BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EclipsisNA

06-02-2012, 11:34 PM   #1
signes
Brigadier General

Drives: E90 M3

Rear pads wearing faster than fronts

I didn't get the exact thickness but looks like the rears are wearing almost twice as fast. This is for the OEM pads. I have an 08 E90 with about 42k miles, and only two sessions on the OEM pads (and didn't really push it for those.) Judging by the wear rate I should get another 4-5k miles out of the rears, but still really surprised by the relative wear rate compared to the fronts. Anybody else have this experience? Anybody know the stock brake bias (roughly)?
signes is offline   United_States
      06-03-2012, 02:45 AM   #2
VCP
Lieutenant

Drives: beep beep

the dsc/mdm uses a couple different things to keep you from the wall or ditch. one is the brakes this could explain the wear difference the rear brakes are used to control slip angle and wheel spin. dsc always doing something even in daily driving. just my two cents
VCP is offline   Canada
      06-03-2012, 08:51 AM   #3
Porschefile
Major

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCMperformance View Post
the dsc/mdm uses a couple different things to keep you from the wall or ditch. one is the brakes this could explain the wear difference the rear brakes are used to control slip angle and wheel spin. dsc always doing something even in daily driving. just my two cents
Definitely this if you ran MDM. I ran MDM for my first event at Barber (usually run DSC off) and I ran through twice as much rear pad as front. Switched to DSC off for VIR and rear wear was much lower. But I still run MDM in rain and low traction situations on track, not worth risking my car to try to save the rear pads!

Regarding bias, I "heard" that the car has too much front bias stock and should be switched slightly rearward for an all out track car but I do not know that as fact. The fact that members here have successfully used front BBK with stock rears and used stock rear pads without melting them leads me to believe that the bias is too front heavy with a BBK in front and rears stock, if not front heavy bone stock.
      06-03-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
paradocs98
Major

Drives: 2014 991 Carrera S

Have you been doing the daily commute and/or track sessions in reverse?

Seriously, though, very interesting topic. I don't think I appreciated just how much DSC could wear down the rear pads. I run with DSC fully off when on the track (except for wet conditions), and my front pads wear much faster than the rears. This has been the case with both StopTech Street Performance pads all-around and Pagid RS29s all-around.
paradocs98 is offline   United_States
      06-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
signes
Brigadier General

Completely forgot about the role DSC plays. I assume four winters of daily driving (and lots of fun...) might have something to do with it.

Agree on the point about bias, on the track under higher loads than steer driving it doesn't seem balanced. One more reason why I was surprised by the difference in wear.
      06-03-2012, 03:57 PM   #6
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 6|Ridge 1:54:61|Pacific 1:35:72

Drives: Race car->

yeah i find that strange. i have the opposite, or double the wear of the fronts. i work the car very hard and usually use mdm but it must not be intervening much cause im so smooth!

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings & bearings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW race|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
1MOREMOD is offline   United_States
      06-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #7
bigjae1976
Takes threads off topic...daily

Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Its probably your MDM. I have issues on track out/exit. Especially on faster corners where you want a little bit of slip angle and throttle to set the rear end and not go off track. Then MDM starts braking the rears and kills your speed.

Yeah, I can imagine if you are not smooth then MDM must be smoking your rear brakes.

Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
      06-05-2012, 12:30 AM   #8
signes
Brigadier General

As I said only two sessions on the stockers, the rest have been PFC01. So this has to be from winter driving. I usually use MDM in the snow as is allows for more wheel slip from start (allows the snow tires to work better) and also allows for more fun...
      06-05-2012, 12:56 AM   #9
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 6|Ridge 1:54:61|Pacific 1:35:72

Drives: Race car->

yeah that will do it. tons of wheel spin in every corner in the snow and mdm is trying to save you and cooking your brakes.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings & bearings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW race|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
1MOREMOD is offline   United_States
      06-05-2012, 06:17 AM   #10
Bubbles
Green Bastard

Drives: ZCP-Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
front pads wear much faster than the rears. This has been the case with both StopTech Street Performance pads all-around and Pagid RS29s all-around.
+1 front pads wear three times as fast as my rear pads.
      06-05-2012, 08:32 AM   #11
TXmtrhed
First Lieutenant

Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Its probably your MDM. I have issues on track out/exit. Especially on faster corners where you want a little bit of slip angle and throttle to set the rear end and not go off track. Then MDM starts braking the rears and kills your speed.
I was using MDM mode at TWS this past weekend with an instructor in the car. This was the first time I ran there going CW. We could hear a rear brake being applied (PFC01 squeal) on corner exit out of 1 onto the front straight (increasing radius, 100mph+). The instructor looked over and could see the MDM light flashing away. When I got home and swapped back to the OEM pads I noticed that the paint on the rear calipers (near the anti-rattle spring) was flaking away from the heat. Even with this amount of rear brake application the fronts are still wearing faster.

Last run of the day was with DSC off and though I was more careful and didn't drive as hard the car drove much better on corner exit.