BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
Evolve Automotive
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-24-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
Dave07997S
Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Playa del Rey, CA

Posts: 2,407
iTrader: (1)

2013 SVT Mustang GT500

Car and Driver just ran a 11.8@125mph, 0-60 in 3.5 and 0-100 in 7.8 sec. Oh, it pulled 1.0g on a 300 ft. skidpad.

Here's the article..http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-test-review-blue-ton-of-horsepower-page-1

I know we will hear, "its a Ford?!", it can't turn or the interior sucks..whatever, don't care. This car rocks!!

Dave
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Dave07997S is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-24-2012, 06:27 PM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,030
iTrader: (42)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
I'd take one, but not if I had to give up the M.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-24-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
Erhan
Colonel
 
Erhan's Avatar
 
Drives: Cooper S
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle

Posts: 2,466
iTrader: (0)

I was watching Chris Harris' M5 video on youtube yesterday. He said BMW stole all the good people from Ford because Ford was beating them badly in European Touring Car Championship... And then they came up with E28 M5. So what was that again about Ford? Not to mention Ford is building FR500S and Boss 302S race cars which cost around a fully loaded M3. These are brand new, factory built race cars. I have huge respect to Ford these days.
__________________
2011 MINI Cooper S
previous cars: E92 M3, Z4MC, Z4 Roadster, E36 328 Sedan
Erhan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-24-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
templarklimek
templarklimek
 
Drives: 13' X6M, 14' M6 CP, M235 OTW
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Houston Texas

Posts: 673
iTrader: (0)

While the dash is cheaplooking I could live with the rest of the interior plus the performance. You can get recaro's too. I wish BMW had recaros as an option. Mini does.......
templarklimek is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-24-2012, 08:14 PM   #5
M3Denver
Lieutenant
 
M3Denver's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW M3
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Denver CO

Posts: 423
iTrader: (0)

Give me a ford car with a shape I can love a d I'll ditch the m
M3Denver is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #6
swanson
Convicted Felon
 
swanson's Avatar
 
Drives: chariot
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 1,383
iTrader: (0)

This car rocks. I'd love to get one
swanson is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-25-2012, 09:08 AM   #7
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,030
iTrader: (42)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by templarklimek View Post
While the dash is cheaplooking I could live with the rest of the interior plus the performance. You can get recaro's too. I wish BMW had recaros as an option. Mini does.......
I've sat in the Ford Recaros. Nothing to be desired IMO. I'd rather buy a better set to put in.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #8
M3 Montreal
Colonel
 
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Montreal , Canada

Posts: 2,166
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S
Car and Driver just ran a 11.8@125mph, 0-60 in 3.5 and 0-100 in 7.8 sec. Oh, it pulled 1.0g on a 300 ft. skidpad.

Here's the article..http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-test-review-blue-ton-of-horsepower-page-1

I know we will hear, "its a Ford?!", it can't turn or the interior sucks..whatever, don't care. This car rocks!!

Dave
I'd like to see how it transitions. I find cars nowadays are getting better on lateral G but a track will have transitions and bumps.

I don't think the rear suspension can handle anything but the smoothest road surfaces.

Until they put that beast of an engine in a better chassis with IRS I would pass on it as it still a straight line car.

My 08 M3 was stolen and I rented a 2013 mustang GT for a few weeks. I was VERY disappointed with its handling. The engine was great but it can't handle bumps at all. It bounces way too much in the back.

Wait for the new chassis that will come out with IRS. I think then it will be a contender for track use.

That's my opinion and I came VERY close to picking one up when mine was stolen but in the end I ordered a 2012 M3 because I hated the bounciness and terrible transitioning.

I would buy the Camaro over the GT500 as its proven to handle extremely well on the track and has plenty of power for street use. My problem with the camaro is its weight.

I think the next gen Mustang and Camaro will be amazing. I would hold off unless you prefer drag racing.

The gt500 does 0 to 60 in first gear which helps on that amazing time.
__________________
2012 E92-M3 Space Grey on Fox Red, DCT

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red
M3 Montreal is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-25-2012, 02:17 PM   #9
Dave07997S
Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Playa del Rey, CA

Posts: 2,407
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Montreal View Post
I'd like to see how it transitions. I find cars nowadays are getting better on lateral G but a track will have transitions and bumps.

I don't think the rear suspension can handle anything but the smoothest road surfaces.

Until they put that beast of an engine in a better chassis with IRS I would pass on it as it still a straight line car.

My 08 M3 was stolen and I rented a 2013 mustang GT for a few weeks. I was VERY disappointed with its handling. The engine was great but it can't handle bumps at all. It bounces way too much in the back.

Wait for the new chassis that will come out with IRS. I think then it will be a contender for track use.

That's my opinion and I came VERY close to picking one up when mine was stolen but in the end I ordered a 2012 M3 because I hated the bounciness and terrible transitioning.

I would buy the Camaro over the GT500 as its proven to handle extremely well on the track and has plenty of power for street use. My problem with the camaro is its weight.

I think the next gen Mustang and Camaro will be amazing. I would hold off unless you prefer drag racing.

The gt500 does 0 to 60 in first gear which helps on that amazing time.


I don't plan on getting this car as I somewhat agree with you that the next Mustang is the one to get. However, the GT500 even with its live axle handles quite well and did amazingly well in the lightning lap of america.

A 3.73 final drive and some d/r's and this car is in the 10s, amazing.

Dave
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Dave07997S is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #10
krnnerdboy
Colonel
 
krnnerdboy's Avatar
 
Drives: v10 m6
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: so cal

Posts: 2,039
iTrader: (10)

here was my boss 302


and I would have no issues beating up on any m car on the track, but the problem was that this car would beat you up on the streets as the above poster mentioned. The ride was soft but the transitions were poor and the rear end would always have you on edge, although I never had an issue, I was never at ease. Imagine about 2 or 3 more bump/weight transitions than needed. This was cuased by the panhard bar setup that was designed to move the axle from left to right when compressing, but you could get a watts link setup if you wantd to fix that. BTW this was the most neutral car I had ever been in on the track. With 500 miles on the odometer and with just 3 laps on the car my buddy bested a 1:27 at streets of willow with a lot more left in it.

Considering the gt500 is getting the full boss suspension treatment and some, this thing is going to be in the low 7:40 range on the nurburgring. Quite simply bmw has nothing that will touch this in the performance category, I don't even think the new m3 will come close to it. Hell I even think the boss 302 is faster than my v10 m6 i traded in for. but as many have mentioned before there;s more to a car than just numbers. My boss sat in my garage until trackdays bc I had no desire to drive it on the streets, but man what a beast on the track
__________________

W463, f30, 640i gc , gt3
Recent past: z4m, x5 lci, boss 302, c6 z06, m6
krnnerdboy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-25-2012, 05:05 PM   #11
e92involved
Captain
 
e92involved's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 BMW e92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SF Bay Area

Posts: 646
iTrader: (1)

Hot damn, guess I will be buying another one!
__________________
e92involved is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-25-2012, 05:19 PM   #12
e92involved
Captain
 
e92involved's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 BMW e92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SF Bay Area

Posts: 646
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
I'd take one, but not if I had to give up the M.
Second that. I like being able to turn the wheel over 120
__________________
e92involved is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-25-2012, 05:40 PM   #13
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: Legacy GT - 13.704@99.39
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Manheim, PA

Posts: 1,866
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnnerdboy View Post
here was my boss 302

and I would have no issues beating up on any m car on the track, but the problem was that this car would beat you up on the streets as the above poster mentioned. The ride was soft but the transitions were poor and the rear end would always have you on edge, although I never had an issue, I was never at ease. Imagine about 2 or 3 more bump/weight transitions than needed. This was cuased by the panhard bar setup that was designed to move the axle from left to right when compressing, but you could get a watts link setup if you wantd to fix that. BTW this was the most neutral car I had ever been in on the track. With 500 miles on the odometer and with just 3 laps on the car my buddy bested a 1:27 at streets of willow with a lot more left in it.

Considering the gt500 is getting the full boss suspension treatment and some, this thing is going to be in the low 7:40 range on the nurburgring. Quite simply bmw has nothing that will touch this in the performance category, I don't even think the new m3 will come close to it. Hell I even think the boss 302 is faster than my v10 m6 i traded in for. but as many have mentioned before there;s more to a car than just numbers. My boss sat in my garage until trackdays bc I had no desire to drive it on the streets, but man what a beast on the track
My son recently traded his GTI (bought for track use) in on a Boss 302 LS, and also finds that M3s are no problem on track. He thinks the Boss is fine for short-medium rides on the street, but wouldn't take it cross country.

In short, his experience mirrors yours. Of course, since he bought it for the track, he's unreservedly delighted.

The C63 soldiers on as his slightly more civilized street ride.

Bruce
bruce.augenstein@comcast. is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2012, 05:40 PM   #14
sycd
Lieutenant
 
sycd's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 M3 ZCP DCT
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA

Posts: 409
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Bunch of crappy plastic put together with a monster engine in the middle. They can keep it.
__________________
2013 X5 xDrive50i | Carbon Black | M Sport + M Perf, 333M Wheels
Sold: 2012 E92 M3 | Jet Black, Fox Red/Black | DCT, ZCP
sycd is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      05-27-2012, 09:26 AM   #15
mark896
Warrant Officer
 
mark896's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 335is
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Alabama

Posts: 452
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycd View Post
Bunch of crappy plastic put together with a monster engine in the middle. They can keep it.
Hate to say it but I agree. You can make a Yugo faster than a Veyron, but at the end of the day, it's still a Yugo. Guess I'm getting older but it's not all about horsepower to me anymore.
mark896 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #16
crabman
Captain
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: WA

Posts: 669
iTrader: (0)

I have a suspicion that no one is noticing the "crappy plastic" when the "monster engine" is doing its thing which is the reason for entry anyways. Comparing the car to a yugo is utterly wrong. My guess is the cars real quality (initial defects, reliability, long term durability) both short and long term will exceed the M3s we drive around in right now. But please feel free to stick your noses in the air and pretend superiority because you drive a BMW which for years as a brand has lagged behind Ford in pretty much every real quality measure that can be made other than the hard to quantify "Just how much of a cock is the man who drives this car?" factor.
__________________
2012 E92 Space Grey with fox red/black/black, comp, premium, DCT, premium sound, sirius, heated seats.
crabman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #17
edever
New Member
 
Drives: 2012 M3
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: KCMO

Posts: 19
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman View Post
...BMW which for years as a brand has lagged behind Ford in pretty much every real quality measure that can be made...
That sounds more like hyperbole than anything; could you enumerate those real quality measures?
edever is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #18
I M STIG
RawAutos.com
 
I M STIG's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Carolina

Posts: 477
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Montreal View Post
I'd like to see how it transitions. I find cars nowadays are getting better on lateral G but a track will have transitions and bumps.

I don't think the rear suspension can handle anything but the smoothest road surfaces.

Until they put that beast of an engine in a better chassis with IRS I would pass on it as it still a straight line car.

My 08 M3 was stolen and I rented a 2013 mustang GT for a few weeks. I was VERY disappointed with its handling. The engine was great but it can't handle bumps at all. It bounces way too much in the back.

Wait for the new chassis that will come out with IRS. I think then it will be a contender for track use.

That's my opinion and I came VERY close to picking one up when mine was stolen but in the end I ordered a 2012 M3 because I hated the bounciness and terrible transitioning.

I would buy the Camaro over the GT500 as its proven to handle extremely well on the track and has plenty of power for street use. My problem with the camaro is its weight.

I think the next gen Mustang and Camaro will be amazing. I would hold off unless you prefer drag racing.

The gt500 does 0 to 60 in first gear which helps on that amazing time.
The Camaro, while a tad more comfortable in the rear, is a piece of shit by comparison. Drive both cars for a week and you'll enjoy the lighter weight, nicer interior, and the overall ability to see out of the Mustang much better.

I had an '08 Bullitt Mustang, and I honestly don't understand what you guys are talking about. The rear end wasn't perfect over bumps, especially when it corners, however it wasn't as bad as anyone's making it out to be. I also had a 2011 GT for a week with the Brembos, 3.73 with LSD, etc. and I found the car to be fantastic. It was not as good as my M3, but it was better than a Corvette for every day use, as well as a cross-country tourer.

The Mustang is more car than people give it credit. The solid rear axle is no snake charmer, but it's certainly good enough for any sort of use.

I haven't driven the Boss on or off track, so I can't comment there.

And while we're being honest, for those who don't like the plastics of the Mustang, have you seen what happens to a $70,000+ M3 after 30K miles?! The steering wheel and grab handle trim comes off on your fingers, the seats make noises when getting out of the car, the whole interior rattles like it's a damn Cadillac CTS. That's atrocious!

So for those talking shit about the Mustang, remember that our M3s are not perfect, and for the money, aren't as good as they could be.
__________________

2009 E90 M3| Jerez Black | Extended Silver Novillo with Brushed Aluminum | 6MT | EDC | Premium Package II | Convenience Package | Enhanced Premium Sound | HD Radio | Heated front seats | Fold down rear seats | Moonroof | 19" wheels |
RawAutos.com
I M STIG is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #19
mark896
Warrant Officer
 
mark896's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 335is
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Alabama

Posts: 452
iTrader: (0)

I dont think the Mustang is a piece of shit, I just can't see paying $80K for one--no matter how much hp they put in it.
mark896 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-27-2012, 01:15 PM   #20
swanson
Convicted Felon
 
swanson's Avatar
 
Drives: chariot
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 1,383
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark896 View Post
I dont think the Mustang is a piece of shit, I just can't see paying $80K for one--no matter how much hp they put in it.
but you have no problems paying near that for a modified 3 series?
swanson is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #21
crabman
Captain
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: WA

Posts: 669
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edever View Post
That sounds more like hyperbole than anything; could you enumerate those real quality measures?
Pick your poison, JD power initial defects, long term defects, reliability. Or any other such entity that looks at these things if you prefer. It makes no difference as you will see it wherever you go. BMW has fallen behind Ford and others in terms of quality, fact, not hyperbole.

Here is a cut and paste since you seem to want to be spoon fed, notice Ford at number 5 compared to BMW at 16 where it sits lower than Hyundai or even Chevrolet. Notice outside of the stunningly bad Land Rover there is no lower rated luxury brand manufactured in any country? MB, Audi, Lexus, Cadillac, Lincoln, Infiniti, all higher rated. Again you will see this pretty much everywhere you go looking at any real measure of quality. Do the research yourself and see what you think then. I like my M3 a great deal but I'm not going to pretend its the best thing since deep dish pizza just because its a BMW.

Porsche (83)
Acura (86)
Mercedes-Benz (87)
Lexus (88)
Ford (93)
Honda (95)
Hyundai (102)
Lincoln (106)
Infiniti (107)
Volvo (109)
Ram (110)
Audi (111)
Cadillac (111)
Chevrolet (111)
Nissan (111)
BMW (113)
Mercury (113)
Buick (114)
Mazda(114)
Scion (114)
Toyota (117)
Subaru (121)
Chrysler (122)
Suzuki (122)
GMC (126)
Kia (126)
Jeep (129)
Dodge (130)
Jaguar (130)
Mini (133)
Volkswagen (135)
Mitsubishi (146)
Land Rover (170)
__________________
2012 E92 Space Grey with fox red/black/black, comp, premium, DCT, premium sound, sirius, heated seats.
crabman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #22
edever
New Member
 
Drives: 2012 M3
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: KCMO

Posts: 19
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman View Post
...JD power initial defects, long term defects, reliability.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman View Post
Here is a cut and paste since you seem to want to be spoon fed...
I just wanted to know what you felt were "real quality measures".
edever is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:08 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST