BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

GT Haus

05-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
Money2536
Major

Drives: ' 15 M3 | '14 911 C2S

Garage List
Photos from My First and Last Track Event

Well...I went to my first track event last month at Sebring. It was a Chin Event, so it was very well run. I certainly learned a lot. Call me a pansy, but track driving is not for me. My excuse for never going was that I needed to have two cars before I would go. So when I got the S4 I figured it was time at age 32. I had the vision that I would become addicted and love every minute of it. I've also had this lifelong GT3 crush and thought I would become a track junkie. Well, the good news is that I will be saving a crap load of money. I really, really didn't enjoy the experience. Maybe I'm just too cautious, but I am not particularly interested in doing this again. I understand this is what the car was built to do, but I don't care. I just want to shine it up, put cool aftermarket parts on it, and take it to and from work and the gym occasionally. The other epiphany I had, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but I no longer want a 911. What's the point? Why deal with all of the leaking, rattling, and terrible sounding exhausts if you aren't going to take it to the track?

Anyway, I'm glad I paid for photos. I'm also fed up with front lips on this car. The Challenge lip came loose, and I had to take it off in the middle of the day. I need to just buy some OEM splitters.

05-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #2
JAdamz
M3NTAL

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Great pics! Care to elaborate why you disliked it so much? Did you just not like the abuse of the car that comes with tracking?
JAdamz is offline   United_States
      05-23-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
Money2536
Major

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAdamz View Post
Great pics! Care to elaborate why you disliked it so much? Did you just not like the abuse of the car that comes with tracking?
It was a combination of things. I felt on edge the entire time and a '12 GTR ended up hitting the tire wall a few hundred yards in front of me. Overall, I was exhausted by the intensity and violence of the track. I adore my car entirely too much. I think the main reason for the discomfort is that I don't make enough money to not care if I smash my car.
      05-23-2012, 09:13 PM   #4
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
It's definitely not for everyone. At least you can be honest with yourself (and us) about it.
      05-23-2012, 09:14 PM   #5
Rob@StrasseWheels

Drives: 2013 MW/FR E92 M3

Send a message via AIM to Rob@StrasseWheels
I love your car and that exhaust!!!

Sorry to hear about you not liking the track but it's not for everyone! I hear you on liking to keep the car nice and clean and making it look good though!
      05-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #6
bmwtech13
Lieutenant

Drives: 08 E90 M3

I agree with the others; at least you went once and found out for youself. Props for doing that!
bmwtech13 is offline   United_States
      05-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #7
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST

Drives: 2014 Toyota GT-86

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money2536 View Post
I think the main reason for the discomfort is that I don't make enough money to not care if I smash my car.
I admire the shit outta what you just said there. You got it out of your system now enjoy the car.

"what I'm driving here...is an ending." Jeremy Clarkson
2014 Whiteout Toyota GT-86 6mt(Presently enjoying WAY more than anticipated)
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
PhillyNate is offline   United_States
      05-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #8
kaiv
Major

Drives: E92 M3

Me thinks your front lip came loose because it wasn't secured properly to begin with!
kaiv is offline   United_States
      05-23-2012, 09:57 PM   #9
GOLFFRR

Drives: Golf Cart

Well at least you can say you did it! I still have yet to do in any of my cars. I did track a lot at performance center when I went to the M driving school but I am still hesitant on taking my own car out there. Im very intimidated of the track as of now

On the bright side the car looks great, and those pics are stunningly crisp.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL US FIRST WE CAN HOOK YOU UP!
Need a quote or assistance from David? GO HERE-->http://www.bimmerdavid.com/#!blank/c1r1e
Davids current ED Special M235/228--> http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1013211
      05-23-2012, 10:00 PM   #10
Money2536
Major

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiv View Post
Me thinks your front lip came loose because it wasn't secured properly to begin with!
I am now an expert at front lip installation. The tape never seems to work for too long. Maybe it's the humidity in FL.
      05-23-2012, 10:02 PM   #11
dibxna
Lieutenant

Drives: 2015 MW F82 M4

very good experience to have if you had someone with you to show you correct lines to take and so forth. judging by the pics you had someone with you which i presume was an instructor of sorts?

you may wish to try something like a bondurant school where the cars are provided for you to see if it was more a dislike of using your own car and worrying over the wear and tear or truly just not your cup of tea.

my family races (included my mom) and at a young age they tried to get me in to shifter carts. i said hell no and refused for my entire teenage years. fast forward a few years and my gf got me a bondurant experience for a day and i absolutely loved that yet my thoughts are the same as yours. if i had to use my own car... probably wouldnt love it as much because i spend way too much time and money keeping my car looking clean and fully operational. smashing into a wall or bank of tires or similar would horrify me and as a result I have not tracked my m.

at any rate... your car looks awesome and as all others have said its admirable that you tried and realized you don't love it.

good pics and sweet car man!
*56' ford f-100 truck :: NSX blue :: lowered :: custom interior :: custom audio :: colorado custom wheels*
dibxna is offline   United_States
      05-23-2012, 10:04 PM   #12
dibxna
Lieutenant

Drives: 2015 MW F82 M4

ps.

holler at me if you want to sell the front lip
*56' ford f-100 truck :: NSX blue :: lowered :: custom interior :: custom audio :: colorado custom wheels*
dibxna is offline   United_States
      05-23-2012, 10:22 PM   #13
E30_80Y
Still love my E30

Drives: E30S52+E90M

hey Matt!! I don't know what kind of connection you and your OLD ARKYM front lip have, but 2 days ago I damaged the one I got from you! :*( coincidence or scary connection ahahahahahahha

Sorry to hear about yours! I do feel the same "I don't make enough money to throw this car on the track" just the damage on my front lip got me feeling down for half a day lol

Last edited by E30_80Y; 05-23-2012 at 10:28 PM.
E30_80Y is offline   United_States
      05-23-2012, 10:29 PM   #14
richardg
Major

Drives: e36M / e92M / e36 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money2536 View Post
It was a combination of things. I felt on edge the entire time and a '12 GTR ended up hitting the tire wall a few hundred yards in front of me. Overall, I was exhausted by the intensity and violence of the track. I adore my car entirely too much. I think the main reason for the discomfort is that I don't make enough money to not care if I smash my car.
I could agree with that one. I am not in quite a position to just smoosh my car. But there is track insurance, which is what I always do. I love tracking my car but after 2 close calls early this season I have decided on buying and building something cheaper and wreck-able.
      05-23-2012, 10:56 PM   #15
STooK
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 E93 M3

hmm you're the first person i ever heard admit that. i too am like you, always wanted to track but never found the chance myself.

maybe try autocrossing with a cheap car but one that's very capable? like a miata?
STooK is offline   United_States
      05-23-2012, 11:25 PM   #16
DARK_M3
Banned

Drives: 08 E90, 89 Grand Wagoneer

Perfectly ok decision. Many might say that a car like this was "made to track" or whatever but I don't agree. I have tracked two of my cars in the past but I don't think I will track my M3. I did it. It was cool. But like you said, I don't need to take the added risk with my dd these days.

If someone wants to pay me to run one of their cars in an actual "race", then ok. I love racing and that sounds cool. But that's not going to happen. There's a hundred people that are better drivers than me that have been doing it longer than me. To simply "hot lap" your car (that's not paid for by a team) is really just unneccissary wear and tear on your car and nobody's rebuilding it for you on their dime. It's fun but a rather silly notion at the same time.
      05-23-2012, 11:34 PM   #17
radiantm3
Apex Everything!

Drives: >1000 HP in my garage

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
Lots of respect for giving it a shot and making a decision based on your own experience.

My first track day was pretty intimidating and overwhelming as well, but I ran with BMWCCA and they probably have the best track record for safety. If there are ever any BMWCCA events near you in the future, I highly recommend giving it another shot. I've done around 6 days now and driving on the track feels very natural now. I'll admit it did take a good 3-4 track days to really start to feel comfortable. Don't give up the dream!
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is offline   United_States
      05-23-2012, 11:37 PM   #18
spdy330
Major General

Drives: 05 Tundra, 11 M3, 08 Odyssey

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to spdy330 Send a message via Yahoo to spdy330
As others have said tracking is not for everyone. I have not and don't plan to track mine either. A friend of mine said to me once why did I buy an M3 if I do not plan to track it? Not too sure what owning an M3 and tracking have to do with each other. I mean you can track any car but that does not make it the reason to have bought the car.

Good for you OP!
- 2011.75 E90 M3 - BMW Performance Exhaust, BMW Performance Grills, Lux H8 V3, Reflector delete Euro style, Ceramic Tint 58%, Brembo 380mm BBK, V1 with custom multi-color display by www.Radar-Mirror.com - custom radar mount by www.performancepackage.com.
spdy330 is offline   United_States
      05-23-2012, 11:57 PM   #19
radiantm3
Apex Everything!

Drives: >1000 HP in my garage

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdy330 View Post
Not too sure what owning an M3 and tracking have to do with each other.
I think the point is, you can't experience the capabilities and limits of this car anywhere but at a race track and that's one of the great aspects about this car. Driving the M3 at the track makes driving it ANYWHERE ELSE a complete bore. I've done quite a few canyon runs recently and even they don't come even close to to the enjoyment of driving at a track. Experiencing the balance this car has at the limits of grip around a corner is a wonderful thing and it just doesn't happen on the street unless you have way more balls than brains.

But yes, the M3 makes a better daily driver than a track car and there's nothing wrong with not taking it to the track. It's nothing like buying a GT3RS just to daily drive it.
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is offline   United_States
      05-24-2012, 12:58 AM   #20
skim
Lieutenant

Drives: 07 Z4MC

That's an admirable decision. At least you tried it to find out. Many don't even try it or too scared to.
I think part of the reason is that your first experience was at Sebring. It's walled so you make a big enough mistake and the result wouldn't be pretty like the GTR.
I started at a track where it was built on a dirt field so I had all the room to run off when I made mistakes.
I then tracked at Laguna Seca on a rainy day and I was dead for 2 days from stress. So I think I understand where you are coming from.

Take it easy and try to enjoy and learn the car control and driving dynamics. This is the only way you truly learn how to "drive" IMHO. Who knows.. you may get hooked the second time.
      05-24-2012, 03:21 AM   #21
jonasaurus
Brigadier General

Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]

Well done for giving it a shot, but I think in different circumstances i.e. less aggressive environment you'd find it a lot more enjoyable. I find tracking helps you appreciate the car even more even if it does make 'normal' driving a feel a bit dull. Not like you need to go out and abuse the crap out of the car, its just a case of pushing the car towards its limits in a more controlled manner.

Nevertheless the pictures looks great!
      05-24-2012, 06:41 AM   #22
the infamous...
Relapsed Bimmerpost Addict

Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

atleast u gave it a try, n shame bout ur lip...

"simple is clean" -The ///ModFather
the infamous... is offline   United_States