BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

EXXEL Distributions

06-25-2015, 12:02 AM   #1
Doc Oc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 DCT Coupe

Pennzoil ultra 5w40

Made the switch from 1060 to the pu and thought I'd share something I noticed pretty quickly. Once up to temp the oil gauge fluctuated a good bit more than with the 1060. After any spirited run the needle would quickly go to 215 or so and and as soon as I returned to driving normally it would settle right back to a tick under 210 where it normally resides. I'm not worried about the actual temperature as it didn't get any higher than usual, I was just surprised how much quicker the needle responded to driving input now. Not sure what it means but it means something

Other thoughts are that the engine is definitely quieter on startup. Also less jerking and hesitating when cold. Not perfect but better than ever before. I didn't notice much of a difference in how quickly it revved or anything like what s lot of people report when they switch to m1, but maybe that's because this is a 5w. Overall I'm glad I switched.

Last edited by Doc Oc; 09-03-2015 at 07:36 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 02:22 AM   #2
Gumulri
Captain
South Korea
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i convertible[sold]

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Oc View Post
Made the switch from 1060 to the pu and thought I'd share something I noticed pretty quickly. Once up to temp the oil gauge fluctuated a good bit more than with the 1060. After any spirited run the needle would quickly go to 215 or so and and as soon as I returned to driving normally it would settle right back to a tick under 210 where it normally resides. I'm not worried about the actual temperature as it didn't get any higher than usual, I was just surprised how much quicker the needle responded to driving input now. Not sure what it means but it means something

Other thoughts are that the engine is definitely quieter. Also less jerking and hesitating when cold. Not perfect but better than ever before. I didn't notice much of a difference in how quickly it revved or anything like what s lot of people report when they switch to m1, but maybe that's because this is a 5w. Overall I'm glad I switched. Car seems happier.
I told you gonna like it.
2014 toyota Fj cruiser 4x4 for me
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 01:25 PM   #3
IIAp3x
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 M3

Quote:

Other thoughts are that the engine is definitely quieter. Also less jerking and hesitating when cold. Not perfect but better than ever before. I didn't notice much of a difference in how quickly it revved or anything like what s lot of people report when they switch to m1, but maybe that's because this is a 5w. Overall I'm glad I switched. Car seems happier.
Where did you purchase the oil? I have been looking for it and thinking about using this oil rather than 0w40...

If Ferrari has faith in it then I think its probably a good oil!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 02:06 PM   #4
Doc Oc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 DCT Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIAp3x View Post
Where did you purchase the oil? I have been looking for it and thinking about using this oil rather than 0w40...

If Ferrari has faith in it then I think its probably a good oil!
Believe it or not my local advance auto had 9 qrts in stock. ECS Tuning also sells it. http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Site...oil/ES2580345/

After running it awhile I'm noticing some pros and cons. Major pro: car doesn't stutter and buck nearly as bad when cold as it did with the 1060. That's the major thing I've noticed. It might heat up a little quicker too, hard to tell. Car doesn't seem to rev anymore freely as some have noted w/m1. Could be the 5w or it could be that I was expecting to feel something akin to a lightweight flywheel. I can't tell much difference though. As for pros, like I stated above, it reacts to throttle input much faster than the 1060 and runs a few degrees hotter too. Also, I noticed some smoke coming out of the fill hole yesterday after a hard run. Now I've seen this on a hundred cars before and it's normal, but I have never seen it happen with the 1060 on this particular car. That's probably nothing but I figured I'd mention it. Lastly my car seems to have a little more valve noise on cold starts (as soon as it cranks I can hear more mechanical noises than in the past) than with the 1060, but my rattle/clunk that happens only after running a second or two is better. Strange.

Last edited by Doc Oc; 07-01-2015 at 02:18 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 05:07 PM   #5
GenaFishbeck
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

Hey Doc Oc – BMW recommends a 10W-60 motor oil in M3 series engines. If your M3 is 10 years old or newer, we recommend you follow BWM’s recommendation. Pennzoil Platinum Racing 10W-60 with PurePlus Technology is approved for today’s BMW M Series vehicles, and Pennzoil is the only aftermarket motor oil recommended by BMW. While Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40 motor oil is approved for the BMW LL-01 specification, it is not recommended for BMW M Series engines. Hope this info helps! - The Pennzoil Team
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 06:21 PM   #6
WingZeroX5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3

Ive been using PU with pureplus 0w-40 for a year now with 15k miles
      07-02-2015, 07:29 PM   #7
admranger
Major
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3, 2005 X5, 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenaFishbeck View Post
Hey Doc Oc – BMW recommends a 10W-60 motor oil in M3 series engines. If your M3 is 10 years old or newer, we recommend you follow BWM’s recommendation. Pennzoil Platinum Racing 10W-60 with PurePlus Technology is approved for today’s BMW M Series vehicles, and Pennzoil is the only aftermarket motor oil recommended by BMW. While Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40 motor oil is approved for the BMW LL-01 specification, it is not recommended for BMW M Series engines. Hope this info helps! - The Pennzoil Team
How does your 10w-60 flow compared to the castrol 10w-60? Can you post specs on low temp flowability (e.g., viscosity, etc.)?

You might want to look up the rod bearing issues these S65 motors have been having. RB clearances are considered pretty tight by some. We'd love to hear Pennzoil's take on the clearances and if you'd still recommend your 10w-60 in this specific situation...
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 05:33 PM   #8
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
How does your 10w-60 flow compared to the castrol 10w-60? Can you post specs on low temp flowability (e.g., viscosity, etc.)?

You might want to look up the rod bearing issues these S65 motors have been having. RB clearances are considered pretty tight by some. We'd love to hear Pennzoil's take on the clearances and if you'd still recommend your 10w-60 in this specific situation...
Castrol 10W60 Edge pro and Shell 10W60 have pretty much the exact same viscosity at 100C and 40C. You shouldn't experience any difference between the two oils. Major difference would be in the additive package, which will can only show up in an UOA with a TBN.

If I remember correctly, 160cst at 40c, 23~24cst at 100C. Compare with M1 0W40's 75cst at 40C, 10W60 is way to thick for start up protection in my opinion.

Last edited by Leonardo629; 07-03-2015 at 07:42 PM.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 12:35 AM   #9
XxMerlinxX
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

What I'm curious about with Pennzoil Ultra are the certifications. Pennzoil Platinum Euro has the kind of certs I look for, including BMW LL-01. And since Ultra is marketed as a higher tier lubricant than Platinum, one would assume that Ultra would carry the same, if not more, amount of certifications. However if you go to Pennzoil's website, you see that there are far fewer certifications listed.

Is this a money issue? Pennzoil doesn't want to pay to have Ultra certified for something like BMW LL-01?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 02:07 AM   #10
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

All I can tell you is Shell/Pennzoil is one confusing company when it comes to their lubricant business.

If you visit Pennzoil.com, under Pennzoil Platinum-->specifications you'll see 0W40 and 5W40, both Euro oil, but why is 0W40 not BMW LL-01 certified while 5W40 is? They both share pretty much all other European certs like VW, MB and Porsche A40. Did they simply assume all BMWs are driven in the warmer parts of the globe, hence no need for 0Wxx? Can there be more confusion?

I think Shell/Pennzoil is simply following the product placement strategy of Exxon/Mobil and Castrol, Euro certs only in the premium line of oil, not the extended performance line. Why? You ask, because Euro certs already have extended performance criteria baked into the formulation.

No Euro formulation
Exxon/Mobil --> Mobil 1 EP
Castrol --> Castrol Edge EP
Shell/Pennzoil --> Platinum Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxMerlinxX View Post
What I'm curious about with Pennzoil Ultra are the certifications. Pennzoil Platinum Euro has the kind of certs I look for, including BMW LL-01. And since Ultra is marketed as a higher tier lubricant than Platinum, one would assume that Ultra would carry the same, if not more, amount of certifications. However if you go to Pennzoil's website, you see that there are far fewer certifications listed.

Is this a money issue? Pennzoil doesn't want to pay to have Ultra certified for something like BMW LL-01?

Last edited by Leonardo629; 09-03-2015 at 12:38 PM.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 12:27 PM   #11
squartus
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 6MT

Garage List
2010 E92 BMW M3  [5.00]
Yea I noticed the same thing using Motul 5w40 I just switched to. Drops temp MUCH faster than the 10w60, but gets no hotter that iv noticed. And yea runs much more quiet, especially at startups.

Curious to see if oil consumption goes down as well.

ESS VT2-625/Volk te37 sl's/AA exhaust/DSS Carbon Fiber driveshaft/ARH Headers.. etc
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 01:43 PM   #12
dparm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo629 View Post
Castrol 10W60 Edge pro and Shell 10W60 have pretty much the exact same viscosity at 100C and 40C. You shouldn't experience any difference between the two oils. Major difference would be in the additive package, which will can only show up in an UOA with a TBN.

If I remember correctly, 160cst at 40c, 23~24cst at 100C. Compare with M1 0W40's 75cst at 40C, 10W60 is way to thick for start up protection in my opinion.
Both also have HTHSV of 5.4, meaning their operational viscosity in places like the bearings should be largely the same.
      09-03-2015, 01:44 PM   #13
dparm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
All I can tell you is Shell/Pennzoil is one confusing company when it comes to their lubricant business.

If you visit Pennzoil.com, under Pennzoil Platinum-->specifications you'll see 0W40 and 5W40, both Euro oil, but why is 0W40 not BMW LL-01 certified while 5W40 is? They both share pretty much all other European certs like VW, MB and Porsche A40. Did they simply assume all BMWs are driven in the warmer parts of the globe, hence no need for 0Wxx? Can there be more confusion?

The 0w40 lacking BMW certs is curious, especially considering SOPUS is blending the new BMW TwinPower 0w40 oil.
      09-03-2015, 02:31 PM   #14
XxMerlinxX
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

I'm going to reach out to Pennzoil to see if I can get some answers. I also sent a PM to someone on the board who I believe is a Pennzoil rep.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 02:36 PM   #15
dparm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post

Castrol TWS has a CCS @ -25C of 4879. No MRV was published.

Pennzoil Platinum Racing 10w60 has a CCS @ -25C of 6200. It also has MRV @ -30C of 33400.
      09-04-2015, 02:32 PM   #16
m3m3mr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
The 0w40 lacking BMW certs is curious, especially considering SOPUS is blending the new BMW TwinPower 0w40 oil.

The SOPUS contract with BMW must not allow them to compete directly with the BMW 0w40. I would be surprised if it's not the exact same oil in both bottles.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 02:40 PM   #17
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Pennzoil Platinum 0W40 Euro is not the same as BMW Twin Power 0W40, confirmed by a Pennzoil rep awhile back.

Personally I think they are the same stuff, judging by all the approvals from MB/VW/Porsche on the off the shelf PP 0W40 Euro, but if BMW warranty if on your mind, then you should probably stick with 10W60 or BMW Twin Power 0W40.

Last edited by Leonardo629; 09-04-2015 at 02:51 PM.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 10:34 AM   #18
GenaFishbeck
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxMerlinxX View Post

Good question XxMerlinxX – Our present Pennzoil Platinum Euro Full Synthetic 5W-40 & 5W-30 motor oils are specifically formulated for the Euro applications/specifications for which they have been tested and certified. While the Platinum Euro formulation used to be called Pennzoil “Ultra” Euro, the “Ultra” was removed from all of our Euro-specific motor oils during our renaming process. The current Pennzoil Ultra Platinum products are not formulated or certified for the Euro-type specifications/applications, but the Pennzoil Platinum Euro products are. Bottom line: the Platinum name is the highest tiered product in the Euro product family, while the Ultra Platinum name is the highest tiered product in the non-Euro product line-up. Hope this info helps! – The Pennzoil Team
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 10:46 AM   #19
m3m3mr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenaFishbeck View Post
Good question XxMerlinxX – Our present Pennzoil Platinum Euro Full Synthetic 5W-40 & 5W-30 motor oils are specifically formulated for the Euro applications/specifications for which they have been tested and certified. While the Platinum Euro formulation used to be called Pennzoil “Ultra” Euro, the “Ultra” was removed from all of our Euro-specific motor oils during our renaming process. The current Pennzoil Ultra Platinum products are not formulated or certified for the Euro-type specifications/applications, but the Pennzoil Platinum Euro products are. Bottom line: the Platinum name is the highest tiered product in the Euro product family, while the Ultra Platinum name is the highest tiered product in the non-Euro product line-up. Hope this info helps! – The Pennzoil Team

Interesting no specific mention of the Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0w40 weight in the reply.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 01:20 PM   #20
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I just called a few dealers here in So. Cal...no one carries 0W40.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 02:17 PM   #21
dparm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I just called a few dealers here in So. Cal...no one carries 0W40.
BMW TwinPower 0w40 is P/N 83212365945. ECS and other online shops stock it.

The Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w40 is available on Amazon for $52.77/case ($8.80/qt), but you can get it for less via Subscribe & Save:
http://www.amazon.com/Pennzoil-55004...=pennzoil+0w40
      09-10-2015, 02:40 PM   #22
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

yeah Dan I want to do some comparison on my own dime, but ECS wants $17.xx to ship one quart of Twin Power 0W40 to my house.

I can at least get my hands on Pennzoil 0W40 Euro at a nearby Walmart using ship to store pick up.

I'm surprised dealers don't carry the 0W40....

*Update: Parts guy told me it has not been released by Shell**
Appreciate 0