BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

05-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
Gamoto
Private First Class

Drives: 08 E93 M3 6MT/13 335ix/ 13 X3/

Bad week for Barry

By: Mike Flynn

It's only Tuesday, but it has already been a terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad week for the Obama campaign. Saddled with increasingly bad economic data, the campaign has been doggedly trying to change the subject to anything other than jobs and deficits. We've been treated to a mythical GOP "war on women", a "debate" on birth control, a "road to Damascus" moment on gay marriage, an "expose" of Romney "bullying" in high school, and the burning question of who is a better pet owner. Unfortunately for Obama and his allies in the media, none of it is working.

Yesterday's CBS/NYT poll makes it very clear that voters care about only one thing: The Economy. The only other issues that registers in the double-digits? Government spending and deficits--not exactly a winning issue for Obama. Not only do voters not care about the social issues Obama and the media are fixated on, there are signs that focus is backfiring. The biggest shift in voter sentiment in the CBS poll was among women, who, in just one month, shifted their support from Obama to Romney. In April, Obama had led Romney by six points among women. Today, women prefer Romney by two points.

More troubling for the White House is that 67% of registered voters believe his "conversion" on gay marriage, which sent coastal hearts aflutter, was based solely on politics, rather than any personal conviction. This is damning for a politicians whose meteoric rise was based largely on his being "above" politics. It is an Exocet missile to his entire political narrative.

All that said, it's what the Obama campaign tried to do proactively yesterday that convinces me they are in full panic.

Yesterday, the Obama campaign tried to attack Romney's business experience with an ad focusing on steelworkers who lost their job when their company, GST Steel, went bankrupt. GST Steel was controlled by Romney's former firm, Bain Capital. The story of GST Steel has already been told at least twice; by Ted Kennedy in 1994 and Newt Gingrich in this year's primary. Every time, it has been pointed out that the bankruptcy occurred two years AFTER Romney left Bain Capital. So, as hits go, its pretty weak stuff.

It was the opening salvo in what is expected to be a sustained attack on Romney's experience in private equity. So, what did Obama do after he launched this attack on private equity? He, of course, jetted to New York for a fundraiser with private equity traders. Natch!

05-15-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
128vertinnoho
Private First Class

Drives: 2012 128iC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamoto View Post

It's only Tuesday, but it has already been a terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad week for the Obama campaign. Saddled with increasingly bad economic data, the campaign has been doggedly trying to change the subject to anything other than jobs and deficits. We've been treated to a mythical GOP "war on women", a "debate" on birth control, a "road to Damascus" moment on gay marriage, an "expose" of Romney "bullying" in high school, and the burning question of who is a better pet owner. Unfortunately for Obama and his allies in the media, none of it is working.

Yesterday's CBS/NYT poll makes it very clear that voters care about only one thing: The Economy. The only other issues that registers in the double-digits? Government spending and deficits--not exactly a winning issue for Obama. Not only do voters not care about the social issues Obama and the media are fixated on, there are signs that focus is backfiring. The biggest shift in voter sentiment in the CBS poll was among women, who, in just one month, shifted their support from Obama to Romney. In April, Obama had led Romney by six points among women. Today, women prefer Romney by two points.

More troubling for the White House is that 67% of registered voters believe his "conversion" on gay marriage, which sent coastal hearts aflutter, was based solely on politics, rather than any personal conviction. This is damning for a politicians whose meteoric rise was based largely on his being "above" politics. It is an Exocet missile to his entire political narrative.

All that said, it's what the Obama campaign tried to do proactively yesterday that convinces me they are in full panic.

Yesterday, the Obama campaign tried to attack Romney's business experience with an ad focusing on steelworkers who lost their job when their company, GST Steel, went bankrupt. GST Steel was controlled by Romney's former firm, Bain Capital. The story of GST Steel has already been told at least twice; by Ted Kennedy in 1994 and Newt Gingrich in this year's primary. Every time, it has been pointed out that the bankruptcy occurred two years AFTER Romney left Bain Capital. So, as hits go, its pretty weak stuff.

It was the opening salvo in what is expected to be a sustained attack on Romney's experience in private equity. So, what did Obama do after he launched this attack on private equity? He, of course, jetted to New York for a fundraiser with private equity traders. Natch!

The only poll that counts is the one taken the first Tuesday of November 2012. Polls this far out are meaningless. And why didn't you post the source of this opinion piece?

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...-off-the-rails
128vertinnoho is offline   United_States
      05-15-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
Sidney
Dishonorably discharged

Drives: 2011 e90 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128vertinnoho View Post
The only poll that counts is the one taken the first Tuesday of November 2012. Polls this far out are meaningless. And why didn't you post the source of this opinion piece?

Yeah go to Huffington post for reliable info.
      05-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #4
Gamoto
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128vertinnoho
Quote:

I did.......
      05-15-2012, 09:17 PM   #5
Gamoto
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128vertinnoho
Quote:

Oh yeah that awesome Newsweek cover will put him over the top.......heck with the economy we have our 1st Gay President yey!!!!!!!
      05-15-2012, 10:59 PM   #6
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
Look kids, more article regurgitation from the right-wingers here on the board. Surprise surprise surprise.

Do any of you wing nuts have an original thought of your own?
      05-16-2012, 07:31 AM   #7
Gamoto
Private First Class

Typical lefty.....When presented facts and logic you don't agree with yet can't dispute resort to name calling. I just posted an article that I feel very accurately concludes how the left is trying to distract america from the real issues and america is not buying it.
      05-16-2012, 07:58 AM   #8
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
Quote:
Typical lefty.....When presented facts and logic you don't agree with yet can't dispute resort to name calling. I just posted an article that I feel very accurately concludes how the left is trying to distract america from the real issues and america is not buying it.
Typical right wing nutter, can't come up with his own opinions, just comes in to regurgitate the ideas of others. Nice job sheeple.
      05-16-2012, 08:16 AM   #9
EvosM3
Banned

Drives: WTB E90 M3

The democratic machine only wants to focus on social issues because they have had no economic accomplishments. Obama rallied in 2008 on cutting the deficit in half and if he couldn't then he should be a one term proposition. Well that's not working out too well with him. Oh wait, he's just going to blame the rich even though he's in the top 0.0001%.
      05-16-2012, 08:40 AM   #10
ScotchAndCigar
Banned

Drives: 2011 128i space gray vert

Quote:
I just posted an article that I feel very accurately concludes how the left is trying to distract america from the real issues and america is not buying it.
No, you just created a slanderous thread to repost someone else's right-wing opinion piece. You don't think I can post 100 new threads from dozens of sites that basically support the opposite opinion?

The repub candidates spent a year parading around the country talking about christianity, outlawing abortion and birth control and same-sex marriage, going into Iran, colonizing the moon, building border fences, arresting those who look Mexican, reversing healthcare reform, and on and on. And now you need to post someone else's declaration that the American people are so stupid, they don't understand that a president can do or speak about more than one thing.

How are people like you not hiding in a hole after that pathetically embarrassing primary, where the only electable candidate was so unpopular that every candidate other than him was a frontrunner for a month at a time? The tea party was such a failure it nearly destroyed the GOP. What a waste of time they spent with Palin, and Bachmann, and Trump, and Perry, and Cain, and Gingrich, and Santorum. What a bunch of fools wasting the American taxpayer's time and money.

Are you so opposed to gay people having equal rights that you need to start a thread just to complain about the president's comments? Why don't you stop hiding behind these right-wing bloggers and speak for yourself?
ScotchAndCigar is offline   United_States
      05-16-2012, 08:42 AM   #11
ScotchAndCigar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvosM3 View Post
The democratic machine only wants to focus on social issues because they have had no economic accomplishments.
The economy's been improving steadily for years, get over it.
      05-16-2012, 09:02 AM   #12
Gamoto
Private First Class

A CBS / NYT poll is slanderous. The fact that after his attack on private equity he went to fund raiser hosted by private equity bankers is slanderous. His obvious ploys to distract us all from his failed policies are pathetic.
      05-16-2012, 09:25 AM   #13
ScotchAndCigar
Banned

Quote:
A CBS / NYT poll is slanderous. The fact that after his attack on private equity he went to fund raiser hosted by private equity bankers is slanderous. His obvious ploys to distract us all from his failed policies are pathetic.
Yeah, I'm just an idiot, I'm calling facts slanderous. How bout your thread title, and your comments, and the blogger's comments? The only pathetic ploys are how often you say the phrase "failed policies". Stop the Fox news talking points and actually say something.
      05-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #14
mspeasl
Sixties Drag Racer

Drives: 2011 Cashmere Silver 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotchAndCigar View Post
Yeah, I'm just an idiot, I'm calling facts slanderous. How bout your thread title, and your comments, and the blogger's comments? The only pathetic ploys are how often you say the phrase "failed policies". Stop the Fox news talking points and actually say something.
How's this for saying something. If your guy Was so damm good, why must you and folks like you have to continually defend him?
1957 - Chevrolet Bel Air 2dr Coupe' Drag Car (2nd Owner since 1964)
1947 - Chevrolet Sport Master Coupe' Street Rod (2nd Owner since 1974)
mspeasl is offline   United_States
      05-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #15
ScotchAndCigar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspeasl View Post
How's this for saying something. If your guy Was so damm good, why must you and folks like you have to continually defend him?
Because "folks like you" keep starting stupid threads. And by the way, "saying something" means stating a fact, or making one's own argument. It doesn't mean asking me a question. You still haven't said anything, but I see you're still starting stupid threads.
      05-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #16
Sidney
Dishonorably discharged

Drives: 2011 e90 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbook View Post
Look kids, more article regurgitation from the right-wingers here on the board. Surprise surprise surprise.

Do any of you wing nuts have an original thought of your own?
Jesus H that's funny coming from the land of fruits and nuts
      05-16-2012, 08:28 PM   #17
mspeasl
Sixties Drag Racer

Drives: 2011 Cashmere Silver 528i

Quote:
Because "folks like you" keep starting stupid threads. And by the way, "saying something" means stating a fact, or making one's own argument. It doesn't mean asking me a question. You still haven't said anything, but I see you're still starting stupid threads.
Stop the spin BS and answer the damm question.
1957 - Chevrolet Bel Air 2dr Coupe' Drag Car (2nd Owner since 1964)
1947 - Chevrolet Sport Master Coupe' Street Rod (2nd Owner since 1974)
mspeasl is offline   United_States
      05-16-2012, 09:31 PM   #18
EvosM3
Banned

Drives: WTB E90 M3

It sure is a bad week for Barry. His budget proposal didn't get a SINGLE vote in all of congress. Not one, and you trust this guy with our economy.
      05-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #19
ScotchAndCigar
Banned

Quote:
If your guy Was so damm good, why must you and folks like you have to continually defend him?
Quote:
Because "folks like you" keep starting stupid threads.
Quote:
Stop the spin BS and answer the damm question.
Try actually reading my posts instead of repeatedly misspelling "damn" for no good reason.
      05-17-2012, 01:00 PM   #20
OldArmy
Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvosM3 View Post
It sure is a bad week for Barry. His budget proposal didn't get a SINGLE vote in all of congress. Not one, and you trust this guy with our economy.
Isn't he 0 for 3 on budgets, each one more calculated than the last? He's not serious about changing anything, not the total deficit, not the rate of growth of same, not in cutting anybody, nothing. He is a cold and calculating political creature who started running for reelection the day he was sworn it. It's disgraceful conduct. Everybody understands now but the next debt ceiling raise may be the stopping point.
OldArmy is offline   United_States
      05-17-2012, 10:19 PM   #21
128vertinnoho
Private First Class

Drives: 2012 128iC

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldArmy View Post
Isn't he 0 for 3 on budgets, each one more calculated than the last? He's not serious about changing anything, not the total deficit, not the rate of growth of same, not in cutting anybody, nothing. He is a cold and calculating political creature who started running for reelection the day he was sworn it. It's disgraceful conduct. Everybody understands now but the next debt ceiling raise may be the stopping point.
I really hope the cons in Congress go that route. It will be the final nail in their coffin.
128vertinnoho is offline   United_States
      06-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #22
JesterEXW
Private First Class

Drives: 2009 335i, Space Gray / Black

Come on guys, I think we all realistically know that Romney has a slim chance of winning this election. I still am up on the air on who to vote for, I was a big supporter of Huntsman but that hope is long buried so who knows now. Anyhow, Obama will have another 4 years....whether you love, hate or don't really care about him that's the plausible scenario. No amount of articles you pull from Fox is going to change that.
JesterEXW is offline   United_States