BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source

05-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
quadpipes
Second Lieutenant

Drives: '11 E92 M3 IB/Beige,M-DCT,ZCP

Battery Tender Charge Time

I have read all the posts on the Deltran/BMW Battery Tender and have not found generally how long it takes the Deltran/BMW Battery Tender to transition from 'Charge' mode to 'Maintenance' mode. I just started using mine since I anticipate leaving my car idle for 3 weeks. I am trying it out today. It has been charging for about 6 hours now and I would have expected it to have already transitioned. Anyone with experience here that could chime in would be appreciated. It is currently driven regularly for several miles so the battery should not be depleted. Thanks.
      05-12-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
Mr C
Captain

Drives: E92 Dakar and E90 AW

Both of my M3s have been sleeping for two (2) weeks, and it's going to be another 3 or 4 weeks before I can get them out on to the street due to re-paving.

I have been using the same BMW/Deltran Tender on both of my M3s.

Both M3s had about a 70% charge the first time I hooked-up the tender. It stayed SOLID RED overnight, then turned to the BLINKING GREEN in the morning, then it took another 6 or 7 hours to turn SOLID GREEN.

When I pulled the tender off for a couple of days and re-connected, it seem to take about the same amount of time Red until the morning, then blinking Green for over half the day, then sold Green.

The unit is designed to charge/maintain the battery at a SLOW rate. As a matter of fact, if you had a completely drained battery it will take something like 3 or 4 days to go solid green.

I hoped this helped...
      05-12-2012, 11:06 PM   #3
quadpipes
Second Lieutenant

Drives: '11 E92 M3 IB/Beige,M-DCT,ZCP

Thanks a bunch friend. Yes this helped. I just checked mine and it just turned to blinking green (transitioning to maintenance mode) after initiating about 9 hours ago. I appreciate your response.