BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast

INDustry distribution

09-10-2015, 11:50 PM   #1
Three Pedal Steve
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 coupe' 6mt

Tail of Dragon- Oct. Weekday Outing?

It would be cool to gather up some M3's for a pass or two on the "Tail of the Dragon". During October, weekends in the mountains get pretty crowded so a weekday makes sense. To get the discussion started I propose the afternoon of Thursday Oct 8, 2015. With some advanced notice maybe there is time to schedule workloads to other days. While we are at it we can cruise the nearby "Cherohala Skyway"-a more beautiful and undiscovered road. Any takers?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 11:31 AM   #2
CognitiveDistortion
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

I would be down for a run up the tail but it might be a little tough for me since it is a weekday. Can confirm as the date gets closer.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 01:13 PM   #3
Three Pedal Steve
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The reason for a weekday is because October weekends are already jammed with other BMW events.
Oct. 3 Petit LeMans
Oct.10 Sandlappers M day at Performance Center
Oct. 17 Eurofest
Oct. 24 Sandlappers Mountain Driving in Maggie Valley

So let's see the interest level for a weekday event. If turns out that everyone is too busy working we'll consider a weekend in early Nov. or one of the Oct. weekends like Sunday after Petit LeMans.

It is interesting that the current issue of Roundel magazine has a three page article on the Minis trek to the Tail and never mentioned the Cherohala Skyway. It's a good thing.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 02:53 PM   #4
CognitiveDistortion
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

This is the first I'm hearing of this skyway and I've been to the tail 3 times. I will have to look out for this next time I head up there.

Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 03:43 PM   #5
Three Pedal Steve
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Cherohala Skyway / Joyce Kilmer National Forest

Between the Cherohala Skyway and the Tail of the Dragon lays a really special stand of ancient Poplar trees. These are among the largest trees in Eastern America. The walk is about 15 minutes in each direction.

Also in the neighborhood is the Snowbird Lodge, a world class yet rustic B&B that would make a good meet-up point. See attachment.

If this week day plan is not feasible others should consider organizing a weekend plan.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 12:01 AM   #6
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3

+1

I lived in Waynesville for 10 years and have made the Dragon run numerous times. The road to Highlands is nice too, just not for speed. Still have a home in Maggie...leaf lookers will be around in Oct though....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 12:13 AM   #7
Doc Oc
Captain fatbelly
Rep
Drives: 2008 DCT Coupe

I'm actually thinking of relocating to the waynesville/Maggie valley area. How do you like living there?

The skyway is beautiful but not the most challenging of drives. Moonshiners highway and the tail are really great and require more skill, but aren't as pretty. There's also a fantastic road not far from waynesville on Pisgah mtn. Its road 151 off the parkway. Unreal number of twists and turns, I like it better than the dragon, which I've been running for 15 years. Very similar road but without the traffic. Possibly longer too. It should def be a consideration. So close on the dates! I've got time off work next week and will be in Maggie valley 10/4-10/6. I plan on hitting most of these roads and looking for a some new ones. Anyone been on rd 32 off of 321 east coming out of Gatlinburg? Looks great on the map. Going to try to work it in during the trip. If anyone will be in the area those dates plz pm me!

Last edited by Doc Oc; 09-28-2015 at 12:22 AM.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 01:38 AM   #8
ASBSECU E93
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Oc View Post
I'm actually thinking of relocating to the waynesville/Maggie valley area. How do you like living there?

The skyway is beautiful but not the most challenging of drives. Moonshiners highway and the tail are really great and require more skill, but aren't as pretty. There's also a fantastic road not far from waynesville on Pisgah mtn. Its road 151 off the parkway. Unreal number of twists and turns, I like it better than the dragon, which I've been running for 15 years. Very similar road but without the traffic. Possibly longer too. It should def be a consideration. So close on the dates! I've got time off work next week and will be in Maggie valley 10/4-10/6. I plan on hitting most of these roads and looking for a some new ones. Anyone been on rd 32 off of 321 east coming out of Gatlinburg? Looks great on the map. Going to try to work it in during the trip. If anyone will be in the area those dates plz pm me!
I lived in Jonathan Creek Area of Waynesville for 10 years and worked in Asheville during that time. Wanynesville is a great place to live if you want a slower rural lifestyle with so much outdoor potential just a few miles away. I miss the scenery, and with Asheville only 30 miles away - some of the BEST food and drink you'll ever find!

321 is a great drive, 151 is awesome too. There are other great roads and destinations (Hot Springs). The road to Highlands is a nice twisty road with 3 fantastic waterfalls.

Will this be retirement or relocating for work?

Word of caution - RE is incredibly expensive. Otherwise, cost of living is fairly cheap. We sold our house about 3 years ago - but kept our condo at Maggie Valley Golf Club. PM me with any other questions about the area.
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 10:06 AM   #9
Doc Oc
Captain fatbelly
Rep

Small world....we always stay at Jonathan Creek Inn. What do you mean by RE is very expensive?

We have a business in Columbia that can be run with minimal interaction with us so we were thinking about splitting our time between cola and MV. 4 days a week in the mtns and 3 here. I have a ton of questions so if you don't mind I will def be pm'ing you!

The road to highlands is hwy 64 right? It is nice! Lots of great roads around there.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 12:39 AM   #10
Three Pedal Steve
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

For more spirited driving, the backroads such as 151, 281, and 215 will definitely be better than the "Tail" or Cherohala- too many cops. The TN side often has troopers at every turn. Hwy 64 west of Highlands is also very scenic but more crowded and patrolled. If plans come together for around the 10/4 - 10/6 timeframe we would like to join in. Hopefully all this rain will blow through by then.

A couple of years ago the M3's of bimmerpost put together a group of five M3's and we terrorized Hwy 276 from SC into Brevard and then on up to the parkway then went down 276 toward Waynesville and then back up 215 to the parkway and over to 281 back down to Toxaway, HWY 64 east to Rosman and then 178 back to SC. It was a great use of a tank of 93 octane.

And yes, real estate prices around western NC are surprisingly high. Too many wealthy Floridians who love to summer in the mountains.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 02:52 AM   #11
ASBSECU E93
Rep

R/E prices are simply overvalued in the Asheville and surrounding area...when I moved to Greensboro, I found that my $ bought considerably more home...

It's is truly a small world...I graduated from USC
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 10:15 AM   #12
Doc Oc
Captain fatbelly
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASBSECU E93 View Post
R/E prices are simply overvalued in the Asheville and surrounding area...when I moved to Greensboro, I found that my $ bought considerably more home...

It's is truly a small world...I graduated from USC
Lol, my daughter is in USC now. I wasn't sure what re meant. We've been looking at the rocky bottom area as well. I was actually surprised at the pricing of mtn homes there. Found many great homes with land for 200 or less. Haven't looked in the Asheville area though.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 10:34 AM   #13
Doc Oc
Captain fatbelly
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Pedal Steve View Post
For more spirited driving, the backroads such as 151, 281, and 215 will definitely be better than the "Tail" or Cherohala- too many cops. The TN side often has troopers at every turn. Hwy 64 west of Highlands is also very scenic but more crowded and patrolled. If plans come together for around the 10/4 - 10/6 timeframe we would like to join in. Hopefully all this rain will blow through by then.

A couple of years ago the M3's of bimmerpost put together a group of five M3's and we terrorized Hwy 276 from SC into Brevard and then on up to the parkway then went down 276 toward Waynesville and then back up 215 to the parkway and over to 281 back down to Toxaway, HWY 64 east to Rosman and then 178 back to SC. It was a great use of a tank of 93 octane.

And yes, real estate prices around western NC are surprisingly high. Too many wealthy Floridians who love to summer in the mountains.
Its funny you mention that 276 route, we ran pretty much the same thing (didn't go to 64) two weeks ago and were amazed how pretty it is from Waynesville down to Caesars head. We'd never gone much past 151 before and didn't realise what we were missing. Looking glass falls and the state park were beautiful. Nice road too!

We are booked at JC Inn this coming Sunday and Monday. Staying in the room Sunday to watch the packer game but will be running roads on Monday and Tuesday. Monday we are starting at the brp and doing some fall viewing around MV/Cherokee. Then we are heading into GBurg for a bit before heading over to rd 32 (which looks awesome) in the afternoon . Tuesday we will be spending most of the day in the area around 151 and down to CH. Open to any suggestions in that area and if you/anyone wants to link up, pm me and we can exchange info.

Last edited by Doc Oc; 09-30-2015 at 09:47 AM.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 11:25 AM   #14
ASBSECU E93
Rep

If you have time this trip, or plan time for your next trip up - ride to Asheville and hit 12 Bones Smokehouse....or take the Sierra Nevada Brewery tour in Mills River.

Another trip to take is 221 toward Blowing Rock to see the Lynn Cove Viaduct.....this is a shot I took several years ago.
Attached Images

Quote:

Last edited by ASBSECU E93; 09-29-2015 at 11:36 AM.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 02:32 PM   #15
Doc Oc
Captain fatbelly
Rep

Beautiful. Good info too...love BBQ.

Thats funny, we are planning a trip next month to the blowing rock/boone area and are going to go up to mountain city to try "the snake"...which is 421 I believe. Ever been on it?

Last edited by Doc Oc; 09-29-2015 at 02:47 PM.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 09:45 PM   #16
Three Pedal Steve
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I don't know about Hwy 421, but Hwy 221 between Lineville and Blowing Rock (and beyond) is a lot of fun. We were cruising the Blue Ridge Parkway two years ago and I kept getting distracted by 221. It snakes back and forth while the BRP is straight and slow. BRP has the views. 221 has the fun.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 01:16 AM   #17
ASBSECU E93
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Oc View Post
Beautiful. Good info too...love BBQ.

Thats funny, we are planning a trip next month to the blowing rock/boone area and are going to go up to mountain city to try "the snake"...which is 421 I believe. Ever been on it?
Make sure you get the Blueberry Chipolte BBQ sauce - even take a bottle home with you....it'll change your life. Pulled Pork place and The Smoked Turkey sandwich are must eats....Hours are 11 to 4 M-F both locations with the S Asheville location open on Saturday.

Know of it, but never driven on it....
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 09:40 AM   #18
Doc Oc
Captain fatbelly
Rep

Quote:
I don't know about Hwy 421, but Hwy 221 between Lineville and Blowing Rock (and beyond) is a lot of fun. We were cruising the Blue Ridge Parkway two years ago and I kept getting distracted by 221. It snakes back and forth while the BRP is straight and slow. BRP has the views. 221 has the fun.
221 is off of 421 between wilkesboro and boone. If you stay on 421 up past mtn city it turns into a great rd from what I hear. I'll keep 221 in mind as well. HopIng to check out the Linville caverns while there.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 09:42 AM   #19
Doc Oc
Captain fatbelly
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASBSECU E93 View Post
Make sure you get the Blueberry Chipolte BBQ sauce - even take a bottle home with you....it'll change your life. Pulled Pork place and The Smoked Turkey sandwich are must eats....Hours are 11 to 4 M-F both locations with the S Asheville location open on Saturday.

Know of it, but never driven on it....
Lol, sounds like it'll change my life by adding another layer to the fat suit I currently wear!. Good info thx!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 10:56 PM   #20
Get lit
HMFIC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW e90 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Bumping this up! Late notice but I'm in town and going to run the tail of dragon and cherohala parkway tomorrow. Probably get out there around 12 or so. Rain or shine I'll be there! If anyone wants to meet up let me know. It would be cool to have a few more cars to roll with!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 11:08 PM   #21
Three Pedal Steve
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Sorry to miss the fun. Other plans prevent a quick trip over there. Be sure to see the ancient Poplars in Joyce Kilmer National Park. It is right between the Tail and the Skyway. Enjoy.

....Passion Performance dyno room base lining bpm Tune.....
memories: '71 2002 (new), '72 Bavaria, '74 2002tii, '00 540i Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 11:51 PM   #22
Get lit
HMFIC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW e90 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Sorry to miss the fun. Other plans prevent a quick trip over there. Be sure to see the ancient Poplars in Joyce Kilmer National Park. It is right between the Tail and the Skyway. Enjoy.
Yea, definitely going to stop and check it out! I'm hoping it doesn't rain the entire day! Won't stop me from driving though!
Appreciate 0