably fill some gaps in this story.

Any help appreciated, thanks!
      06-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
jphughan
Brigadier General

Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT

Many maintenance items are based on time and mileage, so if the owner had some service done early, it's entirely possible for the timing to be off. Also keep in mind that the reverse is possible: the owner might have had maintenance performed without updating the computer. I've done that so far with my brake fluid and engine oil so that I can maintain my car better than BMW recommends but still get the free service under Ultimate Service when the computer says so.

The Vehicle Check on my car (not yet done) appears to be set for 30K miles or 4 years, but that interval might be different on older model years or cars in other countries -- for example, my car was the first production month where brake fluid became recommended every 3 years rather than every 2. No changes to the braking system or brake fluid, just cost cutting on Ultimate Service.

If you can reach the original owner, ask for service records. If you can't, the dealership should be able to provide records for any service performed at any BMW dealership.
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Yoko AD08 R | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder

Last edited by jphughan; 06-08-2012 at 01:43 PM.
jphughan is offline   United_States
      06-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
SWEM3E90
Registered

Drives: Shopping for an E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
If you can reach the original owner, ask for service records. If you can't, the dealership should be able to provide records for any service performed at any BMW dealership.
Thanks for your reply, that might well explain it! The car is an import and was serviced (documented) close to two years back. Looks like it has been mostly sitting since then. The dealer is now hunting down service records that hopefully clears things up a bit (oil indicator indicates that it was serviced recently).

Just donīt want to buy something that may have signs of foul play so thought Iīd better check here for input

Dealer is great, making their utmost to clear out any question marks.