BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
E92 Lighting
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-23-2015, 09:48 PM   #1
pooyab
Private First Class
2
Rep
187
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Gas prices are going up, time for a second car...

Well the gift of low prices is coming to an end apparently, so I think I plan on getting a second car for a couple reasons.

1. Gas prices and 14 mpg don't go well together
2. Don't want to get too many miles on the car. It's a 2011 with 22k miles and I got it in November with 17k.
3. I've seen some really bad driving and parking in my parking garage, like SO bad that I seriously wonder how they have licenses, so I'd much rather keep the M3 at home.
4. Plus saved gas money means spent mod money

I'm looking at the Fiat 500e. Drove one today, instant torque is fun, and the black sport pack one looks nice. 87 mile range which will be enough for the daily commute of 60 miles a day. Dealer said $170/mo lease, but a friend got it for $98/mo so I'll look into that.

What other cars are good commuters?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 09:52 PM   #2
roastbeef
Captain
roastbeef's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
980
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

how much did they want down for that lease payment on the 500e? been looking at those myself.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 10:03 PM   #3
pooyab
Private First Class
2
Rep
187
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef
how much did they want down for that lease payment on the 500e? been looking at those myself.
It's $2400 down and you get a $2500 rebate. So you get a bit of money back. 10k miles per year was $150 I believe. I ask for 15k miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 10:04 PM   #4
kaede
Lieutenant
Canada
7
Rep
402
Posts

Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Vancouver BC

iTrader: (0)

Honestly if gas prices is an issue then are you sure you still want to keep the M3? xD (not trying to be offensive, but generally speaking, most performance car's fuel consumption should be around the same ballpark). I always try to park as far as possible from any other living soul =) so far never had a problem, but ultimately, it is almost inevitable if you're going to be driving the M3 and parking it anywhere besides at home safely in a garage. The M3 is a great commuter car but then again, if you're looking to keep the car as more of a garage queen, then looking for alternatives makes sense as well!

I also couldn't imagine the M3 getting 14mpg as well on 60 miles of highway commute (60miles should be mostly highway no? 60miles city is insane...) I get more than 20mpg+ on highways...

As for good commuters, WOW. If your friend is getting $98/month for the Fiat that is an INSANE deal. Diesel cars should be quite a good commuter as well, more luxury and livable than the Fiat (but of course, will NOT be $98/month). VW Golf TDI, Audi A3 TDI to name a few. You spend more, and get more back outta it too (although diesel prices isnt exactly cheap as well).

Good luck! Let us know what you settled with! Cheers!
__________________
94 NSX - Garage Queen
97 Integra Type R - Track Warrior (Sold)
01 BMW E39 M5 (Sold), 2x 02 BMW E39 M5 (Sold & sold)
07 E90 335i 6MT - RIP
08 E90 M3 6MT - DD
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 10:05 PM   #5
roastbeef
Captain
roastbeef's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
980
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooyab View Post
It's $2400 down and you get a $2500 rebate. So you get a bit of money back. 10k miles per year was $150 I believe. I ask for 15k miles.
i'd sign for that. basically after its all said and done, its $150 a month and i'd save that in gas. its like a free car to put miles on.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 10:14 PM   #6
STooK
Captain
STooK's Avatar
United_States
23
Rep
698
Posts

Drives: 2011 E93 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NYC

iTrader: (1)

It's definitely nice to have a second car along with the M3. I have a 2000 TL with 175k miles that does everything I don't want to do in my M3. It gets decent mpg (~20-24), practical, automatic, can drive everywhere even if roads suck, and best of all blends in with the traffic.

I split the drive for the week between the cars so both cars can get driven regularly. Also it's nice to jump back into the M3 after driving the TL for a few days...it feels like the first day all over again.
__________________
2011 BMW E93 ///M3 MW/FR/BLK 6 Speed - Top down is better

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 10:21 PM   #7
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
Crimson92's Avatar
United_States
308
Rep
28,657
Posts

Drives: Like a boss
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Whales Vagina

iTrader: (3)

22k pffft.

2011 with 52k miles. Daily driven since day one.

I should invest in oil.
__________________
Quote:
Some people are like slinkies...not really good for much but you can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs"
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 10:48 PM   #8
pooyab
Private First Class
2
Rep
187
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by STooK View Post
It's definitely nice to have a second car along with the M3. I have a 2000 TL with 175k miles that does everything I don't want to do in my M3. It gets decent mpg (~20-24), practical, automatic, can drive everywhere even if roads suck, and best of all blends in with the traffic.

I split the drive for the week between the cars so both cars can get driven regularly. Also it's nice to jump back into the M3 after driving the TL for a few days...it feels like the first day all over again.
Getting the M3 spark back seems like a pretty good bonus.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 10:49 PM   #9
pooyab
Private First Class
2
Rep
187
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
22k pffft.

2011 with 52k miles. Daily driven since day one.

I should invest in oil.
Invest in oil to make money to feed your car oil lol
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 10:49 PM   #10
pooyab
Private First Class
2
Rep
187
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
i'd sign for that. basically after its all said and done, its $150 a month and i'd save that in gas. its like a free car to put miles on.
Exactly. Plus you get carpool lanes.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 12:02 AM   #11
quicktwinturbo
Lieutenant
quicktwinturbo's Avatar
4
Rep
416
Posts

Drives: Limited Ed Toyota Camry
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: IL, AL, ATL, SC

iTrader: (2)

So, the gas price may go up and you are considering buying a car... Saved gas money = mods.... That doesn't make any sense to me but I think a used prius might be a good choice for you..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 12:20 AM   #12
Ashley Schaeffer BMW
Captain
Ashley Schaeffer BMW's Avatar
15
Rep
656
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Charlotte

iTrader: (1)

You guys were aware of the low MPG's before you bought the car right?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 12:47 AM   #13
pooyab
Private First Class
2
Rep
187
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Schaeffer BMW View Post
You guys were aware of the low MPG's before you bought the car right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicktwinturbo View Post
So, the gas price may go up and you are considering buying a car... Saved gas money = mods.... That doesn't make any sense to me but I think a used prius might be a good choice for you..
Yea, maybe the people in the parking garage is a stronger reason I'm looking for a second. Gas prices, money, mods are all additional supporting reasons, but I my dislike towards people and their care for other people's property are more important. So while I look for a cheaper car for that reason, I might as well accomplish the others as well, ya know what i mean?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 01:00 AM   #14
e92ben
Colonel
e92ben's Avatar
36
Rep
2,107
Posts

Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kenosha Wi

iTrader: (4)

It's not so bad here (Wisconsin). Around 45$ full tank daily driven. Daily drive it. Enjoy the crap out of it. If you can't afford the gas mileage it's the wrong car to own.
__________________

e92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 01:13 AM   #15
roastbeef
Captain
roastbeef's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
980
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

i love daily driving my car and i can absolutely afford it. however, living in socal, we have a ton of unlicensed drivers. as much as i love driving my m3 and don't mind putting miles on it, if i can drive something else, it reduces the chance for getting hit. unlicensed drivers almost always take off. plus, i'm sure it will reduce door dings at the gym and grocery store.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 01:17 AM   #16
nuespeedgti
Captain
nuespeedgti's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
765
Posts

Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Rehoboth, MA

iTrader: (3)

to be honest the mpg doesn't bother me so much, but the fuel capacity... why would bmw give us such a small tank
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 01:19 AM   #17
pooyab
Private First Class
2
Rep
187
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef
i love daily driving my car and i can absolutely afford it. however, living in socal, we have a ton of unlicensed drivers. as much as i love driving my m3 and don't mind putting miles on it, if i can drive something else, it reduces the chance for getting hit. unlicensed drivers almost always take off. plus, i'm sure it will reduce door dings at the gym and grocery store.
This guy knows what I mean. The second car is because of other people.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 01:24 AM   #18
pooyab
Private First Class
2
Rep
187
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I really would love to daily as I have been but the other day I saw someone driving backwards through the garage then hit a parked truck and move and park somewhere else...
And another person hit every curb in there.
I have trust issues with the people there.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 01:27 AM   #19
3SPKY5U
Not A Ghost
3SPKY5U's Avatar
Canada
8
Rep
536
Posts

Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Calgary, AB

iTrader: (0)

I daily my M3. And gas is much more in Canada then most states.
__________________
2012 Alpinweiss III E92 M3 ZCP - AA green filter - AA Test Pipes - MTEC LED AE's - GTS DCT - Euro MDM

Previous: 2007 Arktis Metallic E90 335i - 2012 Frozen Silver E92 M3 ZCP - 2014 Misano Red Audi S4 Technik - 2011 Obsidian Metallic Mercedes C63 AMG P31
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 02:04 AM   #20
loveskiing
Private First Class
United_States
15
Rep
129
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3 E90
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3SPKY5U View Post
I daily my M3. And gas is much more in Canada then most states.
You aren't kidding about gas prices up North...
I also wonder about door dings and folks that don't give a damn if they bang your car and leave...hate to be paranoid too...
I have another car (Honda) that I'm thinking I'll split time with the M3...don't want it to rust in the garage...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 03:22 AM   #21
Ezio
Brigadier General
Ezio's Avatar
United_States
53
Rep
3,218
Posts

Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MI

iTrader: (0)

funny how gas prices affect people driving cars like this....

my V8 m3 was priced at over 70k grand, with a gas tax... what are people thinking buying these cars with gas is a issue ?

on a side note gas isn't even expensive right now. Sure if gas hits stupid prices i will probably watch my driving. but its not anywhere near that.

I can understand if you want to keep miles down though, thats a real reason not to drive a expensive car.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 03:35 AM   #22
pooyab
Private First Class
2
Rep
187
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio
funny how gas prices affect people driving cars like this....

my V8 m3 was priced at over 70k grand, with a gas tax... what are people thinking buying these cars with gas is a issue ?

on a side note gas isn't even expensive right now. Sure if gas hits stupid prices i will probably watch my driving. but its not anywhere near that.

I can understand if you want to keep miles down though, thats a real reason not to drive a expensive car.
Yea maybe I won't stop DD it just yet. Might just start parking across the street or something in hopes of staying away from all those people lol. And maybe carpool to keep the milage down.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:03 PM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST