BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
BPM Sport
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #23
ES_TRADER
Colonel
 
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: OC

Posts: 2,532
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [5.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [4.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [5.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
Well Guys, I pulled out YELLOW #8 (marked 20 on the fuse) and LO AND BEHOLD:



Thanks to everyone who helped me diagnose this...case closed...ill be going to radioshack to get a few replacements in case it blows again.

If the outlet doesn't work after this, i may have bigger troubles
ES_TRADER is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #24
ES_TRADER
Colonel
 
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: OC

Posts: 2,532
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [5.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [4.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [5.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snig View Post
I believe it's fuse #8.
Thank you Sir, u are right, and saved me a boat load of trouble trying to figure out those German hieroglyphics...my whole mind went blank when i pulled out the chart to figure out which was which
ES_TRADER is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2012, 04:14 PM   #25
JohnnyRoaster
Captain
 
JohnnyRoaster's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 Jerez Black M3 Sedan
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Outside Beantown

Posts: 943
iTrader: (0)

The symbol appears to be a radio. Who would have guessed? It also lists a total of eight fuses. It would most likely be a 20 amp of which there are two under the radio symbol. 8 and 31. Glad you found it.
__________________
JohnnyRoaster is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #26
JohnnyRoaster
Captain
 
JohnnyRoaster's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 Jerez Black M3 Sedan
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Outside Beantown

Posts: 943
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman View Post
While this is good for BMWs bottom line I disagree with the concept as we use(d) a similarly placed outlet on other cars quite frequently. This particular car is hurt by the fact that the outlet in the console will not accept many chargers while allowing for the lid to close. IMO modern cars should have one in the console and the design should allow for the lid to close on most typical chargers for a start. Then there should be two accessible outlets outside of it up front and at least one in the back. We are living in a multi device world but only have one actual usable charging point without leaving the console lid open when two devices are active such as when I am using maps and my beloved is responding to or sending texts and the usb port is already occupied by a memory stick for music.
My car doesn't have the ashtray outlet. BMW did away with the smokers package on US cars for a short time during which my car was built. I use the one under the glove box fairly often. I also put two outlets in the back for the kids. Look up "happy robot diy" if you are interested.
__________________
JohnnyRoaster is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #27
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
 
mlhj83's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London

Posts: 1,029
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman View Post
While this is good for BMWs bottom line I disagree with the concept as we use(d) a similarly placed outlet on other cars quite frequently. This particular car is hurt by the fact that the outlet in the console will not accept many chargers while allowing for the lid to close. IMO modern cars should have one in the console and the design should allow for the lid to close on most typical chargers for a start. Then there should be two accessible outlets outside of it up front and at least one in the back. We are living in a multi device world but only have one actual usable charging point without leaving the console lid open when two devices are active such as when I am using maps and my beloved is responding to or sending texts and the usb port is already occupied by a memory stick for music.
Which is why it's available as an option for a relatively cheap price, and I chose it as I had a use for it, just like you if you had it.

If you owned a business, why would you offer customers something most won't use as standard. Isn't it better to offer it as an option for those who do?

The fact that the majority of 3-series on the used market, produced during the period where footwell socket is an option, do not have it specced, is indicative that most people don't need it.

Please note that I'm talking about the UK, and we get the ash tray and armrest socket as standard.

Last edited by mlhj83; 06-05-2012 at 07:50 PM.
mlhj83 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      06-07-2012, 05:00 PM   #28
TVMA Doc
Captain
 
TVMA Doc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, Jerez Black
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SF Bay

Posts: 673
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by estrader View Post
i tried it while running the engine, no power..but the light around the cig lighter does light up.

Also, my other bimmers work just fine w/o car running...just switch to ON position on the ignition and i get power to all devices
I think that the illumination comes from a different circuit. Check your fuse box schematic (owner's manual/fuse box itself) for the power outlet. It is very easy to change the fuses. They cost about 10 for $5.
TVMA Doc is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-07-2012, 08:32 PM   #29
crabman
Captain
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: WA

Posts: 669
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
Which is why it's available as an option for a relatively cheap price, and I chose it as I had a use for it, just like you if you had it.

If you owned a business, why would you offer customers something most won't use as standard. Isn't it better to offer it as an option for those who do?

The fact that the majority of 3-series on the used market, produced during the period where footwell socket is an option, do not have it specced, is indicative that most people don't need it.

Please note that I'm talking about the UK, and we get the ash tray and armrest socket as standard.
Were it available as an option (which it is not in my neck of the woods) I would still have a gripe because power outlets shouldn't be an upcharge. Surely BMW can at least try and keep up with assorted sub 25k Kias, chevys, fords, toyotas, etc. ?

I'm also not clear on where it was decided most don't need or want another outlet there? Can you please post your source for this? It seems to go against that fact that manufacturers are adding more and more of them over time across their entire lines. In my own personal experience outside of my regularly scheduled passenger in my short two months of M3 ownership I have had two others in the car and both searched for an outlet only to find there was only one that could be accessed without leaving the console lid open. Neither were particularly impressed and both laughed/made jokes about the idiots that actually put a power point in a position that would not allow for the console lid to close. Not that I blame them because I was right there with them. Lame is lame, and the power point setup in this car is exactly that, lame.
__________________
2012 E92 Space Grey with fox red/black/black, comp, premium, DCT, premium sound, sirius, heated seats.
crabman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST