BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
E92 Lighting
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-02-2015, 02:21 PM   #1
Brian_Fantana
Private First Class
Brian_Fantana's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
187
Posts

Drives: 09 Alpine white E90 M3 DCT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Gig harbor wa

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [0.00]
Stiffening EDC without lowering?

Is this possible? My offset on my wheels causes me to rub over bumps even in sport+. My offset I'm not quite sure on but I know it's more then my stock 220m set up was with 12mm spacers. It's whatever Forgestar decided to do with a 9.5 rear setup.

I'm not looking to go lower just firm things up a bit.
__________________
They've done studies, you know. Sixty percent of the time, it works every time. ~ Brian Fantana
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 02:40 PM   #2
NoSHAM3
Second Lieutenant
NoSHAM3's Avatar
No_Country
21
Rep
277
Posts

Drives: a gas guzzler
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: 5252

iTrader: (3)

You might be able to do a coilover sleeve kit, like the KW HAS, and keep it at stock height. I am not positive if that is possible or if the KW kit uses stiffer springs but that is the only thing I can think of for going stiffer without lowering.
__________________

Suck/Squeeze/Bang/Blow
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 02:47 PM   #3
Brian_Fantana
Private First Class
Brian_Fantana's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
187
Posts

Drives: 09 Alpine white E90 M3 DCT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Gig harbor wa

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSHAM3
You might be able to do a coilover sleeve kit, like the KW HAS, and keep it at stock height. I am not positive if that is possible or if the KW kit uses stiffer springs but that is the only thing I can think of for going stiffer without lowering.
That would be an awesome solution, but I think the sleeve kit drops you just a little, but I could be wrong. This is what I found.



KW's latest offering to the suspension market is perfect for those looking to dial in their ride height without making the switch to a full coil over suspension system. The unique design allows for each corner to be individually adjustable, making it possible to drop your BMW to the exact ride height you desire.

Features:
- Individual ride height adjustment
- 100% Compatible with EDC equipped models

Approximate Front/Rear Lowering:
Front: -0.6" to 1.2"
Rear: -0.2" to 1.2"
__________________
They've done studies, you know. Sixty percent of the time, it works every time. ~ Brian Fantana
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 01:09 AM   #4
BzsBimmer
2-4-6-8 My car and house depreciate
BzsBimmer's Avatar
United_States
78
Rep
2,528
Posts

Drives: 2010 E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Modesto CA

iTrader: (15)

Send a message via Yahoo to BzsBimmer
If you want stiffer without lowering, replace your stock bushings with poly.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 11:59 PM   #5
Brian_Fantana
Private First Class
Brian_Fantana's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
187
Posts

Drives: 09 Alpine white E90 M3 DCT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Gig harbor wa

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer
If you want stiffer without lowering, replace your stock bushings with poly.
Sorry I'm just now responding. I was driving aggressively today and the rub over large bumps was killing me. When you say bushings which ones are you referring to? Subframe, or shock tower or other? I have been on Turners website and there's a lot of options but I'm not someone that's tracking my car. Thanks for your help in advance.
__________________
They've done studies, you know. Sixty percent of the time, it works every time. ~ Brian Fantana
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 08:49 AM   #6
z3papa
First Lieutenant
United_States
14
Rep
380
Posts

Drives: 11 E92 M3 ZCP, 07 335i, 02 Z3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bloomington IL

iTrader: (2)

Dumb question -- what size tires are you running. Diameter is the biggest factor on rubbing just ahead of width and offset.
__________________
2011.5 E92 M3 ZCP.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 11:43 AM   #7
Brian_Fantana
Private First Class
Brian_Fantana's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
187
Posts

Drives: 09 Alpine white E90 M3 DCT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Gig harbor wa

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3papa
Dumb question -- what size tires are you running. Diameter is the biggest factor on rubbing just ahead of width and offset.
Rears tires are 275/35/19 PSS and I'm not sure on my offset its whatever forgestar sent me with a 9.5" wheel width. In the past I ran the 220M's with a 12mm spacer and didn't rub as much. So I'd say 15mm over the stock 220M offset is probably where I'm at now.
__________________
They've done studies, you know. Sixty percent of the time, it works every time. ~ Brian Fantana
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 12:40 AM   #8
BzsBimmer
2-4-6-8 My car and house depreciate
BzsBimmer's Avatar
United_States
78
Rep
2,528
Posts

Drives: 2010 E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Modesto CA

iTrader: (15)

Send a message via Yahoo to BzsBimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Fantana View Post
Sorry I'm just now responding. I was driving aggressively today and the rub over large bumps was killing me. When you say bushings which ones are you referring to? Subframe, or shock tower or other? I have been on Turners website and there's a lot of options but I'm not someone that's tracking my car. Thanks for your help in advance.
I would call Turner and get their advice on what bushings to replace.
I have more knowledge on the E46 M3 platform but I would imagine FCAB, RTAB, sway bar etc.

I would also check your rear wheel or tire setup. Some tires on the same offset/width wheels will rub simply because of the profile of the sidewall.

I only honed in on the fact you stated that you wanted to stiffen things up a bit without going lower. I would also think that you want a more compliant ride than a stiffer ride as to not be bouncy.

Also I don't remember if you stated you were on stock suspension or on something else. All of these things can play a factor.

Oh and Z3papa knows his stuff (assuming he's a he) after reading some of his other posts, he seems very up to task on suspension.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 01:09 PM   #9
Brian_Fantana
Private First Class
Brian_Fantana's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
187
Posts

Drives: 09 Alpine white E90 M3 DCT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Gig harbor wa

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
I would call Turner and get their advice on what bushings to replace.
I have more knowledge on the E46 M3 platform but I would imagine FCAB, RTAB, sway bar etc.

I would also check your rear wheel or tire setup. Some tires on the same offset/width wheels will rub simply because of the profile of the sidewall.

I only honed in on the fact you stated that you wanted to stiffen things up a bit without going lower. I would also think that you want a more compliant ride than a stiffer ride as to not be bouncy.

Also I don't remember if you stated you were on stock suspension or on something else. All of these things can play a factor.

Oh and Z3papa knows his stuff (assuming he's a he) after reading some of his other posts, he seems very up to task on suspension.
I reached out to them but I was confused about my offset thinking I was +38 (i thought the greater the number the further towards the fender) but i'm closer to a +8 #rookiemove I took it to les schwaab today to have my camber adjusted though. They said I was at -1.7 and he moved me to -2.1 so I'm hoping that will give me the clearance to not rub anymore.
__________________
They've done studies, you know. Sixty percent of the time, it works every time. ~ Brian Fantana
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:31 PM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST