BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

05-17-2012, 06:39 AM   #1
drvai
Major

Drives: E92 M3 AW

Hw much does the maintenance cost?

I wonder how much does the different usual maintenance items costs in the US . For example:

- Oil and filter
- Air filter
- Differential fluid
- Brakes
- Vehicle check

I'm trying to decide on the extended maintenance program
drvai is offline   United_States
      05-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
jphughan
Brigadier General

Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT

The general consensus is that extended maintenance isn't worth it unless you expect to get a set of front pads and rotors sometime during the maintenance period. I don't know exactly what that costs, but I think I remember reading $1200 for the fronts? If you do get a brake change during the warranty period it's still not a massive savings though, so if you're uncertain whether you will, you'd probably be better off saving your money. Extended warranty is another animal, though.
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder

Last edited by jphughan; 05-18-2012 at 09:34 AM.
jphughan is offline   United_States
      05-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
JerezBlacke92
Jabowocky

Drives: 2008 Jerez Black

Do you happen to know what the recommended mileage is for pads/rotors? 40k? 50k?
      05-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #4
jphughan
Brigadier General

Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerezBlacke92 View Post
Do you happen to know what the recommended mileage is for pads/rotors? 40k? 50k?
They're supposed to be given basic checks at every service appointment, but pad and rotor life probably varies more widely than any other wear item, except maybe tires. It's all about the type of driving and your style. For reference though, my car has 10K miles on it, almost all city and spirited back country road driving with 4 track days thrown in, and my front pads are at 60%. I'll be upgrading them because I got brake fade at my last event (as well as a soft pedal, which I fixed with better brake fluid), but these pads seem to last a while. If you have a fair amount of highway miles yours will probably last even longer since you don't brake nearly as much per mile on the highway compared to the type of driving I do (I'm almost never on the highway).

I think BMW tends to replace rotors every other pad swap unless the rotors have worn too thin or are warped.
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder

Last edited by jphughan; 05-18-2012 at 03:02 PM.
jphughan is offline   United_States