BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Bimmerworld

01-31-2012, 03:18 AM   #1
yyoo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 DCT

StopTech Trophy Race vs Sport

I'm thinking of getting the StopTech Trophy BBK, but am not sure which one: the Trophy Race or the Trophy Sport.

My M3 is my daily driver, but it will also see about 20 track days this year.

Are there folks using the Trophy Race on their daily driver? Any regrets?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
I'm only aware of one Trophy kit for the M3.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 10:24 AM   #3
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
I'm only aware of one Trophy kit for the M3.
No they have both

But no one gets race from what I've heard

Don't get race unless you, well, race the car....

Get sport.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
THE TECH
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
No they have both

But no one gets race from what I've heard

Don't get race unless you, well, race the car....

Get sport.
Interesting. Is it just a pad difference?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 10:54 AM   #5
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Interesting. Is it just a pad difference?
Quote:
StopTech® Trophy Race Big Brake Kits®
Designed specifically for motorsports competition and dedicated track cars. Unique to the Trophy Race Big Brake System is full-floating mounting hardware, which eliminates pad knock-back, and the elimination of the dust boots in the caliper. Together, these technologies optimize the brake system to provide improved performance and consistent pedal feedback under the unique combination of hard cornering and braking found on the track. Trophy Race Big Brake Kits are the ultimate in racing performance, with numerous wins and championships in World Challenge, Grand-Am, NASA and SCCA racing.
Quote:
StopTech® Trophy Sport Big Brake Kits®
Intended for ultra-high performance street use. They are designed for street driven production vehicles. The Trophy Sport Big Brake Kits use the same STR calipers, AeroRotors® and AeroHats® found in the full-race Trophy Kits, but add silicone dust boots for extended service intervals and anti-rattle rotor mounting hardware for quieter operation. They also include StopTech® Street Performance Brake Pads for high performance street and occasional track use. Trophy Sport Big Brake Kits are the ultimate street braking system.

Any StopTech® Brake Kit can be ordered as a Trophy Race or Trophy Sport(street) kit simply by specifying it on your order.
from their website
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 10:56 AM   #6
THE TECH
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Gotcha. Seems like a minor difference between the two with the pads probably making the biggest difference.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 11:51 AM   #7
Richard@M-World
United_States
Rep
Drives: NASA TTA #92 M3

Race uses full float discs (you can special order them for sport version too). But do know that they will make clicking noises at low speeds.

Race also does not use dust boots.
      01-31-2012, 11:52 AM   #8
THE TECH
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard@M-World View Post
Race uses full float discs (you can special order them for sport version too). But do know that they will make clicking noises at low speeds.

Race also does not use dust boots.
Yes, as noted above.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 12:05 PM   #9
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

I still can't figure out why there's a Trophy kit.
Brakes are one area where less mass is not necessarily a good thing.
They're about $1,200 more too- that's a lot of brake pads you could be getting.
Some have had issues with the bolts rusting and the finish fading quickly with the Trophy kits. Hope it's sorted out by now.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 01:26 PM   #10
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Some have had issues with the bolts rusting and the finish fading quickly with the Trophy kits. Hope it's sorted out by now.

There are circumstances where the Trophy kit makes sense, but it's pretty specialized. As you noted, the finish is not robust against chemical damage, although heat doesn't seem to affect it at all. If you are racing with the Trophy Racing setup, then you're ducted. Once you have ducts the whole equation changes - if you get overheating, get bigger ducts. Or, as we've seen in photos on this forum, get two ducts - one for the caliper and one for the rotor.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 06:32 PM   #11
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Good point about the ducts!!
Obviously changes things a lot.

I've wondered why there are not fins on calipers like on an air cooled motorcycle.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."

Last edited by aus; 01-31-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 07:01 PM   #12
yyoo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post

That raises a new question. Should I bother with the Trophy kit? Does it offer any real advantages over the standard kit at the track?

Last edited by yyoo; 01-31-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 07:23 PM   #13
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyoo View Post
That raises a new question. Should I bother with the Trophy kit? Does it offer any real advantages over the standard kit at the track?
if you have the $...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 09:17 PM   #14
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, when you figure out why you'd get them, please share it with me.
The Race kit is different, but has no dust boots and most people don't want to rebuild the caliper intermittently.

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 10:31 PM   #15
HP Autosport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Quote:
I'm thinking of getting the StopTech Trophy BBK, but am not sure which one: the Trophy Race or the Trophy Sport.

My M3 is my daily driver, but it will also see about 20 track days this year.

Are there folks using the Trophy Race on their daily driver? Any regrets?
Both Trophy BBK's are available.

If you drive on the street at all, you will want the Trophy Sport as the Race is meant for race only. Unless you can handle all the clicking and rattle from the brake system.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 04:00 PM   #16
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Hate to bump a super old thread, but how much extra noise is generated by the full floating rotor on the "Race" version compared to the "Sport" version?

What circumstances does the noise typically arise?
      04-17-2015, 04:13 PM   #17
Richbot
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

I have dust boots on my STR40 calipers, but my 355x35 rotors said "Race" on them. I hear an occasionaly click or ping from them on the street when coming to a stop, or starting off.
      04-18-2015, 01:56 AM   #18
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
I have dust boots on my STR40 calipers, but my 355x35 rotors said "Race" on them. I hear an occasionaly click or ping from them on the street when coming to a stop, or starting off.
Thanks, Rich. How loud and how often do you notice it? Is it anything you found annoying?
      04-18-2015, 08:10 AM   #19
surlynkid
Major
Rep

Garage List
I have the race hardware on my rotors. It allows axial movement of the rotors as they heat/cool. The little bit of clicking at low speeds is not an issue to me. You can hear it at low speeds though. Really low - like 5-10mph. If you track the car, they are worth it and no cost difference. My car comes off the track with the front rotors smoking. If you are a poser, just get those plastic covers that fit over your calipers that mimic a BBK and save your $$$.
Stoptech 380mm/355mm | PFC08 / Pagid RS-29 | Akrapovic EVO - CF tips | Benvo Tune | MS UDP | AA air filter | MCS 2-way with 700/1000lb springs | Solid bushings and adjustable links | RD front swaybar | Apex EC-7 18x10 square 275/35-18 NT01 | Turner Race Studs | GT4 Brake Cooling | GT4 Power Steering Cooling | Alekshop Oil Cooler | Performance Steering Wheel | | CF Spoiler | Varis System 1 Full CF Diffuser | Extended Paddle Shifters | Schroth Quick Fit Pro | Turner Steering Rack Stops | Vorshlag Camber Plates
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 12:24 PM   #20
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlynkid View Post
I have the race hardware on my rotors. It allows axial movement of the rotors as they heat/cool. The little bit of clicking at low speeds is not an issue to me. You can hear it at low speeds though. Really low - like 5-10mph. If you track the car, they are worth it and no cost difference. My car comes off the track with the front rotors smoking. If you are a poser, just get those plastic covers that fit over your calipers that mimic a BBK and save your $$$.
Thanks for the response. Sounds (pun not intended) like its a minor thing.

I always thought radial float was to accommodate expansion from heat, while axial float was designed to reduce/eliminate knockback, and that the noise associated with the "Race" version was due to the amount of axial float those rotors offer.

No posing here. Contemplating a move to a BBK that will enhance my tracking experience by reducing cost of consumables and making maintenance easier, with on-track performance that will meet or exceed my current setup, but without too terrible of street manners.
      04-18-2015, 12:33 PM   #21
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Things have changed a lot over the last few years. Real "race" kits these days have stainless steel or titanium piston tops, no dust boots, and no anti-rattle hardware on the rotors or in the caliper. I have the Brembo Club Race kit on my GT500 and they clunk and bang every time I go over a bump. There's a wide range of race pads available for them but nobody makes street pads that fit. Well, almost - Carbotech will make them in a size that's close enough that fits the caliper but not the rotor, but that's about it.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 06:58 PM   #22
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
Thanks for the response. Sounds (pun not intended) like its a minor thing.

I always thought radial float was to accommodate expansion from heat, while axial float was designed to reduce/eliminate knockback, and that the noise associated with the "Race" version was due to the amount of axial float those rotors offer.

No posing here. Contemplating a move to a BBK that will enhance my tracking experience by reducing cost of consumables and making maintenance easier, with on-track performance that will meet or exceed my current setup, but without too terrible of street manners.
Ease of maintenance, yes. Reducing cost, not really. Replacement parts cost more especially pads. Supposedly, the larger ST-60 pads should have longer life than the ST-40, but the ST-60 pads are more expensive.
Appreciate 0