BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-22-2012, 10:37 PM   #1
MojorisinM3
Major
MojorisinM3's Avatar
59
Rep
1,091
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Nashville, TN

iTrader: (0)

Anybody from Manual to DCT?

I'm not looking to start another manual vs. dct pissing contest, but looking for those who have switched from one to the other. I had an SMG in my 05 M3 and miss the rev matching. I try to heel / toe in DD situations, but its too hard with dress shoes on, and unless you're driving very aggressive, the pedals dont always line up.

With the SMG, I drive 100% of the time with paddles, not looking for the auto mode.

I've looked around at other cars, and I plan to keep an E9x M3 in the garage for a LONG time.

So I have an 08 manual sedan. I'm thinking about switching to a DCT coupe. However its going to cost me $3k to $4k to make a jump.

So the reasons for the switch - basically rev matching.

Reasons not to switch - DCT can get expensive out of warranty vs. manual clutch. I'm basically getting the same car I have now but with a DCT for $4k.

Thoughts from anybody? Should I just keep my sedan, which I LOVE by the way, and shut up?
__________________
2011 E92 M3 Comp / MPE / DCT

Last edited by MojorisinM3; 05-22-2012 at 10:38 PM. Reason: sp
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 11:59 PM   #2
klammer
Brigadier General
43
Rep
3,245
Posts

Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago

iTrader: (0)

From what I've gathered, those that track make the switch, nobody else has :
__________________
mods: akra evo, dinan 3.45 diff, ess akra tune, dinan stg.3, Alcon bbk, HRE P40
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 12:45 AM   #3
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
78
Rep
6,774
Posts

Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (4)

Never..unless my left leg gets amputated in a horrible accident...then still never..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 02:49 AM   #4
pharmdphd98
PharM3
pharmdphd98's Avatar
6
Rep
295
Posts

Drives: 2010 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

I was on the fence on this issue a month or so ago. Thank God I woke up and realized how boring it would be to drive this great car without the M transmission.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 03:34 AM   #5
roastbeef
Major
roastbeef's Avatar
United_States
43
Rep
1,205
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (1)

i don't have an M yet, but i'll be getting a DCT. reason being, comfort in driving on socal roads. also, i'm not very experienced with a stick, and i don't want to screw up and make a bad mistake in an M.
plus, i plan to track my car, and DCT just seems like it would be tons of fun.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 03:43 AM   #6
M5Hambre
Soldier
0
Rep
63
Posts

Drives: 2013 M5 SGM
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

I was torn with the same issue, as I have an 08 E92 M3 6MT. Looked forward to just cruising around in a DCT car during traffic. Until I traded cars with a friend of mine with a newer DCT sedan. After less than a week, I got so bored without a manual transmission and couldn't wait to get back into my car. Some days, driving a manual can def become tiresome, but it will always remain much more involving. GL with whatever decision you make. I also think it's easier to speed driving a DCT cause driving a manual really makes me pay attention to how fast I am going as well as RPMs. I got pulled over right away driving my friend's DCT M3.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 04:20 AM   #7
OC3
Havin' a blast!
OC3's Avatar
United_States
56
Rep
4,819
Posts

Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmdphd98 View Post
I was on the fence on this issue a month or so ago. Thank God I woke up and realized how boring it would be to drive this great car without the M transmission.
What is this "the M transmission" you speak of?


Quote:
Originally Posted by FongSYM3 View Post
I was torn with the same issue, as I have an 08 E92 M3 6MT. Looked forward to just cruising around in a DCT car during traffic. Until I traded cars with a friend of mine with a newer DCT sedan. After less than a week, I got so bored without a manual transmission and couldn't wait to get back into my car. Some days, driving a manual can def become tiresome, but it will always remain much more involving. GL with whatever decision you make. I also think it's easier to speed driving a DCT cause driving a manual really makes me pay attention to how fast I am going as well as RPMs. I got pulled over right away driving my friend's DCT M3.
You crack me up.
__________________

BRP CW13 1:56 | CVR CW 2:01 | CVR CCW 2:02 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
2013 E92 M3 Jerez Black DCT ZCP | JRZ RS Pro | Brembo | Endless | Volk TE37 18x10.5 squared | NT01/TD/ContiGrandAm | no other mods, nor weight shavings
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 07:05 AM   #8
budski
Private First Class
United_States
3
Rep
149
Posts

Drives: 2012 SSII E92 DCT ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Savannah

iTrader: (1)

I've had manuals in every vehicle that I've owned that it was offered in and decided for the DCT after riding in my boss's e60 m5 smg.

Every once in a while I miss the good ole standard gear box but here's my new found reason for it being "worth" it. Our cupholders suck and the roads near my place are worse than Baghdad's. It's nice to drive around with one hand on the steering wheel and the other hand holding my cup of java. Once I get on the main highway, the cup's about half way and doesn't have much of a chance to splash/spill/tip over in my interior.

I'm a slave to the bean.
__________________

ESS VT2 625 | Brembo 380mm F/R | Stack Gauges | Meisterschaft GT | KW V3 | Perf Steering Wheel | Challenge GT Lip | Perf CF Spoiler | CF Mirror Caps

Tundra TRD Rock Warrior
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 07:32 AM   #9
armyav8tor
n1smo
armyav8tor's Avatar
United_States
31
Rep
1,453
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: North Carolina

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
If you want to make the switch because you can't heel/toe in dress shoes then you need to practice more. Drive barefoot if you have to, have a extra set of driving shoes in the back seat... anything to help you get comfortable with driving a manual. You are going to beat yourself up like some of these other guys if you don't because you'll feel like you passed up on a challenge and it'll start eating you up and you'll end up coming back here and bitch about how you wished you kept your manual because it is so much more involved.... blah blah blah..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 07:55 AM   #10
mjposner
Major
mjposner's Avatar
United_States
54
Rep
1,413
Posts

Drives: 2012 E93 M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: US

iTrader: (2)

I went from a manual Z4M to the DCT and it has been six months and I am loving it. I always drive in s mode and it is alot of fun. I tried to go full auto before and it was to boring. Right hand did not know what to do.

I believe that it is the engagement that makes driving fun, dct or manual means you have to pay attention and shift. Except for the left foot, it is really similar mentally. Do i want to drive easy, rev high, downshift etc.

I spent two weeks on vacation in my wife's autobox, and when I got home I took the M out. Funny thing, I actually slammed my left foot to the floor, forgetting their was no manual clutch!
__________________
Previous BMW: 14 M235i, 11 BMW M3; 08 BMW M3; 08 BMW Z4M; 04 X3; 02 M3 Convertible; 02 M3; 00 M Roadster; 94 325 convertible; 85 635csi
My other ride: www.mjposner.com/corvair
Check out my Mountain retreat:www.blueridge-rental.com
My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 08:32 AM   #11
MojorisinM3
Major
MojorisinM3's Avatar
59
Rep
1,091
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Nashville, TN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyav8tor View Post
If you want to make the switch because you can't heel/toe in dress shoes then you need to practice more. Drive barefoot if you have to, have a extra set of driving shoes in the back seat... anything to help you get comfortable with driving a manual. You are going to beat yourself up like some of these other guys if you don't because you'll feel like you passed up on a challenge and it'll start eating you up and you'll end up coming back here and bitch about how you wished you kept your manual because it is so much more involved.... blah blah blah..
Yeah, I've been practicing and sometimes bring a pair of puma's to wear on longer drives. then switch to sandles when i arrive.
__________________
2011 E92 M3 Comp / MPE / DCT
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 08:32 AM   #12
MojorisinM3
Major
MojorisinM3's Avatar
59
Rep
1,091
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Nashville, TN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FongSYM3 View Post
I was torn with the same issue, as I have an 08 E92 M3 6MT. Looked forward to just cruising around in a DCT car during traffic. Until I traded cars with a friend of mine with a newer DCT sedan. After less than a week, I got so bored without a manual transmission and couldn't wait to get back into my car. Some days, driving a manual can def become tiresome, but it will always remain much more involving. GL with whatever decision you make. I also think it's easier to speed driving a DCT cause driving a manual really makes me pay attention to how fast I am going as well as RPMs. I got pulled over right away driving my friend's DCT M3.
good info thanks
__________________
2011 E92 M3 Comp / MPE / DCT
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 10:02 AM   #13
///Machine
Second Lieutenant
///Machine's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
247
Posts

Drives: '13 E92 M3 / '11 X5d
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FongSYM3 View Post
I also think it's easier to speed driving a DCT cause driving a manual really makes me pay attention to how fast I am going as well as RPMs. I got pulled over right away driving my friend's DCT M3.
Yep, nothing like driving your friend's car like you stole it. It's the right time to test most efficient apexes and how close to the curb you can get.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 10:39 AM   #14
Projectile
Second Lieutenant
Canada
5
Rep
232
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (0)

If you're not driving on a track, you don't need to heel-toe.

When you are finished breaking, clutch in, select gear, then throttle blip with your right foot (it doesn't need to break anymore, because, remember, you're finished breaking) and let the clutch out at the appropriate time. That's still plenty fun to practice, and it only takes a second longer.

So you say that you want rev-matched downshifts: well, you can easily have them without having to spend the money, and without the hassle of heel-toeing, and without worries of DCT related repair costs in the future.

I always drove manuals, but got a DCT 3 years ago. It is a marvel, but after a while, I got bored, and recently got a new e92 with 6MT, and I'm loving it. I haven't started heel-toeing in it yet, as I'm still getting used to rev matching as described above in this car, which I consider a pre-requisite to heel-toeing.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 10:49 AM   #15
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
283
Rep
11,693
Posts

Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojorisinM3 View Post
So I have an 08 manual sedan. I'm thinking about switching to a DCT coupe. However its going to cost me $3k to $4k to make a jump.
I did that exact switch -2008 E90 M3 6-speed to 2012 E92 M-DCT- and absolutely no regrets... and I'm not going back to manuals as long as there is a DCT option.
__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT: August 2014 ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: Gone
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 12:40 PM   #16
PutterMcGavin
Second Lieutenant
5
Rep
224
Posts

Drives: '89 E30 325is S50 Mtech II
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (2)

I was strictly going for a 6mt when looking but after driving the manual M3 and the DCT I chose the DCT. For some reason didn't like the feel of the manual in this car.

Plus I have a manual in my E30 which is sometimes more fun than the M. It has a full suspension, sways, etc. and is much more "raw." So best of both worlds! Modern brutal, technical power or old school knife edge "youretotallyincontrol" driving
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 01:17 PM   #17
SD-E93-11
First Lieutenant
United_States
3
Rep
324
Posts

Drives: 2011 E93 M3 Jerez Black/Black
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjposner View Post

I believe that it is the engagement that makes driving fun, dct or manual means you have to pay attention and shift. Except for the left foot, it is really similar mentally. Do i want to drive easy, rev high, downshift etc.
As another long-time manual driver who switched to DCT I agree.

If you've driven manual it makes you appreciate the performance of DCT in S-mode even more.

Also the "lack of engagement" argument just indicates that the poster hasn't spent much time driving DCT in S-mode. In S-mode you're actually switching gears more then when driving a manual and just as aware of the relationship between your transmission, the engine, and the road. You're just doing it more efficiently.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #18
TVMA Doc
Captain
TVMA Doc's Avatar
9
Rep
721
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3, Jerez Black
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SF Bay

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmdphd98 View Post
I was on the fence on this issue a month or so ago. Thank God I woke up and realized how boring it would be to drive this great car without the M transmission.
The M3 is hardly boring no matter which transmission it is paired to. It might be considered boring if you compare it to some other vehicles, however.

Take my other vehicle, the S2000. There's nothing like a 9k redline, no traction or stability control, and a chasis that loves to snap oversteer. Never a boring moment...
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 01:07 AM   #19
pharmdphd98
PharM3
pharmdphd98's Avatar
6
Rep
295
Posts

Drives: 2010 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMA Doc View Post
The M3 is hardly boring no matter which transmission it is paired to. It might be considered boring if you compare it to some other vehicles, however.

Take my other vehicle, the S2000. There's nothing like a 9k redline, no traction or stability control, and a chasis that loves to snap oversteer. Never a boring moment...
And what you said about the S2K is exactly what makes it one of the most pure and beloved fun cars in the history of Honda motors; second only to the NSX.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 06:42 AM   #20
LarThaL
Colonel
LarThaL's Avatar
104
Rep
2,806
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West Springfield, MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-E93-11 View Post
As another long-time manual driver who switched to DCT I agree.

If you've driven manual it makes you appreciate the performance of DCT in S-mode even more.

Also the "lack of engagement" argument just indicates that the poster hasn't spent much time driving DCT in S-mode. In S-mode you're actually switching gears more then when driving a manual and just as aware of the relationship between your transmission, the engine, and the road. You're just doing it more efficiently.
The lack of engagement issue has to do with the physical actions of using a clutch and shifter and the sensory feedback you get as you modulate the engine-drivetrain interface.

It has nothing to do with transmission, the engine and the road, but rather with the driver being more a part of the mechanics of changing gears. In a manual, you are part of the machine.

"You're just doing it more efficiently" is the wrong chouce of words. You are doing very little. The car is doing it all, other than a finger blip of a paddle.

DCT is more convenient for use in traffic just like any other automatic mechanism transmission, and it is faster on a track for sure. It is just not as much fun for the driver after the novelty has worn off, especially if you are a seasoned MT driver.

That said, there are cars in which I would take a dual clutch over a manual. Those are the performance cars with very high torque motors that are becoming more commomplace these days. It becomes increasing difficult to modulate big torque on the street. If I was to get an M5, for instance, I would get DCT. Just too hard to play around with 500+ lb-ft. Sure you can do it, but you have to be too gentle, such that some of the fun is gone. And fun is really the only reason to get a manual these days.
__________________
2011 BMW M3 * 2014 Audi S6 * 2015 Audi S3 * 2015 Porsche Cayman GTS
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 04:03 PM   #21
SD-E93-11
First Lieutenant
United_States
3
Rep
324
Posts

Drives: 2011 E93 M3 Jerez Black/Black
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
The lack of engagement issue has to do with the physical actions of using a clutch and shifter and the sensory feedback you get as you modulate the engine-drivetrain interface.

It has nothing to do with transmission, the engine and the road, but rather with the driver being more a part of the mechanics of changing gears. In a manual, you are part of the machine.

"You're just doing it more efficiently" is the wrong chouce of words. You are doing very little. The car is doing it all, other than a finger blip of a paddle.

DCT is more convenient for use in traffic just like any other automatic mechanism transmission, and it is faster on a track for sure. It is just not as much fun for the driver after the novelty has worn off, especially if you are a seasoned MT driver.

That said, there are cars in which I would take a dual clutch over a manual. Those are the performance cars with very high torque motors that are becoming more commomplace these days. It becomes increasing difficult to modulate big torque on the street. If I was to get an M5, for instance, I would get DCT. Just too hard to play around with 500+ lb-ft. Sure you can do it, but you have to be too gentle, such that some of the fun is gone. And fun is really the only reason to get a manual these days.
Well you tried to dress it up a little but your post is pretty much identical to the standard reply in these DCT vs. 6MT threads where the 6MT drivers' posts:

A) Romanticizes what is a pretty basic driving skill in most of the world.

B) Attempts to establish themselves as the "fun police" and define what is fun vs. not fun for the rest of us (sorry, but as a seasoned MT driver, I still find the DCT to be more fun).

C) Contain at least one factual error about DCT, typically caused by making statements about DCT with limited or no first-hand experience.

The DCT does have a shifter and if you polled long-time DCT drivers who drive in S mode I suspect that most of them use it quite a bit over the paddles if not more.

Yes, you were correct the 6MT has a clutch pedal where the DCT does not. If interacting with that pedal is "engaging" and "fun" enough for you where it offsets the compromised performance vs. a DCT, then I congratulate you on making the right choice for you.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 04:06 PM   #22
armyav8tor
n1smo
armyav8tor's Avatar
United_States
31
Rep
1,453
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: North Carolina

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-E93-11 View Post

A) Romanticizes what is a pretty basic driving skill in most of the world.

B) Attempts to establish themselves as the "fun police" and define what is fun vs. not fun for the rest of us (sorry, but as a seasoned MT driver, I still find the DCT to be more fun).
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:01 PM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST