BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source
Closed Thread

05-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #23
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Toyota GT-86

Garage List
^I'm ok with spirited responsible driving. Always have been, but there's just such a razor thin line between it and irresponsibility. I would love to have an American Autobahn here but the fact is it won't happen and we have too many BAD/clueless drivers.

"what I'm driving here...is an ending." Jeremy Clarkson
2014 Whiteout Toyota GT-86 6mt(Presently enjoying WAY more than anticipated)
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #24
Dgarcia41982
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3 sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiedawg
as a traffic lawyer,i interact with the police a lot.i treat them with courtesy,and we generally get along well.i find that helps in resolving speeding cases,which are generally resolved by negotiation.for cases which are contested,i try the case hard,and there are usually no hard feelings at the end-we're both doing our job.most officers i encounter perform a hard job for not much money.there are some with a bit of an authority complex,but there are plenty of lawyers with that,too.

i am curious how officers feel about someone going fast in a high-performance car if the driver is otherwise being responsible-ie sober,not driving like an idiot,everything in good shape and up to date on the car,and a cooperative attitude.as you all know,it's easy to exceed the speed limit by a lot in these cars,without driving particularly dangerously.do you officers tend to cut people any slack in this situation,maybe thinking that's what you'd be doing if you had that car (or for you officers who have one,if you were driving yours ?)
Well said! I hate to say it but I feel like being a cop gives you the right to drive anyway you feel. I always wondered if they get pulled over (when off duty) do they ever get tickets. I've heard people say they dont due to professional courtesy. Anyway I'm jealous lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 05:58 PM   #25
Stealth ///M
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgarcia41982
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiedawg
as a traffic lawyer,i interact with the police a lot.i treat them with courtesy,and we generally get along well.i find that helps in resolving speeding cases,which are generally resolved by negotiation.for cases which are contested,i try the case hard,and there are usually no hard feelings at the end-we're both doing our job.most officers i encounter perform a hard job for not much money.there are some with a bit of an authority complex,but there are plenty of lawyers with that,too.

i am curious how officers feel about someone going fast in a high-performance car if the driver is otherwise being responsible-ie sober,not driving like an idiot,everything in good shape and up to date on the car,and a cooperative attitude.as you all know,it's easy to exceed the speed limit by a lot in these cars,without driving particularly dangerously.do you officers tend to cut people any slack in this situation,maybe thinking that's what you'd be doing if you had that car (or for you officers who have one,if you were driving yours ?)
Well said! I hate to say it but I feel like being a cop gives you the right to drive anyway you feel. I always wondered if they get pulled over (when off duty) do they ever get tickets. I've heard people say they dont due to professional courtesy. Anyway I'm jealous lol.
Furthest thing from the truth. One thing you should know about our jobs..

Hardest job to get, easiest to lose.

We're under public scrutiny 24/7. Even when I'm in the M, I drive with respect and courtesy. I could easily say that all my co-workers have the same attitude. Regarding the tickets, it all depends on the violation, location, and attitude. Don't believe me, check YouTube for police issuing police tickets.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #26
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth ///M View Post

We're under public scrutiny 24/7. Even when I'm in the M, I drive with respect and courtesy. I could easily say that all my co-workers have the same attitude. Regarding the tickets, it all depends on the violation, location, and attitude. Don't believe me, check YouTube for police issuing police tickets.
Now that's well said.

)
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #27
chief
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Melbourne Red M3 Coupe

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [4.67]
High Speed Highway System

I work for the government (not a peace officer) and nearly every day our staff are asked to make exceptions to the rules. In many instances we can accommodate these requests (because the requester/member of the public generally falls within the spirit of the law, and/or falls within other sections of the law). Good judgment and consistent application of your proceeds are key.

All that said, the root of the problems or reason for request of an exception (please officer don't give me a ticket I was only going 7 mph over the speed limit) generally rests within the convoluted, overly burdensome rules, regulations, and laws that govern every single facet of our lives.

Case in point...there are vast areas of this country that could be designated for high speed travel without the need to reengineer the highway system. We could debate about what the 'right' number should be (100, 125, 150...), but that's not my point here today.

A change in our driver education process, leading to changes in driver behavior and general acceptance of personal responsibility behind the wheel (no, you don't need to get to the left lane as soon as you get on the freeway while talking on your cellphone with one have and holding a coke in the other, driving with your knees and elbows at the grand old speed of 45 mph - sorry started ranting there for a moment).

In order for this to occur however, we the voters need to make our voices heard above those of safety, insurance and status quo interest groups...This is no small challenge but it could be done. We would need to draft required federal legislation removing the basic barriers to allowing states to implement designated high speed highway systems. We would need to draft the model system/process for states to adopt and talking points to support the system and counter opposing arguments.

I know that SEMA has a legislative team that could be helpful to this type of program (not saying they would buy into this, just that they are a resource to explore). Through them the real question would be could you get the major manufactures to participate. Could you get them to not oppose this change, and supply safety documentation stating that their vehicles are safe at high speeds (i.e., the vehicles can reasonably be expected to go, stop and turn at the already stated upper limit of each vehicles current rating - many basic econ-boxes are rated to 120+).

I know that there would need to be many other groups involved (complexity could be the biggest enemy) like technical associations, academic studies, social interest groups and others, but if a real cry for change doesn't begin with some group, this idea will never get off the ground. So I encourage you (queue the theme music) to think about how you can change the America, and what a model high speed highway system should look like.

Apparently the conversation of speeding tickets has struck a chord with me today.

Wow, long post...sorry about this.
Chief
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 08:03 PM   #28
Dave2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 Convertible

Quote:

I completely agree. There is a certain degree of professional courtesy extended depending upon the violation. I would have been hard pressed to write another law enforcement officer a ticket for any motor vehicle violation. We depend upon each other for our collective safety and there is fraternity amongst law enforcement personnel. But by the same token I have extended warnings, when a ticket would have been justified, to many motorists who had no law enforcement connection.

Last edited by Dave2; 05-20-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 08:14 PM   #29
Dave2
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgarcia41982 View Post
Well said! I hate to say it but I feel like being a cop gives you the right to drive anyway you feel.
This is not completely true. The chances of being cited for a traffic violation by another law enforcement officer are low: however all bets are off in the event of a collision. There is no escaping enforcement and civil liabilities if there is property damage or injuries.
      05-20-2012, 08:14 PM   #30
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 M5

The only people that hate law enforcement are those ones who breaks laws and put the society in danger and that is the reason we need good officers like you guys. Every man and woman in service should be well respected.
      05-20-2012, 08:18 PM   #31
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by py0413 View Post
The only people that hate law enforcement are those ones who breaks laws and put the society in danger and that is the reason we need good officers like you guys. Every man and woman in service should be well respected.
Thank you.

)
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #32
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
I appreciate the job you guys do.
I more than appreciate the job you guys do and could never thank you enough. You guys are the true hero's that put your lives on the line every day, risking it all for people you will never know. You have my upmost respect, Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #33
Dave2
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

We're under public scrutiny 24/7.
This is the part of the job that causes the most stress. Since Rodney King every aspect of the job is monitored. With any significant event and even with routine data mining there will be special interests that will criticize the things you did and the things you did not do.
      05-21-2012, 07:58 AM   #34
CPB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2 View Post
I would have been hard pressed to write another law enforcement officer a ticket for any motor vehicle violation.

And that's the rub. LEOs are above the law, but civilians get what they deserve?

Last edited by CPB; 05-21-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 08:28 AM   #35
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Great thread, and many interesting viewpoints.

Firstly, many thanks to the officers that help keep our world a civil place. Many of us joke around about "that asshole who gave me a ticket", but in all seriousness, you guys have a hard job, and you deserve much respect.

There are going to be bad seeds in any profession. Willing to bet there are more crooks in business suits on wall street that have done far more real damage to people's lives than there are bad cops.

People in all professions give professional courtesy their own. I am a physician. Do you really think I have to make appointments, and go through the same hoops as other patients? Of course not. My dad decided he needed a knee replacement surgery. According to the doctor's office, there was a 6 week wait. I called up my orthopedic surgeon buddy that I work with several times a week, and we got the surgery done within 5 days. This happens with ALL professions, so why are we surprised that it happens with law enforcement.

My only request to the LEO's is to please use proper discretion. If there is ice on the road, for instance, it may be dangerous to be even going the speed limit. On the other hand, on an empty, dry road, with clear visibility, please don't bother a completely sober, and focused enthusiast from having a little fun. We all know that speed limits are only partially related to real safety. There is definitely a component that is there to generate revenue. I wouldn't be surprised if insurance companies are lobbying politicians to keep speed limits lower than they need to be.

Thanks again !!

Last edited by LarThaL; 05-21-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 08:41 AM   #36
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL
Great thread, and many interesting viewpoints.

Firstly, many thanks to the officers that thelp keep our world a civil place. Many of us joke around about "that asshole who gave me a ticket", but in all seriousness, you guys have a hard job, and you deserve much respect.

There are going to be bad seeds in any profession. Willing to bet there are more crooks in business suits on wall street that have done far more real damage to people's lives than there are bad cops.

People in all professions give professional courtesy their own. I am a physician. Do you really think I have to make appointments, and go through the same hoops as other patients? Of course not. My dad decided he needed a knee replacement surgery. According to the doctor's office, there was a 6 week wait. I called up my orthopedic surgeon buddy that I work with several times a week, and we got the surgery done within 5 days. This happens with ALL professions, so why are we surprised that it happens with law enforcement.

My only request to the LEO's is to please use proper discretion. If there is ice on the road, for instance, it may be dangerous to be even going the speed limit. On the other hand, on an empty, dry road, with clear visibility, please don't bother a completely sober, and focused enthusiast from having a little fun. We all know that speed limits are only partially related to real safety. There is definiely a component that is there to generate revenue. I wouldn't be surprised if insurance companies are lobbying politicians to keep speed limits lower than they need to be.

Thanks again !!
What a concise and THOUGHTFUL viewpoint. Particularly about good and bad in EVERY profession. Thanks

)
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 09:14 AM   #37
WarrantyTracker
Track? What Track? I was just riding along . . .
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNate View Post
Thank you for that. We're not all dicks.

Wait . . . aren't all BMW drivers by definition . . . . Never mind.

No LEO = utter chaos.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 09:18 AM   #38
M3Denver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

I'm assuming all the police officers on here are the good ones who don't give out speeding tickets
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #39
Dave2
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPB View Post
And that's the rub. LEOs are above the law, but civilians get what they deserve?

You convieniently left out this part of the post:

" But by the same token I have extended warnings, when a ticket would have been justified, to many motorists who had no law enforcement connection."
      05-21-2012, 12:39 PM   #40
Stealth ///M
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPB
Seems like you didn't read the entire thread. Nice job!

The Law? As in criminal? Like murder and assault..? Or are you talking about motor vehicle "violations"?

Read: Professional Courtesy. It's a brotherhood, a fraternity, a subset of culture, and" thin blue line" as some call it.

We have discretion when it comes to motor vehicle violations, and most, I wish all, exercise that discretion when a fellow officer is operating the vehicle. However, like I stated before, check YouTube for videos.

Thanks for understanding.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #41
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

Quote:

Happy to see you made it home from VIR with no tickets. You must have used cruise control.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #42
Stealth ///M
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by von_zoom
Happy to see you made it home from VIR with no tickets. You must have used cruise control.
vz
Thanks! Although I've never been to VIR, I've heard good things about it.

(wrong guy?)

Been to watkins glen, mid Ohio, poconos, and njmp.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #43
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

Sorry, my bad. Wrong person
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #44
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Good to see a thread like this among the "wahh, I was speeding and got a ticket, no fair" threads.

Thanks for all you guys do. My dad was an officer in Philly for a while before he was injured in the line of duty. My sister is about to be a PA State Trooper.
Closed Thread