BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

Stick to Clutch

02-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
FwdFtl
Volcano Knuckles

Drives: E60

China will own the U.S.A in....

15, 20, 30 years?...

What will life be like then? American flag hung next to a Chinese flag?

http://gov.ca.gov/home.php
FwdFtl is offline   United_States
      02-27-2012, 01:30 PM   #2
CamelBiscuit
Banned

Drives: 11 E92 335i

Garage List
2011 E92 335i  [5.00]
Nope. Never.
CamelBiscuit is offline   United_States
      02-27-2012, 01:38 PM   #3
CollinsE90
Where my bitches

Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

They're a producer, we're a consumer. Without us, they aren't. Generally speaking of course.
      02-27-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
Wakka
but no flokka

Drives: 2009 1er

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveQuick View Post
Nope. Never.
this

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Entourage sucks. BTM hates everything
Wakka is offline   United_States
      02-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #5
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...

Drives: 08 MR E92 M3

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
in your dreams....
      02-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
Q4P
Colonel

Drives: Too Much

Ingenuity...

without foreign investment, they can create very little that people outside of China will want. When was the last time you say a fully created, invented and sold solid Chinese product? The answer is never... they are copiers and mass producers off simple plans, anyone can do that, they just have the labor force.
      02-27-2012, 01:59 PM   #7
M3_WC
Colonel

Drives: M3

Not until they have real bathrooms and are not sh*tting in holes in the floor.
      02-27-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
FwdFtl
Volcano Knuckles

So we (the U.S) can shut ourselves off from 1/6 of the human race (China) and still survive? I don't think so

p.s. I think this is the wrong section
      02-27-2012, 02:26 PM   #9
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)

Drives: C7 Stringray

Send a message via AIM to Greenkirby21
ni hao
      02-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #10
KingOfJericho
Major General

Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
You went from "when will they own us?" to shutting them off a little too quickly. It's not black and white but I can tell you that the extremely rapid growth is slowing down in China, although they have zero transparency with their economic data so even if they head into a recession, they will not make it public.

2010 S4 Current | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Retired
KingOfJericho is offline   United_States
      02-27-2012, 02:44 PM   #11
Maestro
Captain

Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
They're a producer, we're a consumer. Without us, they aren't. Generally speaking of course.

This more true than not, back in the 80's japan had huge investment in the US and today they are still trying to recover from being too reliant on the US for their wealth and income. When the us economy go south any country who is overly dependent on the US get hurt far worse then the US. The US tend to recover far faster since we are not dependent on other countries that much, other than for oil, but we have war ships to solve that problem.

Anyway let them invest in the US, we can use their money on failed enterprises which burn more cash and never produce a thing.

Last edited by Maestro; 02-28-2012 at 11:47 AM.
      02-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #12
FwdFtl
Volcano Knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
You went from "when will they own us?" to shutting them off a little too quickly. It's not black and white but I can tell you that the extremely rapid growth is slowing down in China, although they have zero transparency with their economic data so even if they head into a recession, they will not make it public.
That was in response to a majority of the "it won't happen" comments. Bacially, to indicate without China we might come crawling back, which then leads to massive pwnage from China again. Perpetual motion.

I only pointed this topic out based on the mere fact that if China doesn't produce, then where will a majority of U.S.' consumer spending go? Maybe we need them and they need us.
      02-27-2012, 03:01 PM   #13
achien
AC

Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

that's what they say about the Japanese back in the late 80's. you know what happened since...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwdFtl View Post
15, 20, 30 years?...

What will life be like then? American flag hung next to a Chinese flag?

http://gov.ca.gov/home.php
Not anymore, have you heard of the popular 'exotic shopping trips' these Chinese consumers take to France, Italy, England? Where each tourist can spend $10k USD per shop without blinking (not to mentioned, cash-only)?

Obama is trying to cash in on this too by offering tourist friendly visas to the Chinese now.

Quote:
the reality is it will be somewhere in between.
      02-27-2012, 05:16 PM   #14
S1000RR Drag Racer
Private

Drives: '11 S1000RR,'01 330i,'08 328ci

Thanks to our previous President George W. Bush who started the trend of borrowing money from China, if we don't dig ourselves out of this hole we are in we will be known as "The People's Republic of The United States of America".
S1000RR Drag Racer is offline   United_States
      02-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #15
Joekerr
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Quote:

Sure, sure...provided everyone continues to buy into the belief that the printed American dollar is worth more than the paper it is printed on. Of course, if that tanks and the US decides to print money, well, they won't be too eager to sell to you guys. Which will certainly hurt them as they would rely on exporting to the US, but not as badly as it would hurt the US.
      02-27-2012, 05:42 PM   #16
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka

Drives: Exceptionally well :)

Here's a question.... should china shut off exports to the usa, does that mean american owned companies who produce items in china can't get their product back to the usa?

I'm sure that like every other American i'm quite ignorant to the actual quantity of goods that are imported from china. But it does seem to me that they are typically useless consumer goods and food items. But even the food items aren't the staples that we would depend on to feed ourselves.

I know that in my industry made in China is a bad thing, but with Mr Chow's kids only being paid $0.15 a day to manufacture all of it, price becomes king. If the price advantage was only marginal, our industry would really push the buy American mantra.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Mr Tonka is offline   United_States
      02-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #17
Couper93

Drives: X5 4.8i

We said the same thing about Japan in the early to late 90's....
Once they lend us all their money....China's bubble (tea) will pop....
      02-27-2012, 05:53 PM   #18
CollinsE90
Where my bitches

Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Sure, sure...provided everyone continues to buy into the belief that the printed American dollar is worth more than the paper it is printed on. Of course, if that tanks and the US decides to print money, well, they won't be too eager to sell to you guys. Which will certainly hurt them as they would rely on exporting to the US, but not as badly as it would hurt the US.
They would of quit lending a long time ago if they thought that would happen any time soon. They know our potential and our value other than a few imports. Without us, the entire world wouldn't function the same.
      04-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #19
Carmon101
Registered

Drives: BMW

There probably wouldn't be an American Flag hung at all. If China were to take over the US it wouldn't be done happily. For anyone - they probably would be really angry in the process and anything like hanging a flag of equal potential in status would be out of the question.
      06-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #20
Nick the Greek
Major

Drives: F30 328i MSport

Given that China owns $1.1 trillion of US govt debt surely they already own large chunks of your country....

06-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #21
JesterEXW
Private First Class

Drives: 2009 335i, Space Gray / Black

I find this scenario to be unlikely. Over 80% of China's goods are consumed by the US and Western Europe, they have virtually no internal demand. That being said were they ever to call in our debt to sabotage our economy or use any other means they would essentially be signing their own death sentence (economically). The two real questions for China are one of the near and one of the distant future:

Near future: How will Western Europe's impending financial crisis effect their consumer base?

Distant Future: How will the Chinese youth deal with the oppressive Communist regime? In a world in which information is increasingly accessible China is already having a difficult time quelling the masses, this problem will only grow. Add to that the disparity of living conditions and vast poverty, it is only a matter of time until there is a demand for change internally.

Just my 2 cents, it's interesting how entwined we all are now with this global economy.
JesterEXW is offline   United_States
      06-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #22
Small Yellow
Track Addict

Drives: 2010 BMW M3 E92 | 2008 Z4M E86

I doubt the flag thing but those saying consumer and producer thing think about it this way. America was not always the consumer. It was a producer for itself and other countries for awhile ago. I am not from china but what I think is after awhile China will start producing their own products and perhaps they may even create quality products to sell the world. Its not like they arent getting more powerful and only produce. They are becoming rich while producing. They have kids here learning things from us and taking it home to replicate. I get the feeling when given the chance china will be much more powerful than the United States but it wont be anytime soon.
BMW //M Coupe
November 4, 2013
Small Yellow is offline   Taiwan