BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-04-2012, 04:43 PM   #45
Giccy
Captain
 
Giccy's Avatar
 
Drives: like he has much to learn
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 681
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK_M3 View Post
You say that like its a bad thing. High speed pursuits almost always end bad for innocent people and property. This is why we have a system in place to identify people. It's called license plates.

I'm all for no chases unless its absolutely neccissary for whatever reason.
Who's advocating for chases where it's not absolutely necessary and for no reason?
Giccy is offline   Canada
0
      06-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #46
tibra1
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

Posts: 6,777
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK_M3 View Post
You say that like its a bad thing. High speed pursuits almost always end bad for innocent people and property. This is why we have a system in place to identify people. It's called license plates.

I'm all for no chases unless its absolutely neccissary for whatever reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giccy View Post
Who's advocating for chases where it's not absolutely necessary and for no reason?
+1..So if someone wrecked into your car and you observed it..would you pull into a starbucks for a latte or would you give chase..seems the reason is clear and the chase absolutely necessary..
tibra1 is offline   No_Country
0
      06-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #47
hlmiii
Lieutenant
 
Drives: '11 1M '10 M5 '05 M3 '12 CRT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Houston

Posts: 407
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngnastyman View Post
But yea they pretty much told me to follow him. In Houston they won't do anything from a license plate, they need to stop the guy with you there as a witness for the charges to stick.
Don't know about this, at all ...

I've been involved in two hit + run situations in the past ten years here in Houston (one as driver, one as passenger).
I called 911 both times. I was told to make a SAFE attempt, if possible, to get the license plate and drive to the nearest station. I was given clear instruction to NOT get involved with the car/driver/situation.

In both situations a file was opened and the drivers/cars were located within a few weeks. I worked out a private arrangement with my situation, with the help of HPD. The other situation ended up with charges filed.

The story doesn't hang in other ways, either. The "witness" requirement is satisfied with the victim's report - it has to be taken, recorded and verified regardless of the particular circumstances. It doesn't make any difference that the victim actually meet the violator ...
hlmiii is offline   United_States
0
      06-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #48
KIS
Lieutenant
 
KIS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 C63 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Houston, Texas

Posts: 513
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
+1..So if someone wrecked into your car and you observed it..would you pull into a starbucks for a latte or would you give chase..seems the reason is clear and the chase absolutely necessary..

A chase is rarely necessary by someone other than an leo with lights and a siren. A wrecked car can be fixed, bullets in your chest, more difficult. In Houston it is reasonable to assume the asshole that hit you is armed. It is difficult for me to take the reasoned sensible approach........
KIS is offline   United_States
0
      06-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #49
DARK_M3
Banned
 
Drives: 08 E90, 89 Grand Wagoneer
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: So Cal

Posts: 1,294
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giccy View Post
Who's advocating for chases where it's not absolutely necessary and for no reason?
Police
DARK_M3 is offline  
0
      06-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #50
KIS
Lieutenant
 
KIS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 C63 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Houston, Texas

Posts: 513
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
Agree.. but just b/c the legal system is flawed we should choose not to participate in it?

I would think if hes in Texas..he has a right to arm himself..guy shows up to his house he calls the cops and if need be protects himself...

Anyways it seems OP only wanted his car fixed..I would sue the pants off the guy
I'm all for participating in the legal system, but I firmly believe protective orders are more of a feel good move. They don't stop people intent on hurting someone.
KIS is offline   United_States
0
      06-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #51
DARK_M3
Banned
 
Drives: 08 E90, 89 Grand Wagoneer
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: So Cal

Posts: 1,294
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
+1..So if someone wrecked into your car and you observed it..would you pull into a starbucks for a latte or would you give chase..seems the reason is clear and the chase absolutely necessary..
IDK.. the latte seems like it would be just the thing to sooth the nerves after an incident like that.

Citizens don't need to adopt a cowboy mentality. Cops already have the corner on that market.
DARK_M3 is offline  
0
      06-04-2012, 05:40 PM   #52
tibra1
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

Posts: 6,777
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK_M3 View Post
IDK.. the latte seems like it would be just the thing to sooth the nerves after an incident like that.

Citizens don't need to adopt a cowboy mentality. Cops already have the corner on that market.


Sorry I cant relate to that turn the other cheek mentality .I have gone off for someone tapping my bumper during a parking manuever..let alone someone wrecking into it...in NY the situation can be just as dangerous as any "red" state..IDK maybe I should try a latte instead
tibra1 is offline   No_Country
0
      06-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #53
DARK_M3
Banned
 
Drives: 08 E90, 89 Grand Wagoneer
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: So Cal

Posts: 1,294
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIS View Post
A chase is rarely necessary by someone other than an leo with lights and a siren. A wrecked car can be fixed, bullets in your chest, more difficult. In Houston it is reasonable to assume the asshole that hit you is armed. It is difficult for me to take the reasoned sensible approach........
Even then when danger to surrounding innocent people is imminent it becomes unnecessary (and oddly enough every time I see a high speed pursuit on tv, wouldn't you know it, innocent people all around).

I'm not saying I wouldn't have a hard time taking the sensible approach as well. I'm just saying that it is in fact, the sensible approach (observe and report.. much easier than bullets in chest )
DARK_M3 is offline  
0
      06-04-2012, 05:43 PM   #54
DARK_M3
Banned
 
Drives: 08 E90, 89 Grand Wagoneer
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: So Cal

Posts: 1,294
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post


Sorry I cant relate to that turn the other cheek metality .I have gone off for someone tapping my bumper during a parking manuever..let alone someone wrecking into it...in NY the situation can be just as dangerous as any "red" state..IDK maybe I should try a latte instead
Let's meet up for latte's. We will find latte zen together

On a side note about the turning the other cheek and relating to it... nobody can (me included). It's not in our (human) nature to do so. That's just some bullshit conjured up by religious zealots. Hence why we are always waring with someone right?

I mean I'm no saint. A lot more passive than I used to be but still human with that all too familiar human nature. Some douchebag was crossing the street too slow against a red light the other day and proceded to give me attitude when I gave the engine a little rev to say "move your fucking dumb ass out of my way or I will move it for you". I of course pulled the car over and got out to see if he wanted to grab a latte with me He didn't..

Last edited by DARK_M3; 06-04-2012 at 05:49 PM.
DARK_M3 is offline  
0
      06-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #55
tibra1
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

Posts: 6,777
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK_M3 View Post
Let's meet up for latte's. We will find latte zen together
My zen would be people leaving our cars alone..this stuff never seems to happen when I am driving my daily shit box..
tibra1 is offline   No_Country
0
      06-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #56
DARK_M3
Banned
 
Drives: 08 E90, 89 Grand Wagoneer
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: So Cal

Posts: 1,294
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
My zen would be people leaving our cars alone..this stuff never seems to happen when I am driving my daily shit box..
Yeah I hear you. I've been pretty fortunate with my M and other cars before the M. Nobody really screwed around with them. What kills me is that people that say they come out to their car and it's been spat upon! WTF?
DARK_M3 is offline  
0
      06-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #57
tibra1
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

Posts: 6,777
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK_M3 View Post
Some douchebag was crossing the street too slow against a red light the other day and proceded to give me attitude when I gave the engine a little rev to say "move your fucking dumb ass out of my way or I will move it for you". I of course pulled the car over and got out to see if he wanted to grab a latte with me He didn't..


Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK_M3 View Post
Yeah I hear you. I've been pretty fortunate with my M and other cars before the M. Nobody really screwed around with them. What kills me is that people that say they come out to their car and it's been spat upon! WTF?
Having this car for only 4 months now Im finding the level of hate the M draws is unparalleled...
tibra1 is offline   No_Country
0
      06-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #58
tibra1
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

Posts: 6,777
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
Try Porsche.... pick-up trucks went out of their way to f@ck with me.
I can see that..contrarily a good friend had a gallardo and got massive respect..will except for once where some chic decided to do a photoshoot over the hood of his car .....it really is a bizarre phenomenon how some cars are f@cked with more than others.
tibra1 is offline   No_Country
0
      06-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #59
S.hasan546
Captain
 
Drives: 1M, Exige, S2k, C250, Pilot
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island

Posts: 678
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
I can see that..contrarily a good friend had a gallardo and got massive respect..will except for once where some chic decided to do a photoshoot over the hood of his car .....it really is a bizarre phenomenon how some cars are f@cked with more than others.
i don't get messed with at all in either my exige or 1m. I actually got tons of bmw owners come up to me asking about the car (1M).

I got tons of douche bags in civics try to race me in my s2000 though
S.hasan546 is offline  
0
      06-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #60
Krozi
Deutsche Jung aus Kölle
 
Krozi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoFla - Bonita Springs

Posts: 2,702
iTrader: (21)

Fuckin' America

Doing work.
__________________

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Krozi is offline   Germany
0
      06-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #61
Stainless 45
Lieutenant
 
Stainless 45's Avatar
 
Drives: Last of the V-8 Interceptors
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Long Island, NY

Posts: 446
iTrader: (1)

Assuming the story is true, I think the OP exercised considerable restraint...
__________________
2011.5 LeMans Blue e92 DCT, ZCP, European Delivery. Black Edition Grilles, No Keyhole or Reflectors, Rear Fogs Enabled, Encore Innovation Exhaust, LUX Angel Eyes, 255x285's. "Last of the V-8 Interceptors, a real piece of history..."
Stainless 45 is offline  
0
      06-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #62
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
 
MDyDinanM's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: East Coast

Posts: 2,087
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [3.44]
Sheesh...amazing how some people on forums assume the worst in others and automatically assume they are lying.

The OP has nothing to gain from this story.

This story is certainly plausible.

While police would certainly not want a person to chase somebody down, if you all recall, the OP didn't indicate that it was a high speed or aggresive chase to the police and the cops/dispatcher likely assumed he was just following him presumably in a safe capacity.

Cops make mistakes too, which could be another factor in why they allowed the OP to follow the other driver.
__________________
Retired: '06 BMW E46 ///M3
Current: '08 BMW E60 DINAN ///M5, Interlagos Blue, SMG
DINAN Stage 2 Suspension, Exhaust, Stage III Software, Front strut braces,
Intakes, 13% Underdrive pulley, 3.91 Differential, RPI Scoops.
MDyDinanM is online now   United_States
0
      06-04-2012, 07:20 PM   #63
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
 
Singletrack's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 3,805
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngnastyman View Post
Had quite an adventure this weekend so please excuse me for ranting. This past Saturday I finally coughed up the dough and had a full service detail done to my car - claybar, wash, wax, sealant, full interior detail, the works. Anyhow later on that day my girlfriend and I were going out on the the town, and planned to hit up the quarterly BMW meet in Houston. On our way, some a-hole on the freeway in a Jeep Wrangler decides he wants to turn into my lane, and side swipes my car leaving a huge tire/rim mark on my door, rear quarterpanel and sideskirt. I tried to flag him down but the guy wouldn't stop. I even pulled up next to him, honked my horn and tried to get him to pull over and he just flicked a cigarette at me.

Then the chase began. I started following him and got 911 on the phone. I told them what happened and they connected me to the sergeant and they wanted me to stay behind him. The guy figured out I was following him and tried to evade me LOL. He was driving like a d-bag, cutting across lanes, running all over town over several different highways. Several times I thought the guy was going to wipe out and either hurt himself or someone else. I chased the guy for 30 minutes with the police close behind me. At one point, he smashed into a light pole, backed up, and kept going. Finally, he tried to sneak away and park in a grocery store parking lot, but I saw him go in there. Then he burns out of the parking lot and goes the WRONG WAY down a 1 way street. By this time there were 4 cop cars behind me and I pointed out where he went. Finally I could slow my role, I drove a few blocks and they had him cornered.

In hindsight, I still can't figure out why the guy was such a jackass and started running. If he had just stopped we would've just exchanged info and the police wouldn't have even had to get involved. I filed a claim with his insurance today, and the adjuster was even shocked to hear the story. I do wish I could have recorded some of the chase though - not every day you see a bright red M3 flying down a street c with 4 cop cars on his tail chasing down a douchebag in a jeep.
Haha; nice job. Usually 911 tells you to stop following.

He probably had no insurance and/or a warrant.
Singletrack is offline   United_States
0
      06-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #64
youngnastyman
Major
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SF Bay Area

Posts: 1,393
iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyaman
Sheesh...amazing how some people on forums assume the worst in others and automatically assume they are lying.

The OP has nothing to gain from this story.

This story is certainly plausible.

While police would certainly not want a person to chase somebody down, if you all recall, the OP didn't indicate that it was a high speed or aggresive chase to the police and the cops/dispatcher likely assumed he was just following him presumably in a safe capacity.

Cops make mistakes too, which could be another factor in why they allowed the OP to follow the other driver.
Thank you sir. Frankly i was expecting some trolls but I see no point in typing furiously away to prove im not lying to some guy on the Internet I don't even know.

Funny thing is the guy had insurance - damn good insurance - USAA. And I'm assuming he wasn't drunk and no warrants since they let him go.
youngnastyman is offline   United_States
0
      06-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #65
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
 
Singletrack's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 3,805
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngnastyman View Post
Thank you sir. Frankly i was expecting some trolls but I see no point in typing furiously away to prove im not lying to some guy on the Internet I don't even know.

Funny thing is the guy had insurance - damn good insurance - USAA. And I'm assuming he wasn't drunk and no warrants since they let him go.
Bizarre. People just flip out sometimes.
Singletrack is offline   United_States
0
      06-04-2012, 08:34 PM   #66
VMcV3y
Captain
 
VMcV3y's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 M3 Cabriolet
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Houston, Texas

Posts: 921
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngnastyman View Post
Had quite an adventure this weekend so please excuse me for ranting. This past Saturday I finally coughed up the dough and had a full service detail done to my car - claybar, wash, wax, sealant, full interior detail, the works. Anyhow later on that day my girlfriend and I were going out on the the town, and planned to hit up the quarterly BMW meet in Houston. On our way, some a-hole on the freeway in a Jeep Wrangler decides he wants to turn into my lane, and side swipes my car leaving a huge tire/rim mark on my door, rear quarterpanel and sideskirt. I tried to flag him down but the guy wouldn't stop. I even pulled up next to him, honked my horn and tried to get him to pull over and he just flicked a cigarette at me.

Then the chase began. I started following him and got 911 on the phone. I told them what happened and they connected me to the sergeant and they wanted me to stay behind him. The guy figured out I was following him and tried to evade me LOL. He was driving like a d-bag, cutting across lanes, running all over town over several different highways. Several times I thought the guy was going to wipe out and either hurt himself or someone else. I chased the guy for 30 minutes with the police close behind me. At one point, he smashed into a light pole, backed up, and kept going. Finally, he tried to sneak away and park in a grocery store parking lot, but I saw him go in there. Then he burns out of the parking lot and goes the WRONG WAY down a 1 way street. By this time there were 4 cop cars behind me and I pointed out where he went. Finally I could slow my role, I drove a few blocks and they had him cornered.

In hindsight, I still can't figure out why the guy was such a jackass and started running. If he had just stopped we would've just exchanged info and the police wouldn't have even had to get involved. I filed a claim with his insurance today, and the adjuster was even shocked to hear the story. I do wish I could have recorded some of the chase though - not every day you see a bright red M3 flying down a street c with 4 cop cars on his tail chasing down a douchebag in a jeep.


Where you on the 59/288 southbound ramp from IH-45? Saturday at about 7:45 pm, an M3 and a jeep, and a white car, went screaming around me. It was either a race or a chase or some other silliness.


.
__________________
2012 ///M3 Cabriolet; Le Mans Blue Metallic.

. . . .Munich . . . >. . . .Houston

When one wants a cabriolet, is there really any other choice than an M3? No. No, there's not.
VMcV3y is offline   United_States
0
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST